Profile for Betsy > Reviews

Content by Betsy

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Betsy (mn)

Page: 1 | 2
White Christmas (Widescreen)
White Christmas (Widescreen)
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 47.34
20 used & new from CDN$ 2.72

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm dreaming of people lightening up!, Dec 17 2003
This review is from: White Christmas (Widescreen) (DVD)
I would classify this movie as a great christmas classic. Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye sound great and look awesome as the sing and Dance their way through this nostalgic family holiay favorite. true, this movie is predictable, but what movie from that time period isn't? This movie is a feel-good movie that leaves you feeling warm and fuzzy, and all-around Christmasy.
I can't believe how many people have written cynical remarks regarding this film, all I can say to all of them is this- LIGHTEN UP! I read one review from someone who said they hated this movie because Bing Crosby was a child abuser. This is not true. He was a strict father, but no abuser of children, and even if he were, this is no reason not to watch a movie featuring him.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
7 used & new from CDN$ 5.67

5.0 out of 5 stars a swashbuckling thrill!, Dec 17 2003
I have seen this movie only once, and it is definitely my absolute favorite movie of the year.
The plot is exciting to the very end, shocking at times, and johnny depp is absolutely delicious as captain Jack Sparrow.
If you have never seen this movie, I sincerely reccomend trying it. It is suspenseful, thrilling, and jam-packed full of exciting special effects. The humor is absolutely perfect, and both Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp are WONDERFULL!

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Special Widescreen Extended Edition) (4 Discs)
DVD ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 16.79
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars One film to rule them all, Dec 17 2003
This movie was absolutely awesome.
I am fourteen years old, and I genuinely enjoyed this movie. Many of my friends said that it was too long and boring, I didn't think so at all. This is the kind of movie where you have to sit and pay attention so that you don't miss any of the subtleties of the film. I read the books two years ago, and I liked them. I was disappointed that such characters as Tom Bombadil weren't in the movie, but I guess you can't have everything. PLease at least RENT this movie, you won't be dissappointed.

Patch Adams (Full Screen)
Patch Adams (Full Screen)
DVD ~ Robin Williams
Offered by Round3CA
Price: CDN$ 4.58
15 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, Dec 17 2003
This review is from: Patch Adams (Full Screen) (DVD)
I think this movie was hilarious. Robin Williams, though a little old, made a very convincing Patch Adams. The story was solid and made sense throught the whole movie. One of the downsides of this movie is that at times it gets a little sappy- AND obscene. I would have preferred if they had cleaned up the language a little- and- well, the scene where Robing(AS PAtch) decorates the hospital entrance as a woman's widespread legs, WELL!
If it were cleaned up, I would give it 10 stars out of five.
(Do the math. it works.)

Road to Morocco
Road to Morocco
5 used & new from CDN$ 1.98

5.0 out of 5 stars They're Off on the road to Morocco!, May 19 2003
This review is from: Road to Morocco (VHS Tape)
This movie is really great. Bob, Bing, And Dorothy are, once again, in a strange world. This time it is a world of wealthy sheiks, desert princesses, and men who will buy a guys pal so you can pay for lunch. (The guy being Bing and the pal being Bob). After selling Bob, Bing's conscience gets the better of him, and he sets of in search of his friend. He recieves a note from the missing party telling how he is being horribly tortured. This hardens bob's resolution. Imagine his shock when he finds out the Bob is being treated like a king, and he is going to marry the beautiful Princess(Dorothy Lamour). The rest is history. It's full of chases, inside jokes, ad-libs, and a hilarious song where the boys and a mirage of Dorothy sing 'Moonlight becomes you' in each other's voices. My favorite song was 'Road to Morocco', And the scene where Bob becomes a "Full-fledged american idiot" Is priceless.A teriffic movie.

Court Jester, the
Court Jester, the

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, April 13 2003
This review is from: Court Jester, the (VHS Tape)
This movie is a gem. Danny Kaye plays Hubert Hawkins, Who joins up with a band of Robin Hood Clones in order to place the Real king (The baby with the Birthmark on his bottom) on the throne. He ends up getting into the palace, where he meets Sir Ravenhurst (Basil Rathbone), the Evil Bad guy. The Whole movie is a jumble of hilarious medeival misunderstandings The songs are awesome. The best part in the whole movie is the fencing scene at the end. I laughed SO hard!
I highly reccommend it.

David Copperfield [Import]
David Copperfield [Import]
4 used & new from CDN$ 24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet movie, April 13 2003
A really good movie. Freddie Bartholemew plays young David Copperfield, a boy who lost his father, and whose only relations are his doting mother and his spunky aunt Betsey Trotwood. His nurse Peggoty (I think I spelled it right-) Takes him on a trip to visit her relatives by the ocean. When they return, His mother has married Mr. Murdstone. (Basil Rathbone in a role that sends shivers up my spine)His mother dies, Mr Murdstone sends him away to work in London and board with Mr Micawber ,(WC Fields), Who is constantly hounded by his creditors. Micawber ends up moving, and David goes to live with Aunt Betsey. The second half (When David grows up) Is not nearly as good as the first, Its one redeeming value is 'Umble Uriah Heep (Roland Young). He is truly revolting. (As Uriah Heep SHOULD be).
I reccommend you try it.

Harvey
Harvey
3 used & new from CDN$ 1.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Well maybe it's just a feel-good movie. I love it, anyway., April 7 2003
This review is from: Harvey (VHS Tape)
Several people have said that 'Harvey' is just a feel-good movie. I strongly disagree- There is no 'Just' about it. A feel good movie can be very valuable, and this one is Priceless. Jimmy Stewart is AWESOME as Elwood P. Dowd. The lady who plays Veta Louise, his older sister, is really good too. The only handicap in this movie is the Phsychiatrist. His whole character makes me sort of perturbed, though for the life of me I don't know why. The plot goes something like this-
Elwood P Dowd is a friendly alcoholic who has an 'imaginary' friend- a 6 foot 3 and a half inch white rabbit named Harvey. Elwood, with his bunny buddy lives with his sister, Veta Louise and her daughter Myrtle Mae. Veta is upset because 'Harvey' is ruining her chances of getting Myrtle started in social life. She tries to commit Elwood to an Asylum, but, through a comedy of errors, She ends up being comitted herself. Eventually, things get straightened out and Elwood gets a chance to learn that Harvey isn't really real- or IS he?
A real sweet movie. Perfect for a day when everything's going wrong.

3 used & new from CDN$ 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's completely loverly., Feb. 13 2003
This review is from: My Fair Lady 64 (VHS Tape)
A heartwarming movie. Rex harrison and Audrey Hepburn PLay awesomely together. The songs are great, but no words can do justice to this movie's grace. The covent garden scene is one of the best in the movie. If you like movies such as Oliver, Breakfast at Tiffany's or any of the Rodgers and Hammerstein's, then you will love this movie. Perfect for the days when it's cold, rainy, and you just want a cup of coffee and a snuggle.

3 used & new from CDN$ 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's completely loverly., Feb. 13 2003
This review is from: My Fair Lady 64 (VHS Tape)
A heartwarming movie. Rex harrison and Audrey Hepburn PLay awesomely together. The songs are great, but no words can do justice to this movie's grace. The covent garden scene is one of the best in the movie. If you like movies such as oliver, breakfast at tiffany's or and of the rosgers and hammerstein's, then you will love this movie. Perfect for the days when it's cold, rainy, and you just want a cup of coffee and a snuggle.

Page: 1 | 2