biss boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno
Profile for Ray Lefebvre > Reviews

Content by Ray Lefebvre

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ray Lefebvre

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Le temps d'une paix: Série complète (Version française)
Le temps d'une paix: Série complète (Version française)
DVD ~ Not Available
Price: CDN$ 198.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 198.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply excellent!, Jan. 30 2016
I purchased this for my parents yet I have been watching this along with them and enjoying it as well. It is an excellently written and well acted series. I also find the period setting and detail fascinating. The characterizations are definitely rich and convoncingly believable. I love the natural humour from the characters brought forth by the characters in such a realistic way exactly like the humour we ind in our everyday lives.

I highly recommend this series!

KEVENZ® Elegant Smart Covers For iPad 2/iPad 3/iPad 4 Case Cover - GOLDEN - K408
Offered by KEVENZINC
Price: CDN$ 28.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, but..., Jan. 12 2016
Firstly, this item arrived promptly and on time as stated.

Secondly, this is a very nice looking and apparently nicely made case. The gold cover finish looks sharp. The fit over my iPad 2 is good. But it does reveal a small flaw in the design--the case partially covers the external volume controls for the iPad. That isn't a huge problem because I can still adjust the volume from the on-screen control panel, but it is an oversight design wise. I tried reversing the iPad in the case to make the volume buttone more accessible, but then that means the speaker would be covered--not good. I might be able to make the cut-out for the volume buttons sufficient larger, but for now I'm okay with it.

Very nice case, but with a small design flaw.

The Saint: The Complete Series
The Saint: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Ivor Dean
Price: CDN$ 109.99
16 used & new from CDN$ 109.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying and enjoyable!, Jan. 4 2016
I've always liked The Saint particularly as played by Roger Moore. Over the years I've read probably all the original Saint stories in print and I've always envisioned Roger Moore as Simon Templar.

The 1960's series isn't strictly like the books. The television producers played down Templar's activities outside the law although the subtext and vague references suggest The Saint was more notorious in the past. As such Templar is somewhat sanitized in the series. Even so there are episodes and moments throughout the series when it feels very much like The Saint of the books.

The series is dated in some respects, particularly in its use of music (when can be a bit obtrusive and repetitive at times) and the way some fights are staged.

The DVD transfers themselves are excellent in terms of sound and picture, but regretabbly there are no real extras to the set.

I would have given the set a 5 star rating, but the fact is the casing design is flawed and a bit too flimsy. It looks like it could break easily. Indeed one was broken when I opened the set, but I think I can repair it. That said I advise caution when handling the DVDs in the holders.

Overall I'm quite satisfied and I recommend the set. My disappointments are in terms of the less-than-inspired jacket art and the flimsy DVD holders inside.

Le temps d'une paix - Spécial Le temps des Fêtes (Version française) [Import]
Le temps d'une paix - Spécial Le temps des Fêtes (Version française) [Import]
DVD ~ Not Available
Price: CDN$ 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and evocatively nostalgic!, Dec 28 2015
I actually first saw this recently on Christmas Eve with my parents, during which they told me they had watched the series when it ran originally so many years ago. I was intrigued and they both loved this holiday special partly because it reminded them exactly of how they experienced the Christmas and New Year's holidays when they were young in south eastern Quebec. This purchase is a surprise gift to them so they can rewatch this in pristine condition (unlike the now faded telecast) whenever they wish.

The Hunt for Zero Point: Inside the Classified World of Antigravity Technology
The Hunt for Zero Point: Inside the Classified World of Antigravity Technology
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating..., Jan. 19 2014
I certainly found this a page turner with its semi-detective story style. I admit it wasn't what I had initially expected, but what it is is right in the title: The HUNT For Zero Point, and not the CASE or PROOF of it.

The simple truth is much of what we take for granted today was once the realm of science fiction and fantasy to prior generations. And for quite some time now scientists have been telling us that reality and how the universe really works is much stranger than what our everyday experience otherwise suggests. At the quantum level (as I understand it) things don't behave according to Newtonian or perhaps even Einsteinian rules.

There is a compelling notion behind this narrative---that revolutionary ideas are often hidden away until certain powers decide when it's most advantageous for them to allow those ideas to see the light of day. And it's only today, in the past decade or so, that some of these ideas are beginning to surface in broader public forums. And much of it is in the realm of what many of us relegated to science fiction. But put in context, if zero point energy and antigravity, along with everything that goes with them, had actually been introduced in the 1950s-60s it conceivably could have completely undermined vast tracts of technological, military and economic infrastructure. Jet and rocket technology, electric and nuclear power as well as the oil industry could have been brought to their knees. Perhaps one could even make a case that society and the world wasn't yet ready for this science to go mainstream.

It's pretty much a given that many things are done away from plain view and such work creeps into the sunlight in a piecemeal fashion. This book illustrates that it's certainly not a new practice of the powerful and influential and never has been. The book doesn't make a case that zero point and antigravity are in fact for real, but that research for it has been going on for several decades and strongly suggests real fruit from that research. I found it particularly compelling when the author cites examples of possible actual antigravity techonolgy existing unrecognized right before our eyes.

Given enough years you come to realize that truth can often be much stranger than fiction. Things you can't possible imagine happening can often actually happen given the right circumstances. The book certainly does leave you with some question marks, but if nothing else at least it makes you think perhaps a little more critically.

Being Santa Claus: What I Learned about the True Meaning of Christmas
Being Santa Claus: What I Learned about the True Meaning of Christmas
by Sal Lizard
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational., Feb. 18 2013
I was drawn to this book because I started playing Santa about six years ago. The first year I was somewhat cajoled into it much like Sal Lizard was, and yet like him I, too, found I enjoyed it immensely. I enjoyed it so much I had a custom made suit made in an old-fashioned style. Unlike Sal, though, I'm not inclined to work shopping malls with their overly commercial setting and atmosphere. Still I found Sal Lizard's book to be inspirational and I could recognize many of his experiences as my own. There were, however, some of his experiences that I could only barely imagine: visiting with terminally ill children and his experience with one particular boy I found particularly heart-rending.

But overall the book does inspire, whether you ever choose to don a red suit and play Santa or not or whether you're just looking for a little genuine Christmas spirit as a buffer against the hustle and overt commercialism put upon us.

Batman Unauthorized: Vigilantes, Jokers, and Heroes in Gotham City
Batman Unauthorized: Vigilantes, Jokers, and Heroes in Gotham City
by Dennis O'Neil
Price: CDN$ 19.95
15 used & new from CDN$ 8.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, Aug. 12 2012
I came across the mention of a book while following a discussion of the recent The Dark Knight Rises and the reference to it piqued my interest. So I looked it up and took a chance ordering it from Amazon.

I'm really glad I did as I've just finished reading it. It's edited by Dennis O'Neil (one of the great wriers for Batman in the comics) and is a collection of eighteen separate essays by various writers and their distinct views on various aspects of Batman and his world.

It was fascinating even when I didn't agree with what I read. Because above all it was thought provoking and all with a touch of humour. The articles touch on why Batman is such a great literary character and why he still fascinates us after more than eighty years existence. It's also apparent that all these writers like and even love Batman even when they're offering critical observations. In that it's similar to David Gerrold's book The World Of Star Trek.

There are articles on what it might really cost to be Batman, evaluating Bruce Wayne's psychology, a look at Batman's little remembered sci-fi era of the late 1940s to early '60s, what the campy '60s series really meant, the work of Frank Miller, the evolution of Batman and a helluva lot more. And you have to read "To The Batpole!" by Alex Bledsoe. I guarantee you will laugh yourself breathless even as you see the characters stay perfectly true to form! (-:

If you love Batman then I highly recommend this book.

Note this book was published awhile after Batman Begins (2005) and shortly before The Dark Knight (2008).

Included:

Introduction by Dennis O'Neil

"Keeping It Real In Gotham" by Robert Brian Taylor - reinventing and adapting classic heroes and Batman may be part of a small sub genre called "pulp noir."

"Two Of A Kind" by Lou Anders'- an interesting look at the Joker and his relationship to Batman.

"Frank Miller's New Batman And The Grotesque" by Geoff Klock - a look at Frank Miller's takes on Batman from The Dark Knight Returns onward.

"Holy Signifier, Batman!" by Nicak Mamatas - a new look at the Adam West television series and what it really means.

"The Cost Of Being Batman" by Darren Hudson Hick - in the real world what would it cost you to be like Batman?

"Ra's al Ghul: Father Figure As Terrorist" by Michael Marano - looking at the relationship between Ra's al Ghul and Batman.

"The Dubious Origins Of The Batman" by Alan J. Porter - who really created The Dark Knight?

"Why Doesn't Bruce Wayne Retire Already?" by Chris Roberson - why doesn't Bruce Wayne ever pass the torch and how is he kept going decade after decade?

"The Madness Of Arkham Asylum" by Paul Lytle - what is Arkham really good for and what it represents.

"Robin: Innocent Bystander" by Jake Black - why does Batman allow a youth to accompany him on his crusade?

"Batman In Outer Space' by Mike W. Barr - a look at the often dismissed sci-fi era of Batman's history and what worth there might be there.

"Gotham's First Family" by Mary Borsellino - the why and how of Bruce Wayne's parents and their role in creating Batman.

"What's Wrong With Bruce Wayne?" by Robin S. Rosenberg - questioning wheather Bruce Wayne is psychologically flawed.

"The Batman We Deserve" by Daniel M. Kimmel - looking at Batman's evolution through the years.

"To The Batpole!" by Alex Bledsoe - a truly amusing look at a significant moment in young Bruce's life.

"Heroes Of Darkness And Light" by John C. Wright - the differences between Superman and Batman and why the Dark Knight is sexier.

"Batman In The Real World" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch - why Batman is a truly iconic American hero.

"Batman, The Failure" by David Seidman - why Batman's crusade, his methods and his very existence is ultimately pointless.

Kolchak the Night Stalker: Compendium
Kolchak the Night Stalker: Compendium
by Max Allan Collins
Price: CDN$ 32.48
21 used & new from CDN$ 29.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying!, July 2 2012
If you enjoyed the original TV movies and series of Kolchak: The Night Stalker then you will likely enjoy this collection of short stories. Many of the stories read as if they could have made for similar fine episodes if the series had continued for a second season. Once in awhile you might be thrown by references to cellphones and computers because most of these stories are set closer to the present day where Kolchak works for the Hollywood Dispatch, but there are a few stories still set back in the '70s with Kolchak still working for INS in Chicago.

Nonetheless I greatly enjoyed this book. Being short stories (and really a TV episode is also a short story in visual form) you can read one or two at a time and not feel compelled to continue like you might with a novel. And you don't have to read them in any particular order either. But however you read it you will feel part of Kolchak's world as he stalks the night.

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD)
DVD ~ Darren McGavin
Price: CDN$ 35.50
5 used & new from CDN$ 35.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and fun!!!, May 19 2012
I haven't seen this series or the two previous films since they ran in the '70s. Mostly I had a memory of enjoying them, but little memory of specifics. I'm so glad I took a chance and ordered this set. It was a wonderful revisit of a very cool show. I might even appreciate it more now then I did as a teenager. To me it seems hardly to have aged even if I can see some dated aspects in it. The series hit a wonderful balance of charm, quirky humour and creeping you out. And it's easy to see how this inspired the creation of The X-files twenty years later---there are a lot of similarities in concept and even some stories. Most of the twenty episodes I rate Good to Excellent. The few disappointments are not not bad, but only not quite as good as the rest.

The only real disappointment is the lack of extras and that the discs are double sided. What really should be done is a proper remastering as well as inclusion of the previous two made-for-TV movies all in one package. That would be the proper way to celebrate this wonderful show.

Thomas Nast's Christmas Drawings
Thomas Nast's Christmas Drawings
by Thomas Nast
Price: CDN$ 13.50
25 used & new from CDN$ 3.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Dec 28 2011
I really enjoyed getting this book after reading quite a bit of materiel on the history of Christmas and the history and evolution of Santa Claus. Nast's illustrations really underscore how many of the notions about Santa did not originate with the Coca Cola version made popular in the 1930s-60s, but rather all came from around the mid 19th century. I think one can credit Clement Clarke Moore's poem "A Visit From St. Nicholas" (also known as "Twas The Night Before Christmas") and Thomas Nast's illustrations for firmly cementing much of what we know about Santa firmly in the greater public consciousness.

This is an excellent book!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4