ARRAY(0xac779120)

Profile for Terry Terrance > Reviews

Content by Terry Terrance

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Terry Terrance (Peoria, IL)

Enchanted April [Import]
Enchanted April [Import]
VHS
6 used & new from CDN$ 1.75

5.0 out of 5 stars The most unusual, July 4 2004
While some may say this is a "chick flick" I couldn't disagree more. The form, casting, story, and, well, everything is just so unusual. The cast is superb with Polly Walker and Joan Plowright coming out on top. And the photography and settings are the best. But what I liked most about it was the lack of a formulaic approach. The movie starts out with dissonances and then does nothing but resolve itself slowly so that by the time you're at the end, you feel like YOU'VE been on vacation. This isn't a movie; it's a work of art.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars You're kidding . . . right?, July 4 2004
The one star in my review is for the city of Tokyo and the mini-travelogue that I received. If you want to get the best part out of this film, watch the first ten minutes, then turn it off. The opening is absolutely beautiful and I was prepared to be knocked over, but what happened next was . . . nothing. I take issue with those who liked this film saying that we "just don't get it." I'm not a fan of shoot-em-up car-chase movies. But I do like either a plot or some psychological aspect of the film to take hold at some point. After all, if you're going to spend mega-bucks and take the time and energy to shoot a movie, why not make it good? Just a thought. One of my all-time favorite movies is "Death in "Venice." I'm telling you this to make a point. It's probably one of the slowest movies on earth with an opening sequence of a boat approaching that takes forever. BUT, it's probably one of the most fascinating movies ever made, and the psycholigical aspect of the older man and the young boy is riveting. In that movie you feel as if something happens, even if you're not sure what. You come away moved, or at least changed. Not so in "Translation."
I fully understand Bill Murray's desire to break out of his comic mold, and this would have been the movie for him to do it in, even with his dead-pan "non-acting" stance. But, hey, why not give him and the other characters a script to work with? This movie could have been fantastic if toward the end you found out WHY the characters were the way they were---some deep dark secret that pulled everything together and made sense. So I waited. And waited. And waited. Nothing. I don't blame Murray for this film's failure. I blame the director and script writer. With all that Sophia C. has/had at her fingertips, and with the support and money and name she has, I simply expect better. The translation of this film was truly "lost" on me.

The Rule of Four
The Rule of Four
by Ian Caldwell
130 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Summer read, July 3 2004
This review is from: The Rule of Four (Hardcover)
The problem with any book that is over-hyped or has made it to a bestseller list is that we expect too much. If you'd run across this novel on your own, simply by scanning the shelves in a bookstore, and read it and liked it, you'd be running down the street screaming its praises. But then, if you'd been scanning the titles in a bookstore, there's probably NO WAY you would have picked it up, simply because the title doesn't really tell you what the book is about. Anyway. While I enjoyed this book very much, there were a few things wrong with it. The time line used in the books makes it hard to enjoy because there is just no way, physically, that the characters could do as much as they did in so little time. And I'm overlooking their scholarly accomplishments, I'm only talking about physically moving between so many places. I realize that authors nowadays don't do all their homework (look at Da Vinci Code and its mistakes), and I realize that most people don't care---they simply want a good story. But if you take the time and energy to write a book, and the costs involved, shouldn't you also take the time to get it right? This is a good beach read, constructed for the masses. Just don't go into a fast-food place, order a hamburger, and expect filet mignon.

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tollerance Approach to Punctuation
Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tollerance Approach to Punctuation
by Lynne Truss
Price: CDN$ 18.18
142 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and informative, July 3 2004
When I first saw this book advertised, I coudn't imagine what it was about. What kind of title is that? Then I read the description and it made perfect sense. So much for the laws of a short, descriptive title that tells you exactly what the book is about. Perhaps a few agents and publishers will learn something from this. At any rate, I fully recommend "Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" by Lynne Truss. It will not replace your AP, Chicago, MLA or APA stylebooks, but it will add to your enjoyment of their much-needed use. This book is funny, informative, and above all, a must for anyone interested in the betterment of mankind.

My Life
My Life
by Bill Clinton
Price: CDN$ 31.35
112 used & new from CDN$ 0.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, July 3 2004
This review is from: My Life (Hardcover)
When you look up the word "thorough" in the dictionary, you'll seed a photo of book. Clinton may have been a lot of things, but a skimper on details was not one of them. Yes, there's probably more information than you need to know, but when and if you get past that, this is one interesting bio. We all probably thought we knew the man. After all, what WASN'T printed or plastered on the TV about his professional and private life. But what you'll come away with after reading this book is a better sense of exactly who, and more important, WHY Clinton is the man he is. Forget your political sides and read this for the person.

David Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall
David Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall
by David Sedaris
Edition: Audio CD
Price: CDN$ 16.91
39 used & new from CDN$ 3.55

4.0 out of 5 stars The only thing better, July 3 2004
The only thing better than reading a David Sedaris book, such as Me Talk Pretty, Naked, or Barrel Fever, is listening to him. This is one funny guy, with dry wit and humor that makes its point without the overuse of profanity. True, some of his "situation" and escapades are racy, but there's an underlying sweetness to the work. Also some underlying sadness. Don't pass this one by.

The Sherbrooke Twins
The Sherbrooke Twins
by Catherine Coulter
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
73 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever story, May 6 2004
I found this to be a clever story, and the author's handling of the plot to be outstanding. I see from other reviews that not everyone agrees, but perhaps it was because I came to this book totally unprepared and unbiased that I was able to fully appreciate it. You see, my wife brought it home and I picked it up, thinking it was going to be some sappy romance with little substance. And while it's not my usual cup of tea, I actually enjoyed the thing. Being in a book club allows me to read all kinds of novels, and I've actually recommended this one to go along with a few others we have. Lately we've been through DECEPTION POINT, TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE, and Jackson McCrae's BARK OF THE DOGWOOD, so I think we'll be able to handle this one as well, being the eclectic bunch that we are!

Deception Point
Deception Point
by Dan Brown
184 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A book club pick, May 6 2004
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Our book club picked this Dan Brown novel and two other books that we've really enjoyed ("Birth of Venus" and "Bark of the Dogwood" were the other two). While all were excellent and I highly recommend them, "Deception Point" moved along the quickest and was my favorite. I actually read "Da Vince" and "Angels & Demons" also, on my own, and have to say that this book was even better than those two. Great fun and a definite page turner.

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, A Young Man and Life's Greatest Lesson
Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, A Young Man and Life's Greatest Lesson
by Mitch Albom
Price: CDN$ 16.89
246 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet, May 6 2004
This was a short and sweet read. I thoroughly enjoyed the book even though I had seen the movie (which was also excellent). No, this isn't going to win the Pulitzer Prize, but it will warm your heart and start you thinking about what your life means, where you've been, and where you're going. Some of the ideas presented in this book may be rolling around in your head already--volunteering, activism in the community, doing what really makes you happy--and some may not. Read it anyway for it is inspirational and moving.
Also recommended: BARK OF THE DOGWOOD by Jackson McCrae and DECEPTION POINT