Profile for G. Parnell > Reviews

Content by G. Parnell

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

G. Parnell "garythemessage" (Florida)

Page: 1 | 2
V3 Bluegrass Album California
V3 Bluegrass Album California
Price: CDN$ 19.62
21 used & new from CDN$ 15.14

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm listening to it right now!, June 26 2004
This is probably my favorite of the 6 Bluegrass Album Band albums. Some very lively songs, like "Devil in Disguise" and "Come Back Darling" mix well with quieter tunes like "Unfaithful One."
As for the Boston Bean who said something idiotic about Bluegrass needing to have a "dirty" sound, that sounds right coming from someone from Mass. Don't listen to that tripe. I'm from Arkansas and have been listening to Bluegrass for 30+ years. I love this album, and I love the Bluegrass Album Band.
This is traditional Bluegrass - not "Newgrass" or "Spacegrass." Tradional musicians playing tradional instruments with a traditional sound. If you want "dirty" music, go listen to 2 Live Crew, or something. Sheesh.

Gladius X-Box
Gladius X-Box
11 used & new from CDN$ 12.41

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought it - I'm playing it, Jan. 12 2004
This review is from: Gladius X-Box (Video Game)
I read Lifespuppet's review and I would have to agree with him:
"My first thoughts playing this game were how repetitive it seemed. Admittedly, you will spend you first couple hours getting to know the combat system, and learning how best to use your main characters. If you can get beyond the training battles and allow the variety of the world to work its magic, you will find this game to be a wonderful diversion."
I, too, felt some initial pangs of dread when I first started playing this game. It was a little hard to get into, but after about 12 hours of non-stop play I realized that I'd been hooked.
There are weaknesses with this game, but my experience thus far with console games is that there are shortcomings with every game. You just have to take the good with the bad.
First off, I disagree with most people who say that Gladius has a "wealth" of weapons and armor. I'm an old AD&D campaigner (pencil, paper and dice) from the early 80's. Trust me, there are millions of other items of military gear that didn't make it to this game. That being said, it's one of the games biggest challenges to get all your gladiators properly equipped - and kept that way as they advance in levels. See? That's a majorly important part of the game. Also, I disagree with the "wealth" of spells and abilities. I found Gladius lacking there, too. But, again, it's still a challange to see that your team is well-rounded. At first I tended to keep all my gladiators the same, but found that I could only compete well in certain situations. I became forced to try the "weaker" classes and "odd" abilities in order to have a chance to win in all the battles. I wasn't happy about it - I like to win every time! But I appreciate the challenge. It's very gratifying to lose a certain battle 3 or 4 times in a row, then finally find the right combination of gladiators and skills to kick butt!
I guess my biggest complaint is that the turns seem to start taking A LONG LONG TIME, making you wait for everybody to do their thing. Too bad there wasn't some sort of speed setting built in so that more experienced players could rip through battles quicker. Oh well... the good with the bad...
Here's my summation: If you like fast paced games - you might not get into Gladius. If you like slow paced strategy building games - you should enjoy Gladius.

Skaggs And Rice
Skaggs And Rice
Price: CDN$ 19.27
20 used & new from CDN$ 13.72

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites, Oct. 23 2003
This review is from: Skaggs And Rice (Audio CD)
I grew up in North Cental Arkansas, about an hour west of Mountain View. The gospel songs on this album took me back to my childhood days in the old bible belt. "Where the Soul of Man Never Dies" still makes me cry. We played this album at my Father's funeral. It's got emtional ups and downs, and it was a fittin' play for my Daddy's final rest.
"Burry Me Beneath the Willow" was the song that originally did me in. I heard this song playing at a friend's house, and I was immediately hooked. I've always loved Ricky Skagg's traditional bluegrass, and Tony Rice is a master in so many ways. I ain't much for bluegrass that don't follow the old line, and this CD pleased by keeping close to its roots, but it did have a fresh sound to some good old songs.
This is and always will be one of my favorites. Thanks, Ricky and Tony! My Daddy loved your album, too!

Led Zeppelin: DVD [2 Discs]
Led Zeppelin: DVD [2 Discs]
DVD ~ Robert Plant
Price: CDN$ 35.99
41 used & new from CDN$ 6.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Led Zeppelin, May 30 2003
This review is from: Led Zeppelin: DVD [2 Discs] (DVD)
[Discussing Disc One] From the very first seconds, this was an incredible experience. I was only two-years-old when the footage on DVD-1 was shot. I was never able to see Led Zeppelin in concert during their day. "The Song Remains the Same" video was somewhat of a dissapointment - this endeavour blows that attempt away. Those that are responsible for this work - Thank you! The footage is magnificent, yet raw and smacks solidly against the brain. It captures all the improvisation; one can actually witness these four creating new material on stage, literally making it up as they went along. Rock was in a state of flux, and we are allowed a long clear look at the metamorphosis brought about by Led Zeppelin's talent and daring.
And, Dear God, how about that John Bonham! During "White Summer" he makes his power known by sneaking in on Page's ad lib's and totally transforming the feel and texture. And "Moby Dick!" That alone was worth the purchase price! You can look and see one tiny drop of persperation marking the center of John's shirt, proof that he was indeed laboring during this portion of the show. And when John labored, he was unmatched by any drummer that planet Earth ever produced.
Robert Plant sang well. His voice was in his control, which is more than can be said for a lot of Rock singers in that era. Watch as he and Page play games, going back and forth, mimicking each other's notes, taking turns. A lot of fun.
How young they all were in this first disc. That in itself was intriguing. The whole performance was reminiscent of a "bar band" scenario; they were all at ease and having a blast. The crowd often was completely silent, intent and enthralled with what was going on onstage.
Again, Thanks to all who made this possible. It is a treasure beyond any words I could come up with. I'm going to buy this for both my brothers (Zep fans) and for a couple of friends, too. It's too great not to be witnessed by all.

Sorcerer Metamorphosis
Sorcerer Metamorphosis
by Jack Whyte
21 used & new from CDN$ 1.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Gosh - I just expected more..., May 18 2003
This review is from: Sorcerer Metamorphosis (Hardcover)
First off, I love the way Mr. Whyte writes. It's been a while since I last found a series of modern works worth reading, and the Camulod series really satisfies the true reader. The words fly through the brain effortlessly and the thousands of pages are turned with amazing speed. A good read, and that is no lie. But! After all that, I am gravely disappointed that Arthur was not given more attention. This book, and this series, just ended - WHAM! Halfway through "Sorcerer," I panicked. Arthur was still only 15. That was when I finally excepted that Jack had no intention of telling the actual Arthur story. He instead has told the events leading up to the Arthur legend - the story of the making of Camelot. He has left the actual Arthur story largely untold. I guess this is what he intended, and I will not blame him, yet I am left languishing for the actual tales of Arthur in his manhood. Maybe... just maybe... there will be another book after "Uther" ??? I can always hope... In any event, I am a Jack Whyte fan and promote his work shamelessly.

Alice in Chains:MTV Unplugged
Alice in Chains:MTV Unplugged
DVD ~ Alice in Chains
Price: CDN$ 15.11
31 used & new from CDN$ 7.40

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Keeper!, Jan. 14 2003
Like Alice in Chains? Buy it! A fan of Layne or Jerry? Buy it! Never heard AIC music but liked the "Seatle Sound" of the 90's? Definitely buy this DVD! This is something that I will watch again and again 'till the day I die.
Thanks, Alice in Chains, for letting this work be done!
Florida

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Widescreen, Collector's Boxed Set)
DVD ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 490.01
9 used & new from CDN$ 133.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining - Still a Sell-Out, June 29 2002
The fact that a decent attempt was finally made to capture Tolkien's life work into film is somewhat pleasing, however, the books themselves will never be mastered.
I understand why Arwen's role had to be enlarged. The movie had to make money. It's still a sell-out no matter how one looks at it.There has been so much talk about the lengths that Peter went to, trying to be true to the original story, but there are still major embellishments that don't ring true to this old-time Tolkien fan.
All in all... A dynamite movie. I take nothing away from that fact. I will see the next two and buy all the DVD's. Forsooth! The Fellowship of the Ring was that good!

Thirteen Ghosts
Thirteen Ghosts
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 15.98
22 used & new from CDN$ 1.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet another wasted effort..., June 22 2002
This review is from: Thirteen Ghosts (DVD)
I've read a lot of the reviews for this movie, and I must say that I agree with many of them - good and bad. But in the end, what exactly was this movie supposed to be? Horror? Well, it most assuredly was not that. Comedy? Yes, closer to comedy.
Will we ever see a "horror" film in which the simple-minded good-guys (and small children) DON'T save the day and triumph over a ridiculously greater and more powerful evil? I mean... Come on! That's Disney stuff!
"The Omen?" A very good horror flick. Why? Everybody dies and evil triumphs. "The Exorcist?" Excellent! Why? The priests die and the demon escapes. "Blair Witch?" Creepy! Why? Everybody dies and the evil entity continues unmatched. "The Shining?" (I'm talking about the movie and not the book.) Haunting! Why? The possessed hotel continues even though two people escape. "13 Ghosts?" Funny. Comic relief every 2 minutes. Even half of the ghosts themselves were laughable. And that babysitter... Jesus! What was that character doing in a "horror" flic? She (the character) belongs on weekday sitcom.
Please please spare me these "horror" movies where bad actors/actresses defeat the very powers of Hell and Satan himself! Leave that stuff for the kiddies to watch on Saturday cartoons.
There was truly some dark and evil potential in this movie. It was completely wasted. There were a couple of wicked and horrific monsters here - completely wasted. I immediately went to sleep after this thing and did not give it a second thought. No scary images are even remotely lingering in my thoughts or in my mind. Big disappointment!

Jeremiah Johnson (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Jeremiah Johnson (Widescreen/Full Screen)
DVD ~ Robert Redford
Offered by boutiquecinemaniac,com
Price: CDN$ 24.95
12 used & new from CDN$ 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars God! What an Epic!, June 18 2002
A sweeping tribute to an American legend. This one movie, barring all others, has made me a lifelong Redford fan. The beautiful shots of the "Rockies" (filmed in Utah) lend an unescapable sense of realism and believablility. The hard and calloused characters Jeremiah meets throughout this movie are just as credible. What a story! What an adventure! Get swept up in this one!

Carnivore (Widescreen)
Carnivore (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Steven Walker
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 30.42
7 used & new from CDN$ 12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst film I've ever seen..., May 21 2002
This review is from: Carnivore (Widescreen) (DVD)
Don't let the positive reviews fool you. They fooled me. I selected this movie from pay-per-view and watched the first 30 minutes. I could not believe that this movie involved adults. My 8 and 10 year old nephews have put on better skits with their Transformer dolls. The only good thing is that I now have an answer for the question "What was the absolutely worst movie you've ever seen?"

Page: 1 | 2