Profile for Peppermint > Reviews

Content by Peppermint

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Peppermint (Nevada, United States)

Basic Ballet: The Steps Defined
Basic Ballet: The Steps Defined
by Joyce Mackie
Price: CDN$ 10.11
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Reference Book, Aug. 7 2001
This very complete volume is a lovely gift book as well as a useful reference book. The only weakness is the lack of emphasis on arm positions when doing the steps although they are illustrated in the photographs. I believe dancers who have experienced the following will find it useful too: When I was a student of ballet, I was frustrated by the subtle differences in the standards of different teachers. Sometimes I wondered, "So how EXACTLY am I supposed to do this?" I did not enjoy being corrected for what a prior instructor had taught me and pronounced well-executed. This book would have clarified things for me at the time. Now that I practice alone, I find this book invaluable. Also, I support Christine's review dated May 4, 2001.

Flying Over Brooklyn
Flying Over Brooklyn
by Uhlberg Myron
Price: CDN$ 13.83
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect "Just One More Story" Before Bed, Aug. 1 2001
This review is from: Flying Over Brooklyn (Hardcover)
The other night, my three-year-old son couldn't sleep. I took out my daughter's copy of Flying Over Brooklyn and started to read. He was wide-eyed and smiling through the entire adventure and absolutely surprised when we reached the end, "That was a dream?" he asked. "Yes, go to sleep so you can have an adventure too," I replied. "Wow, I would if I could have dreams THAT good!" I am sure that when my children are older they will appreciate the dreamy glimpses of a world far removed from our own (Brooklyn) and the historic significance of a child's recollection of an unusual event, but for now, they simply enjoy sharing the boy's dream-come-true flight over a snow-covered city. Meanwhile, I appreciate the positive spin it gives to the words, "Bed-time!"

Old Jake's Skirts
Old Jake's Skirts
by Anne C. Scott
15 used & new from CDN$ 2.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Your Children Think, Aug. 1 2001
This review is from: Old Jake's Skirts (Hardcover)
First of all, the illustrations in this book are priceless! When I first read it to my children, I could barely turn a page without their comments and chuckles about an expression on a character or some other subtle detail they noticed. Secondly, as a home-educating mother, this book is a gold mine of themes: honesty, resourcefulness, spirituality, social skills, death, generosity, and most of all, positive attitude. My children, ages 3 and 5 are a bit young for all it has to offer but they still enjoy it immensely and request it frequently. I would recommend this to any child ages 7 and up. It is a beautiful volume that really makes your children think...and ask questions!

Mud Pies and Other Recipes: A Cookbook for Dolls
Mud Pies and Other Recipes: A Cookbook for Dolls
by Marjorie Winslow
19 used & new from CDN$ 2.94

5.0 out of 5 stars An Imagination Booster, July 21 2001
The day I recieved this book, I walked right into my daughter's room to read it to her. The fact that it is written with a very serious air made her laugh all the more. (I recommend a British accent.) I explained to her that this recipe book was very special because I always made very similar meals for my dolls as a child and had always felt they were my exclusive ideas. I could see her eyes glowing with the magic of it all and we planned a dolly picnic for the morning. When I went to wake her up the next day, I noticed several little bears sitting around teacups full of some indistinguishable slop. She said, "I took your advice and made them some special tea so they could sleep. I used water, crumpled paper and perfume. And Mama, they LOVED IT!" For parents who want to make their children's childhood as full of fantasy and dreams as possible, this book is a lovely imagination booster.

Harmony of the Four Gospels, A: The New International Version
Harmony of the Four Gospels, A: The New International Version
by Orville Daniel
Price: CDN$ 15.99
36 used & new from CDN$ 11.70

5.0 out of 5 stars A Practical Addition to Any Scholar's Library, July 20 2001
I used this book during our study of the book of Matthew. Since it is helpful to read the other gospels in order to maximize understanding, the format of this book was perfect. The gospels are printed side-by-side whenever they cover the same illustration so the scholar can make comparisons, achieve clarity, and notice key repetitions. One very useful aspect is that the book has a running story in which the scripture is highlighted, regardless of which gospel, so that the reader following the highlighted text can read the full story of the ministry of Jesus with the maximum amount of detail and with improved chronology.

Mad Dog Mcgraw
Mad Dog Mcgraw
by Putnam Gp
11 used & new from CDN$ 3.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Mad Dog McGraw, June 26 2000
This review is from: Mad Dog Mcgraw (Hardcover)
I agree with my children that this book is simply adorable! My four-year-old thinks the main character has some "great ideas" in dealing with his dilemma while my two-year-old wants his own mad dog! It is a very funny book and the goofy illustrations add to the humor. In addition, there is a very good lesson for the children (and me!) regarding relationships with others.