Profile for Isaac A. > Reviews

Content by Isaac A.

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Isaac A.

35 FEATHER 7 O'clock SHARK ASTRA BLUEBIRD DERBY Blade Sampler
35 FEATHER 7 O'clock SHARK ASTRA BLUEBIRD DERBY Blade Sampler
Offered by Wish4Blades
Price: CDN$ 28.95
4 used & new from CDN$ 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great selection for the price, Jan. 22 2012
If you are looking at this product you probably already know that not all blades are created equal. Different brands of razor blades are created using different metals and cut in different ways. When using a safety razor or shavette, the blade you use can make the difference between a smooth, close shave and tugging, scratching, and even mangling of the skin.

Of course, the safety razor and the cream you use also make a difference, as does your technique and pre-shave preparation. But overall, the blade is probably the most important variable.

Obviously, since we all have different skin and hair, results will vary person to person. This is just my experience with these blades. Just so you know what my blades were up against, I am 22, of Indian descent, with course black facial hair. I used them to shave both my face and head. Now then:

============

The "Astra", "Bluebird", and "Derby" blades were all pretty mediocre. There was a lot of pulling and irritation, especially on my neck. These are the cheapest brands, and it quickly becomes clear why.

The "Shark" blade was the absolute worst. So much tugging...so little shaving. In fact, of the whole pack the Shark blade was the only one that cut me. I still have a scar two months later!

The "Gillette Super Chrome" was okay. I wouldn't use it again, but it was better than all of the above.

The "Gillette Super Platinum" was excellent. Delivered a very smooth, irritation-free shave. It wasn't the sharpest blade, but it delivered a smooth, consistent shave, and lasted a very long time (6 shaves in total, 3 on each side).

Finally, the "Feather" blade was the also excellent. The sharpest of the bunch, it also - like the Super Platinum - required very little pressure and lasted long.

Quality-wise, Feather has a very slight edge over Super Platinum. But, that slight edge is not enough, in my opinion, to justify it being nearly twice the price ($45 for 100 Feather blades, compared to $26 for 100 Super Platinum blades). Therefore, I'm going with Gillette Super Platinum for the win.

5/5 for the wide selection

Lord Premium Safety Razor Model LP1822L aka L6 Plus BONUS BLUEBIRD Blades
Lord Premium Safety Razor Model LP1822L aka L6 Plus BONUS BLUEBIRD Blades
Offered by Wish4Blades
Price: CDN$ 18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars My first safety razor, Jan. 22 2012
Before this purchase, I had basically spent my entire post-puberty life shaving with either (a) a disposable twin razor or (b) an electric rotary shaver. These actually served me fine for a few years, but over the past year I had developed some skin problems such as irritation and scratch marks because of them. And maybe it's just that my facial hair is still developing (I'm 22), but it has become harder and harder to get a good, close shave using my "regular" tools. So I decided to try something new.

Given the super low price of this safety razor, I wasn't expecting much. But it is actually pretty effective when paired with the right razor, cream, and a little practice. FYI I use it to shave both my face and my head.

It is designed to be very safe to handle, as the blade does not protrude very far once inserted. This does however mean that the shave will not be as close as it could be, but it's still pretty close. Think of it like a training razor. It has a very nice appearance and feels tough, especially compared to the ugly plastic/rubber razors sold in stores.

The "Lord" brand blade that came with this safety was decent, but nothing special. If you are new to safety razors like I was, you absolutely MUST get a blade sampler pack containing several different brands. I know you might think a blade is a blade, but the fact is that the different manufacturers use different quality metals, and even cut the blades differently. The blade you use can make all the difference, as can the shaving cream (please resist the urge to get a $2 can of no-name mystery foam...that stuff is rubbish, and in some cases can actually reduce the closeness of the shave). In order to maximize the life of your blades and prevent your safety from rusting, I would also recommend you wipe the razor with rubbing alcohol after every shave.

I haven't tried using a shaving brush yet, but I'll probably get one of those soon enough. Also, like I said this safety razor is great for beginners but you will eventually want to upgrade to something with a little more bite once you get the hang of it.

4/5