Profile for Laeinea > Reviews

Content by Laeinea

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Laeinea "jackal368" (Canada)

Bones of the Dragon
Bones of the Dragon
by Margaret Weis
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Hickman and Weis a winning Duo., May 16 2009
This review is from: Bones of the Dragon (Hardcover)
I just finished this book, and I have to say that Weis and Hickman are on it again. Fresh characters, fresh plot, intriguing storyline and that "I've got to finish this tonight" feeling. It is also a surprising book, not one I expected from my favorite Duo, and in some ways I had to say WHAT? as one of the characters is a self righteous, pompous, arrogant doorknob. I'll leave that there so I don't spoil anything. I am anxiously awaiting the second book! Definitely worth a read!

Flower Fairies Friends Paper Dolls
Flower Fairies Friends Paper Dolls
by Cicely Mary Barker
Price: CDN$ 7.59
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, July 14 2008
This is definitely a book to own if you have little girls. I was impressed by the quality of the dolls and the imagination of the outfits. All 3 of my girls were entranced by the beauty of this book. Well worth the cost, definitely buy this one.

Honored Enemy: Legends of the Riftwar, Book 1
Honored Enemy: Legends of the Riftwar, Book 1
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 8.54
58 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A book worth having., Sept. 18 2007
Honored Enemy is one of those books that is outside of the standard time line of the authors usual story. The one thing I will say that would be a con about this book is that you need to have read most of Raymond's novels (The Magician's series and the Serpent war saga definitely) in order to understand the story.
I believe that Dennis Hartraft is one of my favorite all time characters; the anger this character holds seethes and brings the book to life for me.
It is definitely worth a read!

Fortune's Fool
Fortune's Fool
by Mercedes Lackey
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.26

1.0 out of 5 stars Read it before with a different title. Disappointing., Sept. 18 2007
This review is from: Fortune's Fool (Hardcover)
Where's the beef? My English teacher said that to me once after I wrote an inane piece of drivel that I attempted to pass off as a good story... this particular book is a broken chicken bone without the marrow. It's completely rote, from the very beginning everything is set in place for a happy ending. Every character had dragon's blood in order to talk to animals, there was no strife, no fleshed out characters and the description on the cover jacket was more entertaining.
I know Mercedes Lackey writes "fluff" I like fluff, especially after digging into a meaty hard driven tale. This book isn't even fluff its dead boring. If I had to make a guess I would say Mercedes got bored with her own tale and finished it off as fast a s possible without even attempting to define the plot.
I just can't say enough bad things about this book... frankly I am ticked off that I wasted my gift certificate on it. Don't buy it, if you want to read it try and find it at the local library, it isn't worth the paperback price.
Mercedes Lackey if your going to throw your fans a bone atleast attempt to make it edible.

World of Warcraft
World of Warcraft
18 used & new from CDN$ 9.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Been playing MMo's for years...., Feb. 8 2007
Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: World of Warcraft (DVD-ROM)
And this one is pretty, and way to easy. In one day I made 15 levels. That's ridiculous, there is no catch to this game besides grind, grind, raid, raid and heaven forbid you aren't in a guild.

For all the hype it seriously lacks depth.

Neverwinter Nights 2
Neverwinter Nights 2
Offered by geniusgaming
Price: CDN$ 29.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 5.94

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, Feb. 8 2007
Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights 2 (DVD-ROM)
Unfortunately for me I fell into the low-mid range of minimums need to run this game, I figured I was going to upgrade soon so why not buy it and wait for upgrade? Well as it turns out my upgrade came a week after I recieved the game and I was soooo stoked, having been a lover of NWN 1. Well to my great suprise I couldn't even run the game. I could get it to load, bring up graphics but it was so bugged and laggy that the whole idea of even trying to

play it was out of the question. Seriously... Don't buy this game.

Shaman's Crossing
Shaman's Crossing
by Robin Hobb
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs an extra half star.., Sept. 25 2006
This review is from: Shaman's Crossing (Hardcover)
I was very skeptical about this particular book, I love Robin Hobb as far as I am concerned she is one of the best authors in fantasy going. So why was I skeptical? Because this particular book was outside of the genre that I have become used to with Robin Hobb. Usually with most authors when they start a new series their writing becomes formulatic and it's the same story just with different people in a different place. Lo'! Not so with Robin Hobb, this book takes you into a different time, place and story all together. Excellent story although I will have to read it again just to get the complete measure of it.

The only reason why I didn't rate it 5 stars was because of the start, it's a little slow with a whole lot of information all at once a bit difficult to navigate but well written otherwise. I would definitely rank this book as a 'must have'.

Dark Fall: The Journal
Dark Fall: The Journal
Offered by Rainy Day Games
Price: CDN$ 9.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 9.95

1.0 out of 5 stars This game sucked....., Nov. 28 2005
This review is from: Dark Fall: The Journal (CD-ROM)
I really hate using the work "suck" to describe something but this particular game does suck... it even goes beyond. While some people might like it, I certainly don't. At first it was intriguing then after awhile it became a drain and utterly boring to even think about playing. I think this is the first time I ever actually fell asleep while playing a game.
The idea of the game it well plotted and thought out, however it lacks in a few areas 1) Everything you read or see must be written and copied out (not a huge thing but annoying none the less) 2) Repetative and finicky (You must move the cursor to this point exactly in order to pick up this item or even see the other entry way.. yada yada yada) 3) Way too much useless yammering by the "spirits" and if you miss their message you may have to go back to a previous save in order to hear it again (YAY... more repetition)
If you don't like repetition... don't play it.

King Of Foxes: Conclave of Shadows: Book Two
King Of Foxes: Conclave of Shadows: Book Two
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 8.54
74 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Read 1-3 before you rate this book... seriously, Sept. 2 2005
I have just finished book 3, it explains Book 1 and Book 2 in this series so well without even refering to the books themselves. SO now that I have a deeper understanding of the story line I can give this book a much better rating than I might have without reading Exile's Return.
I had stated in my review of Book 1 (Talon of the Silver Hawk), that Talon is just a tool, a literary sword of sorts to begin the story but he is not the major focus. The character Talon is just the stage dressing, the sub-plot is actually where most of the interesting stuff.
I found King of Foxes rather interesting and well thought out because I was trying to figure out the story behind the story and Feist is very adept at hiding a tale within a tale.
I recommend this book highly although most people wouldn't agree with me, for them I recommend re-reading both 1 & 2 again and see if you can't find the sub-plot that I am talking about.
Please do add this too your collection as the story progresses it will be worth it.

Talon Of The Silver Hawk: Conclave Of Shadows: Book One
Talon Of The Silver Hawk: Conclave Of Shadows: Book One
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting set up...., Aug. 1 2004
I think what a lot of people are missing is while Talon is not as fleshed out as he could be for one of R.E.'s main characters this book has an interesting set up for future possibilities for Raymond's work, not only has he touched on what had previously happened in the Serpent War saga and drawn it in progressively for a good story base there is enough left out to make a reader wonder just what happened from the end of Shards to Conclave, I would sincerely love to see that book. However all that aside I am a lover of an author who does go beyond what the reader expects and tries out something new, Talon is not the average RE character, he's almost but not quite akin to Calis from the Serpent War saga to my mind, focused, singleminded and at the sametime confused and passionate. Lots of things built him up to be what he needs to be and what the Conclave molds him into, the whole thing to remember is Talon is a Tool and he is presented as such, the dynamics behind him is what makes this book a good read and although he does appear to be over powered in some instances, you begin to realize that he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. That gives anyone the advantage over anyone else.... It's a good read, try it out!