Profile for Brenda Pink > Reviews

Content by Brenda Pink
Top Reviewer Ranking: 280

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Brenda Pink "snorkelgeek" (Lethbridge, AB, CAN)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
1000 Dot-to-Dot: Animals
1000 Dot-to-Dot: Animals
by Thomas Pavitte
Price: CDN$ 12.96
22 used & new from CDN$ 8.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, Jan. 11 2015
These are fun and challenging to do. The dots are colour coded to sections of numbers, which helps since the numbers are very small. My only complaint is that some of the colours are hard to distinguish. I have good eyesight, but went to the dollar store and picked up a sheet magnifier to make sure I found the right dots. You'll also need very good light, and a straight edge - a small metal ruler will do.

Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Scent by for Women Refreshing Body Lotion, 16.8-Ounce/500ml.
Price: CDN$ 31.05
14 used & new from CDN$ 23.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the scent, Jan. 11 2015
I love the scent of this lotion. It's very soft and light and not obtrusive. I have used other green tea lotions, but most are no longer available, so was very glad to find this. This is a large bottle (500ml) for a good price.

Final Touch Boil Guard Spill Stopper, Kochblume, Medium (Red)
Final Touch Boil Guard Spill Stopper, Kochblume, Medium (Red)
Offered by FinalTouch
Price: CDN$ 25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It DOES work!, Jan. 11 2015
I had been asking around to try and find someone who had tried this gizmo. Without any luck. I finally caved in and got one. It works great! The middle part vents the steam to prevent boil over and I use it mostly on rice. The foamy rice water doesn't even get to the top of the pot. I have a glass top stove, so this will save a ton of clean up in the kitchen. Note that the guard has to hang over the edge of the pot, so make sure you get one big enough.

The Bone Woman: A Forensic Anthropologist's Search for Truth in the Mass Graves of Rwanda, Bosnia, Croatia, and Kosovo
by Clea Koff
33 used & new from CDN$ 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars historical murder mysteries, Nov. 13 2014
I approached this book expecting to read a lot of technical detail about the exhumation of mass graves in former war zones. There wasn't a huge amount of technical detail, but the book was a fascinating read. However, I agree with some reviewers that too much attention was paid to criticizing her superiors at the work site. Bearing in mind, the author was a young person just out of school and in fact her career started while still in school. So was it strange that she'd criticize her superiors? Maybe not. I know that some of that criticism detracted from the tasks at hand, although legitimately, she was talking about her experiences. As to the lack of emotion from the author? Think about the job to be done. If one were emotional, one would quickly go insane. She does talk about a few things that set off her emotions, and her thinking about the victims and what they were going through. I do find it comical that virtually every book I've read on this topic points to the fact, and yes I'm stereotyping, that forensic anthropologists all have very healthy egos!

In all, this was a very interesting book. It outlines some of the logistics of performing this sort of work in conditions that are most decidedly not ideal. She also does outline some of the history behind the wars - most of which I was not aware of, and found that helpful and interesting. The difference between this book and others is that Koff has worked at sites of mass graves. These stories aren't just a murder here and a killing there. Thousands of bodies had to be excavated from these graves, identified and repatriated with family. It shows the terrible history mankind has in conflict.

I found it interesting to read about some areas of the world that I have myself visited, knowing what the people are like there and now knowing what some of them went through. Having been there, it was also fun to read of some of the author's off-day side trips and realize she had the same views and experiences I did in the region - from the greasy cevapi to the rocky beach at Bol.

This book also points out how much of their life these forensic anthropologists give up to do this necessary, but difficult work. These are the people that write history - with the facts. Not the governments and not the media.

Aerobie Aeropress Coffee Maker With Tote Bag
Aerobie Aeropress Coffee Maker With Tote Bag
Offered by Liquid Planet Online
Price: CDN$ 30.70
9 used & new from CDN$ 30.70

1.0 out of 5 stars don't bother, Oct. 8 2014
There are several problems with this method of brewing coffee. First of all, you have to purchase specialized filters. Or, a stainless steel reuseable filter. I purchased the ss filter and had a hard time fitting it into the chamber. I eventually basically had to force the fit. The second problem is that it takes a very long time to make a larger mug of coffee. The chamber is very small, so if you make a larger mug, or if you like your coffee stronger, the chamber starts filling with grounds, meaning you have to refill several times to get enough water to drip through. This makes it a chore to measure amounts of water vs grounds. The dripping through is a very very slow process - while you are waiting to refill with water. The system is designed basically as a syringe to force the water through, not to drip. I found myself dumping the contents of the syringe into a regular drip coffee filter because I couldn't stand the wait. The compression of the barrel takes a lot of hand strength, and several times, the contraption flipped off the mug and I ended up with a mess. This is basically a glorified french press with severe limitations. I eventually gave mine away. For traveling I'd prefer to use filter paper bags or a travel mug fitted with a french press. For home brewing, I now use a vac pot, which works 1000X better.

Big Mouth Toys The Recycling Bin Mug
Big Mouth Toys The Recycling Bin Mug
Price: CDN$ 11.99
15 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but not worth it, Oct. 8 2014
This is a cute mug that gets a lot of comments. However, the mug is small, stains easily and the paint is wearing off quickly.

Across the Ravaged Land
Across the Ravaged Land
by Nick Brandt
Price: CDN$ 43.89
33 used & new from CDN$ 33.01

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful but devastating, Oct. 8 2014
This is, at once, a devastating, yet beautiful book. Beautiful because Brandt captures the beauty in African landscapes and wildlife. Devastating because he also captures the decline. His composition is stark, yet truthful, and will make any who glance through the pages, really consider their roles to play in the ravaging the land.

On the Road to Rarotonga: You Gave Up Your Careers to Do What?
On the Road to Rarotonga: You Gave Up Your Careers to Do What?
by Jack L. Varney
Price: CDN$ 29.40
14 used & new from CDN$ 22.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, Oct. 8 2014
This is a wonderful book filled with anecdotes about living on Rarotonga in the Cook Islands. I read this before traveling to Raro myself and was excited to be able to encounter/experience some of the same things mentioned in the book. This is a quick read that will bring a few smiles to your face, even if you never go there yourself.

Nintendo 3DS - Pearl Pink - Standard Edition
Nintendo 3DS - Pearl Pink - Standard Edition
Offered by Wulf Electronics
Price: CDN$ 239.99
10 used & new from CDN$ 161.62

4.0 out of 5 stars great, but heavier than older versions, Oct. 8 2014
I got this as a replacement for my old Nintendo and it's great. It has a lot more bells and whistles than I need, but will be fun to play around with - 3D camera, wireless capability. My only complaint is that it is a fair bit heavier than my old unit and sometimes causes my hands to cramp while holding it for any length of time.

The Absent One: A Department Q Novel
The Absent One: A Department Q Novel
by Jussi Adler-Olsen
Price: CDN$ 12.27
40 used & new from CDN$ 9.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Great author, hooked on the first page, Oct. 8 2014
This author has become one of my favourites. The Q department is a "throw-away" department formed when a cop goes awry and the police chief needs to figure out what to do with him. The chief puts the cop in charge of a department that only looks into cold cases. As might be expected, the Q department begins having some success. This is a great series with believable characters and stories that hook you on the first page. Adler-Olsen is very easy to read. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9