Profile for Brenda Pink > Reviews

Content by Brenda Pink
Top Reviewer Ranking: 238

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Brenda Pink "snorkelgeek" (Lethbridge, AB, CAN)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Publisher 2013 English (1PC/1User) (PC Key Card)
Publisher 2013 English (1PC/1User) (PC Key Card)
Price: CDN$ 119.00
24 used & new from CDN$ 119.00

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, Sept. 3 2014
Publisher is one of the top rated publishing softwares. One of the others is Serif. I downloaded a free trial version of Serif. The Serif software may have more bells and whistles, but it was not intuitive to use at all. Publisher will get the job done just fine as long as you don't want anything ultra fancy. It will be easy to learn especially if you use MS Word. There are a few things it won't do - you can't make your own bullets (which you can do even in Word), you can't easily align text boxes as a group, and there are limited available templates. However, with a bit of tweaking you can take a template and personalize it yourself. Another thing that is a bit aggravating is you can't just scroll to the next page in say, a newsletter, you have to click to get to the next page. I'm still learning how to tweak documents, but it was easy to come up with a professional looking newsletter in a few short hours. Highly recommended as an easy-to-use, basic publishing software.

Bodum Santos Stovetop Glass Vacuum 34-Ounce Coffee Maker
Bodum Santos Stovetop Glass Vacuum 34-Ounce Coffee Maker
Offered by grabthesale
Price: CDN$ 147.76
3 used & new from CDN$ 147.76

5.0 out of 5 stars great coffee maker, WAY too expensive, Sept. 3 2014
This works great and is my preferred brew method at the moment. However, do not buy it for this price. This is easily double what you should pay for it. Look for other vendors.

Contrary to what others may have found, I found the coarser grind actually caused the filter to plug worse. I've gone with a finer grind. It takes a little longer to drain back through, but it doesn't plug. And I do not have any problem with finer grinds being filtered into the bottom chamber. So play with the grind and find what works for you. If the filter DOES plug, simply put the pot back on the heat until you get the eruption in the upper chamber and then off the heat again to drain.

I find the best results are to let the coffee "brew" for 30-60 seconds after the eruption in the top chamber. The flavour is more full-bodied then and the filtering seems to work better. Since the coffee itself is not on direct heat (coffee stays in the upper chamber until taken off the heat), there is no worry about a burned flavour and the hottest temp you get in the coffee is 212F, which is the perfect brew temp.

No extra filters are needed, the filter is built into the vac pot.

My only complaint is the handle is a bit flimsy. A bit freaky when the handle bends while you are carrying a full pot, but so far it has held.

Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black
Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black
Offered by grabthesale
Price: CDN$ 216.70
2 used & new from CDN$ 216.70

3.0 out of 5 stars It started out great, Aug. 7 2014
This grinder started out great. It was quiet, it ground very fine. Even a pebble in some coffee brought back from Jamaica didn't hinder it. Then suddenly it started acting up. I couldn't get it to grind fine even at the finest setting. A couple of times, I was able to "restore" the fine grind, by taking the hopper out and simply putting it back on. But now that trick has stopped working. So I can no longer get fine grind. It's also a very messy grinder with static all over the place and fines that fly out all over the floor and counter. I realize some of this is dependent on the coffee itself, but as a general rule, all coffees seem to become static-y in this grinder. I love the look. I love the quiet grind. But I've just purchased a new grinder to replace this one.

I Remember You
I Remember You
by Yrsa Sigurdardottir
Price: CDN$ 11.54
21 used & new from CDN$ 4.28

5.0 out of 5 stars A chiller, Aug. 7 2014
This review is from: I Remember You (Paperback)
Sigurdardottir is a very good author that I've recently discovered. This book is a chiller. I like thrillers and this certainly fits the bill.

Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Green

by Allison Robicelli
Price: CDN$ 23.20
30 used & new from CDN$ 12.09

5.0 out of 5 stars killer recipes, May 18 2014
These recipes are killer. Some of the frosting recipes are more involved than the cupcake recipes, but believe me, well worth the effort. Do yourself a favour and try some of them. Also be creative and swap out frostings and toppings with different cupcakes. I had to do this because of limited ingredients I had in the house and the result was amazing. Not for the faint hearted, these recipes will give you cupcakes to die for, not cupcakes for the diet conscious.

Vintage Teatime (Women's Institute) (2012)
Vintage Teatime (Women's Institute) (2012)
by unknown
4 used & new from CDN$ 20.14

3.0 out of 5 stars beware measurements, May 18 2014
This is a good book. Has some basic recipes, although nothing outstanding. Be aware that this book is printed in the UK, so ingredient measurements are in oz and g, so if using it in the US or Canada, conversions will be needed. Not a problem for me as I have a scale, but others may want to be aware of this if they don't want to be bothered. Also some of the ingredients listed are listed in a dumb way - eg. 1 small tin sweetened condensed milk. Before using this recipe, I had to look up what the size of a small tin of sweetened condensed milk was in the UK. Also dumb listing it this way because tin sizes change over the years. Tins of sweetened condensed milk changed sizes in Canada several years ago so a listing by volume or weight is preferable, rather than "tin size".

Salton Food Dehydrator, White
Salton Food Dehydrator, White

3.0 out of 5 stars works but plastic breaks, May 11 2014
I opted for this cheaper model of deyhdrator to see if I could create my own dog treats. The dehydrater works great. It's relatively quiet - though every once in awhile the fan seems to get out of alignment and makes awful noises. It dries really quickly. However, almost immediately the trays started cracking. The manual says the trays are dishwasher safe, but I wouldn't take a chance. The trays cracked in numerous places and in some cases, big chunks of the grid on the bottom were starting to crack off. I took about 1-2 hours one day and glued them all back together so they are limping along, but I don't think they are going to have a long life. I will use this until the trays disintegrate and then will probably upgrade to a metal shelf one.

Swimways Spring Float SunSeat - Blue/Aqua
Swimways Spring Float SunSeat - Blue/Aqua
Offered by dealkings
Price: CDN$ 78.84

5.0 out of 5 stars use all the time, April 6 2014
I use this chair all the time, but I warn people against this price, which is outrageous. This is double what it should be.

PTX Vol. 1
PTX Vol. 1
Price: CDN$ 6.99
9 used & new from CDN$ 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Talented group, but .., Feb. 15 2014
This review is from: PTX Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
I became a fan of this group when I watched Sing Off. Off all the groups I'd seen on that show, this one seemed to have the most potential. Where I was disappointed was in the song choice. My mistake was in not listening to sound clips before purchasing this CD. The music is borderline hip hop and pop-ish. I much preferred their Christmas album.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8