Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden
Profile for BookChick > Reviews

Content by BookChick
Top Reviewer Ranking: 188

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

BookChick (Simcoe, ON Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
FRiEQ® 4-Feet Gold Plated 3.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Car and Home Stereo Cloth Jacketed Tangle-Free Auxiliary Stereo Audio Cable Extension Fits Over Tablet & Smart Phone Cases For iPad, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Android, MP3 (Light Blue/Yellow)
Offered by T.M. Enterprise
Price: CDN$ 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A High-Quality Cable, Nov. 23 2014
I was sent this product in exchange for my honest review and I was impressed by the quality, right out of the box! I often use my phone for music at the gym while I'm running but I find that my headphone cord is quite short, and that's annoying! I used this extension to connect my phone to my Sony Headphones and there was absolutely no interference between the two. Fabulous! I have an Otterbox case on my phone and the FRiEQ cable makes sure that the length of the connector accounts for extra casing on the phone. The entire cable is covered in a nylon material designed to increase durability and the connectors appear to be high quality and made to last. An excellent product that I would have been happy to pay for!

Bolse® [Apple MFi Certified] 3-Port (25W / 5A) High Output USB Car Chargers, Build-in 2-in-1 Lightning & Micro USB Cable With SmartIC Technology Charging Station for iPhone 6, 5; Samsung Galaxy; iPad Air; Motorola and HTC; Tablet; GPS (Black)
Offered by T.M. Enterprise
Price: CDN$ 45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Offers effortless charging!, Nov. 23 2014
I was sent this product by the company in exchange for my honest review and I can say that I was far more impressed than I was expecting! My first thought when taking the product out of the packaging was how well it was constructed. The product feels like it is a quality product, even before you try it out! The best part of the charger, though, is the ability for it to charge multiple devices at one time! My husband and I use our car to commute and it's nice that we don't have to argue about who gets to charge their device first! I can charge my iPhone 5, my husband's HTC One, and my tablet all at once without losing charging power in any device. The way that it is designed ensures that all of the cords fit comfortably into the charger without them crowding one another. I would definitely recommend this device to anyone looking for effortless charging on the go. It is everything that it presents itself to be and more!

The Woman Who Stole My Life
The Woman Who Stole My Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Marian Keyes!, Nov. 23 2014
Stella Sweeney, mom of two trying to get her life back, has always believed in the power of karma. One day she tries to do a good deed and the car crash that happens as a result has the power to change her life. She meets a man that day who turns up in her life later on when she least expects it and who has the ability to change her from ordinary Stella into the Stella of her dreams.

Life as Stella is just not that easy, though. She has a child who hates her (and pretty much everyone else), an ex-husband determined to become famous at any cost, and a best friend who isn't what she seems. Will Stella come to curse the car crash that changed her life or will she learn to embrace all of the weird and wonderful things that have happened to her as a result?

I would read anything that Marian Keyes has written, including a grocery list, but the plot of The Woman Who Stole My Life is in turns brilliant and moving, making it a pleasure to read. This book certainly appears to be more autobiographical than most of her novels. I follow her on several social networks and as a result I have an idea of the kind of things that Keyes has been struggling with over the last few years, and I saw some of those things evident within the pages of this novel. The parallels were interesting, and I feel that they gave us a glimpse into the woman behind the books. That made this book interesting in a different way from her previous releases.

Keyes also moves the plot of this book throughout several different time periods of Stella's life.We see her pre-accident as well as post-accident, and somehow the movement through time periods is effortless and I never found myself confused as to which time period we were currently in. I appreciated this technique as it gave us, as readers, insight into the role that this one accident managed to play in Stella's life and how one moment can have the power to change everything.

While in many ways The Woman Who Stole My Life is different from Keyes' previous releases, in other ways the author's voice remains the same, making this an enjoyable read for both new fans as well as die hard ones. The characters were well thought-out and unique (although exasperating at times!), the plot easy to follow and enjoyable, and within the pages Stella's emotions were evident. It was an excellent read and I'm glad that one of my favourite authors is back writing fiction again. My thanks to Penguin UK and Netgalley for providing me with a review copy!

Married by Midnight: A Christmas Story
Married by Midnight: A Christmas Story
Price: CDN$ 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It put me in the mood for the holidays!, Nov. 9 2014
I always enjoy Talli Roland's holiday novellas. They are sweet and fun and romantic and Married by Midnight was no exception! The character of Kate is easy to like, even though she starts out by being a pushover. Kate's mother and sister are great supporting characters and the story itself was well-written. I loved it, and my only wish is that it wouldn't have ended! I always wish that Talli's novellas are full-length novels because I don't want them to end!

Charlie Glass's Slippers: A Very Modern Fairy Tale
Charlie Glass's Slippers: A Very Modern Fairy Tale
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Take on a Classic, Nov. 7 2014
When Charlie Glass' father dies after a long illness, society is expecting that his shoe empire will be taken over by his two glamorous daughters and his ex-wife, who have been running the show for quite some time already. What they are not expecting is that Elroy Glass will shock everyone and leave his empire to his third daughter, the plump and motherless Charlie (short for Charlotte) who has a huge heart but no fashion sense.

Charlie finds herself thrust into an unfamiliar life that is uncomfortable for her like a shoe that doesn't fit, but she does her best to fit in. She decides to attend a weight loss boot camp so that she fits the image expected of someone running the Glass shoe empire, and returns home with a new look and a new attitude. Suddenly Charlie is fashion forward and glamorous and she has the Prince Charming by her side to boot. But will this be enough for Charlie or will she find out that the glass slipper doesn't fit right after all?

Charlie Glass's Slippers is a charming take on a fairy tale classic. We have the plump and often overlooked Charlie who transforms virtually overnight while her evil stepmother and stepsisters look on in horror. We have a Prince Charming rushing in to claim the hand of the princess and we have the potential for a happy ending. What happens to Charlie in the beginning is what every overweight girl has ever dreamed of. Take off for boot camp and return transformed. Suddenly everyone who has put you down in your life because of your weight will be desperate to befriend you! What I love is that author Holly McQueen didn't stop the story there. Instead our heroine Charlie soon finds that the life of glitz and glamour is not exactly what she pictured it to be. Although she does well in her new role, she begins to realize that being thin is not the key to her happiness.

Charlie Glass's Slippers is a fun and modern take on a classic fairy tale that most girls have dreamed of at some point in their lives. Our heroine Charlie is easy to love and relate to. The story is funny and often romantic and it conveys the message that it really isn't the outside that counts, but it is the fantastic things that we find within ourselves that really matter.

Scared Scriptless: A Novel
Scared Scriptless: A Novel
Offered by Hachette Book Group Digital, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun beach read!, July 19 2014
Maddy Carson loves lists and details and these aspects of her personality are what make her a fantastic script supervisor on the set of a successful TV drama. A small-town girl at heart she has very specific rules about Hollywood, one of those being that she will absolutely not date actors! She will, however, take a chance on love and date one of the executives at her company. When Maddy discovers that her beloved hometown of Wolf County is in financial trouble and her parents may have to sell their ski resort and move because of the economy, she concocts an idea for a reality show that could solve all of their problems. However she makes the mistake of involving boyfriend Craig in the project and when he turns out not to be the stand-up guy that Maddy thought, can she still manage to pull off selling her show?

Confusing matters is the fact that Maddy seems to be falling for Adam Devin, one of the new actors on the drama that she works on, despite her rule about not dating actors. As Maddy works her day job, tries to save her hometown from inevitable financial ruin, and tries to resist Adam's advances, she learns that sometimes she has to let go in order to grow as a person.

I haven't read Alison Sweeney's debut novel yet, and I didn't even realize that some of the characters in it reappeared in Scared Scriptless until after I was done reading! It definitely reads as a stand-alone novel, which is great for those who only have the opportunity to read one or the other. Reading it was an enjoyable experience. The writing was surprisingly good. Somehow Alison Sweeney has managed to become a triple threat- she can act, she can host The Biggest Loser, and she can write! Had I not known that she was the person writing it, I would not have not have guessed. There have been times that I have read books written by a celebrity and been unimpressed with the writing but this was not the case with Scared Scriptless! The plot was interesting and this book offered a fascinating look into what happens behind-the-scenes of a TV drama! I'm absolutely positive that Alison's extensive television experience lent a lot of authenticity to Maddy's experiences.

There were a few little things that bothered me about Scared Scriptless. My primary complaint was with Maddy, the main character. I liked her in a lot of ways, but in other ways she was just too timid and she had absolutely no confidence in herself or in her abilities. It was hard at times to stand behind a character that didn't believe that her ideas had any validity. I kept waiting for Maddy to start standing up for herself but it didn't really happen in the way that I was hoping. Another small complaint that I had was that the final quarter just wrapped up too neatly. I love a happy ending, but some of the ways that Sweeney chose to conclude the book seemed unrealistic, especially for Hollywood!

Despite the small things that I didn't love, Scared Scriptless was a great book and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is curious about Hollywood and what happens behind the scenes. Those parts of the book were a lot of fun! I hope to go back and read Alison Sweeney's previous book, The Star Attraction, because I would love to know more about the handsome Billy and his background! He was definitely one of my favourite characters even though we don't get to see him as much as I would like in this book. This light read will be the perfect addition to your beach bag this summer! My thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy for review.

All Fall Down: A Novel
All Fall Down: A Novel
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put It Down!, July 19 2014
Allison Weiss is doing it all- she's holding down a demanding job that will only become more so as her blog's brand expands, parenting a demanding and overly sensitive young child, running the household and helping to care for her aged father with dementia. She juggles so many balls at one time that she is constantly teetering on the edge of dropping one or another- if she's a good parent she's not being a good employee, and so on. Allison finds herself coping with the overwhelming business of getting through the day by taking a pill once or twice a day. As the pill dissolves Allison feels some of her anxiety slipping away as well. As Allison continues to add things to her to-do list she finds herself taking more and more pills just to get through a few hours, a few days. As her addiction rapidly spirals out of control Allison finds herself on the brink of losing everything that she holds dear and she must decide what lengths that she will go to in order to get well again.

All Fall Down was everything that I have come to expect from Jennifer Weiner. It was gripping and thought-provoking and it was a reflection of everything that goes on in society today. Weiner exposed a different side of addiction within these pages. We often view addiction in a "Breaking Bad' style- that drug addictions aren't something that affects the middle class, the moms with jobs and husbands and two-point-two children, but only affects scary looking people in seedy motels and out on the streets. These days addictions are becoming more prevalent, and All Fall Down is an incredibly timely story. For someone who doesn't have a drug addiction of her own, Weiner really takes us inside of Allison's head. I found myself feeling Allison's desperation for her next pill come out from the pages, and as her addiction spirals out of control and she becomes desperate for her next fix I could feel her panic set in.

It was funny how much I found myself relating to Allison. Despite the fact that I don't have a drug or alcohol addition I found myself agreeing with much of how she feels. I believe that the modern woman juggles too much on a daily basis- kids, husbands, jobs, the household. The strength of a modern woman often amazes me. We are expected to be fit and pretty and good moms and wives and we are expected to contribute to the household income on top of all of that. It's easy to see how addiction could stem from all of these pressures and demands and I think that Weiner painted an accurate picture of today's modern woman.

All Fall Down is perhaps grittier than some of Jennifer Weiner's previous books but I thought that it was one of her best to date. She doesn't shy away from a topic that is difficult yet she treats it with the respect that it deserves. I found it impossible to tear myself away from the story because I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. I was satisfied with the ending and found it fitting for the story. I'm already impatient for Weiner's next release! My thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book for review.

Desperately Ever After: Book One: Desperately Ever After Series
Desperately Ever After: Book One: Desperately Ever After Series
Price: CDN$ 4.82

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun and feisty update of our childhood favourites!, July 19 2014
Have you ever wondered what happened to our favourite fairy tale characters after their "happily ever afters"? What happened to Beauty after Beast morphs into his handsome princely self? What happened to Rapunzel after she was rescued from her tower? What about Cinderella? Author Laura Kenyon brings these characters and more to life in the first book of her "Desperately Ever After" series, the aptly titled Desperately Ever After. She skillfully brings these characters into the modern day and she continues their stories from where the fairy tale left off. Belle is struggling with her overwhelming desire to have a baby but not being able to get pregnant. It doesn't help that her husbands infidelities are all over the gossip rags. Cinderella adores her husband and her children but can't help but wonder if she missed out on all the things she wanted to do before she turned 30 by getting pregnant on her honeymoon. Rapunzel is determined to make up for all of the years that she lost being trapped in the tower by partying and dating as much as she can. As these women navigate the often difficult task of being wives, mothers, and daughters as well as princesses in the spotlight, they lean on one another for conversation, support and friendship.

I absolutely love the concept of this series! What woman has not enjoyed a princess tale or two in childhood? I'm personally a huge fan of Beauty and the Beast and I will still occasionally watch the movie despite the fact that I'm in my 30's now. I love that Kenyon brought these characters into the modern day but kept them as princesses. Now they are princesses with royal responsibilities, less-than-perfect husbands, and modern troubles. This story was modern with an undertone of the magical! I also appreciated that Kenyon bases each character's back story on the Grimm's Fairy Tale version rather than the more widely accepted Disney version. That brought authenticity to the story.

I enjoyed getting to know some of my favourite fairy tale characters from childhood in a new and modern setting! I'll admit that at first I found it a little difficult to deal with the fact that their "happily ever afters" weren't exactly how I imagined (as in, they weren't very happy, LOL!) but I quickly got over that and became immersed in the drama of their various stories! There were parts of the story that felt slow to me, but that's likely because in the first book there are quite a few characters to introduce to the reader, and Kenyon spends time describing their unique kingdoms. If you're reading the book and come to a part that feels slow moving I encourage you to continue reading! The pace picks up shortly after and I think that future books, with less back story to explain, won't have that problem.

Desperately Ever After has a clever, whip- smart plot, an enchanting setting, and a lot of fun, strong female characters to root for. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it (on the beach!) and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel to this book, Damsels in Distress, which will be released in the summer of 2014.

Zoey & The Moment of Zen
Zoey & The Moment of Zen
Price: CDN$ 3.79

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to read!, Nov. 21 2013
When Zoey Everwood, owner of Everwood coffee shop, lover of all things coffee, takes her obsession with ex-boyfriend Braden too far, her closest friends and her adoring aunt decide that Zoey needs a break. They send her to the Moment of Zen Wellness Resort, a place where caffeine and alcohol are out and yoga at sunrise and freshly-squuezed juice are in. Zoey isn't loving being away from it all but meeting Shane, the handsome guy in the cabin next to hers who is also getting over his ex, suddenly makes it all worth it.

While sharing a contraband coffee Zoey and Shane realize that they have developed feelings for each other and, not wanting to lose these feelings, they hastily tie the knot before returning home. When Zoey comes back with a husband instead of souvenirs, she has some explaining to do! Although Zoey's friends and family want to be supportive, they can't be just yet, and as Zoey and Shane re-enter reality they question if they can keep the magic alive outside of the resort.

I loved Cat Lavoie's debut novel, Breaking the Rules, and I loved Zoey and the Moment of Zen just as much! I am always drawn to books that have great characters, and this book had lots of them! I was drawn to Zoey's character from the beginning- she had so much going for her but was hung up on an ex-boyfriend whom everyone could see was not the guy for her anyways! Zoey's friends are a lot of fun, especially her best friend, and I loved the character of Zoey's aunt, who has been raising Zoey from birth. Zoey finds out some interesting things about her Aunt Nessa while she is away at the resort and I thought that this addition to the plot made things even more interesting! I especially loved Nate, Shane's grumpy friend, who tried to deter Shane at every turn from marrying Zoey but who really had everyone's best interests at heart the whole time.

The plot was a lot of fun as well. I loved that Zoey was caught up in the romance of it all at the resort and married Shane on a whim (so romantic!) but I loved it even more when they returned home and reality set in for them. That's certainly when the conflicts begin, and Cat Lavoie made sure that things did not run smoothly!

This was a fast and fun read, and if you haven't picked up a Cat Lavoie book yet I can recommend both of her reads. If you're someone who hesitates to pick up a book published by a small, independent publisher, don't. Zoey and the Moment of Zen is very well written as well as very well edited, and it was a pleasure to read from beginning to end. My thanks to the publisher for providing me with a review copy!

Legally Wed
Legally Wed
Price: CDN$ 3.23

3.0 out of 5 stars A good debut, Sept. 3 2013
This review is from: Legally Wed (Kindle Edition)
When Mia Lombard discovers that, due to a UK work permit snafu, her boss is going to have to return home to the US immediately and many people at her work are going to lose their jobs, she decides to take one for the team. She agrees to marry Max Dylan for a period of three years so that he can stay in the UK and they can keep their client happy. Mia is married to her job anyways, so she has no romantic prospects on the horizon at the moment, and it doesn't hurt that she has been harbouring a small crush on Max for quite some time.

Max and Mia quickly marry, much to the pleasure of both sets of parents, who are not in on the real reason for their hasty marriage. Because it has to look good if they are investigated Max moves into Mia's home, an older home that Mia is lovingly restoring herself in her rare free time. Once Max moves in Mia finds to her surprise that he seems to return the feelings that she has for him. Suddenly she is faced with a big decision- should she give in to those feelings and risk things not working out or should she safeguard her heart and the future of her company and stay as far away from Max as possible?

Legally Wed was a fun, light read with a lot of spicy romantic scenes and a predictable yet enjoyable plot. I loved the characters of both Max and Mia. They were both very likeable and I enjoyed watching their romance develop over time. The supporting characters were wonderful as well and they were a welcome addition. I liked the fact that Mia remained a strong character throughout the book. She maintains her work ethic as well as her morals even as her situation changes and I respected that.

I did find that the story moved a little slowly at times. I was enjoying it but wanted more, perhaps more about the renovations or about their families. I'll also mention that there were a lot of sex scenes, so if that's something that you don't enjoy you may want to be aware of that ahead of time.

Overall Legally Wed was a pleasant read, great for reading on the beach or when you're looking for something light and sweet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19