Profile for Cary S. Whitt > Reviews

Content by Cary S. Whitt

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Cary S. Whitt "Tune Junkie" (Columbus,Ohio USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Cure (Dlx Ltd Ed) (Dvd)
Cure (Dlx Ltd Ed) (Dvd)
Offered by Aux 33 Tours
Price: CDN$ 8.99
13 used & new from CDN$ 6.61

3.0 out of 5 stars A VERY AGGRESSIVE OUTING FOR ROBERT AND CO. (3.5 stars), July 10 2004
This review is from: Cure (Dlx Ltd Ed) (Dvd) (Audio CD)
I am a pretty big fan of the Cure - have been for years. Like some, I have grown apart from Robert in recent years. Highpoints for me have always been pre-Disintegration stuff. While this may be they best thing they've done in a long while, it does have it's flaws. This self-titled release is a very hard record to get through. Its very angry and distorted through most of it, the only lighter track being the radio-single, The End of The World. Now I think that's a very good Cure song, dark yet optomistic, passionate yet playful. The rest of the record is dark, but a bit dingy, not to mention pretty angry. The song Us or Them seems to sum up The Cure a-la 2004 quite well. "I don't want you near me, get your f-ing world out of my head", like I said, Robert is really put-off by something. The thing is, I'm not sure what is making him pull out the f-bomb (maybe its those damn Lovecats)? In my mind, the Robert of old expressed himself a lot better without being so obviously angry. Couple that with the over-all stark nature of this record and you get a very tough listen. Harcore fans will no doubtly find this a welcomed return, and while I do as well, there are tons and tons of better Cure records out there. This is not a bad record, but when choosing something from The Cure, it pays ten-fold to choose wisely.

Franz Ferdinand
Franz Ferdinand
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 22.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 1.98

5.0 out of 5 stars JEEPERS KEEPERS, July 10 2004
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
One of my favorite debut albums in recent memory. It got me hooked immediately and has yet to let go. Franz Ferdinand has really outdone any of the success they've either achieved or have yet to achieve.
Their debut is filled with sure-fire singles, bouncy post punk and dancefloor friendly rock. It seems everyone and their mother loves Take Me Out, and have no fear, the rest of the album follows that very high cue. Songs like Michael, Tell Her Tonight, Jacqueline or Darts of Pleasure could've easily traded places with the "buzzworthy" Take Me Out. The other tracks on here are hardly filler either. You have some hidden "growers" in the mix like Dark of The Matinee, which is now my favorite track on the record. This is one of those rare (recent) records that really kindles my love for music. It reminds me how I felt about like the first Strokes record, or the time I first heard The Rapture's - Echoes or Interpol's - Turn on The Bright Lights. Franz Ferdinand can take their place in my heavy rotation list for a long time on from now. I am very smitten.
I have a feeling this will competeing for one of the top spots on my best of the year list.

Substance
Substance
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 24.94
10 used & new from CDN$ 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Own., July 2 2004
This review is from: Substance (Audio CD)
Joy Division are one of those bands that will always stay with me. Even though I was rather young when they were actually playing together, I discovered them quite early on in my New Order obsession. That helped me to define both bands, their musical catalogs, as well as their place in my cd collection.
I am reviewing (and recommending) this record because if someone out there wants and introduction to Joy Division, they would be hard-pressed to get a better deal than the well-priced Substance LP. Sure, if you've got the dough go ahead and pony up for the beautifully realized box set (designed by Factory Records mainstay, Peter Saville).
Substance has all the singles that any American has probably heard on any good jukebox. Atmosphere, Love Will Tear Us Apart and She's Lost Control are all here and sound great for a 1988 release. You'll get a better recording on the box set versions, but that's your 60 bucks compared to your 11 bucks. The main draw of substance is, like the box set, the nice mix of tunes from the band's brief and brilliant time together. A task not as easliy done as one might think. Some of the best bits, are earlier, yet rougher tracks like, Warsaw. The band were finding their sound and making new incredible music all at the same time. Later songs, like Love Will Tear Us Apart, are far more polished, and a bit more accessible to the masses, but none-the-less, great. All in all, this is a great addition to any post-punk, brit-punk, alternative, indie music fans' collection. I give it my highest praise, and I think you might too.

Misery Is A Butterfly
Misery Is A Butterfly
Offered by usedsalesca
Price: CDN$ 11.49
27 used & new from CDN$ 3.87

4.0 out of 5 stars A defining moment for them, April 16 2004
This review is from: Misery Is A Butterfly (Audio CD)
You know those records that catch a band at their peak? The ones that come around where the planets are aligned and all is right in your world? It has happened to a lot of artists: Pavement's - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain, U2's - Joshua Tree and even something like Blur's - Parklife. Now I'm not comparing Misery is a Butterfly to those, just simply drawing a look to what is happening with the latest Blonde Redhead release. I really feel that this record is what they've been striving to achieve for some time now, the timing is indeed right. The planets are lining up and the music snobs are coming around as well.
It is a beautiful record. The arrangements are lush the vocals are unique and well-mixed. The lyrics are thoughful and engaging. One can sense the craft that went into such a piece of work. My favorite tunes off Misery are the first two. Esp. the haunting, The Messenger, it has such style and grace, you'll be hooked from the opening bars.
It is hard to classify this record into a genre - but if I had to do it, I would throw it somewhere in the arena of lush-indie. The strings they use are more present and they really sound great throughout. They switch up singers to a nice flow. They use classical breaks and bridges one might find at an opera. There are a lot of things going on, all good.

Talkie Walkie (Ltd.Ed)
Talkie Walkie (Ltd.Ed)
Offered by marvelio-ca
Price: CDN$ 19.79
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Return To Moon Safari Style, Feb. 11 2004
This review is from: Talkie Walkie (Ltd.Ed) (Audio CD)
... Ok, now, with that off my chest, let's talk about Talkie Walkie.
Like most Air fans, I was rather disappointed with 10,000 HZ Legend and really wanted a Moon Safari part 2. Talkie Walkie gives us a hybrid of The Virgin Suicides soundtrack and pieces of that great Moon Safari record. For starters they went back to adding simple and heavy atmosphere on this record. They lost the useless collaborations seen on 10,000, and made the most of the electronic landscapes they so beautifully create.
There are at least 4 definite ringers on here. Starting with the lead single, Cherry Blossom Girl, a beautiful dramatic tune with coy female vocals and melodic guitars. The third track on the album is probably my favorite one. Titled Run, its a bit more futuristic in scope, a bit more fun as well with this robotic vocal that repeats the chorus, run run run run run run run. It just sounds really great when cranked up to 11. I was very happy with the inclusion of Alone In Kyoto, the song Air wrote for the film Lost In Translation. Like the film, the music has a way of setting a mood and transforming the atmosphere with it's lush yet minimal arrangement. I also like Surfin On A Rocket, a mid-tempo, single-to-be, that in ways, harks back to the always great, Sexy Boy. The rest of Talkie Walkie is equally up to the task and makes this one great piece of work.
In 1998, I listed Air's Moon Safari, #1 on my best of the year list (check out my lists in the listmania area for all my best of lists) Since then, they've missed the target a few times but always manage to produce enough quality tunes to keep me buying. Talkie Walkie is not only a return to form, but one of the best electronic records I've heard this year.

Room On Fire
Room On Fire
Price: CDN$ 8.23
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars IN THE RUNNING, Oct. 29 2003
This review is from: Room On Fire (Audio CD)
Definitely in the running for my favorite record of the year. Room On Fire gives the casual, as well as the die-hard Strokes fan, exactly what they have been wanting. The second record is really just an extension of the first with a little more umph put in. They added a guitar here, a new keyboard there, but really haven't mucked with the formula too much.
Room On Fire does it's best to stand alone next to it's predecessor. The overall record is a tad bit more slick and polished, but that doesn't get in the way of their sound. Some of the tracks like Reptilia have an overall more complex feel, again, more production work. Another track called Automatic Stop, gets it's inspiration from early 80's Blondie and a smidge of Reggae flavor (just a smidge though).
Room On Fire is rather short, a few minutes shorter than the first, but it is one of those discs that will be on repeat more often than not. There simply are no stinkers on it. Each tune bops along until it's time for the next one to start up. Some of the tunes that are already instant Strokes favs include the new single, 12:51, past live favorites like Between Love and Hate (which went under the title, Ze Newie, on most show setlists) and Meet Me In The Bathroom are already well known to most fans. I happen to really like how the finished version of The Way It Is came out after I had heard live a number of times. Like I said this is everything a Strokes fan is asking for and a bit more thrown in for good measure. Each new song could have appeared on the debut, and it wouldn't have stuck out at all. All this is a good thing if you ask me. Hey, if it isn't broke...

Reality
Reality
Price: CDN$ 9.49
13 used & new from CDN$ 5.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Some New Killer Tunes (3.5 stars), Oct. 24 2003
This review is from: Reality (Audio CD)
There are SOME songs on Reality that are quite good, including the first single, New Killer Star. Couple that with the stark, almost creepy, facade of Bring Me The Disco King, and you off to a very, very good start. Unfortunately, The Richman cover, Pablo Picasso, hits as the second track and is pretty weak. BUT the rest of the record is very enjoyable Bowie fare. The Loneliest Guy is another stark atmospheric landscape brilliantly painted by producer Tony Visconti. The same rings true for She'll Drive The Big Car (albeit a faster tempo). Long gone is the wailing of Reeves Gabriels' guitar, and what we're left with is another back to basics Bowie record. Much like, but ultimately much better than, Heathen. Reality sees our thin white Duke still creating the stuff of most artists' dreams.

Wainwright Rufus:Want One
Wainwright Rufus:Want One
Price: CDN$ 12.98
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Wrong With It, But It's Not His Best (3.5 stars), Oct. 24 2003
Really good disc in a year that is giving us some really great discs. Rufus seems to have morphed his previous records into one, topping it off with a more slickly, produced sound. A trait that sometimes enhances a tune, and sometimes hinders another. Some highlights include the parade-tempo of Oh What A World, Movies of Myself and Beautiful Child. The lyrics are typical Rufus, but as I've read here before, they aren't as strong as his previous releases. Not a major fall-out or anything, just a little more one dimensional. Again, no biggie.
If your buying Rufus for the first time I suggest you start at the first record and work your way up to this one. It's a natural progression that's quite the path to follow, but rewarding in the end.

Permission to Land
Permission to Land
Price: CDN$ 13.70
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Some will get it, most will not., Oct. 20 2003
This review is from: Permission to Land (Audio CD)
I do get it though and what I get is NOT a joke. However strange and ill-timed this glam-hair-metal sensation may seem, they do indeed, rock.
I will admit it took a few listens to get used to the high octaves and screaming fallsettos in the vocals on Permission To Land, but once I did, the album simply rocked. Overall, The Darkness aren't even my usual cup of tea. I tend to stay away from the metal arena, but The Darkness can not be ignored, believe me. The record has great rock melodies all the way through, I Believe In A Thing Called Love, Growing On Me and Get Your Hands Of My Woman, are all great singles with the catchiest of hooks. The rest of the disc rarely turns south either, in the end, it's mostly killer, hardly any filler.

Get Born
Get Born
Price: CDN$ 12.85
69 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Get Rock, Oct. 17 2003
This review is from: Get Born (Audio CD)
Well, as it has been said in many reviews, there's nothing new here. So what. Jet draw upon and nick everything that's good about rock-n-roll. A bit of swagger there, a pinch of drunken chaos here. Couple that kind of stuff with a simple back to basics rock record and you get music that will definitely please the rocker within. Get Born is a great debut. A debut that is basically a hybrid of ACDC, a little Oasis, and a lot of "Taken Care Of Business" (Rollover DJ). Some might see this as unoriginal and predictable. Again, it IS all this, and that my friends, is a good thing in this day and age.
Lots of high-marks throughout the records' 13 tracks. Are You Gonna Be My Girl and Rollover DJ are really great, fast paced stompin' singles. I also really like Take It Or Leave It, and Cold Hard B...., another couple of raw energy rockers that please the 70's rock soul. My only complaint is that those, with another 2 tunes from Get Born, have been included from the Dirty Sweet EP. (I always like EP's to have something not found on the full lengths) Anyway this is a great rock record. Don't expect it change your life, but do expect it to get you moving.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9