Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store NFL Tools
Profile for BookChick > Reviews

Content by BookChick
Top Reviewer Ranking: 217

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

BookChick (Simcoe, ON Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
More Like Her: A Novel
More Like Her: A Novel
by Liza Palmer
Price: CDN$ 16.69
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't recommend this one highly enough, May 8 2012
This review is from: More Like Her: A Novel (Paperback)
Frannie is a teacher at an exclusive school and she, along with her friends and fellow teachers Lisa and Jill, are in awe of their new headmistress, Emma Dunham. Emma appears to be perfect. She is the first female headmistress in the history of the school and she is poised and beautiful and she seems to have it all. Frannie, on the other hand, does not seem to have it all. She is pining for her ex-boyfriend despite the fact that he has moved on with his life, and she just doesn't like herself all that much. Frannie and her friends think that they want to be just like Emma until the day that they realize that they were dead wrong about the elegant headmistress all along.

More Like Her is an excellent book. It is a page-turner, impossible to put down, and it is incredibly well-written. Trust me, I know that I sound like I'm gushing but that's because I am. More Like Her had me riveted from the first page until the very last.

The introduction foreshadows what is to come, and trust me, it's not what you would expect from typical women's fiction. It's gritty, scary, and disturbing. However the first chapter introduces us to Frannie who is unsure of herself and struggling with finding her place in the world and since the story heads into familiar waters I was able to kind of forget about what I found out at the very beginning. The story is cruising along when suddenly, WHAM, something crazy happens, something that changes the story entirely. Even though I knew that it was coming, I was floored when the climax occurred and I had to read it several times to take it all in.

I just cannot recommend this book enough. Liza Palmer captured my attention and held it throughout. It is a book that will stay with me for quite some time and I'm already anxiously awaiting her next release.

The Singles: A Novel
The Singles: A Novel
by Meredith Goldstein
Price: CDN$ 14.59
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An engaging read, May 2 2012
This review is from: The Singles: A Novel (Paperback)
The Singles. They are at every wedding. Where do you seat them? Where will they fit in? Will they cause a scene? These are the questions that plague Bee Evans just days before her country club nuptials. She invited all of her single guests to bring a date but an unfortunate few declined to do so, leaving Bee frantic as to where to put her "singles" on the seating chart and wondering why they couldn't just have the courtesy to bring someone with them!

The Singles by Meredith Goldstein tells the stories of these singles. The first chapter is from the point of view of the frantic bride-to-be, Bee, and the remaining chapters are told from the point of view of her single guests. These guests include one of her bridesmaids, unable to get over her ex, an unreliable old friend from college, a man whom she has never met before whose mother happens to be a friend of her new mother-in-law, and her Uncle Joe. Although their stories rarely intersect, they do weave together here and there as each story comes to a conclusion.

The Singles is going to be a popular beach book! It's light reading at its finest. The story is enjoyable and fast-paced, the characters are people that you really want to know more about, and the book is very well-written. Had I not had to, you know, eat and sleep, I would have read this one through from start to finish without taking a break. There was something compelling about each individual character and I loved the fact that the characters really didn't intersect all that much. They did come together, and artfully so, but I was able to enjoy each story individually as well as a whole.

My only complaint would be that the book was too short. There were several characters whose stories were being told and I would have liked to have heard more about each one. It's not that the stories were not told in completion, but that I was enjoying each individual story so much that I wanted more!

I enjoyed The Singles and can recommend it without hesitation to anyone looking for a light and engaging read. This will be perfect reading material for the warmer and more relaxed days of summer.

These Girls: A Novel
These Girls: A Novel
by Sarah Pekkanen
Price: CDN$ 17.00
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read About Friendship, May 2 2012
This review is from: These Girls: A Novel (Paperback)
Initially it is geography that brings 30-somethings Cate, Renee and Abby together in their small New York Apartment. Cate is thin, disciplined and accomplished, having been recently named the features editor of Gloss magazine, a high end lifestyle publication. However being the editor brings along its own set of complications and new challenges for Cate to overcome.

Renee looks at Cate's life with envy. Slightly overweight and definitely underpaid, she will do anything to nab the job as the beauty editor of Gloss, even if that means relying on black market diet pills to shed those few extra pesky pounds. Will Renee gain the job that she's always coveted or will she lose everything that she had in the first place?

Shy and quiet Abby is a recent transplant to New York from D.C. Cate and Renee struggle to discover what happened to her there that would have made Abby flee her seemingly happy life as a nanny to a little girl that she adored and a graduate student.

These Girls tells the story of these three very different women as they struggle to navigate the path that life has laid out for them, and as they learn to rely on one another for friendship.

I must warn you that I'm a bit of a Sarah Pekkanen fangirl, and I just can't help the excitement that comes with reading one of her latest novels. In fact she is one of the authors whose books have made it onto my permanent bookshelves. I was thrilled when These Girls arrived in the mail, and I was certainly not disappointed when I read it.

The ultimate theme of These Girls is the exploration of female friendships and how they work. As a woman for whom female friendships have not always come easily (although I am blessed with the friendship of a group of great women now, it did take a while for these friendships to form) I appreciated the fact that these three very different women did not instantly share a bond. I get tired of reading books where the friends who the plot is formed around have always been best friends and have been through everything together and who just happen to still be best friends into adulthood. The friendship that emerges between Cate, Renee, and Abby is earned, little by little, piece by piece. In fact in the beginning of the book Cate laments that it is not easy for her to relax and open up to the far more friendly character of Renee. Pekkanen's observations about women and how they interact with one another as they navigate their thirties were spot on.

Although These Girls explores the theme of friendship, it also explores each woman's individual story in depth. Although I enjoyed both Cate and Abby's stories, I found myself relating the most to Renee, the slightly overweight, eager-to-please nice girl. Renee is that typical woman who finds herself so anxious to be liked by those around her that she finds it irrelevant if she actually likes herself. When Renee receives nasty comments on her blog regarding her weight something inside of her snaps and she decides to do anything to lose weight, even if that means ordering black market diet pills off of the Internet. While the pills have their intended result, the changes in her behavior threaten to alienate all those around her. I think that most women will find something about Renee that they were able to relate to, whether that be her insecurities or her desire to please people at her own expense.

These Girls is an engaging story about three very different women and the bonds that form between them as they discover what adulthood has in store for them. As with all of Sarah Pekkanen's novels I had a hard time putting it down once I picked it up and am thrilled to recommend it to anyone looking to read women's fiction filled with depth and heart.

Forgotten
Forgotten
by Catherine Mckenzie
Price: CDN$ 18.99
9 used & new from CDN$ 3.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and Original, May 2 2012
This review is from: Forgotten (Paperback)
Emma Tupper is a young lawyer on the fast track to becoming partner when her mother becomes ill and dies. Her mother had always dreamed of visiting Africa, but Emma is surprised when she finds out that her inheritance is a ticket to visit there. Emma is also a little annoyed, truth be told. It's not that she minds about the inheritance, because she could care less about the money, but it's the fact that she'll have to take a month off work for the trip, something that is strongly discouraged at her law firm, and that Africa isn't really anywhere that Emma had ever wanted to visit. This was her mother's dream, not hers.

Feeling the desire to connect with her late mother, Emma decides to take the trip against her better judgement. She falls ill while on the tour and is left in a remote village to heal, but just as she's recovering a massive earthquake hits and her one-month long stay turns into a six-month long one.

Returning home months after her expected return date, Emma is shocked to find out that her bank account has been frozen, her apartment re-rented, and all of her belongings disposed of. In just six short months Emma has been completely forgotten. Or has she? As Emma struggles to get her old life back she resists making the changes that those around her suggest that she make. After all, she worked so hard to get where she is, why should she have to give it all up now?

I loved Catherine McKenzie's first two books, "Spin" and "Arranged", so it came as no surprise to me that I loved "Forgotten" as well. The plot was so original and fresh. Despite the fact that there are so many books coming out every week, I haven't read a book with this particular plot before and I found that refreshing. The story itself was well-written and fast-paced. I hunkered down with the book one evening and before I knew it it was several hours later and I was about halfway through. McKenzie has created a likable character in Emma, a no-nonsense lawyer determined to get ahead even when the odds are not stacked in her favour. The fact that author McKenzie is a lawyer herself lent credibility to the character of Emma and to her experiences at work.

I especially enjoyed the fact that the ending wasn't really what I would have predicted. I read a lot of women's fiction and while I don't mind a predictable ending, it is the ones that are unpredictable that really stick out in my mind. I'm sure that I won't be the only reader who is a little surprised but pleased with how things ultimately turn out.

"Forgotten" was fresh and interesting, well-written and fast-paced. Be prepared for the fact that when you pick it up, you won't be able to put it down for a while!

Merry Acres Widows Waltz
Merry Acres Widows Waltz
by Nan D. Arnold
Price: CDN$ 15.92
6 used & new from CDN$ 15.52

3.0 out of 5 stars A fast-paced read, April 19 2011
Georgiana Duncan insisted that she and her husband, Daniel, move to the retirement community of Merry Acres when they reached "that" age. Now, with few prospects for making new friends, a husband too busy gambling or playing golf to stick around for long, and a money-pit of a house to fix up, Georgiana isn't too sure. She becomes even more concerned about her decision to move there when several women's husbands end up murdered. Are the newly minted widows in Merry Acres hiding something, or is there some other force at work here? And would Georgiana really be so unhappy if her own husband were to mysteriously kick the bucket?

"Merry Acres Widows Waltz" was certainly a departure from my usual reading selections. It had murder, intrigue, and a breathless (yet satisfying) ending. I couldn't help but feel some pity for our main character, Georgiana. We find her at the beginning of the novel uncertain as to why she was so determined to move to Merry Acres in the first place. Her husband certainly hasn't changed since the move, their house continues to drain their financial resources, and the women in the community seem distant and just a little unusual. When the men living in the community begin meeting their untimely demise, one by one, Georgiana is really questioning her decision to become a part of the retirement community. But with a mystery on her hands, and the free time to solve it, she begins chasing down some surprising answers.

Well-written, fast-paced, and clever, "Merry Acres Widows Waltz" is a must-read for anyone who enjoys curling up with a good mystery.

3.5 stars out of 5

Love in Mid Air
Love in Mid Air
by Kim Wright
Price: CDN$ 9.07
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking look at marriage, Aug. 27 2010
This review is from: Love in Mid Air (Hardcover)
Elyse Bearden is on a flight on the way back from a pottery show when she makes a decision that will change her life. She switches seats with a stranger and ends up sitting next to Gerry, the man who will cause her to question everything that she's ever believed in. After a brief but chemistry-filled encounter with him, she returns home to her passive husband Phil, her fulfilling pottery business, and her young daughter Tori, but suddenly things don't look the same as they always have.

Weeks later, Elyse finally gathers enough courage to call Gerry. The chemistry between them is still there, and they meet up in a hotel. Their affair has officially begun. In the next months Elyse alternates between trying to save her failing marriage while falling for Gerry. Her friends and fellow book-club members try to convince her of all that she will lose by walking out of her marriage, and by doing so spark heated discussions about their own flawed personal lives. Ultimately Elyse must decide if all that she will gain by walking out on her marriage will be worth all that she loses.

Anyone who has ever been married knows that it's not all a walk in the park. Yes, there are good times, bordering on perfection. For every good time, there seems to be a bad time too; many marriages eventually reach the point when one contemplates walking out the other, even if that final step is never taken. Our divorce rate (almost 40% of Canadian marriages ended in divorce in 2003) should emphasize that point. "Love in Mid Air" was a reflection on marriage- the sacrifices that we make to stay married, the times when we wish that we could leave, what can be lost by staying, and what we can gain by leaving. It was interesting to me that Elyse spends much of the book giving her marriage one last shot. She attends counselling with her husband, she tries wearing sexy lingerie for him, and she tries to be more agreeable in his prescence. Yes, she's involved in an affair with Gerry at the time (including monthly hotel visits and frequent phone calls), but she's still giving her marriage one last effort. Some could argue (and some in the book do) that Elyse isn't being fair- she should either concentrate on her marriage, or she should leave Phil and concentrate on her new relationship, but I would have to say that at least she did make an effort. The fact that these continued efforts didn't work attest to the fact that her marriage really wasn't working anymore.

I only had one small problem with the book, and that was within the conclusion. A particular event occurs towards the end which wrapped things up tidily, but I felt that the particular event essentially excused Elyse from her actions. Cheating is wrong (although not always black and white), even during the last gasps of a marriage. I think that Elyse should have had to fully face the consequences of cheating on her husband.

Aside from that, I found the book enjoyable and found it very thought-provoking. It presented the institution of marriage from a variety of different directions. It would make a fantastic book club selection.

All I Ever Wanted
All I Ever Wanted
by Kristan Higgins
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect balance of romance, humour, and happily-ever-after, July 31 2010
Callie Grey has been in love with her boss since, well, since well before he was her boss! Mark has to do nothing more than smile at her and her stomach automatically knots. He was her first kiss, in a closet of her youth, and he's continued to hold a special place in her heart despite the fact that she's well into adulthood. Then there's the matter of their five-week fling about a year ago. Callie found herself in Mark's bed, and hasn't been able to forget about it, despite the fact that Mark broke up with her because of "the timing".

Callie finds herself wanting to forget about Mark, fast, when Mark announces that he's dating the company's newest employee, who happens to be the spoiled daughter of the firm's largest client. Callie's friends urge her to find someone new, if for no other reason than making Mark realize what he's missing. She throws herself into online dating, but is taken aback when she finds herself falling for the town's newest, but rather aloof, vet.

Suddenly Callie finds herself thinking "Mark who?" but little does she know that the path with her new beau will be rough sailing ahead.

I have to admit that I shy away from reading romances. I'm a chick lit kind of girl, and there's so much of that out there that I haven't ventured into reading a lot of romance. That being said, I have to say that the cover and the description of Kristan Higgins' latest just called out to me. It called out so much that I read it shortly after receiving it, and I have to say that now I know why this one was calling my name. Higgins has written a book that is, yes, packaged as romance, but it kind of sits on the fence between romance and chick lit. It's not quite romance, not quite chick lit, but it is a delightful combination of the two.

I really, really enjoyed this book. Callie, our main character and all-around sweetheart, was someone that I loved from the beginning. She's the peacemaker that you can find in most families, the one slow to anger but quick to love, and you just can't help but root for her from the very beginning. She has this genuine desire for people to like her, but I never saw that as a bad thing (being a bit of a people pleaser myself). She lives with (and adores) her elderly grandfather who lost a leg after a stroke and an accident. She loves her father despite the fact that he cheated on her mother 22 years ago. She's a hard worker, a good sister, beloved by her nieces, yet she can't seem to get a break. Here she is, stuck working with and mooning after Mark, a man who so clearly does not deserve her. I was so glad when Ian, hunky vet with a reserved personality, broke onto the scene. Now there was someone that I could see Callie with! Handsome, mature, maybe a little wounded emotionally, but I could tell that there was a good person hiding under that gruff exterior.

Callie wasn't the only character that I loved. There was Ian, of course. Noah, the gruff grandpa with a heart of gold. Bowie, the beloved husky. Freddie, the slacker brother with a surprisingly good "listening ear". One of Higgins' strengths lies in creating quirky (imperfect) characters that you just can't help but love. While reading I wished that I could just drop in and have dinner with them all.

There were a couple of really funny scenes in here (the scene with the turkey had me laughing out loud), as well as some touching moments. "All I Ever Wanted" was the perfect balance of romance, humour, fun, and of course, happy endings, and it left me wanting more. Fans of both chick lit and romance should find this one to be a worthwhile summer read.

Beach Week
Beach Week
by Susan Coll
Price: CDN$ 27.50
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.44

3.0 out of 5 stars Examines the relationship of a teenager and their parents with wit, July 31 2010
This review is from: Beach Week (Hardcover)
Jordan Adler has had a rough go of things since her family moved to the D.C. suburbs. Not only was she forced to make new friends and new connections in the middle of her formative high school years, but she was injured by a wayward soccer player and had to endure a year of migraines and MRI's. Her parents haven't had the best time of it, either. Charles Adler had moved to D.C. in order to run a project to revitalize the downtown area. The project has encountered opposition, though, and until it is completed he doesn't receive the sizable bonus that he's been promised. The medical bills resulting from Jordan's injury continue to pile up, and Leah Adler, his wife, hasn't been able to find work. Leah, meanwhile, finds that she doesn't quite fit in in her new hometown. The other mothers have made an effort to exclude her, all she and her husband seem to do is fight, and her daughter is growing more distant.

Insert beach week into the mix, and they have a disaster on their hands. Beach week is a right of passage in D.C., where a group of girls go away to the beach on their own to celebrate their impending adulthood. Jordan doesn't really want to go, especially since she's met a handsome college man named Khalid, but her parents are insistent that she attend. The parents of the girls who are going get together to assess what their liability will be if things end up going horribly wrong, but beach week doesn't turn out at all like anyone thought that it would.

"Beach Week" is filled with sharp wit and dry humour, and it addresses something that every parent fears: when their child reaches that terrifying time of being not quite a teenager, but not quite an adult. The funny thing about the book is that I didn't particularly love any of the characters, which is usually a benchmark for me of how much I will enjoy the book, yet I appreciated the story and enjoyed it. The parents of all of the girls were the kind of people that you just love to hate- judgmental and cliquey, yet they were really no better than any other parent around them. Despite the fact that Charles (Jordan's father) was not a character that I particularly loved, I did appreciate the fact that he is portrayed as being flawed and quite human, even though he tries to keep it all together for the sake of his wife and daughter. You get the sense that he is quite overwhelmed by both of them.

"Beach Week" is a must-read for any parent of a teenager. Susan Coll examines the relationship between teenagers and their parents with humour and sensitivity, making this book one not to miss, even if you do want to slap some of the spoiled teenagers and their indulgent parents along the way.

Seven Year Switch
Seven Year Switch
by Claire Cook
Price: CDN$ 26.99
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the beach this summer!, July 22 2010
This review is from: Seven Year Switch (Hardcover)
Jill Murray feels like she finally has it all together, seven years after her husband Seth left her and their three-year-old daughter Anastasia in the middle of the night, leaving only a note behind. Sure, she's working three jobs to make ends meet, and sure, their house isn't as nice as the others in the neighborhood, but she's managing it, and all that really matters to her anyways is Anastasia.

When Seth reappears out of the blue, apparently finished with his stint in the Peace Corps and ready to be a father again, Jill is terrified that he will disappoint them, and especially their daughter, again. Anastasia is thrilled to have her dad back in her life, but Jill can't help but have her reservations.

Meanwhile, things are getting even more complicated on the man front. Jill is finding it next to impossible to resist her sweet and charming client, Billy, but is afraid to introduce yet another thing into her already chaotic life. Unable to figure out what to do, Jill takes a giant leap and takes a solo trip to Costa Rica, hoping that she'll be able to find out some answers while she's there.

Jill Murray is the protaganist that you're rooting for from the very beginning. She's sweet and lovable, yet closed off. She's been hurt before- big-time- and she's not keen to let anyone into her carefully constructed bubble. As a reader, I rooted for her all the way through. I hoped that she would come out of her shell, live a little, and realize that although she had been hurt before, not all men would be like her husband. Jill's neighbor, Cynthia, who likes to appear vapid but is anything but, was a welcome addition to the cast of characters. The fact that she was Jill's complete opposite made for an interesting comparison, and an even more entertaining friendship.

I loved the underlying theme about change and growth. The title comes from the concept that every seven years our skin completely regenerates itself, making us essentially a whole new person. Throughout the book we are presented with the concept that change, and especially personal growth, can be a good thing, if only we open ourselves up to it.

I really enjoyed "Seven Year Switch" and read it in less than a day! Claire Cook takes a situation that is serious and all too real (abandonment) and turns it into something fun, heartwarming, and empowering for the people involved. I highly recommend that you slip this one into your bag the next time you're headed for the beach- you won't be disappointed!

Farm Fatale: A Comedy of Country Manors
Farm Fatale: A Comedy of Country Manors
by Wendy Holden
Price: CDN$ 19.08
27 used & new from CDN$ 3.34

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too light for my taste, July 20 2010
Illustrator Rosie and her newspaper columnist boyfriend Mark are ready for a change. Actually, Rosie's ready for a change, but Mark isn't quite there yet. Rosie longs for the peace and quiet of the countryside, rather than the hustle and bustle of the city, and when Mark is offered the opportunity to write his own column about life in the country, the two jump at the chance at a new start in a new locale.

Samantha, who fancies herself to be a famous actress (despite the fact that the only film she's ever acted in went straight- to- airline), is also considering a move to the countryside as research for her upcoming acting role. She falls in love with "The Bottom", a house located in the picturesque town of Eight Mile Bottom, and is determined that she and her wealthy husband Guy become the most popular residents in town. She's not prepared for the fact that a reclusive rock star as well as an actual film star have already taken up residence in Eight Mile Bottom, so she'll have some competition.

Both couples find that life in the country is not quite what they had envisioned, but will they like what country life has to offer?

I have to admit that "Farm Fatale" was not my favourite Wendy Holden book, although it was definitely not my least favourite either. It fell somewhere in the middle. My problem with the book was not the writing or the setting (both wonderful), but the characters and the fact that I just didn't like them that much. Mark (Rosie's boyfriend) was selfish and quite unlikable. Samatha was borderline psychotic, thinking not only that she was famous, but that everyone wanted to be like her (which couldn't be further from the truth). Guy, Samantha's husband was quite despicable, and I couldn't feel an ounce of pity for him. Jack, the farmer, was too moody for me, and I couldn't bring myself to like him either. With the exception of Jack, the above characters were all supposed to be villanous, so I really wasn't supposed to like them, but the biggest problem was that I didn't even like Rosie, the character that you were supposed to like. She acted like a doormat throughout the book, unable to assert herself to her rude boyfriend or her best friend with a hellion for a child. Luckily Rosie redeemed herself in the last quarter of the story and became quite likeable. It was at that point that I began to cheer her on. I require my chick lit (in fact, most of my reads in general) to have at least one character that I actually care about what happens to.

The last quarter of the book saved the whole thing for me. Suddenly the characters were quirky (and I was rooting for them!), and a couple of fun new characters were introduced that made the whole plot more enjoyable. In fact, I would have loved to have had two in particular (Mark and Iseult) introduced much earlier. That may have changed my whole opinion of the book.

Despite my ramblings to the contrary, I really did enjoy "Farm Fatale". I just wish that it would have been a little more concise in the beginning, with a few more likable characters. This will still make a great light beach read, as there are plenty of enjoyable scenes and the ending was quite satisfying.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18