Profile for M. K. Krum > Reviews

Content by M. K. Krum

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

M. K. Krum "Consumer with attitude" (The Great State of Texas)

A Moveable Feast
A Moveable Feast
by Ernest Hemingway
Price: CDN$ 18.17
28 used & new from CDN$ 12.33

3.0 out of 5 stars Read for Hemingway, not for Paris, May 9 2003
This review is from: A Moveable Feast (Hardcover)
In preparation for an upcoming vacation to Paris, I thought I'd give "fine literature" a try. I have to admit I'm no fan of Hemingway. I just thought it would be great to see the City of Lights through a writer's eyes. My mistake was choosing an writer I don't really enjoy. Hemingway depresses me and this memoir was no different.
Bottom line: If you are a Hemingway fan, you'll love his take on the city. If you are looking for a book set in Paris and aren't already a Hemingway fan, this may not be the book for you.

Toddler Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Toddler Furniture, Clothing, Shoes, Travel Gear, Toys, and More!
by Denise Fields
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Because your bundle of joy gets MORE expensive with time!, Jan. 22 2003
And you thought diapers and formula were expensive. . . whew! You ain't seen nothin' yet! Toddler Bargains takes up where its predecessor, Baby Bargains, leaves off. Great discussion of toddler topics with clear explanations of some confusing topics--for example, what's the difference in a car seat versus a booster seat and what's with all the different training potties? As a first-time parent, I especially appreciate their clear definitions--so many folks just assume I know the lingo!
The best thing about all the Fields' books is that while they are serious about their consumer research, they can have a little fun along the way. For me, it's like having a friend in the business!
I'm lucky. I'm about three years behind the Fields in all their adventures, so about the time I need a book on a new topic, that's what they are releasing!

The Girlfriends' Guide to Surviving 1st year mother
The Girlfriends' Guide to Surviving 1st year mother
by Vicki Iovine
Price: CDN$ 13.36
126 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a reference on parenting, but on SURVIVAL!, Feb. 25 2001
The title says it all: The Girlfriends' Guide to SURVIVING the First Year of Motherhood. Folks, this book is not about parenting so much as it is about SURVIVAL. I loved it because I didn't need, want or expect a book about the Nirvana of motherhood, I wanted a book to help me with the REALITY of motherhood. I needed a book that looked at motherhood with a sense of humor as well as dispensing advice. If you are looking for a book by a doctor, this is not the book for you. If you are looking for a book that tells you like a Girlfriend would tell you, then BUY THIS BOOK. Keep it next to the toilet (the only place in the world you might find solitude and a chance to read). I reads nicely in small chunks of time. A great reference for those of us who don't have mothers, sisters or girlfriends close enough to "get the skinny" on what childbirth, recovery, and the first year are really like.