march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for BookChick > Reviews

Content by BookChick
Top Reviewer Ranking: 294

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

BookChick (Simcoe, ON Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
iPhone 6 Screen Protector, FRiEQ® iPhone 6 (4.7 inch ONLY) High Definition Full Screen Tempered Glass Protector - Save your valuable phone today

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Product for a Great Price!, Jan. 2 2015
*I received this from the company in exchange for my honest opinion*

When I purchase a product as pricey as an iPhone I will go to some lengths to protect my investment. Although I always make sure to have my phone in a shock-resistant case (such as an Otterbox) I love the idea of protecting my screen- not only from fingerprints and dirt but from breakage and deep scratches.

The kit includes everything that you will need to apply the Tempered Glass screen. It includes a microfiber cloth and an alcohol swab along with two dust stickers. The instructions are easy to follow and I had no issues applying the screen. I have found that I have had no issues with screen sensitivity since applying the screen (about a week ago) and I love the added peace of mind that having this protector on has given me. I like knowing that I have to worry less about keeping my phone in pristine condition. A great product for a great price.

The FRiEQ® 2-in-1 Universal Stylus and Ballpoint Pen for iPad, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and Other Touch Screen Devices
Offered by T.M. Enterprise
Price: CDN$ 29.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ... I have reviewed in the past I was immediately pleased with the quality of this product, Jan. 2 2015
*I received this from the company in exchange for my honest review*

As with the other FRiEQ products that I have reviewed in the past I was immediately pleased with the quality of this product. It is weighty and feels good in your hands, the microfibre tip is amazing (feels high quality and will not scratch your screen), and I love the added benefit of having a built-in pen. Since I have received this product there have been several times when I have been on my tablet but needed a pen for something. Very handy, and it doesn't clutter up your purse or pockets. I also appreciated the construction. Even though the product pulls apart to reveal the pen I don't find that the pen portion rattles or moves around when you are using the stylus feature.

This product works great on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8', but I can imagine that the size of the tip would make it less useful on a smaller screen (such as a cell phone). It worked fine with my HTC phone, but it was slightly clumsy and better suited to a larger screen. I had no issues using it with my tablet and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Gone Girl: A Novel
Gone Girl: A Novel
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Edgy and Sharp, Jan. 2 2015
I can admit right off the hop that Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn is not the kind of book that I usually read. I'm more of a women's fiction kind of gal. I love books about women and their families and their marriages and their jobs and about how they take control of their own destiny, but so many people were reading and raving about Gone Girl that I figured that I had to give it a try. If it didn't work for me I could just put it down, right?

The only problem that I had with Gone Girl was that once I picked it up it was impossible for me to put it down. The story sucked me in right from the beginning, even though it was the opposite from what I normally read in so many ways! Gone Girl tells the story of a marriage gone horribly awry. It is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Nick wakes up in the morning to find Amy cooking pancakes in the kitchen. Even though there is something off about Nick and Amy's interaction that morning, Nick heads off to work at the bar that he owns with his sister Go. When a nosy neighbor calls Nick to let him know that their front door is wide open Nick returns home to discover that his wife is missing.

Unfortunately for Nick, the husband is always the primary suspect when a wife disappears. Since the alibi that Nick has is flimsy at best, the police focus their investigation on Nick and his possible involvement in the disappearance of his wife. As the suspicion surrounding Nick reaches a fever pitch we get to know Amy, a high-strung Type A personality and the inspiration for the Amazing Amy children's books, through her journal entries.

As we gather additional information about what happened that day we find that there may be more to the story than the evidence is leading everyone to believe. But one big question remains: where is Amy Dunne?

I found it interesting that I didn't really like any of the characters in Gone Girl. As the story unravels, bit by bit, I find that there are many things about both of our main characters that made them distinctly unlikable. If I look back on my previous reviews I find that I generally enjoy a story more if the main character is likable. If I relate to him or her in some way I finish the book feeling that I have spent time with a good friend. If I don't find any of the characters particularly likable I have a hard time liking the book as a whole. I can appreciate the book, but that's different. Gone Girl taught me that I can dislike characters but still enjoy a book. I was engrossed while reading this, turning pages frantically trying to find out what happened next, but I did not like our main characters. At all. It was a kind of revelation for me.

The writing is spot-on in Gone Girl. It is sharp and witty and edgy. That's part of what drew me into these pages so quickly. Gillian Flynn floored me when she revealed the twist in the plot. My mouth literally hung open. It was brilliant! It was so much more interesting for me not knowing ahead of time what the twist was, so I won't ruin it for anyone reading this who has not yet read the book but wants to.

Gone Girl is one of those books that you won't quickly forget. Sometimes I read a book and two weeks later I can't really remember that much about the plot. This isn't one of those books. Reading Gone Girl reminded me that sometimes it's important for me to read books that fall outside of my usual comfort zone because I never know what I may discover!

Miracle at the Museum of Broken Hearts: A  Christmas Story
Miracle at the Museum of Broken Hearts: A Christmas Story
Price: CDN$ 1.30

4.0 out of 5 stars A short and sweet read!, Jan. 2 2015
A long-time fan of Talli Roland I was pleased when I realized that there was a novella of hers that I had not yet read, and I dove in to reading it right away. This novella has a very cute plot- hopeless romantic Rose is bored of sorting items in the dusty basement of the British museum. When she comes across an advertisement for an assistant curator for a "museum of broken hearts" she is eager for a new challenge and applies right away. Her boss turns out to be a man on temporary leave from his job who is busy fulfilling his grandmother's desire to have her home turned into a museum of all of the things that she collected from the broken-hearted. It's a quirky idea and I like it.

This is short and sweet holiday novella (with not too much holiday thrown in there if that's not your usual thing). It won't take you long to read if you're looking for something that you can read in one sitting and even though the character of Rose is a wee bit annoying in the beginning due to her thoughts about men and romance, she seems to get it by the end and that completely redeemed her in my eyes. Miracle at the Museum of Broken Hearts is unapologetic chick-lit at its finest!

The Work Boyfriend
The Work Boyfriend
Price: CDN$ 3.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Chick-Lit With an Edge, Jan. 2 2015
Kelly seems to be on the path towards adulthood. She has the perfect boyfriend, a stable job, and she actually owns property for goodness sake! She has a solid relationship with her mom and her sister, she knows how to decorate, and she's even planning to host a dinner party over the upcoming holidays. The catch? Kelly doesn't want to be on the path to adulthood. While her life looks perfect from the outside it seems to be spiraling out of control on the inside. Kelly does not want, and never has wanted, to be married or to have children. That's just not who she is. When boyfriend Rob lets her know that after ten years of dating he would like to make their commitment official Kelly balks at what this means for life as she knows it. Complicating matters is her "work boyfriend" Garrett, whom she fantasizes about in her off-work hours and who understands her lack of desire to follow tradition. When things come to a head over the holidays, Kelly finds herself taking stock of her life and where it's leading to determine if she even wants things to continue on as they have been.

The Work Boyfriend is an admirable debut from author Deanna McFadden. I immediately found myself liking the main character, Kelly, despite the fact that she is anti- marriage and -children, while those are two things that I found myself easily falling into. The fact that I was able to relate to a character who I had little in common with so easily is a testament to the author's character-building skills. Kelly is a mess, and even she knows it. While everyone around her seems to be growing up and moving forward with their lives she finds herself clinging to the past and to the current status of things. Kelly's history likely contributes to her desire not to be married- her dad left her mom when Kelly was very young and her mom spent most of her childhood bouncing from man to man, or living on next-to-nothing. Kelly does not want to deal with her issues and instead resents change or personal growth.

Despite the fact that she managed to provide Kelly with a not-so-stable childhood, I really respected the character of Kelly's mom. She knows that she didn't provide the stability that her daughters needed as children and since she has found a husband who is stable and loving, she tries to make it up to the girls in adulthood by providing them with a warm and loving household to visit. At one point in the book she offers Kelly advice and her wisdom is spot-on; you can tell that she definitely has her daughter's best interests at heart, just like a good mom should. I also liked the character of Annie- Kelly's step-dad's ex-wife- a colourful character with lots of heart whom I would have liked to have seen more of.

What I appreciated the most about The Work Boyfriend was the ending. It was everything that a good ending should be. It was not necessarily what I would have expected but it was perfect for the story- a fitting conclusion for a very enjoyable book. The emphasis was not on everyone getting the perfect fairy tale ending, but on everyone getting the perfect ending for them, whatever that may be.

I would like to read more by McFadden in the future. Her book could be classified as chick-lit with an edge, which is my favourite kind to read, her female characters were strong and realistic, and I found myself enjoying the distinctly Canadian setting and the references to places that are familiar to me.

Marriage to Measure (Serenity Holland Book 3)
Marriage to Measure (Serenity Holland Book 3)
Price: CDN$ 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Light-hearted and fun!, Dec 31 2014
When Serenity Holland proposes to long-time boyfriend Jeremy she's envisioning a small, intimate ceremony that reflects their taste. What she's not expecting is a demanding mother-in-law and an out-of-control, over-the-top ceremony that is nothing at all like they had in mind. That's what she gets, though. From the mother-in-law determined to micromanage every detail, to the fact that Serenity has two hideous dresses to wear on the big day, to the cringe-worthy antique engagement ring, this wedding is nothing at all like Serenity and Jeremy wanted but Serenity has no clue how to fix things without hurting feelings and straining relations.

Add to that a house renovation that is not going according to plan and Jeremy's ex-girlfriend reemerging on the scene and Serenity suddenly wonders if "forever" is the right fit for them after all. Can Serenity fix things before the big day or will their marriage be over before it even begins?

A long-time fan of Talli Roland, I can't wait to read her latest releases as soon as they come out! Build a Man, the first book in the Serenity Holland series, is still my favourite book of Talli's to date, so I was quite excited to read Marriage to Measure, the third book in the series (Construct a Couple is the second book). Serenity Holland is back in all of her flawed glory. I love that throughout the series she has remained true to herself. She reminds me of Becky Bloomwood from the Shopaholic series but without the serious spending problem. What I liked about Serenity in this book is that one of the reasons that she allows her wedding plans to detour so far from where she wanted them is because she is trying not to hurt her future mother-in-law's feelings as well as those of one of her best friends. Serenity remains thoughtful towards others despite the chaos of the situations!

I definitely wish that the book was a little longer, though. I devoured it in one day because I enjoyed it so much and I am definitely hoping that there will be a fourth in the series! I just have not had enough of Serenity's story yet!

Upbeat and fun, Marriage to Measure is a must-read for any fan of light-hearted, well-written chick lit. For less than $5 total you can treat yourself to the entire Serenity Holland series and I absolutely recommend that you do! They are equally perfect for curling up with on a snowy afternoon or for taking along to the beach and Talli's writing just keeps getting better and better. My thanks to the author for providing me with a review copy of this book!

Milked: A Modern Mommy Tale with a Retro Twist
Milked: A Modern Mommy Tale with a Retro Twist
Price: CDN$ 4.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Realistic Mommy Lit!, Dec 29 2014
For the most part Amanda Keene has done her best to make solid, responsible decisions, even if they aren't the most exciting ones. That is, until the night of her thirtieth birthday when she meets a sexy Irish musician and embarks on a whirlwind romance. She and Eamonn spend three wonderful months together and when his visa expires and he needs to return to Ireland Amanda is confident that their relationship is far from over. However when Amanda finds herself pregnant she also finds herself suddenly single and unable to locate the fickle love of her life. She also, through a series of unfortunate events, finds herself unemployed and faced with a large bill for the portion of her C-Section that her insurance won't cover.

Unsure what to do next in order to keep a roof over her and her daughter's heads, Amanda is initially appalled when her best friend, OB-GYN Joy, tells her about an opening in the lucrative career of wet-nursing. When she takes the time to consider her options and learns that she has very few, Amanda finds herself nursing a set of twins for a wealthy Chicago family. As her new- found career alternates between taking off and crashing completely Amanda must deal with the realities of trying to keep her daughter happy and looked after with no support from her daughter's father while re-emerging onto the dating scene herself and dealing with the stigma associated with the job that she's doing. Will she be able to keep balancing all of the demands of single motherhood or is it only a period of time before she crashes and burns?

I'll admit my reluctance to reading this story initially, simply because the premise- wet-nursing- seemed so bizarre! It's not something that I generally gravitate towards reading about but I admired the uniqueness of this plot and I decided to give Milked a try. I am definitely glad that I did! The things that initially made me wary were what drew me in to this interesting and fast-paced story. Author Lisa Doyle is well aware that wet-nursing is controversial and she uses that as a talking point within the book. She never tries to gloss over the fact that it is something that is not usually the "done thing" but she does make the topic somewhat more acceptable by addressing it head-on. She also adds a fun element to the story by having it take place in the homes of some (fictional) rich and famous people, giving us a fun peek into bizarre celebrity lifestyle.

I loved the fact that things were never once easy for Amanda. Lisa Doyle makes sure that the book is realistic and that not everything falls into place easily. That is definitely one of my pet peeves and I'm so glad that Amanda had to struggle at times. It made her easier to relate to, and it made the story more enjoyable as a whole. I was rooting for Amanda to keep at it when times were tough and I was happy whenever she triumphed, even in a small way.

Milked was a surprisingly enjoyable fast-paced and fun book. I enjoyed reading it far more than I initially thought that I would. The story flowed, felt real, and was very well-written. This is Lisa Doyle's debut book and I am looking forward to reading what she writes in the future!

Shopaholic on Honeymoon (Short Story)
Shopaholic on Honeymoon (Short Story)
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Read!, Dec 26 2014
This was exactly as promised- a short read that filled in a little bit of that gap while Becky and Luke were on their honeymoon! I'm glad that the author decided to gift it to her readers (it was quite short and I may have been disappointed if I had purchased it for that reason) but it was very cute and a fun read! Becky was portrayed exactly as she is in the Shopaholic novels, and I love the role that sweet Luke played. A fun read for any Shopaholic fan!

Kyasi Gladiator Glass designed for -iPhone 5, 5C, 5S including 1 Tempered Glass Protector HD Clear
Offered by Kyasi Canada
Price: CDN$ 46.97
2 used & new from CDN$ 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Added protection for a good price!, Dec 26 2014
*I received this from Kyasi in exchange for my honest review*

I opened this product, designed for the iPhone 5, 5c, or 5 s, and was impressed by the length that Kyasi went to to protect the tempered glass screen. It is well packaged, ensuring that it will ship well. I was most impressed by the ease of use. Everything that you need to use to apply the screen to your phone is included. I recommend taking the time to apply the screen correctly, ensuring that any debris on your phone screen is properly cleaned off before applying the tempered glass screen. Mine applied easily, the cutouts were in the correct places and they lined up nicely. It's hard to tell that the screen is even on once you have it on, which is what I like. I am especially impressed by the functionality of the screen even with the additional screen on. It is just as responsive with the screen on, plus now I have that additional protection. It's the best of both worlds!

Kyasi Seattle Classic Universal Folio Case for 7 and 8-Inch Tablets, Onyx Black
Kyasi Seattle Classic Universal Folio Case for 7 and 8-Inch Tablets, Onyx Black
Offered by Kyasi Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Case for a Great Price!, Dec 26 2014
*I received this from Kyasi in exchange for my honest review.* When I received it my first thought was that the product feels like it is a great quality product. The material used feels great in my hands, and it feels like a quality product. I was even more impressed when I put my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" in it. With any case that calls itself "universal" I worry that he product will feel far from universal. In the past I have ordered cases that claim to be "universal" but instead they don't fit my tablet, and they feel clunky. As a result I don't use the case. One case I ordered fit my tablet so poorly that it literally slipped out whenever I picked it up!

This is not the case with the Kyasi tablet. The corner clips expand (they are mounted on elastic) for a perfect fit for a 7" or 8" tablet. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" fits snugly and I don't have to worry about it slipping out. The case performs exactly as promised, and it is easy to watch videos on the tablet now that it props up so nicely! I am comfortable transporting my tablet in the case. After seeing how great this tablet case works I promptly ordered two more (at my own expense) for my young sons' RCA 7" tablets. Their tablet fits perfectly in there as well!

If you are looking for a great case at a great price I can recommend this Kyasi case. Well worth the price!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20