Profile for Da Peace Dogg > Reviews

Content by Da Peace Dogg

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Da Peace Dogg (Hollywood, California - livin' humble)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ratt & Roll 8191
Ratt & Roll 8191
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 13.56
33 used & new from CDN$ 6.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Best band ever?, July 16 2004
This review is from: Ratt & Roll 8191 (Audio CD)
Before Ratt entered existence, rock and roll was basically a dead entity. Name one other band who has had such influence over music in the last 30 years. I thought so. You can't. DeMartini influenced a generation of future guitar rockers, including Vedder and such, but it was the high-powered singing and deft lyricism of Stephen Pearcy that truly changed the face of music. Before Pearcy, radio was infiltrated with hippies like James Taylor, Ozzie Osbourne and Deet Scoodridge all day, singing about peace, love and happiness. Pearcy's lyrics and outlook changed all that. Suddenly girls were invited to the party - and party they did!! Pearcy made it fun to be living again, but he peppered his lyrics with themes of perplexion and quandry. Overall, he is a mecca. His combover, his rough-edged voice, and his aura brought us to where music is today: at the top.
Sadly, Ratt's last album fared poorly, and the band were put down by the very grunge groups they so heavily influenced back in the olden days. Sometimes there is little justice in the world, but Pearcy will see to it that Ratt's memorialized once and for all in days of future.
On a personal note, I recently surpassed the mark for over 300 "Helpful" votes on Amazon. For that I am grateful, and I thank everyone sincerely for making me one of the top reviewers on this site.
TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hysteria
Hysteria
Price: CDN$ 8.00
42 used & new from CDN$ 2.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Why send men to do a robot's job?, July 15 2004
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
In 1985, after putting the five then-current members of Def Leppard into a freeze-dried chamber, Robert John "Mutt" Lange began the follow-up to his last studio effort, "Pyromania." His vision was grander this time, and the work on the new songs was slow but precise. He recruited '80's-era T-1000 Robots to complete his singular vision, but the sessions were fraught with problems. Some of the T-1000's rebelled, and Lange, who was suffering through a terrible bout of stress, perhaps because he had not met Shania Twain at this juncture, soon had to take a leave of absence.
When Lange came back the T-1000's were in full control of the monumental "Hysteria" sessions, and he could do nothing but wallow in drug-induced self-pity. His only real contribution to the album was the opening riff on track 12, which the robots granted him. (It's really not a bad riff, Mutt!!)
By August 1987, "Hysteria" was ready to roll for public consumption, and the members of Def Leppard were released from their concubines. A tradgedy occurred when something went wrong with drummer Rick Allen's thawing process, and the young man lost his left arm. Luckily, the stilted beats the robots had concocted on "Hysteria" suited Allen's new playing style just fine, and everbody was anxious to proceed.
In another unexplained tradgedy with the band, singer Joe Elliott contracted the mumps while frozen, but he lived to tell his tale.
If you caught this tour in '87, '88, '89, you've caught history, no??

Looking For Freedom
Looking For Freedom
Offered by dodax-online
Price: CDN$ 10.72
11 used & new from CDN$ 6.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a way out, found freedom instead., July 12 2004
This review is from: Looking For Freedom (Audio CD)
I've read with keen interest some of the reviews from others who have felt shunned or depressed about life and sought solace in David Hasselhoff's musical artistry. Well, I too am one of those people, and at the risk of being repetative, I'd like to share my life of former misery, and expound on how Hasselhoff has turned me around for the better.
Some persepective is needed. Starting in my teen years, I was a virtual shut-in, a recluse with no friends, no dreams, no enthusiasm, basically no real life to speak of. Mother pleaded for me to exit my cellar-like room in the basement more often, but her begging fell on deaf ears. Sadly, my Mother and Father endured my constant sorrowful outlook and mood, simply because I was their only son; if I had been anyone else, it would have been hasta la vista...baby. Within the framework of this joyless existence, we all tried to coexist.
Though it sounds cliched, and perhaps a bit surprising, I turned to smack by the time I was 32, in order to get through the days. I became a skeletal worm, unrecognizable to Mother and Father, who stared at my pale skin and hallowed-out eyes as if I were a stranger. "Meatloaf Tuesday" and "Pizza Thursday" at the dinner table soon became unbearable for all three of us. (Heck, I never ate anyway, so what difference did it make?)
Eventually, I gave up. One day, at my lowest point and refusing to pretend any longer, I walked to the local meat-packing plant where gruff Uncle Charlie has worked for over two decades. My intentions were to hurl myself into the core of the meat grinder. On the way to the plank, I happened by a mini-TV; a factory worker on break was watching "Baywatch," though I didn't know what the show was at the time.
"Who is that man?" I asked the union worker watching the pint-sized TV.
The man gave me an odd look. "David Hasselhoff," he replied. "Check out the chick he's talking to, jack," the gruff man demanded.
"He is exquisite," was all I could gasp.
The worker gave me an even more quizzical look, not that I cared. I have since purchased every single Hasselhoff musical work I could get my hands on, starting with this classic, "Looking for Freedom." Hasselhoff's face, with its gleaming blue eyes, jutting jaw and soft aura, hooked me from day one, but it was his music on this CD that gave me actual hope.
I now attend art classes at the local junior college, and might even pursue getting my driver's license someday. Plus, Mother promises me that if Hasselhoff ever tours the area, she will buy tickets for both she and I!!! Father has become less distant around me, and every now and again, with Mother's permission, I am allowed to walk to market by myself and purchase candy and juice!!! (With Mother's money, of course. I do not have a current steady income, but Mother says I may work to that achievement someday.)
Thank you, David, for your music has opened my world to limitless, unpredictable realms I never thought were possible!
BYE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Ghost Is Born
A Ghost Is Born
Price: CDN$ 14.77
44 used & new from CDN$ 2.84

1.0 out of 5 stars Get yer head out of yer a#@!!!!, July 11 2004
This review is from: A Ghost Is Born (Audio CD)
Get yer head out of yer kazoo boys and look where the state of music is today! Wilco express themselves through acoustic trademark gems once considered sacred in foreign halls across university campuses, but times change with the best of us in days of future! Make your peace and spread the wealth in ways unknown through new vocalizations of a different form - namely Tweedy's ability to convey the passion once heard in older realms foreign to his influence to what we now know. Trust me, folks, his deal will get better when he shines on the influence of who he is and where he stands, rather than what the folks outside (even his record company) want him to be.
The same happened to Audioslave but they reimbursed the dark influences that captured the public's imagination and did things for themselves. The muffled beats and hard-edged acoustic heard here don't compare to final mixtures of studio time in Wilco's years past, but they're dread to repeat the influences that made them famous firstand. If that means getting a new agent, so be it, Mr. Tweedy.
Overall, a surprisngly stark record that has potential to move units and sell tickets from vast areas not seen for the band previous, as you'd expect from a band with few morals or cares.

Los Lonely Boys
Los Lonely Boys
Price: CDN$ 9.49
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing the flash of Ricky Martin, but still good, July 11 2004
This review is from: Los Lonely Boys (Audio CD)
As rock 'n' roll from Mexico goes, this stuff is pretty good. In fact, I listened to the song clips on amazon and was amazed at how easy on the ears these guys sound. I think they've got a bright future and should continue making records.
Still, The Lonely Boys miss the flash of Ricky Martin, a fellow Mexican musician whom they could learn a lot from. Ricky "shake your thang" Martin is a leader in the world of rock south of the border, and his legend looms large over these guys. From his work with the first true boy band, Menudo, to his current stellar solo work, Ricky Martin is the real deal. Perhaps The Lonely Boys will do a tour with him soon.
P.S.: What's with the tune "Dime Mi Amore" on this CD? Who in the world would write a song about a dime? Also, what is an "amore?" Did they mean to say smore, like what you eat at a campfire? Otherwise, pretty solid stuff.
THEY'VE GOT A TRUE SHOT AT MAKING THE BIG-TIME!!!!!!!!!

The Very Best Of
The Very Best Of
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 8.66
12 used & new from CDN$ 8.65

5.0 out of 5 stars When life is locked, young Hasselhoff holds my key, July 9 2004
This review is from: The Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Ah, France! Beautiful wine vineyards, gorgeous landscape, pretty ladies, exquisite food...David Hasselhoff?
Forgive me, kind gents, for I forget myself. I'm in the midst of completing my university memoirs, and took brief leisure to play David Hasselhoff's "Very Best Of" collection on my hardy Sony Walkman. Even through chromium sound, Hasselhoff does not disappoint. How I adore this man's music!!
Though I am old and feeble, Hasselhoff keeps me spry in ways that my 20-year-old blonde mistress cannot do. Truth be told, Hasselhoff is my true mistress these days. My mistress for life!!!
His ballads sooth me, while his faster dance songs literally pump back life into these weary bones of mine. Ah, where is young Jennifer? She is late with my...ah, there she is!! Come hither, young university scholar.
I must go; a bizarre fellow named Korg is passing through to read my hands and treat me to midday snack at market.
Cheerio!!!

Peace
Peace
Offered by bigmediadeals
Price: CDN$ 4.95
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A metal X-mas as only Brickman can deliver, July 6 2004
This review is from: Peace (Audio CD)
When I first heard that Jim Brickman was offering up a second metal X-mas CD, I was extremely skeptical. After all, how does one follow up the staggering metal might of "The Gift" from 1997? The answer: One does it with "Peace," Jim Brickman's stellar second X-mas metal CD, a piece of work so groundbreaking in the X-mas Metal genre, one wonders just what sort of substance Brickman was on when recording this seminal classic.
First off, don't let the title of the record, or, for that matter, the title of the songs, fool you. Brickman hasn't lost his dark X-mas edge, and in fact sounds gloomier than ever on such tunes as "Early Snowfall (For the Wicked)" and "O Holy Night (For the Axe Stalkers)." Brickman combines his eerie synth notes with an Iron Maiden-like thrash of guitars behind him, creating a complex symphony of chaos not heard since the days when Saxon and early Metallica roamed the Earth.
Though Brickman's quaint Midwestern face on the album cover may look content, this is an angry man filled with pure rage - and he wants the world to know it. You can't touch songs like "Jingle Bells (In Hell)" and "Away in a Rotted Manger" - you just can't!!!!
"Peace (For No One)" ends this masterpiece of pure cacophony, Brickman's exiting kiss-off of Christmas Chaos for the damned. Frankly, Jim Brickman has failed on his recent attempts to capture the brutal free-for-all X-mas metal militia heard on this record, and one can only hope that the young and evolving Brickman does not forget the roots of his foreboding metal past.
MAKE THIS X-MAS WORTHWHILE!!!!!
MAKE THIS X-MAS WITH BRICKMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Best Of
Very Best Of
Price: CDN$ 15.51
34 used & new from CDN$ 6.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Ladies & gentlemen, say hello to arena rock!, July 6 2004
This review is from: Very Best Of (Audio CD)
Up until Asia arrived in 1981, arena rock was a nonexistent term and entity. Selling out 16,000-seat arenas was simply unheard of, until groundbreaking Asia came along. Why? Because Asia was the first rock band to use power chords and create "heavy"-sounding songs. Before Asia, there was only Bread, Chicago and Abba clogging up the top of the charts. After Asia, hard rock began to truly take form; bands like Journey, AC/DC, Judas Priest and eventually Poison took over the world. Asia may have been left in the dust a bit, but their multiple platinum records demonstrate that, at one time, Asia ruled the world.
Asia's album-cover art was also revolutionary, and many Seattle grunge bands would later imitate the band's taste in what looked cool, graphically speaking.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Price: CDN$ 12.48
35 used & new from CDN$ 4.41

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 Legit 2 Quit, July 6 2004
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
MC Hamma's music can be heard today through such artists as Limp Bizkit, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent and Eminem. That's just for starters, too. Hamma's legacy in the rap world is immortal, and he singlehandedly brought back spectacle into rock music, injecting showmanship into a moribund genre whose biggest act in the early '90s was the ultra-lame Pearl Jam. Hamma changed all that with "Please Hamma Don't Hurt 'Em." The even stronger "2 Legit 2 Quit" was even better, one of the best rap 'n roll records ever created in the history of humankind.
Hamma gets a little more hardcore on "2 Legit," as is evident from the brutal lyrics and the stocking cap he wears. No matter what, Hamma always brings diversity and reinvention to the table: First he was a spendthrift partier, then he became a hardcore gangsta, and still later he became a rapping preacher. Now I think Hamma is the proprietor of a semi-successful hot dog stand on Venice Beach, but that's neither here nor there. The point is:
HE'S 2 LEGIT, 2 LEGIT 2 QUIT (HAY, HAY!!),
2 LEGIT, 2 LEGIT 2 QUIT (HAY, HAY...)

Picture This
Picture This
Offered by TUNESUS
Price: CDN$ 12.55
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing the 'tude of earlier records, July 1 2004
This review is from: Picture This (Audio CD)
Neophyte Brickman's effort is admirable on this outing, but where in the world is the Rolling Stones'-like swagger and 'tude of earlier records?? Cuz it sure as hell ain't here!! Talented Brickman shines bright on a few memorable tracks on "Picture This," but the album lacks the Guns 'n Roses'-type grit of his earlier chart-topping efforts. Please don't misunderstand: A few key tracks on "Picture This" are guaranteed to get ya slam-dancin' on a Saturday night, but the record leaves behind the Brickman cockiness so prevalent on earlier projects.
Well, hang in there, Brickman fans, for I think this piano metal-head might just have a few restless tricks up his sleeve yet. Word on the streets is that Brickman is gearing up for a HOT summer tour with his fellow rehab buddies in Velvet Revolver. Stay tuned for more...
BRICKMAN SHINES YET AGAIN!!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20