summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Family
Profile for Ray Lefebvre > Reviews

Content by Ray Lefebvre

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ray Lefebvre

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
SEARCH: THE COMPLETE SERIES
SEARCH: THE COMPLETE SERIES
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 96.81
12 used & new from CDN$ 52.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what it used to be., March 14 2016
This review is from: SEARCH: THE COMPLETE SERIES (DVD)
When this series aired I was thirteen years old and very taken with the adventure, intrigue and high tech of the show. Fifty years later there is still an interesting concept behind the show, but the execution is very much in the mold of the silly spy craze of the era.

In its own way SEARCH is a lot like the original The Man From U.N.C.L.E. only with a tad more polish. Although I haven't seen these episodes in decades they're largely not as engaging as I once found them to be. Many of the stories are lightweight and largely thin excuses ofr action scenes and the lead characters to play to the audience.

It worked a lot better when you're a less discerning teenager.

NEW Saint's Vacation (1941)/saint (DVD)
NEW Saint's Vacation (1941)/saint (DVD)
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 18.56
16 used & new from CDN$ 18.54

2.0 out of 5 stars Zzzz...., March 14 2016
Creaky and incredibly dull movie making. And Hugh Sinclair makes for a lousy Simon Templar.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.: The Complete First Season
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.: The Complete First Season
DVD ~ Robert Vaughn
Price: CDN$ 23.99
18 used & new from CDN$ 20.22

3.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse of old-school...., March 14 2016
This show was quite popular in its day particularly given the spy craze going on at the time. When I watched this so many years ago when I was quite young it was easy to get caught up in the apparently adult intrigue and adventure aspects of the show.

Flash forward fifty years and this series really shows its age. It's still basically a potentially interesting concept, but the overdone tongue-in-cheek humour along with the period's blatant sexism really make much of the show seem silly now. The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was hardly alone in putting out this kind of fare, but it has to be said that other productions also did a far better job with the subject matter to the point that is still respectable today (particularly Danger Man and Mission: Impossible).

Interestingly I found the recent feature film The Man From U.N.C.L.E. with Henry Cavill and Arnie Hammer in the title roles to make the whole concept work much better than the original series.

This will appeal if you want to experience a strong dose of nostalgia for '60's era spy adventure done with a light touch. Even by standards of the time a lot of the writing is shaky and the stories obvious and lightweight.

The Enterprise, NCC 1701 and The Model Maker
The Enterprise, NCC 1701 and The Model Maker
by N. Datin McDonald
Price: CDN$ 16.77
8 used & new from CDN$ 10.70

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy read!, Feb. 23 2016
Although he is largely recognized now, particularly by those who paid attention to such things, Richard Datin wasn't always given the credit he deserves as the man who built the 33 in. and 11 ft. filming models of the original TOS Enterprise. He also built the familiar miniature set of the ship's Flight Deck that housed the small Galileo shuttlecraft filming miniature. And finally he also built the K7 space station, albeit the K7 was a modification of a pre-existing model. And while he didn't build the small shuttlecraft miniature he did once repair it when he built the famous hangar deck miniature set.

Last November (2015) Richard Datin's daughter released a new book that sets to put the record straight on the man who actually built the starship designed by Matt Jefferies.

It does talk about dimensions, paint colours, materiels and construction details. It sets out to denounce and debunk some long accepted "truths" reprinted in some respected publications. It certainly asserts that no original drawings of the final form of the ship ever appeared in print no matter what has been claimed by various sources. That said it does acknowledge some respectable fan efforts have been done over the years.

Datin appears disappointed and regretful that he was never consulted for any of the 11 footer's previous restorations. He was happy to hear the model was finally getting the present recognition and respectful restoration it deserves.

If there is a disappointment to this book it's in the lack of good images of original source materiels. We don't get to clearly see (at least well) original construction drawings although there are tantalizing glimpses. We also don't get to see any previously unreleased shots of the original Enterprise filming models.

Nonetheless at any rate I do recommend this book for those interested in such things. It's certainly not heavy reading and while the book's focus is predominantly on Datin's involvement with Star Trek it does also touch on his life before and after TOS.

Le temps d'une paix: Série complète (Version française)
Le temps d'une paix: Série complète (Version française)
DVD ~ N/A
Price: CDN$ 189.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 189.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply excellent!, Jan. 30 2016
I purchased this for my parents yet I have been watching this along with them and enjoying it as well. It is an excellently written and well acted series. I also find the period setting and detail fascinating. The characterizations are definitely rich and convoncingly believable. I love the natural humour from the characters brought forth by the characters in such a realistic way exactly like the humour we ind in our everyday lives.

I highly recommend this series!

KEVENZ® Elegant Smart Covers For iPad 2/iPad 3/iPad 4 Case Cover - GOLDEN - K408
Offered by KEVENZINC
Price: CDN$ 28.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, but..., Jan. 12 2016
Firstly, this item arrived promptly and on time as stated.

Secondly, this is a very nice looking and apparently nicely made case. The gold cover finish looks sharp. The fit over my iPad 2 is good. But it does reveal a small flaw in the design--the case partially covers the external volume controls for the iPad. That isn't a huge problem because I can still adjust the volume from the on-screen control panel, but it is an oversight design wise. I tried reversing the iPad in the case to make the volume buttone more accessible, but then that means the speaker would be covered--not good. I might be able to make the cut-out for the volume buttons sufficient larger, but for now I'm okay with it.

Very nice case, but with a small design flaw.

The Saint: The Complete Series
The Saint: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Ivor Dean
Price: CDN$ 189.99
14 used & new from CDN$ 99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying and enjoyable!, Jan. 4 2016
I've always liked The Saint particularly as played by Roger Moore. Over the years I've read probably all the original Saint stories in print and I've always envisioned Roger Moore as Simon Templar.

The 1960's series isn't strictly like the books. The television producers played down Templar's activities outside the law although the subtext and vague references suggest The Saint was more notorious in the past. As such Templar is somewhat sanitized in the series. Even so there are episodes and moments throughout the series when it feels very much like The Saint of the books.

The series is dated in some respects, particularly in its use of music (when can be a bit obtrusive and repetitive at times) and the way some fights are staged.

The DVD transfers themselves are excellent in terms of sound and picture, but regretabbly there are no real extras to the set.

I would have given the set a 5 star rating, but the fact is the casing design is flawed and a bit too flimsy. It looks like it could break easily. Indeed one was broken when I opened the set, but I think I can repair it. That said I advise caution when handling the DVDs in the holders.

Overall I'm quite satisfied and I recommend the set. My disappointments are in terms of the less-than-inspired jacket art and the flimsy DVD holders inside.

Le temps d'une paix - Spécial Le temps des Fêtes (Version française) [Import]
Le temps d'une paix - Spécial Le temps des Fêtes (Version française) [Import]
DVD ~ N/A
Price: CDN$ 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and evocatively nostalgic!, Dec 28 2015
I actually first saw this recently on Christmas Eve with my parents, during which they told me they had watched the series when it ran originally so many years ago. I was intrigued and they both loved this holiday special partly because it reminded them exactly of how they experienced the Christmas and New Year's holidays when they were young in south eastern Quebec. This purchase is a surprise gift to them so they can rewatch this in pristine condition (unlike the now faded telecast) whenever they wish.

The Hunt for Zero Point: Inside the Classified World of Antigravity Technology
The Hunt for Zero Point: Inside the Classified World of Antigravity Technology
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating..., Jan. 19 2014
I certainly found this a page turner with its semi-detective story style. I admit it wasn't what I had initially expected, but what it is is right in the title: The HUNT For Zero Point, and not the CASE or PROOF of it.

The simple truth is much of what we take for granted today was once the realm of science fiction and fantasy to prior generations. And for quite some time now scientists have been telling us that reality and how the universe really works is much stranger than what our everyday experience otherwise suggests. At the quantum level (as I understand it) things don't behave according to Newtonian or perhaps even Einsteinian rules.

There is a compelling notion behind this narrative---that revolutionary ideas are often hidden away until certain powers decide when it's most advantageous for them to allow those ideas to see the light of day. And it's only today, in the past decade or so, that some of these ideas are beginning to surface in broader public forums. And much of it is in the realm of what many of us relegated to science fiction. But put in context, if zero point energy and antigravity, along with everything that goes with them, had actually been introduced in the 1950s-60s it conceivably could have completely undermined vast tracts of technological, military and economic infrastructure. Jet and rocket technology, electric and nuclear power as well as the oil industry could have been brought to their knees. Perhaps one could even make a case that society and the world wasn't yet ready for this science to go mainstream.

It's pretty much a given that many things are done away from plain view and such work creeps into the sunlight in a piecemeal fashion. This book illustrates that it's certainly not a new practice of the powerful and influential and never has been. The book doesn't make a case that zero point and antigravity are in fact for real, but that research for it has been going on for several decades and strongly suggests real fruit from that research. I found it particularly compelling when the author cites examples of possible actual antigravity techonolgy existing unrecognized right before our eyes.

Given enough years you come to realize that truth can often be much stranger than fiction. Things you can't possible imagine happening can often actually happen given the right circumstances. The book certainly does leave you with some question marks, but if nothing else at least it makes you think perhaps a little more critically.

Being Santa Claus: What I Learned about the True Meaning of Christmas
Being Santa Claus: What I Learned about the True Meaning of Christmas
by Sal Lizard
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational., Feb. 18 2013
I was drawn to this book because I started playing Santa about six years ago. The first year I was somewhat cajoled into it much like Sal Lizard was, and yet like him I, too, found I enjoyed it immensely. I enjoyed it so much I had a custom made suit made in an old-fashioned style. Unlike Sal, though, I'm not inclined to work shopping malls with their overly commercial setting and atmosphere. Still I found Sal Lizard's book to be inspirational and I could recognize many of his experiences as my own. There were, however, some of his experiences that I could only barely imagine: visiting with terminally ill children and his experience with one particular boy I found particularly heart-rending.

But overall the book does inspire, whether you ever choose to don a red suit and play Santa or not or whether you're just looking for a little genuine Christmas spirit as a buffer against the hustle and overt commercialism put upon us.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5