Profile for J. E. Ellis > Reviews

Content by J. E. Ellis

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

J. E. Ellis "dutch_lizard_queen" (Leiden, Netherlands (Europe))

Hits
Hits
Price: CDN$ 13.45
44 used & new from CDN$ 3.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Folk at its Finest, June 28 2003
This review is from: Hits (Audio CD)
Well I guess it's true..... what Janet Jackson said on her Velvel Rope Album: 'Joni Mitchell never lies...'.
I picked up this CD yesterday after having seen a documentary on Joni the night before on television.
I knew about her, and I definitely had heard many of her songs (be it covers) yet I had never listened to her actual versions.
Well beter late than never I've tune in and have been turned on....
I'm a radio.
This album is a good 'first listen' for anyone new to Joni's style and music. It's true to the soul and good for the mind. It makes you stop and think and I like that....
Some of my favorites on the album:
- Chelsea morning
- California
- Woodstock
- River
- Come in from the cold
Ofcourse all of the tracks are more than worthy but these most clearly stand out.
From now on I'm tuned in on Joni....get with it people!

Slicker Than Your Average
Slicker Than Your Average
Offered by moviemars-canada
Price: CDN$ 3.49
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sophomore effort, Nov. 20 2002
This album shows Craig in a new more mature light. Sure he still writes about the ladies (now he's comparing them to ice-cream in 'What's your Flava!'). But he also ventures into new territory. This results in a collaboration with Sting (on 'Rise and Fall')and more explicit lyrics.
A sure fire hit will be the ballad 'You don't miss your water (till the well runs dry)';sensitive yet straightforward.
All in all a good album with ripping beats and also the vintage UK garage sound we all got to know and love Craig for [on the first album]. There's growth here and that's what's so important.
Through the grapevine heard that Justin Timberlake is interested in working with the UK wonderkind. Could be interesting.
To conclude... I do recommend this album to anyone who's into honest R&B and slamming UK garage beats...
IT'S YOUR FLAVA

Justified
Justified
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 26.25
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Eclectic Paradise, Nov. 9 2002
This review is from: Justified (Audio CD)
Where to start... but to say that JT came through on the promises he made earlier this year. This album would be totally different from the 'N Sync stuff he had been doing and thereby more in line with his own musical preferences. Well.. he hooked up with the best in the business (Timbaland :'Mr. JT now what you got for me' and the Neptunes: 'Let me introduce a friend of mine... and he goes by the name..Justin).
Justin made a true daring leap of faith and risk by making (and co-writing) this album. To me it showed courage and strength.This CD won't leave my player for some time:
1. Senorita -- 'have to hear it a few times before really getting it'
2. Like I love you -- 'needs no introduction; great catchy song with nice staccatos'
3. (Oh no) What you got -- 'one of the best songs on the album, nice oriental beat (vintage Timbaland) combined with smashing vocals and lyrics (vintage Timberlake)'
4. Take it from here -- 'Okay song not brilliant but easy listening all the same'
5.Cry me a river -- 'again haunting beat with good hard hitting lyrics'
6.Rock your body -- 'good song, heavily borrowed though from MJ's glory years in the eighties'
7.Nothin'Else 'best ballad on the album, killer vibe with that beat and the add libs of Justin or on the money'
8. Last Night -- 'nice Neptunes stigma; Justin does the lyrics Justice, totally Justified'
9.Still on the brain -- 'not too crazy about this song; guess Justin went a little overboard on the eclectic beat here'
10.(And she said) Take me now -- 'slamming start of the song, Janets soft angelic vocals are a bonus, the track's got Jacksons written all over it though, but that's alright'
11.Right for me-- 'great song, gripping beats and strong unmistakeble directive lyrics, like that'.
12. Let's take a ride -- 'up beat, again guaranteed to keep you moving'
13. Never again -- 'good 'you did me wrong' song with breathtaking timing of vocals, Justin hits it on the nose and 'she only had to apologize' well what's that about... I wonder'.
All in all great effort and (in my opinion)'grammy nomination'material. He went out and approaced the craft 'out of the norm' Got to love that.....
GO OUT AND BUY IT!!!

George Michael:Best of George
George Michael:Best of George
DVD ~ DVD
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 16.46
31 used & new from CDN$ 8.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Masterful Collection, Aug. 3 2002
Now I've been a fan from way back in the day. I mean when George was
still this insecure half of the great 'Wham'. I was nuts about that group. Well even then George's talents were ample and very apparent.
This DVD is a must for every lover of 'great, unique'songs. His
tunes personify "POP", sometimes even "Dirty POP", which is the best. The lyrics truly entail meaning and truths that everyone can and should relate to. He is the true genius of his time and comtempories.
Enjoy the music and the masterfully done videos. It's worth the cash you spent, and more it's ENTERTAINMENT.

Celebrity
Celebrity
Offered by _betterworldbooks_
Price: CDN$ 6.16
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars "A+" FOR CREATIVE GROWTH, Aug. 8 2001
This review is from: Celebrity (Audio CD)
Well... was this album highly anticipated or what? As soon as I received this disc I played it and I was completely and utterly surprised( in a good way). 'N Sync, in my honest opinion, as a vocal entity, have grown immensely. Musically the songs diver enough, not to get bored within two times of playing them. Lots of new and modern beats and rythms have been incorperated. The title song 'Celebrity' is fresh and upbeat and it also holds a message; in that same catagory I would place 'the Game is over'. The ballads, especially 'Something like you' and 'Gone', are intens as well as catchy. I like the way JC and Justin have developped as singers/songwriters; check the song Justin wrote called 'Girlfriend': totally POP. These guys mean business and don't like playing around. They've surrounded themselves yet again with the hottest producers and even included their hot choreographer Wade Robson into the mix. This album rocks, it's got something for everyone and for all the non-believers out there: 'Worry bout yours.. because the truth remains..' 'N Sync are here to stay...

Live at Madison Square Garden [Import]
Live at Madison Square Garden [Import]
VHS
2 used & new from CDN$ 142.49

5.0 out of 5 stars TUNE IN OR MISS OUT..., Dec 18 2000
I'm an 'N Sync fan from Day 1 and everytime they seem to top the effort made before... No kiddin', this Live Concert HAS IT ALL... I live in the Netherlands, Europe and I had to send for this video but is was well worth it. Excellence spats off the screen from the first second till the last breath.... The energy is absolutely consuming and you won't be able to take your eyes off the set. Now I knew Justin was talented but what this guy does with the beatboxing caper is 'OUT OF THIS WORLD'. Also the close harmonies are dead on ! Now for all of you non- believers out there..... IT'S TIME TO START BELIEVING in 'N SYNC. They are THE REAL THING and if you don't tune in now you'll miss out ! Get the video or DVD....

No Strings Attached
No Strings Attached
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 22.95
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars N Sync Second to None, March 29 2000
This review is from: No Strings Attached (Audio CD)
I just LOVE this album; it's a great mixture of absolutely many, many styles. Bye, bye, bye is a great song, yet I don't find it the best on the album. All songs bring a different "feel" to you when you listen to it. The vocals by Justin and JC are so reckognizable yet they've grown from the first album. Fat beats, combined with touching melodical moments make this cd a true collector's item. I'm not kidding. A song like "No strings attached" is just amazing; the ballad written by Richard Marx, " This I promise you" has so much emotions and feelings in the vocals that is sends chills down my spine. If you don't already own this album make sure you get it soon. It'll enrich you musically no doubt and remember N Sync are second to none; the Backstreet Boys may truly take a step back and observe true artists...