Profile for Chad Spivak > Reviews

Content by Chad Spivak

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Chad Spivak (North Miami Beach, Florida)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Babies and Other Hazards of Sex: How to Make a Tiny Person in Only 9 Months, with Tools You Probably Have around the Home
by Dave Barry
Price: CDN$ 15.15
86 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The King Of Comedy Rules Again, Jan. 7 2001
My wife got me this as a gift, and my only complaint is that my youngest is now eight, and I could have used this a long time ago. Dave Barry hits the nail right on the head with this book.
In this book, Barry puts a very serious subject in a humorous tone, but he still speaks the truth. Yes, this book is intended as humor, but his reasoning and descriptions are pretty dead on true. I seriously could relate to a lot of the situations he described. This book was hysterical.
Jerry O'Brien's illustrations are hilarious, and, as always, the perfect compliment to Barry's book. For any new parents or expected parents, this book is definately for you. Not only will this book not pull any punches, and tell it like it is, but it is very enjoyable reading, and will help ease some of the axieties that you may already have. Yeah, it might add a few as well, but hey, at least you'll laugh so hard, you'll forget about labor pains.
Dave Barry is easily the king of comedy, and this short book even illustrates this even more. You won't be disappointed.

Four Blondes
Four Blondes
by Candace Bushnell
55 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Four Blondes With Attitude, Jan. 3 2001
This review is from: Four Blondes (Hardcover)
I can't say that I am a fan of Candace Bushnell, but I did enjoy Sex in the City, so I was intrigued enough to read this book. Seeing as how the first novel was so good, it was truly hard to follow, and unfortunately, this follow up wasn't all that great.
Four Blondes brings us the stories of four women. The only one that I truly found mildly interesting was the first one involving Janey Wilcox, a former model who is constantly looking for a man to support her and take her to the Hamptons for the summer. It was mildly humorous and she was, by far, the most interesting character of the four.
I can see how Bushnell was trying to continue with what worked for her in her other novel with the four main characters, but I honestly could have done without the other three. In fact the last woman doesn't even have a name, and her story was so short, I felt as if this section was just put in to make the quota of four.
As always, her language and writing style was very crisp and clear. The storylines were alright, considering the actual length of them. However, the character development could have used some work.
On the whole, the book is not as bad as some of the other reviews on here, and I am hoping that Winnie Deike would approve of my on-line review (see the story on blonde #2 to get that joke). Although it was a fairly entertaining read, Four Blondes did fall somewhat short of my expectations.

World's Strangest Hockey Stories
World's Strangest Hockey Stories
by Rockwell
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange But True, Jan. 1 2001
Ever wonder how the term "hat trick" came about? Ever hear about the Boston Bruins vs. Chicago Blackhawks game that was delayed an hour and a half because the luggage containing the Bruins' uniforms was accidentally sent to San Francisco? How about the time an NHL game was called off because there was too thick a fog INSIDE of the arena?
These are just a few of the wacky stories that you will read about in this short book. Any hockey fan will appreciate the short stories in this book. Even if you are not a hockey fan but have a sense of humor and a pulse, you will enjoy this book.
Bart Rockwell did a masterful job of compiling the off-the-wall stories for this book. The illustrations are well done and help make the flow of the book move along nicely.
For [the price], you can't beat this book. It's quite funny, and it does have some historical facts that are bound to increase your knowledge of the sport. Besides that, it's just loaded with weird hockey stories that will make you life of any party that Mario Lemieux attends.

Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex
Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex
by Dave Barry
50 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Up Or Getting Engaged?, Dec 31 2000
If you've made it to that chapter (Chapter 4) without laughing so hard you have beverages coming out of your nose, please check your pulse. You may already be dead.
Anyone who has ever read a Dave Barry article can appreciate his incredibly dry wit and hilarious sense of humor. Barry always seems to capture subjects that are serious, but manages to put a funny twist on them. Not only does he nail the concept of marriage AND/OR sex in this book, but the illustrations by Jerry O'Brien are the perfect compliment. The outrageous diagrams on "How to French Kiss" remind me of my life just last week, er, I mean high school.
This book is loaded with helpful tips for both men and women. For instance, Barry feels that the best bet for a new bride on how to get along with her mother-in-law is drugs. If only more people could read this book!
This book has something in it for everyone. If you are about to get married, the chapter entitled "How to Have a Perfect Wedding No Matter What" will definately come in handy. Of course, those of you already married, chapters "How to Argue Like a Veteran Married Couple" and "Children: Big Mistake or Bad Idea?" will, most definately, be of interest.
Barry's book is a fairly quick read, and would make a nice addition to anyone's book collection, if not for the mere fact that it is a great conversation piece. Any fan of Dave Barry will love it, and if you live on another planet, and have never heard of him, this is a great book to start with. You can't help but laugh!

Office Space
Office Space
VHS
7 used & new from CDN$ 0.75

5.0 out of 5 stars This Movie Didn't Leave Me With A Case Of The Mondays!, Dec 27 2000
This review is from: Office Space (VHS Tape)
Yeah, after you've seen this movie, you'll know what the title of my review means. This has to be one of the funniest movies ever made.
This film is for anyone who has ever hated his or her job, so, in all actuality, this movie is for everybody. The subtle humor can be appreciated by everyone, especially those of you who have ever worked in a cubicle.
The characters are all nicely developed, and the storyline, although seemingly simple, is perfect and well defined. Bill Lumberg has to be one of the funniest characters to come to the "silver screen" in a long time, and he isn't even the main character! Ron Livingston does an excellent job of playing the fed-up "paper pusher," Peter. His comments are so appropriately funny, and his candid facial expressions are fabulous.
This film will have you repeating the hilarious lines all around the office place, and you won't be able to keep yourself from laughing. This movie truly has something in it for everyone. It is a can't miss. Where else can you see Michael Bolton steal an idea from Superman? See this film to see what I mean!

Terrible Hours
Terrible Hours
by Peter Maas
66 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars One Compelling Book, Dec 27 2000
This review is from: Terrible Hours (Hardcover)
Wow! That was my first reaction to this book after just a few pages. This simply is one amazing story, and even more amazing considering the timeline of it.
Peter Maas recounts the remarkable story of the submarine, the USS Squalus, which sunk to the bottom of the North Atlantic in May of 1939. Charles "Swede" Momsen, a U.S. Navy officer, and a revolutionary scientist, was summoned to rescue these men from their watery grave.
Maas vividly depicts the tense moments involved in this heroic rescue. He uses a fast-paced language, peppered with an excellent combination of quotes and technological terms to create a very thrilling and riviting read. I almost felt as if I was part of the rescue operation myself.
Although this book kept me interested in its suspenseful voyage, the technical terms could have probably been described in a slightly more reader-friendly manner. I found myself a little confused at some times, but the overall flow of the book was still pretty smooth.
I enjoyed the epilogue quite a bit, as this small section is where the reader really gets to see the personal side of Momsen. This book was truly excellent. It was a pleasure to read. I could not put it down.

Life Of Reilly: Three Decades Under The Blimp
Life Of Reilly: Three Decades Under The Blimp
by Rick Reilly
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I Need More Swoosh, Dec 20 2000
Anyone who even read the first few pages of the book would know what I am talking about in my review title. For years, Rick Reilly has been making me laugh on the last page of Sports Illustrated. Now, with this book, I get to relive some of those hilarious moments.
Rick Reilly is one of the best in the business. His writing is funny, off-the-wall, witty, and always informative, even if his subject is not something you really want to be informed about. He has a knack for making light of any subject, and he has written about almost everything imaginable.
This book compiles his absolute best pieces, and they truly are masterful pieces of writing. He uses a very candid language that allows the reader just to take his article in, usually laughing the whole way through.
The Life of Reilly is a perfect book for anyone who is a fan of the columnist, or even for those of you who are sports' fans. This book will make you laugh out loud, as it truly is just pure non-stop enjoyment. This book really is a "can't miss." Besides, anyone chosing Charles Barkley to write the introduction to his book has to be doing something write, er, right!

Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon
Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon
by Craig Fass
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars At The "Diner," I'll Order A Side Of Kevin "Bacon", Dec 20 2000
Yeah, so my title is somewhat cheesy, but at least it connected with one of his movies. I'm sure that everyone has heard of the popular "Kevin Bacon Game" by now, so this book would be the perfect compliment to that game.
Unfortunately, if you are looking for anything more, you won't find it in this book. It is nothing more than a list of characters linked to Kevin Bacon. However, I must admit that I was impressed by the amount of effort and research that had to go into making this book. But, then I wonder why.
Setting that aside, I accept it for what it is worth. It is entertaining, and some of the photographs are quite good. I particularly enjoyed the filmography section at the beginning of the book, but other than that, this book is simply a novelty item. Take it from me, Chad Spivak, who attended a Miami Dolphins' football game with Dan Marino, who was in "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective" with Sean Young, who was in "Fatal Instinct" with Bob Uecker, who was in "Major League" with Charlie Sheen, who was in "Young Guns" with Kiefer Sutherland, who was in "Flatliners" with Kevin Bacon!

Something to Remember Me By
Something to Remember Me By
by Susan V. Bosak
Price: CDN$ 8.08
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Share This Book With Someone You Love, Dec 18 2000
I bought this book for my mother-in-law, because having three daughters, this was the perfect gift for her.
This book presents the story of a grandmother and granddaughter over the years. It is a wonderful story that celebrates the special connections and memories that span across generations.
This short book emphasizes the little things that truly matter most. The illustrations are truly incredible, and extremely realistic. This story is quite satisfying and will bring a tender joy to your heart. Susan Bosak uses a poignant, candid language that allows the nice story to shine through. It is just something that should be share with as many generations within your family as possible.
This book should be required reading for all families. It will inspire everyone to search for their own means of remembrance. Something To Remember Me By will easily be remembered.

BRITNEY:OOPS...I DID IT AGAIN!
BRITNEY:OOPS...I DID IT AGAIN!
by Triumph Entertainment
11 used & new from CDN$ 2.65

4.0 out of 5 stars My Kids Just Read It AGAIN!, Dec 18 2000
I bought this book for my youngest daughter's birthday. Yeah, okay that was good in theory, but in reality, all three of my daughters went nuts for this book.
I read the book with my youngest daughter when I first purchased the book, and I have to admit that the whole publication was put together quite nicely. Not only are there some amazingly good photographs, but the actual writing is pretty good as well.
My youngest daughter really enjoyed the "Fifty Fast Facts" and the Britney Spears' Quiz Challange. My older two appreciated the "Cyber Britney" section, as they are just venturing onto the internet. There were quite a few nice links to Britney Spears' related sites in this this section.
Overall, it was a fairly nice book loaded with tons of super pictures. It is definately something that would make a nice holiday gift for any Britney Spears' fan.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17