Profile for babesonbaystreet > Reviews

Content by babesonbaystreet

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

babesonbaystreet

Why Women Should Rule The World
Why Women Should Rule The World
by Dee Myers
Price: CDN$ 13.36
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Telling her story to help other women!!, April 1 2011
Why Women Should Rule the World was written by Dee Dee Meyers. She was the spokeswoman for Bill Clinton's 1992 presidential campaign, and from January 20, 1993, to December 22, 1994 served as White House press secretary - the first woman appointed to the position. She was later co-host of the CNBC talk show Equal Time and a consultant and contributor to NBC's television drama The West Wing. In fact, I believe she was the inspiration for the character played by Allison Janney, C. J. Cregg.

In an early chapter, she said something which resonated with me. "I share my story in the hope that it will help other women avoid some of the traps that I fell into - and to reassure them that they're not alone if they do. And I share my story because looking honestly at what happened to me - and why - has helped me to understand that some of the forces that shaped the events were bigger than I. That's not to say I didn't make mistakes. I did. And If I had a chance to do it all again, there's plenty that I would change. But there's plenty that I couldn't change. Understanding that has allowed me to stop blaming myself for everything that went wrong - and start taking credit for some of the things that went right. And that's made all the difference in the world."

Another excerpt highlights the importance of having mentors and girlfriends, Meyers says: "When I came to Washington, just months past my thirty-first birthday, I'd never lived or worked in the capital, and with one or two exceptions, the only people I knew were those who had worked on the campaign. I didn't have another support network. I didn't have mentors, or even more seasoned girlfriends, who could have instructed me in the ways of Washington, helped me interpret the tribal rituals - or taken me shopping for shoes and suits. And I could have used that."

Her perspective is interesting for those of us who have not experienced public service and instructive to see many of the same issues apply.

For example, Meyers says: "Before most people can imagine themselves in a particular role, they need to see other people who look like them doing something similar. To be sure, there are exceptions; some people ignore the obstacles, the certainty of history, the voices that tell them never, and crash through barriers to create a new reality for themselves and those who follow. But for the most part, seeing is believing. It was for me. I never would have become White House press secretary without the example, help, and encouragement of the women around me. Some of them I knew; others I only wanted to know." She says: "Clearly, role models do more than allow women to imagine themselves in a series of bigger and better roles. They allow other people - both men and women - to adjust, if that's the right word, to women in positions that have traditionally been filled only by men. And once they do, the road ahead becomes a little easier."

And I could quote many more interesting facts and figures and interpretations. However, I will just offer one final one.

"So I was helped along by the women who came before me at virtually every stage of my life and career. But for others, there just weren't any women doing what they wanted to do when they wanted to do it. They had to make it up as they went along. And with a little help - sometimes from other women - and a lot of pluck, they created their own futures. For them, the focus was more often on being, rather than seeing, role models."

The Power Of Purpose: Find Meaning, Live Longer, Better
The Power Of Purpose: Find Meaning, Live Longer, Better
by Richard Leider
Price: CDN$ 15.85
45 used & new from CDN$ 5.76

4.0 out of 5 stars If you could live your life over again, what would you do?, April 1 2011
The Power of Purpose by Richard J. Leider is a book which was developed by the author interviewing older adults (over age 65) and asking them the following question: "If you could live your life over again, what would you do differently?". The author says three themes wove their way through all the interviews. The older adults consistently said that if they could live their lives over again, they would: Be more reflective. Be more courageous. Be clear earlier about purpose.

From his interviews, the author concluded that purpose naturally resides deep inside the human soul. He observed that all people seemed to have a natural desire and capacity to contribute to life. "Every one of us, somehow, wants to leave footprints. Purpose is unique to each of us alone. Each of us is an experiment of one. We can learn from but not adopt the purpose of another. We must each discover our own."

He says: " A sense of purpose is rarely handed to us. We get it by deciding to have it. We get it by deciding that, yes I matter. A sense of purpose comes from within, and only we know we have it. Only we know if there is something in our life that makes us want to get up in the morning."

He goes on to say: "One of the chief requisites for feeling the true joy in life is purpose. A constant in the lives of people who experience a sense of day-to-day aliveness is the discovery of their purpose. We need at our very core to be somebody. We need evidence to believe that we are good people and are growing or becoming as much as we can be. Clarifying our purpose helps us satisfy a basic need that we're being used for a purpose recognized by ourselves as a mighty one."

The author says: "Nothing shapes our lives as much as the questions we ask, or refuse to ask, throughout our lives. Purpose, however, is not a question that we can answer once and be one with it. We typically bring up the question of purpose about every ten years throughout our lives. At those times and during major life transitions, we ask questions like: Who am I? What am I meant to do here? What am I trying to do with my life?"

One of my favourite exercises from this book is this one: "Look ahead. How old do you think you'll live to be? Imagine you're that age. As you look back on your life, what would you like to be able to say is your legacy - how you became the somebody you were destined to be? What might you do with your remaining time so that you can look back over your life with no regrets?"

The Artist's Way
The Artist's Way
by Julia Cameron
Price: CDN$ 15.16
60 used & new from CDN$ 3.54

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful book!!, April 1 2011
This review is from: The Artist's Way (Paperback)
The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron is a classic. The author describes its essence when she says: "In 1978 I began teaching artists how to "unblock" and "get back on their feet" after a creative injury. I shared with them the tools I had learned through my own creative practice. I kept it all as easy and gentle as I could." I love the way she describes being inspired to begin teaching the Artist's Way because I believe it describes how each of us receives the gift of "inspiration". She says: "Like all artists - like all of us if we listen - I experience inspiration. I was "called" to teach and I answered that call somewhat grudgingly."

My favourite exercises from this book are the Morning Pages and the weekly Artist's Date. However, I love the entire 12 week program. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is at a time in their life where they are looking to reenergize themselves from a creative or any other perspective.

The book is full of fabulous quotes. Some of my favourites include:

"The capacity for delight is the gift of paying attention." Julia Cameron

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

"If I allow myself to be bullied and cowed by other people's urges for me to be more normal or more nice, I sell myself out. They may like me better, feel more comfortable with my more conventional appearance or behaviour, but I will hate myself." Julia Camerson

"Follow your bliss and doors will open where there were no doors before." Joseph Campbell

"You're either losing your mind - or gaining your soul. Life is meant to be an artist date. That's why we were created." Julia Cameron

Enjoy it!!

Repacking Your Bags: Lighten Your Load for the Rest of Your Life
Repacking Your Bags: Lighten Your Load for the Rest of Your Life
by Richard J Leider
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Authors on the right track!, April 1 2011
Repacking Your Bags by Richard J. Leider and David A. Shapiro is subtitled "Lighten Your Load for the Rest of Your Life.

At the beginning of the book, the authors include a quote from Carl Jung who cautions, "we cannot live the afternoon of life according to the program of life's morning - for what was great in the morning will be little at evening, and what in the morning was true will at evening have become a lie."

Leider and Shapiro say without realizing it, they had given in to our culture's view of adulthood - "that the person you are at mid-life is the person you will be for the rest of your life."

"We found out, though, that the program for "afternoon" and on into the evening lies within us. To discover this program, we must turn our gaze inward. To know where we are on the trip, where we want to go, and how to get there, we must learn to count on an inner sense of direction."

"We must unpack and repack our bags."

"Unpacking simply means taking a long, hard look at what we're carrying and why. Seeing if our possessions, responsibilities, and relationships are still helping us move forward, or if they're dragging us down."

"Repacking, then, is the ongoing activity of reevaluation and reinvention. Rearranging our priorities. Reframing our vision of the good life. And recovering a new sense of being alive."

They say what is really missing in most people's lives is a sense of joy. People find they no longer feel an authentic joyfulness in living, despite all the fun stuff they have or do.

They believe how we live the next phase of our lives is not just a question of personal lifestyle but of what we care about. They define the good life as an integration of place, love, work and purpose. "To put it simply, the formula for the good life is: Living in the Place you belong, with the People you Love, doing the Right Work, on Purpose."

Zen master Suzuki said: "I'm an artist at living, and my work of art is my life." And Leider and Shapiro say: "People who are "artists at living" are bold enough to question the status quo - to accept that someone else's truth could be a lie for them. They are also willing to recognize when their own truths have become a dead end, in which case they demonstrate the courage to let go. They accept what they can from an experience and move on."

The book is based on imagining life as a journey and thinking about its components in terms of the various bags we are carrying. The authors say people carry three different bags. These are:

1. A Briefcase - your Work baggage.
2. An Overnight Bag - your Love baggage.
3. A Trunk - your Place baggage.

"To really unpack, you need to open each bag and examine its contents. The best way to do this is in a dialogue with someone else - preferably the person most likely to be affected by any decision or choices you make."

The authors say: "Ultimately, it comes down to a series of trade-offs. What are you willing to trade in one area of your life to get what you want in another?" The book is structured to allow you to assess how much you are willing to carry and decide what stays and what goes. The unpacking process is a matter of reviewing what you have and considering each item in light of the trade-offs you have to make to keep it. Repacking becomes a matter of finding the right balance between the important priorities in your life.

The book is based on the concept of taking a journey with the requisite unpacking and repacking of bags, a trip checklists and sending postcards to a "Dialogue Partner". Sometimes, it feels like this analogy has been stretched to its limits, however, I liked the book and believe the authors are on the right track in challenging us to think about the journey we are embarking on in the afternoon of our lives.

Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting: The Astonishing Power of Feelings
Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting: The Astonishing Power of Feelings
by Lynn Grabhorn
Price: CDN$ 15.85
152 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!!, April 1 2011
The subtitle of Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting by Lynn Grabhorn is "The astonishing power of feelings". She says: "We create by feeling, not by thought. That's right, we get what we get by the way we feel, not by trying to slug things into place or control our minds....The Law of Attraction - like attracts like - is absolute (and has nothing to do with personalities)...We get what we focus on. Focus on the lack of what we want, and we are guaranteed to get more of it because, through matching vibrations, we magnetize it in. Law of Attraction, pure and simple".

The author describes the four steps to deliberate creation; the four steps she claims are guaranteed to bring into our lives whatever is our passion and much, much more. She says they are the basic principles from which all creation has sprung.

Step 1. Identify what you DON'T want.
Step 2. From that, identify what you DO want.
Step 3. Get into the feeling place of what you want.
Step 4. Expect, listen, and allow it to happen.

In her words: "The real reality is we have come here to thrive, and prosper, and live this grand human experience in light-hearted joy, not in struggle and pain. We have come here to have fun while we learn, to grow without suffering, and to harvest our desires in the absolute knowledge that we can have it all once we learn how to handle our energies...meaning...our emotions."

Grabhorn outlines the actual mechanics of how she believes we attract or repel absolutely every event in our lives. She says: "The way we think causes the way we feel, and the way we feel causes how we vibrate, and the way we vibrate IS HOW WE ATTRACT. The truth is, in our everyday natural state, we have the sacred ability to maneuver this thing called "our life" to be any way we want it to be. We create by feeling, not by thought". She says we get what we focus on, so if we focus on the lack of something, that's what we're guaranteed to get, because what the universe gives us, in every moment of every day, corresponds precisely with what we are vibrating. If we focus on the lack of what we want, we are guaranteed to get more of it, because, through matching vibrations, we magnetize it in.

She says we must learn to identify a good feeling from a bad feeling because the feelings we flow out become the tangibles we attract back. She says, the bottom line is if we're not feeling up when we think about something, we're flowing some degree of negative emotion, and she warns us to pay attention to what we're sending out because if you really want the thing, start feeling good when you think about it, and watch what happens. She says if we focus with repeated intense emotion on something we don't want (or do want), sooner or later that something is going to be in our lap. The critical point is to remember is that the more we think about anything, whether it's something we want in our lives or something we don't want, the faster we're going to magnetize it into our experience. It's the Law of Attraction: "That which is like unto itself is drawn".

Grabhorn encourages her readers to do the following; "Begin to identify your Wants; search for them, find them. Turn every Want into an Intent. Get back into dreaming....(big!).Learn the difference between safe and selfish Wants
Devise more risky Wants...and more...and more. Learn to feel your Want to ensure it's not a Don't Want. If it doesn't give you joy to think about, change it around.
Never mind how it will come about."

She believes: "If you flow your energy first, ideas come, and actions are inspired.
Inspired Action is always fun, always easy. It just flows, one step into the next.
If what you're doing is difficult, you didn't send your energy ahead first. If you've goofed up, you've put Grinding Actions ahead of Source Energy. Script it first, then inspiration will come to tell you what actions to take. It's not what you DO that brings you what you get; it's how you are vibrating. Scripting - flowing your energy first - is what brings the inspiration. THEN act."

One of my favourite exercises in the book is the 30 Day Breakthrough. It comprises two steps.
1. Remove your focus from any major thing that is currently causing you serious fear (worry, concern, anxiety, stress etc.), AND KEEP IT OFF!
2. Establish a flip-switch topic for each day by finding one new item about yourself to appreciate for the day. Flip to this topic whenever you find your focus on the thing in #1 above which is causing you serious fear, worry, concern, anxiety, stress etc.

I highly recommend this book. I got a tremendous amount out of this book, so much in fact I ordered the CDs and listened to them in my car and the workbook and ocmpleted every one of the exercises in it!! I loved every bit of it!!

Dreams Have No Expiry Date: A Practical and Inspirational Way for Women to Take Charge of Their Futures
by Laurie Gottlieb
18 used & new from CDN$ 2.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for a women in her mid to late 40's, April 1 2011
This is the perfect book for a woman in her mid to late 40's who is considering a transition, in other words what's next for her in her life and work.

The subtitle of the book is "A Practical and Inspirational Way for Women to Take Charge of Their Futures".

The authors write: "Women have few role models to guide them through the process of transition and may have difficulty envisioning their life beyond forty-five. The paths this generation of women will follow have not been traveled by previous generations." These words resonated with me because this has been the case throughout the careers of women of this generation and it will be the same in the next phases of their lives.

The authors say there are three major messages in their book. They are:

"The best way to take charge of your future is to have a dream.

It is never too late to create and achieve a dream because dreams have no expiry date.

The "Vantage Years" are the ideal time of life to create and achieve dreams."

They go on to say "Dreams give life meaning and purpose. Everyone has a dream; some people just have difficulty identifying or articulating their dream. Some people think their dream is too insignificant to be considered a dream. Some people may even believe it is too late to dream. We believe you are never too old to dream. Women well into their eighties told us of their dreams. You do have a dream. You can be in charge."

I am very interested in people who have made successful and interesting transitions in their lives. I find their courage and creativity inspiring.

My favourite exercises from this book are the ones intended to help with "Getting in Touch with your Dreams." I highly recommend this book to anyone who is "in transition".

Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career
Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career
by Herminia Ibarra
Price: CDN$ 17.56
39 used & new from CDN$ 6.83

4.0 out of 5 stars A book well worth reading!, April 1 2011
The subtitle of Working Identity by Herminia Ibarra is "Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career". In the preface to the book, Ibarra says: "This book hinges on two disarmingly simple ideas. First, our working identity is not a hidden treasure waiting to be discovered at the very core of our inner being. Rather, it is made up of many possibilities: some tangible and concrete, defined by the things we do, the company we keep, and the stories we tell about our work and lives; others existing only in the realm of future potential and private dreams. Second, changing careers means changing our selves. Since we are many selves, changing is not a process of swapping one identity for another but rather a transition process in which we reconfigure the full set of possibilities. These simple ideas alter everything we take for granted about finding a new career. They ask us to devote the greater part of our time and energy to action rather than reflection, to doing instead of planning. Hence, the unconventional strategies."

Ibarra says: "This book tells the stories of thirty-nine people who changed careers. It analyzes their experiences through the lens of psychological and behavioral theories. Based on the stories and extensive research in the social sciences, the book affirms the uncertainties of the career transition process and identifies its underlying principles. But the book does not offer a ten-point plan for better transitioning, because that is not the nature of the process. Instead it lays out a straightforward framework that describes what is really involved and what makes the difference between staying stuck and moving on."

The author says: "This book is not for everyone. It is not for the person just starting his or her working life nor for the person "downshifting" or easing his or her way out of a fully engaged career. It is for the mid-career professional who questions his or her career path after having made a long-term investment of time, energy, and education in that path."

In terms of successful career changes, Ibarra says the conventional wisdom is that the key to making one is knowing what we want to do next and then using that knowledge to guide our actions. However, she believes change usually happens the other way around: "Doing comes first, knowing come second. Why? Because changing careers means redefining our working identity - how we see ourselves in our professional roles, what we convey about ourselves to others, and ultimately, how we live our working lives. Career transitions follow a first-act-and-then-think sequence because who we are and what we do are so tightly connected. The tight connection is the result of years of action; to change it, we must resort to the same methods."

The author says her book is "a study of how people from all walks of professional life change careers". She says looking close-up at what they really did reveals a couple of things which go against conventional wisdom. "First, we are not one self but many selves. Consequently, we cannot simply trade in the old for a new working identity or upgrade to version 2.0: to reinvent ourselves, we must live through a period of transition in which we rethink and reconfigure a multitude of possibilities. Second, it is nearly impossible to think out how to reinvent ourselves, and, therefore, it is equally hard to execute in a planned and orderly way. A successful outcome hinges less on knowing one's inner, true self at the start than on starting a multistep process of envisioning and testing possible futures. No amount of self-reflection can substitute for the direct experience we need to evaluate alternatives according to criteria that change as we do."

The book is divided into two parts. The first part, Identity in Transition, "describes the process of questioning and testing our working identities, eventually making more profound changes than we initially imagined." The second part, Identity in Practice, "describes what actions throughout the transition period increase the likelihood of making a successful change."

Ibarra starts by warning the reader that she will not offer them a ten-point plan for making a career change. However, at the end of the book she provides some general guidelines which she says emerge from the stories told in the book. In a section titled "Unconventional Strategies" she distills those guidelines into a set of nine unconventional strategies for reinventing your career. She characterizes them as follows: act, then reflect; flirt with your selves; live the contradictions; make big change in small steps; experiment with new roles; find people who are what you want to be; don't wait for a catalyst; step back periodically but not for too long; and seize windows of opportunity.

These days many women I meet are looking for something to do with themselves and their lives which is more meaningful. In many cases, they hope to find the single perfect answer and make the transition in one fell swoop. They want to do something completely different but have not idea what it is. I don't believe there is one simple answer to these types of questions, in fact, I believe searching for one allows us to stay stuck exactly where we are. Hence, I like Ibarra's approach because it calls for lots of experimentation and trial and error. She cites many examples of people who make radical transformations, one day at a time. I think she is on to something and this book is well worth reading.

A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future
A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future
by Daniel H. Pink
Price: CDN$ 13.36
89 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The essential six senses for the conceptual age!!, April 1 2011
The subtitle of A Whole New Mind by Daniel H. Pink is "Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future". Pink believes we are moving from an economy and society built on the logical, linear, computer-like capabilities of the Information Age to an economy and society built on the inventive, empathic, big-picture capabilities of what's rising in its place, the Conceptual Age. In his book, he describes six essential aptitudes - what he calls the six senses - on which professional and personal satisfaction increasingly will depend. The six senses are Design, Story, Symphony, Empathy, Play, and Meaning. He believes these are fundamentally human abilities that everyone can master - and helping the reader do so is his goal.

Pink reminds us that our brains are divided into two hemispheres. The left hemisphere is sequential, logical and analytical. The right hemisphere is nonlinear, intuitive, and holistic. Pink says the well established differences between the two hemispheres of the brain yield a powerful metaphor for interpreting our present and guiding our future. "Today, the defining skills of the previous era - the "left brain" capabilities that powered the Information Age - are necessary but no longer sufficient. And the capabilities we once disdained or thought frivolous - the "right-brain" qualities of inventiveness, empathy, joyfulness, and meaning - increasingly will determine who flourishes and who flounders. For individuals, families, and organizations, professional success and personal fulfillment now require a whole new mind."

He discusses the left and right hemispheres of the brain and offers four key differences between them.

1. The left hemisphere controls the right side of the body; the right hemisphere controls the left side of the body.
2. The left hemisphere is sequential; the right hemisphere is simultaneous.
3. The left hemisphere specializes in text; the right hemisphere specializes in context.
4. The left hemisphere analyzes the details; the right hemisphere synthesizes the big picture.

He says the contrast in how our cerebral hemispheres operate yields a powerful metaphor for how individuals and organizations navigate their lives. Some people seem more comfortable with logical, sequential, computer-like reasoning. They tend to become lawyers, accountants, and engineers. Other people are more comfortable with holistic, intuitive, and non-linear reasoning. They tend to become inventors, entertainers, and counselors. He says these individual inclinations go on to shape families, institutions, and societies.

He refers to the first approach as L-Directed Thinking. He says: "It is a form of thinking and an attitude to life that is characteristic of the left hemisphere of the brain - sequential, literal, functional, textual, and analytic. Ascendant in the Information Age, exemplified by computer programmers, prized by hardheaded organizations, and emphasized in schools, this approach is directed by left-brain attributes, toward left-brain results". He calls the other approach R-Directed Thinking. And says: "It is a form of thinking and an attitude to life that is characteristic of the right hemisphere of the brain - simultaneous, metaphorical, aesthetic, contextual, and synthetic. Underemphasized in the Information Age, exemplified by creators and caregivers, shortchanged by organizations, and neglected in schools, this approach is directed by right-brain attributes, toward right-brain results."

Pink believes: "In the "Conceptual Age", we will need to complement our L-Directed reasoning by mastering six essential R-Directed aptitudes. Together these six high-concept, high-touch senses can help develop the whole new mind this new era demands." In his description of them he compares them to the L-Directed equivalent.

1. Not just function but also DESIGN.
2. Not just argument but also STORY.
3. Not just focus but also SYMPHONY.
4. Not just logic but also EMPATHY.
5. Not just seriousness but also PLAY.
6. Not just accumulations but also MEANING.

He believes these six senses will guide our lives and shape our world. He says these high-concept, high-touch abilities that now matter most are fundamentally human attributes and have always comprised part of what it means to be human. However, after a few generations in the Information Age, these muscles have atrophied. In his mind, the challenge is to work them back into shape. In his book, he has a chapter devoted to each of the six senses and at the end of each chapter he offers a collection of tools, exercises, and further reading materials which will send us on our way to developing a whole new mind.

I encourage you to read this book and try out some of the tools, exercises and further reading materials; I found his approach brought me new energy, inspiration and motivation!! I cannot recommend it highly enough!!

How to Hire the Perfect Employer: Finding the Job and Career That Fit You Through a Powerful Personal Infomercial
by Jim Beqaj
Price: CDN$ 25.12
17 used & new from CDN$ 12.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard won wisdom, generously shared!, April 1 2011
The subtitle of How To Hire The Perfect Employer by Jim Beqaj is "Finding the Job and Career That Fit You Through a Powerful Personal Infomercial". Beqaj says his overall message for everyone reading the book is: "You can find your fit and love what you do."

In his book Beqaj says: "I want to help you determine:

* What you enjoy doing most (this will reveal what you're good at)
* Who you work best with, and why (this will reveal your wiring, or personality type)
* Your preferred method of resolving conflicts
* Your Target Rich EnvironmentTM (TRE)TM - the types of employers who fit you and your goals - companies where you should therefore concentrate your search

Armed with this information, you can then script and present a powerful Personal InfomercialTM".

Beqaj says: "You're going to pitch your infomercial to employers who need what you have to offer. More than that, you will learn how to use your infomercial to find out whether companies that need you also want you - you with your personality, your preferred style of working, and your goals. You will tell them in a few choice sentences what you're good at, who you work best with, and how you can add value."

He says: "You may feel a bit squeamish about the word `infomercial', but like it or not, you have one now. We all do. If you ask people how they see you, their response will reflect your current infomercial."

He continues: "The point of having a powerful Personal Infomercial is simply this: Either you design how the world sees you or you let the world see you how it wishes."

In the introduction to the book, Beqaj says: "The truth is, if you are going to find your best fit, you must take responsibility, going forward, for knowing yourself, defining yourself, and creating a clear and accurate perception of you."

"I learned the importance of taking responsibility for myself and finding the right fit the hard way. The dramatic rise and fall I experienced in the first twenty-five years of my career forced me to take my life apart and put it back together again. This book is the result of what I learned. I believe the process I forged out of my experience will prove to be of great value to you."

The book is quite concise and most chapters include exercises for the reader to complete for example, a Personal Balance SheetTM which helps the reader find the common denominators in the things they enjoy the most and least, are good at and not good and provide evidence that demonstrates their three strongest "good ats". Beqaj uses his personal version of the completed exercises as a teaching template for the reader.

In fact, Beqaj uses himself as an example throughout the book and he is beyond candid which is what I have always loved about him....he is a straight talker which I find incredibly rare and personally very charming, particularly in the corporate world. In a chapter titled "A Rude Awakening" he says: "The loss of three major jobs in five years was a major hit not only to my ego but also to my wallet. I have never experienced stress and pressure like this. I had to find a job, and fast. I had an ex-wife, a new wife, and six kids - one of whom was very ill. I had no time to absorb the shock, take a hard look at myself, and make strategic decisions. I begged people for a job, in any capacity. I was like a falling market that was constantly testing for new los. I kept wondering, Is this rock bottom?"

It took a lot of courage to share the learning gained from some profoundly challenging life lessons and Beqaj has it in spades. The concepts presented are straightforward and simple, in fact, once you have read the book and worked through the examples you might think the approach quite obvious. On the contrary, I think this is his gift to the reader. He explains these concepts in simple terms, using simple exercises which once completed offer rich data and a powerful means of communicating to the world who you are by way of your Personal Infomercial.

The wisdom in this book was hard won and has been generously shared by a veteran of the financial services industry and I applaud him for doing so!!

I encourage you to read the book and complete the exercises and come up with your own Personal Infomercial.