Profile for Ray Lin > Reviews

Content by Ray Lin

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ray Lin (Seattle, WA)

Microsoft® .NET XML Web Services Step by Step
Microsoft® .NET XML Web Services Step by Step
by Adam Freeman
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars good book!, April 7 2003
This is a good book for everyone to learn XML web service! It is very straightforward and easy to understand!When reading this book and following the instructions step by step, I learn a lot of concepts and understand the basic ideas of XML web service! After reading this book, you can read the advanced books about XML service! I really recommend this book to all of you!

Programming Data-Driven Web Applications with ASP.NET
Programming Data-Driven Web Applications with ASP.NET
by Donny Mack
Price: CDN$ 26.45
23 used & new from CDN$ 3.83

5.0 out of 5 stars the book for beginners! ~wonderful, Dec 10 2002
This book is so wonderful that I strongly recommand this book to all of the beginners who want to know asp.net.
The authors write about asp.net very clearly in plain English. They use C# and VB.net together, which is better for anyone who understands Java and then goes through asp.net very quickly.
If you want to know how to write class in VB.net using asp.net, you should read this book. It is more clear than any other book.
I suggest that the authors can write advanced books about asp.net again.

ASP.NET for Web Designers
ASP.NET for Web Designers
by Peter Ladka
Price: CDN$ 29.61
21 used & new from CDN$ 3.51

5.0 out of 5 stars good book!, Dec 2 2002
This is a good book for me to study ASP.net! Not only can I learn how to write vb.net , but also I can know c# in this book.The author writes how to comapre 2 languages very clearly.
It is very useful for me! If you learn Java before and want to concentrate on how to learn asp.net, I recommand you buy this book!

Oracle9i for Windows(R) Handbook
Oracle9i for Windows(R) Handbook
by Anand Adkoli
Price: CDN$ 47.22
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.10

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good book for everyone!, June 18 2002
"Oracle 9i for Windows Handbook," is a good book for me to learn Oracle 9i in Windows environment. When I suddenly found this book in Borders, I was very excited to read it for 1 hour. And then I ordered it online.
I like the author's writing style. Before I read this book, I was very confused about how to create a oracle 9i database manually in Windows 2000. I don't know the commands and registry key in Windows 2000. After reading this book, I get all the answers in this book.
In this book, you will find it very clear to learn how to create a database using DBCA and how to create a database manually. This book also gives me a good idea about how to upgrade from oracle 8/8i to oralce 9i using database migration assistant or using export and import command. The author makes a comment on when is the best time to use them separately. I also learn how to backup the database using cold backup, hot backup and recovery manager.
If you want to go through Oracle 9i and have a hands-on experience in your own PC, I recommand that you use this book as a reference. This book covers a lot of topics, but maybe you will find that's not enoght for you to know Oracle 9i in detail. I still recommend that the beginners read this book.

Oracle DBA Interactive Workbook
Oracle DBA Interactive Workbook
by Melanie Caffrey
Price: CDN$ 29.60
19 used & new from CDN$ 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good book for hands-one experience!, June 13 2002
I think this is a good book for all of you to have a hands-on experience in oracle database. If you understand some concepts of oracle database, you will find it useful.
Everyone doesn't use unix at home, but it provides how to use unix and windows NT in oracle database.
I am expecting the author can rewrite the book and add the contents of oracle 9i to this book. It will be more helpful.

Applied Statistics and the SAS Programming Language
Applied Statistics and the SAS Programming Language
by Ronald P. Cody
20 used & new from CDN$ 1.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book!, May 15 2002
If you don't have the background of SAS programming. You should read this book. If you have the background of C/C++ and SQL, you will find SAS is very easy to learn.
I spend less time learning SAS concepts when I read this book. In part 1, the author reviews the basic concepts of statistics when running sas. This is very easy to understand!
In part 2, he mentions how to infile the large data in the sas environment. You don't have to type all the data in the sas enviroment in the beginning. It is very useful.
I think this is a good book for beginners who want to know what SAS programming is. I hope the author still can write the book about advanced SAS programming .