Profile for Julie Firth > Reviews

Content by Julie Firth

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Julie Firth (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada)

Marshall McLuhan
Marshall McLuhan
by Judith Fitzgerald
14 used & new from CDN$ 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introduction to a Guru I Never Knew, April 12 2004
This review is from: Marshall McLuhan (Paperback)
Marshall McLuhan was a Wise Guy, a very wise guy. In some ways, he was a phrophet, coming from Canada, no less! It opened my eyes to him and I think Judith Fitzgerald will go down in history as being a great poet, thinker, and genius herself, like her mentor and favourite Canadian. I didn't know he was a McLuhanatic until she wrote about that and she proves he was anything but. I like her writing style in prose but I LOVE her poetry. I started reading her writing in my first year English course but after I read River, I found Iphigenia's Song and it was the best find I could have found. It made me soooo happy when I was very dpwm and feeling I could never be anything but a lonely girl. Judith showed me there is peace and joy, and she helped me stop hurting myself with her book. I never thought I would read about razor blades and scars and find it devastating and beautiful both. I know I am just a girl in Ottawa but I am very very happy to know that even a girl like me matters and I know she wrote this book to help others but it is mostly and the poetry that is so moving and beautiful, the poet is extraordinary and I love her writing.I will order more of her books when I have more money. I have already bought Given Names and Rapturous Chronicles but I am saving them to read them on my birthday because I am not really a published poet yet. All my friends know I am asking them for books by Judith Fitzgerald and I will give me these birthday presents when the time comes, too. I was born on Canada Day. I am truly a Canadian and I think Marshall McLuhan and Judith Fitzgerald are our greatest artists and poets and thinkers. Both are Genius! Awesome. I love them both. I also bought Understanding Media but I don't think I am smart enough to understand it all yet. I know I am not a narcissist in a narcotic haze. Other than that, buy anything you can by either Marshall McLuhan and Judith Fitzgerald. They will make you see the world with fresh eyes.