Profile for Judith E. Pavluvcik > Reviews

Content by Judith E. Pavl...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Judith E. Pavluvcik (Dreaming of the beach in Hawaii, but living in the reality of the desert in Arizona!!)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Angels Touch
Angels Touch
by Heather Pozzessere
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of Christmas Miracles, Nov. 29 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Angels Touch (Mass Market Paperback)
An Angel's Touch is touching tale of hope and Christmas miracles. Don and Cathy Angel are in devastating and fatal car crash on Christmas Eve. Meeting Archangel Gabriel, they are told that they must perform three miracles by midnight of this Christmas Eve in order to earn their wings. Don is skeptical and Cathy believes, as they are given their "list" of who they must help and what they can and cannot do back again on earth. Gabriel also explains to them about people having faith against all odds, especially during this solemn time of the year.
"Little Miracles. Christmas gifts. Making something work out for people who just keep trying and believing against all odds. That is a miracle, you see. When all facts and figures suggest that something just can't happen - but it does. When faith makes something happen."
The people Don and Cathy encounter and help are struggling with issues and situations that are not uncommon or difficult in our lives today. Pozzessere combines touches of humor along with sentimentality as her "angels" struggle to accomplish their mission before midnight.
"Life - on Earth - only lasts so long for any man, woman, and child. It's a gift, like any other. And quite fleeting at the very best, against the spectrum of time. But there is a quality to every man's life. Life is a gift to be used to the fullest, no matter how the days are measured. Perhaps life itself is the greatest gift, but sometime it takes a miracle to make people see that."
This book is easy to read and the touches of humor are quite enjoyable in the realm of performing Christmas miracles. The ending will surprise you as well as bring tears to your eyes. Christmas is a time of miracles, but it is also a time of love, as Pozzessere so eloquently shows us. This would be a great book for the entire family to read during the holiday season!

Courage Tree
Courage Tree
by Diane Chamberlain
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!, Oct. 27 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Courage Tree (Hardcover)
I am quickly becoming a Diane Chamberlain fan and her latest book is absolutely wonderful! I found that I could not put down the book and needed to finish it before anything else got done! Chamberlain weaves her story with such precision, that one thinks that they know the ending, but WHAM - a surprise is in store for the reader. The suspense skillfully draws the reader in and does not let go until the very end.
I am finding that "secrets" prevail in her books, and they are not revealed until the end, but the reader is kept in suspense until the very last possible moment! Chamberlain combines romance, mystery, thrills and issues of family all interwoven and cleverly revealing.
The main character, Janine, is incredibly strong, a maverick, who comes into her own despite her overbearing ex-husband and equally over-bearing and controlling parents. Janine meets Lucas, who shows her how to blossom and to become her own person, and to stop the "puppet" like behavior she has come to know. Lucas believes in her decision to start an alternative treatment for her daughter, against the wishes of both her ex-husband and her parents.

The story will appeal to both men and women, and the suspense of not knowing if Sophie, Janine's critically ill 8-year old daughter, will be found, will have the reader hanging onto every page!
The story was every endearing, courageous and filled with the miracle of love conquering all.
I highly recommend this book and am most anxious to read all of her previous books!

Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas
by James Patterson
Price: CDN$ 31.20
139 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Love Story, Oct. 27 2001
James Patterson is by far one of the greatest writers of the thriller genre. But he outshines himself in his incredible love story, Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. I cried and then I cried some more. This book is based on fact from Patterson's own life and the story is so incredibly beautifully written. His action seeking fans, mostly men, will not find the Alex Cross kill 'em action here. Instead one will find tenderness and softness beyond words. It has to be one of the best love stories that I have ever read and I am a die hard Alex Cross fan as well.
I finished this book in one day and wanted more. I wanted to know the sequel. I did not want it to end. I was totally amazed at the depth of love that Matt and Suzanne lived and breathed. I think we all want to find that depth of romance and happiness.
Patterson shows us a love so profound, and hope as well, that that kind of love will enter into our own lives. "It's about how good it can be if you find the right person. It's about treasuring every moment with that special one. Every single millisecond."
I love this book - I cannot say enough good things about it and everyone that I have recommended it to have loved it as well. Five stars does not do it justice at all.
It is definitely a story to treasure, a keeper for the favorite shelf, and a reminder that true love does exist.
If you read one romance book this year - make it this one - you will not be disappointed, but make sure you have a box of Kleenex handy!

Firefly Beach
Firefly Beach
by Luanne Rice
Price: CDN$ 8.54
83 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great love story!, Oct. 27 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Firefly Beach (Mass Market Paperback)
Firefly Beach by Luanne Rice is one of her best books yet. I have read all but three of her books, and with each new book I read, I come to endear Rice as one of my favorite authors. Her books are incredibly sensitive, the characters are so real and believable, and she writes from her heart. Her writings seem to center on family issues that one can relate to at one time or another. Rice lets us know that love can heal, prevail and make things right.
Caroline Renwick knows the secret of Joe Connor's father's untimely death when he was only six. Yet Caroline befriends him at a young age and their relationship grows deeper through their letters to each other. That is, until Joe discovers the truth of his father's death, and at seventeen and blames Caroline for not telling him the truth, and cuts her out of his life.
Years later, Joe comes back into Caroline's life, back to Firefly beach to see for himself where the death occurred, and to find some more answers. Now a grown woman, Caroline, remains the main support for her mother and two sisters, as they all must confront those demons and deal with them, as well as the arrival of Joe Connor.
With grace and style, Luanne Rice portrays a dysfunctional family whose yearnings to heal are marred by more challenges and confrontations. With Joe's help, Caroline is able to listen to her heart and to her longings and in the process helps her own family to find the strength to heal and to love again.
This was another could not put down book, and Ms. Rice writes with the same sensitivity that I have come to admire in her previous books. A very endearing love story - I highly recommend it!

Along Came a Spider
Along Came a Spider
by James Patterson
Price: CDN$ 8.55
215 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Engrossing, Sept. 22 2001
Along Came a Spider is the first installment in the detective Alex Cross series by Patterson. I did not read these books in order, but that has not detracted from the flow of any of the books. Since I have read the other books first, and the first book last, Detective Alex Cross has changed somewhat into a mellower, more likeable character. I did not see the movie, but had envisioned Denzel Washington to play the smooth and sophiscated Alex Cross and was disappointed in the choice of Morgan Freeman. But after reading this book, Morgan Freeman fits Alex Cross in this book perfectly - for this book only!!!
I love Patterson's books and have read just about all of them. I find them to be engrossing, suspenseful and I just can't put them down. He foils me with the ending each and every time!!
In this book, Patterson has a serial killer at large, Gary Soneji, who has kidnapped two children, and who wants to be known as somebody. Jezzie Flannagan from the FBI, is also on the case, giving Cross support to capture the killer. Three great strong main characters, exposed to the reader so as to get into their psyche, yet intertwined with each other to make for one incredible story.
The ending is a blow out, which is what I love about Patterson - hanging on to the edge of your seat with each and every page, and giving you the shocker at the end. I love it! His books are definite thrillers and shockers!

Summer's Child
Summer's Child
by Diane Chamberlain
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and touching, Sept. 22 2001
Summer's Child is the first novel I have read by Diane Chamberlain, and it certainly won't be the last! I found myself swept immediately into the story; and was kept guessing and wondering how all the pieces were going to fit together. Chamberlain has numerous plots going on within this tale, but the reader will not become confused, only anxious to fit all the puzzle pieces together, if they can! Chamberlain does a wonderful job of holding the reader in suspense and introducing the reader to multiple surprises not only at the end, but also during the course of the story.
Eleven-year-old Daria finds a baby on the beach on the morning of her birthday. Her family comes to adopt the baby, who they name Shelly, after no one claims the newborn. After the death of Daria's parents, Daria continues the role of caretaker for her sister, even at the expense of her own happiness. Suffering some brain damage after her birth, Daria is understandably very protective of Shelly.
Chamberlain leads the reader through the numerous families summering on the Outer Banks, and leaves you guessing as to who is Shelly's real mother. Nearly twenty years later, Shelly enlists the aid of one of the former residents, Rory Taylor, now a TV producer, to help her find her past. Rory starts asking too many questions, which has several of the residents becoming angry and asking him to leave well enough alone. Afterall, Shelly was raised in a loving and caring home.
The web of secrets leaves no one unscathed, as you will find out, yet Chamberlain masterfully weaves this intricate tale, blending everything into a cohesive, heartfelt, and warming tale. The ending will definitely surprise the reader! I highly recommend this book.
I am very much looking forward to reading her other books.

The Tenth Good Thing About Barney (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition)
The Tenth Good Thing About Barney (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition)
6 used & new from CDN$ 13.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and Comforting, Sept. 17 2001
This book is absolutely, without a doubt, a great book for younger children to cope with the loss of a pet. This book, however, would not be appropriate for the loss of a human life. The author lets the reader know that it is OK to feel sad, to not want to watch TV, or to eat or to go outside and play. But most important of all, that it is OK to cry and feel sad.
The mother and father hold a backyard funeral for Barney, the beloved deceased cat, and the little boy comes up with nine good things to say about Barney. Afterwards, when they plant flowers, he can come up with the tenth good thing about Barney.
Older children will find this too ´¿babyish´¿, I believe, but this book was perfect for my younger children when our beloved dog, Snowball died. Our vet gave us this book, along with the Rainbow Bridge poem. It was very comforting.
The book conveys that we have to honor the grieving and the questions of children as they mourn their beloved pet, whether it is a fish, a dog, a cow, a horse, or whatever pet is important to them. The value of a ´¿ceremony´¿ is just as important for closure.
I highly recommend this tender book.

Healing with the Fairies Oracle Cards: Booklet and 44-Card Deck
Healing with the Fairies Oracle Cards: Booklet and 44-Card Deck
by Doreen Virtue
Edition: Cards
Price: CDN$ 11.64
39 used & new from CDN$ 8.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical!, Sept. 15 2001
I just purchased these amazing and beautiful cards. The first reading I did was for my younger son and he was amazed at the message imparted to him. I asked him if what I just told him made sense to him (he is almost 10), and with a huge smile on his face, he said, "Yes"!
The artwork is actually done by at least a half dozen artists, and their impressions of the fairy realm are wonderfully detailed, accurate and mesmerizing. One can just stare and stare and come away filled with serenity and deep rooted peace.
I have Doreen's angel cards, and love those, but the fairies draw out the child in us and remind us to commune more with nature and with them. For those of us who have always believed in the fairy realm, Doreen brings it out in the open and affirms for us their existence and credibility. I just finished her book, Healing With The Fairies and was once again, swept away. Powerful and amazing!
Let the magic and beauty of these cards and the fairies help heal those issues in your life, which are troubling you. You will marvel and the messages imparted and your heart will be opened in wondrous ways. Thanks Doreen for providing us with yet another tool for healing and happiness.

Summer Light
Summer Light
by Luanne Rice
Price: CDN$ 29.95
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Heatwarming and Tender Tale, Sept. 15 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Summer Light (Hardcover)
Summer Light by Luanne Rice is a wonderfully heartwarming and touching story. This is definitely Rice at her best! It is romantic and sentimental, without being overbearing, with a touch of the mystical thrown in!
May Taylor is a single mother with a "gifted" daughter, who claims to speak with angels. While flying home to Connecticut, Kylie is warned of the impending aircraft danger by one of her angel friends, and seeks the aid of Martin Cartier to help her and her mother to safety. Not knowing why, Kylie knows that this man will somehow play a role in their lives. Cartier, a tough, kind, and greatly sought after bachelor, is a hockey player with the Boston Bruins. He pursues May until she agrees to marry him.
Rice once again weaves magic with her characters and one cannot help but fall right into their lives and into their emotions. Balancing issues of death, single parenthood, dual careers, scandal, parental issues, as well as hailing from two different countries, Rice brings home to her readers that any relationship requires commitment, work, dedication, honesty, and most of all love. I was endeared to this quote from the book, "That's what a married couple does . . .love each other through sickness and health, for richer, for poorer, in good times and bad. They love each other's children and try to honor each other's parents - even when the whole thing seems impossible."
Their marriage is tested, challenged and tested again and Rice's portrayal of a family ripped apart by the trials of life and past events is uncannily real. I could not put this latest bestseller down and was completely swept away and into the saga. I absolutely loved this book and Rice confirms once again, that only love is real. This is one book that will touch your heart and warm your soul - a definite keeper.

Absence Of Nectar
Absence Of Nectar
by Kathy Hepinstall
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting and Suspensful - Great Thriller, Sept. 15 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Absence Of Nectar (Hardcover)
The Absence of Nectar is my first book by Kathy Hepinstall and I must say that I was hooked from the very first chapter. This was a "could not" put down book and the author leads you through a maze, twisting and turning with each new occurring development. The suspense carries you from chapter to chapter, and does not let you go until the very end.
Hepinstall's characters are strong and you find yourself cheering for 11-year old Alice, with her boldness, her quick wit, and her intelligence. Her older brother Boone is forced to grow up rather quickly and one wonders if he is up to the challenge. His character development gradually builds and the reader is left questioning on where his loyalties lie. But Hepinstall's artistry cleverly weaves a web, leaving the reader to wonder how and why, and only at the end does one see all the pieces come so smoothly together.
The title is misleading, but after having finished the book, the title is perfect for the story! Not only will the reader find suspense, and mystery, but also the realities of life that stay hidden away in most families. Abuse in various forms, depression, lies, deceit, as well as portraits of a dysfunctional family. Set in the late 60's, the author did a great job pulling all of these issues together in painting a portrait of a family in crisis, struggling, coping, and surviving. The weaknesses and vulnerabilities of the children's mother, Meg, overshadow her rationality; yet, it is realistic. We all have absences of nectar in our lives, but we are the only ones who can replace what is lost; as substitutes only last so long.
The ending is electrifying and riveting! Again, please don't be mislead by the title, as in doing so, one will miss an incredible thriller. I highly recommend this book and I guarantee that one will not be disappointed.
I now need to read her previous book!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18