Profile for neerod > Reviews

Content by neerod

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"neerod" (Sacramento, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Like gold refined
Like gold refined
by Janette Oke
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars CHERISH THIS BOOK!!, Sept. 15 2001
This review is from: Like gold refined (Hardcover)
If I could rate this book higher I would!! Janette Oke has long been a favorite author of mine. I have read most all of her books with her "Love Comes Softly" series my all-time favorite. I was thrilled to see her begin a new series with the granddaughter of Clark and Marty. But when I read the first book several years ago, I was less than enthused. Recently I saw this had become "The Praire Legacy" series, so I re-read Book 1 and continued with the series. Once again, these books are heartwarming and should be cherished forever. In "Like Gold Refined" we see Virginia as a young wife and mother coping with life changes ... not always easy. Along with the ups and downs of everyday life comes a bitter and hard-fought custody battle over Mindy, the daughter of Virginia's childhood friend Jenny. Mindy has lived with Virginia and Jonathon since she was a toddler when Jenny leaves her with the young couple. I was gripped by the story and was inspired not only by Virginia's faith through these circumstances but moreso with little Mindy's strong faith to bring her wayward Mama Jenny to the Lord. I experienced so many emotions, from laughing,crying, comfort and anguish. I rejoiced at the conclusion. It is my hope that Janette Oke will continue on with Mindy's story (possibly a new series of books). Thank you for blessing our lives with the story of Clark and Marty and their many offspring.

Buried Evidence
Buried Evidence
by Nancy Taylor Rosenberg
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Escape into this book!!, Aug. 12 2001
This review is from: Buried Evidence (Hardcover)
There is a lot of criticism of this book from other readers, but since it is a new author for me, I have to say I enjoyed it!! I would suggest to those who have not read this author -- give her a chance!! There are several ideas and plots going on in the book. This book did hold my interest and I found myself coming back to it each evening, tho at times I will admit to feeling a bit of confusion with some passages. If you are an expert regarding legal and investigation techniques and forensic science investigation, maybe you will find this book less than credible. I read it for the enjoyment and escapism!

This review is from: Fulfillment (Paperback)
I did enjoy this book, but it wasn't my favorite LaVyrle Spencer book. Jonathon and his brother Aaron share their family farm in Minnesota. Mary is married to Jonathon but they are childless after 7 years of marriage. After much thought, Jonathon suggests that his brother father his child, since he is unable to. Although the three of them have lived a happy life on the farm, this idea puts a strain on their relationship. When Jonathan leaves home for a few days to purchase a prize bull, the relationship between Mary and Aaron is ignited and the predictable happens. While at first I found this storyline rather appalling, it is interesting to read. My interest picked up and I read on eagerly to the conclusion. The story held my interest and I would recommend it to other readers. I particularly enjoy Spencers historical and prairie stories and most readers will not be disappointed in this book.

This review is from: Fulfillment (Paperback)
I did enjoy this book, but it wasn't my favorite LaVyrle Spencer book. Jonathon and his brother Aaron share their family farm in Minnesota. Mary is married to Jonathon but they are childless after 7 years of marriage. After much thought, Jonathon suggests that his brother father his child, since he is unable to. Although the three of them have lived a happy life on the farm, this idea puts a strain on their relationship. When Jonathan leaves home for a few days to purchase a prize bull, the relationship between Mary and Aaron is ignited and the predictable happens. While at first I found this storyline rather appalling, it does become beliveable. My interest picked up and I read on eagerly to the conclusion. The story held my interest and I would recommend it to other readers. I particularly enjoy Spencers historical and prairie stories and most readers will not be disappointed in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not a favorite !!, Aug. 12 2001
This review is from: Fulfillment (Paperback)
I did enjoy this book, but it wasn't my favorite LaVyrle Spencer book. Jonathon and his brother Aaron share their family farm in Minnesota. Mary and Jonathon are married but childless after 7 years of marriage. Jonathon suggests that his brother father his child, since he is unable to. Although the three of them have lived a happy life on the farm, this idea puts a strain on their relationship. When Jonathan leaves home for a few days to purchase a prize bull, the relationship between Mary and Aaron is ignited and the predictable happens. While at first I found this storyline rather appalling, it does become beliveable. My interest picked up and I read on eagerly to the conclusion. The story held my interest and I would recommend it to other readers. I particularly enjoy Spencers historical and prairie stories and most readers will not be disappointed in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not a favorite !!, Aug. 12 2001

Deep In The Heart
Deep In The Heart
by Barbara Bickmore
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, AMBITION & CHOICES, July 31 2001
I have been a fan of Barbara Bickmore historical novels, so I wasn't sure how I would like a contemporary story by her. As I read further into the book, I enjoyed the story more and more. The story begins in 1961. Teenager Carly Anderson is popular and happy in Los Angeles, when her mother decides to move away from that fast-paced life. They stop in a hick town in Texas -- Verity, TX. and there they decide to begin a new life. Carly is beautiful and bright and graduates from high school as class valadictorian. After high school, she works at Verity's only bank and learns the business quickly. Having had her heart broken by her high-school love, Boomer Bannerman, she heads for Houston and the big city life. Once there she enters the real estate profession and becomes successful in a profession dominated primarily by men. This story shows us a woman with ambition and goals. It is also a love story; of Carly's love for 3 very different men and the choices and decisions she must make to find true happiness. I am surprised this book has a 1 star rating. Barbara Bickmore writes a story that will keep you intersted without a lot of foul language or sexually explicit writing. This was a good story that kept me coming back each day to read more. I recommend the book and author, though Barbara Bickmore is hard to find in bookstores!

Don't Turn Your Back on the Ocean
Don't Turn Your Back on the Ocean
by Janet Dawson
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.72

4.0 out of 5 stars DIVE INTO THIS BOOK!, July 12 2001
Jeri Howard, private investigator is in Monterey for a restful vacation (or so she hopes)! But she immediately finds herself in the middle of several mysteries -- mutilated pelicans, mysterious accidents at a trendy restaurant and her own cousin accused of murder! This book keeps you interested and moves along at a good pace. Having visited the Monterey/Carmel area, I enjoyed the familiarity of sites mentioned. I am a new reader of female p.i stories but highly recommend this book to others who enjoy this type mystery. I'm glad there are several more Jeri Howard mysteries waiting to be read!!

Moon Below
Moon Below
by Barbara Bickmore
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A BEAUTIFUL STORY, May 21 2001
This review is from: Moon Below (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a beautiful story. I have recommended it to my friends and family. This is the story of Hallie, who travels to the "wilds" of Australia to become the wife of a man she knew briefly as a young girl. Altho she is traveling to the otherside of the world, she sees this as an opportunity to leave the dreariness of her life in England. I admired the independence of Hallie. Though she is dependent on her husband in the beginning, she is strong-willed and determined to succeed in everything she does. This is a story you can't put down and you hate to see end! I love Barbara Bickmore books, but they are hard to find. Check the library and used bookstores! Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2