Profile for S. Painchaud > Reviews

Content by S. Painchaud

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

S. Painchaud "Sophie" (Sherbrooke, Qc, Canada)

Crunchy Cons: How Birkenstocked Burkeans, gun-loving organic gardeners, evangelical free-range farmers, hip homeschooling mamas, right-wing nature lovers, and their diverse
by Rod Dreher
15 used & new from CDN$ 0.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting read, Dec 31 2012
I've known about Mr. Dreher ever since his articles were published in my hometown's newspaper, back in 2004. And even though I don't agree with him on some issues (mostly social), I've always found him very interesting, stimulating albeit, at times, frustrating. His articles have stopped being published in my newspaper shortly after Bush's reelection but I kept reading Mr. Dreher's articles through his blog. I'm left-leaning but it's important, to me, to also get information from knowledgeable people on the right to have a better understanding of things and he, along with Andrew Sullivan and a handful of others,is one of those people. At least for me.

In this book, I was surprised at times to see a certain naivete usually associated to people on my side of the spectrum (even though I see more and more, as I get older, this question of «side» as pure b*****it). And it was also frustrating to feel like he sees liberals all the same (especially when sex is concerned), when this book is about trying to make us learn about a different kind of conservatism, as opposed to what the GOP has offered for the last couple of years. But that being said, I was also pleasantly surprised to find myself agreeing with the author on a lot of subjects (mainly food, overconsumption and materialism).

All in all, that book was to me what Mr. Dreher has been on a regular basis ever since I've known about him since 2004: frustrating, provoking, but also interesting, stimulating and refreshing.

Totally Bamboo Pizza Peel
Totally Bamboo Pizza Peel
Price: CDN$ 19.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, Feb. 8 2012
I'm very happy with this peel. It works wonderfully. I use parchement paper all the time, so no need to use cornmeal.

Irish Pub Cooking
Irish Pub Cooking
by Larry Doyle
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I can have Foley's cottage pie whenever I want, Feb. 8 2012
This review is from: Irish Pub Cooking (Paperback)
My husband and I were in San Francisco for the GDC two years ago and had dinner at Foley's with some colleagues of his. I had the cottage pie and it was so good, I had to restrain myself from licking the bowl in front of everybody. Unfortunately, we live far, far away from San Francisco (one of the most beautiful city in the world)and couldn't have dinner at Foley's whenever we wanted to. I've tried a couple of times to duplicate the cottage pie recipe but failed miserably. But when I found out that I could buy this cookbook, I wasted no time and I'm really happy with this purchase. Other recipes are really good (Irish Lamb Stew comes to mind)but to be able to have Foley's cottage pie whenever I want to, in itself, is worth the price.

USA Pans 15 x 6 x 1.5-Inch New England Hot Dog Pan Aluminized Steel with Americoat
Price: CDN$ 40.39
7 used & new from CDN$ 36.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing hot dog buns, Feb. 8 2012
I dont't like supermarket bread and I've been making my own bread for a while, now. The next logical step was to make hot dog and burger buns. The first time I've tried to make my own hot dog buns, I laughed non-stop for about 20 minutes at the final results. They were horribly dense and looked nothing like hot dog buns. And I mean nothing. My kids and my husband looked at me as if they were saying: please, don't do this to us anymore. Enter my breadmachine and this hot dog pan. I used the pan for the first time when I made hot dogs for the Super Bowl and they turned out great! The taste was amazing and the buns looked like actual hot dogs. I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase. And my kids don't scream at the thought of eating homemade hot dogs anymore.

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods
by Jennifer Reese
Price: CDN$ 22.39
30 used & new from CDN$ 2.03

4.0 out of 5 stars The push we needed, Dec 19 2011
My husband and I have been thinking for a long time about taking the homemade route. The author just gave us the one last push we needed. This book is fun, motivating, and informative... although I'm so not ready to have goats and bees in my backyard (and that's a shame because just for the fun of seeing my kids's face, it would be worth it). But we're thinking about getting chickens. That's a start.

By no means am I a great cook or baker. But this book made me want to get better at it. I already knew about all the advantages of cooking and baking most of my own stuff regarding health and money but I just wasn't sure I could do it. Yes I can. And that's the main thing I love about this book: the motivation it gave me to finally take that last step. And I'm glad I did.

Année Chapleau (L'), 2011
Année Chapleau (L'), 2011
by Serge Chapleau
Price: CDN$ 20.19
8 used & new from CDN$ 13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Que peut-on dire de plus?, Dec 19 2011
Année après année, il répond aux attentes. Nous avons tous ses recueils de caricature et c'est fascinant de les regarder, les uns après les autres; de revoir l'histoire des dernières années à travers son crayon. Sa vision du monde est devenue un incontournable de nos discussions du Temps des Fêtes. Je ne suis pas une fan de lui à la télévision (quoique j'en connais qui sont des inconditionnels de son émission hebdomadaire) mais ses caricatures sont exceptionnelles et ses recueils de déçoivent jamais.