biss boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno
Profile for BookChick > Reviews

Content by BookChick
Top Reviewer Ranking: 219

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

BookChick (Simcoe, ON Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and multi-purpose!, Dec 2 2014
I love, love, LOVE this stylus! It's 3 items in one and includes a laser pointer (batteries included), a pen with available refills (refills not included) , and a stylus that is the best one I have seen on the market to date. The stylus tip is made out of a premium material and is far nicer and more durable than any that I have seen so far. I find myself replacing my styluses frequently because they wear out but I will not have that problem with this one. This item goes beautifully with my Kyasi case and it's nice to not have to bring both a pen and a stylus along. Convenient and attractive!

I do wish that it had come with a diagram, though. It did take me a few minutes to figure out what item was where. I received this product from the company in exchange for my honest review.

Kyasi Seattle Classic-Galaxy Tab 3 Case - 8" Deep Purple
Kyasi Seattle Classic-Galaxy Tab 3 Case - 8" Deep Purple
Offered by Kyasi Canada
Price: CDN$ 53.69
2 used & new from CDN$ 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great case for your tablet,very versatile!, Dec 2 2014
I received my Kyasi Tablet case in the mail and before I had even put my tablet into it, I was impressed. You can tell by the stitching and the construction of the product that it is high quality. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 fit into it easily, and the design ensures easy access to the devices charging port as well as the audio input, volume control and on/off buttons. I don't like cases where you have to remove the case in order to access those things.

The case easily folds to allow for watching movies or Netflix. My previous case didn't have that and I wish that it did. The added hand strap makes it easy to watch movies or shows on the tablet while on the go without added hand strain. I especially love that there is a place to put your stylus. My previous case didn't have that and I was always searching for where my stylus went.

I only have two very small criticisms about the case. One is that it doesn't have the magnetic on/off feature and the other is that since the case is not a moulded one, the tablet does shift around the tiniest bit while in the case. Please note that it does not shift much at all, and very little considering that it is not moulded. I don't think that it will be a problem for most. I received this product in exchange for my honest review.

A Second Bite at the Apple
A Second Bite at the Apple
Price: CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow at first, but ultimately enjoyable!, Nov. 28 2014
Sydney Strauss is obsessed with writing about food. When she was in College she dreamed of being a food writer one day, but since that line of work is notoriously hard to break in to she found herself accepting a producing job for a local morning show instead. When she finds herself unexpectedly unemployed in a difficult job market Sydney takes a part-time job at a local farmer's market working for a cantankerous boss at the Wild Yeast Bakery stand. While she mostly enjoys it she also finds herself gravitating towards writing about food again. Is there room for another food writer in an overcrowded market? When she lands the scoop of the century should she write about it and potentially alienate her new friends or should the world know the truth?

Add in an ex-boyfriend, a current love interest with a checkered past, a colourful best friend and a potential dream job and Sydney has her hands fuller than she ever imagined.

I liked A Second Bite At The Apple quite a bit. The farmer's market setting was really interesting, as was the emphasis on the local food movement. Author Dana Bate made the romance between Sydney and potential love interest Jeremy come alive and I quite enjoyed watching their relationship develop. Despite my reservations about the two at first, they quickly became my favourite part of the story.

I will admit that it took me a bit to get in to this book. Sydney didn't strike me as being particularly lovable at first and it took me a while to relate to her. While I enjoyed all of the quirky supporting characters I didn't like her as much as I wanted to. When she made a very questionable decision (or at least went about making it in a very questionable way) I liked her even less but persevered in reading the story anyways. It's very rare that I give up reading a book, especially when I'm more than halfway through!

Despite my earlier reservations, I'm very glad that I finished reading the book. It concluded with a bang and I found the last half very enjoyable! Sydney came full circle for me and went from a character that I felt indifferent about to one whose story I enjoyed very much! I found parts of the book to be very realistic and I appreciated that as well. Sydney's struggles with the job market felt real and lent an authentic air to the story.

Overall A Second Bite At The Apple was an enjoyable read. If you enjoy "foodie" books as much as I do it is unlikely that you won't find something to love! My thanks to the publisher as well as Netgalley for providing me with a review copy of the book.

Monopoly Junior Game
Monopoly Junior Game
Price: CDN$ 13.97
7 used & new from CDN$ 13.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Addition to Family Game Night!, Nov. 23 2014
This review is from: Monopoly Junior Game (Toy)
My kids are seven, nine, and fifteen and they are all into video games. I do my best to limit their screen time overall- I set time limits on video games and I have cancelled my cable- but video games seem to be the one thing that they continually gravitate towards in their free time. As a busy mom who works six days a week I always struggle to find ways to spend quality time with the boys. I'm certainly not interested in any of the video games that they are in to. We do read together on a nightly basis, and the boys take turns rotating who gets to walk our puppy, Kevin, with me, but I am always on the hunt for more ways to interact with them.

I was thrilled to receive an invitation to the Influenster Hasbro Gaming VoxBox! Influenster and Hasbro sent me Monopoly Junior to play with my boys, and I couldn't wait! We found time on a Sunday afternoon to sit down together (myself and the three boys) to play the game. I was happy that my fifteen-year-old was interested in playing with us too. Despite the fact that the game has been adjusted to meet the playing needs of young children, my oldest was still interested in spending some quality time with us! Monopoly Junior allows for up to four players total, so we each chose a fun character to be (boat, cat, car, dog) and away we went!

The first thing that I loved about this game were the simplified rules. My boys have played their own version of the adult Monopoly together before and usually the result is tears due to the over-complicated rules that they come up with. Monopoly Junior made the rules easy to follow so that even younger children can play along, and the game lasts about as long as their attention span does. The boys and I played two games together that day and have played several since! I also liked that you can play with two to four players. Sometimes we want to play as a family, but other times my youngest two boys just want to play alone.

My favourite part about Monopoly Junior, of course, is the time that we were able to spend together playing it. It was nice to have that break from playing video games and it was even nicer to be able to spend some quality time with my boys doing something that we all enjoyed! I'm excited about having Hasbro Game Nights as a family in the future! My thanks to Influenster for inviting me to participate in this campaign. I received Monopoly Junior in exchange for my honest opinion about the game.

FRiEQ® Hi-Speed Extra Long (6 Ft/1.8m) Nylon Braided Tangle-Free USB 3.0 Male To Micro B Data Cable with Gold-Plated Connectors for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 / Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black/Hot Pink)
Price: CDN$ 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Product That Was Well Thought Out, Nov. 23 2014
I received this product from the company in exchange for my honest review. Unfortunately I don't have any Samsung devices that I can try this on at home, so I started by examining the product for quality and durability. I love that the hot pink and black nylon casing on the cord makes sure that this cord will not knot! There is nothing worse than having a cord all tangled up in a drawer and having to untangle the mess when you need to use it. The cord is long and the long connectors ensure that it will easily plug in to your product even if you have a durable case on it. This company was thinking when they designed it that way. I have an Otterbox on my phone and too many cords that I have purchased for it don't account for that extra bulk. Luckily for me my sister-in-law has a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I was able to try it out on that. I found that it connected easily and worked well, and that it was compatible with her charger as well as her USB 3.0 on her computer. An excellent product well worth purchasing!

FRiEQ® 4-Feet Gold Plated 3.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female Car and Home Stereo Cloth Jacketed Tangle-Free Auxiliary Stereo Audio Cable Extension Fits Over Tablet & Smart Phone Cases For iPad, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Android, MP3 (Light Blue/Yellow)
Price: CDN$ 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A High-Quality Cable, Nov. 23 2014
I was sent this product in exchange for my honest review and I was impressed by the quality, right out of the box! I often use my phone for music at the gym while I'm running but I find that my headphone cord is quite short, and that's annoying! I used this extension to connect my phone to my Sony Headphones and there was absolutely no interference between the two. Fabulous! I have an Otterbox case on my phone and the FRiEQ cable makes sure that the length of the connector accounts for extra casing on the phone. The entire cable is covered in a nylon material designed to increase durability and the connectors appear to be high quality and made to last. An excellent product that I would have been happy to pay for!

Bolse® [Apple MFi Certified] 3-Port (25W / 5A) High Output USB Car Chargers, Build-in 2-in-1 Lightning & Micro USB Cable With SmartIC Technology Charging Station for iPhone 6, 5; Samsung Galaxy; iPad Air; Motorola and HTC; Tablet; GPS (Black)
Price: CDN$ 45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Offers effortless charging!, Nov. 23 2014
I was sent this product by the company in exchange for my honest review and I can say that I was far more impressed than I was expecting! My first thought when taking the product out of the packaging was how well it was constructed. The product feels like it is a quality product, even before you try it out! The best part of the charger, though, is the ability for it to charge multiple devices at one time! My husband and I use our car to commute and it's nice that we don't have to argue about who gets to charge their device first! I can charge my iPhone 5, my husband's HTC One, and my tablet all at once without losing charging power in any device. The way that it is designed ensures that all of the cords fit comfortably into the charger without them crowding one another. I would definitely recommend this device to anyone looking for effortless charging on the go. It is everything that it presents itself to be and more!

The Woman Who Stole My Life
The Woman Who Stole My Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Marian Keyes!, Nov. 23 2014
Stella Sweeney, mom of two trying to get her life back, has always believed in the power of karma. One day she tries to do a good deed and the car crash that happens as a result has the power to change her life. She meets a man that day who turns up in her life later on when she least expects it and who has the ability to change her from ordinary Stella into the Stella of her dreams.

Life as Stella is just not that easy, though. She has a child who hates her (and pretty much everyone else), an ex-husband determined to become famous at any cost, and a best friend who isn't what she seems. Will Stella come to curse the car crash that changed her life or will she learn to embrace all of the weird and wonderful things that have happened to her as a result?

I would read anything that Marian Keyes has written, including a grocery list, but the plot of The Woman Who Stole My Life is in turns brilliant and moving, making it a pleasure to read. This book certainly appears to be more autobiographical than most of her novels. I follow her on several social networks and as a result I have an idea of the kind of things that Keyes has been struggling with over the last few years, and I saw some of those things evident within the pages of this novel. The parallels were interesting, and I feel that they gave us a glimpse into the woman behind the books. That made this book interesting in a different way from her previous releases.

Keyes also moves the plot of this book throughout several different time periods of Stella's life.We see her pre-accident as well as post-accident, and somehow the movement through time periods is effortless and I never found myself confused as to which time period we were currently in. I appreciated this technique as it gave us, as readers, insight into the role that this one accident managed to play in Stella's life and how one moment can have the power to change everything.

While in many ways The Woman Who Stole My Life is different from Keyes' previous releases, in other ways the author's voice remains the same, making this an enjoyable read for both new fans as well as die hard ones. The characters were well thought-out and unique (although exasperating at times!), the plot easy to follow and enjoyable, and within the pages Stella's emotions were evident. It was an excellent read and I'm glad that one of my favourite authors is back writing fiction again. My thanks to Penguin UK and Netgalley for providing me with a review copy!

Married by Midnight: A Christmas Story
Married by Midnight: A Christmas Story
Price: CDN$ 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It put me in the mood for the holidays!, Nov. 9 2014
I always enjoy Talli Roland's holiday novellas. They are sweet and fun and romantic and Married by Midnight was no exception! The character of Kate is easy to like, even though she starts out by being a pushover. Kate's mother and sister are great supporting characters and the story itself was well-written. I loved it, and my only wish is that it wouldn't have ended! I always wish that Talli's novellas are full-length novels because I don't want them to end!

Charlie Glass's Slippers: A Very Modern Fairy Tale
Charlie Glass's Slippers: A Very Modern Fairy Tale
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Take on a Classic, Nov. 7 2014
When Charlie Glass' father dies after a long illness, society is expecting that his shoe empire will be taken over by his two glamorous daughters and his ex-wife, who have been running the show for quite some time already. What they are not expecting is that Elroy Glass will shock everyone and leave his empire to his third daughter, the plump and motherless Charlie (short for Charlotte) who has a huge heart but no fashion sense.

Charlie finds herself thrust into an unfamiliar life that is uncomfortable for her like a shoe that doesn't fit, but she does her best to fit in. She decides to attend a weight loss boot camp so that she fits the image expected of someone running the Glass shoe empire, and returns home with a new look and a new attitude. Suddenly Charlie is fashion forward and glamorous and she has the Prince Charming by her side to boot. But will this be enough for Charlie or will she find out that the glass slipper doesn't fit right after all?

Charlie Glass's Slippers is a charming take on a fairy tale classic. We have the plump and often overlooked Charlie who transforms virtually overnight while her evil stepmother and stepsisters look on in horror. We have a Prince Charming rushing in to claim the hand of the princess and we have the potential for a happy ending. What happens to Charlie in the beginning is what every overweight girl has ever dreamed of. Take off for boot camp and return transformed. Suddenly everyone who has put you down in your life because of your weight will be desperate to befriend you! What I love is that author Holly McQueen didn't stop the story there. Instead our heroine Charlie soon finds that the life of glitz and glamour is not exactly what she pictured it to be. Although she does well in her new role, she begins to realize that being thin is not the key to her happiness.

Charlie Glass's Slippers is a fun and modern take on a classic fairy tale that most girls have dreamed of at some point in their lives. Our heroine Charlie is easy to love and relate to. The story is funny and often romantic and it conveys the message that it really isn't the outside that counts, but it is the fantastic things that we find within ourselves that really matter.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20