Profile for Brenda Pink > Reviews

Content by Brenda Pink
Top Reviewer Ranking: 215

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Brenda Pink "snorkelgeek" (Lethbridge, AB, CAN)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Aerobie Aeropress Coffee Maker With Tote Bag
Aerobie Aeropress Coffee Maker With Tote Bag
Offered by Canada Imports
Price: CDN$ 34.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 30.70

1.0 out of 5 stars don't bother, Oct. 8 2014
There are several problems with this method of brewing coffee. First of all, you have to purchase specialized filters. Or, a stainless steel reuseable filter. I purchased the ss filter and had a hard time fitting it into the chamber. I eventually basically had to force the fit. The second problem is that it takes a very long time to make a larger mug of coffee. The chamber is very small, so if you make a larger mug, or if you like your coffee stronger, the chamber starts filling with grounds, meaning you have to refill several times to get enough water to drip through. This makes it a chore to measure amounts of water vs grounds. The dripping through is a very very slow process - while you are waiting to refill with water. The system is designed basically as a syringe to force the water through, not to drip. I found myself dumping the contents of the syringe into a regular drip coffee filter because I couldn't stand the wait. The compression of the barrel takes a lot of hand strength, and several times, the contraption flipped off the mug and I ended up with a mess. This is basically a glorified french press with severe limitations. I eventually gave mine away. For traveling I'd prefer to use filter paper bags or a travel mug fitted with a french press. For home brewing, I now use a vac pot, which works 1000X better.

Big Mouth Toys The Recycling Bin Mug
Big Mouth Toys The Recycling Bin Mug
Price: CDN$ 11.99
8 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but not worth it, Oct. 8 2014
This is a cute mug that gets a lot of comments. However, the mug is small, stains easily and the paint is wearing off quickly.

Across the Ravaged Land
Across the Ravaged Land
by Nick Brandt
Price: CDN$ 43.89
37 used & new from CDN$ 35.94

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful but devastating, Oct. 8 2014
This is, at once, a devastating, yet beautiful book. Beautiful because Brandt captures the beauty in African landscapes and wildlife. Devastating because he also captures the decline. His composition is stark, yet truthful, and will make any who glance through the pages, really consider their roles to play in the ravaging the land.

On the Road to Rarotonga: You Gave Up Your Careers to Do What?
On the Road to Rarotonga: You Gave Up Your Careers to Do What?
by Jack L. Varney
Price: CDN$ 27.88
15 used & new from CDN$ 23.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, Oct. 8 2014
This is a wonderful book filled with anecdotes about living on Rarotonga in the Cook Islands. I read this before traveling to Raro myself and was excited to be able to encounter/experience some of the same things mentioned in the book. This is a quick read that will bring a few smiles to your face, even if you never go there yourself.

Nintendo 3DS - Pearl Pink - Standard Edition
Nintendo 3DS - Pearl Pink - Standard Edition
Offered by games-surplus
Price: CDN$ 199.99
10 used & new from CDN$ 166.18

4.0 out of 5 stars great, but heavier than older versions, Oct. 8 2014
I got this as a replacement for my old Nintendo and it's great. It has a lot more bells and whistles than I need, but will be fun to play around with - 3D camera, wireless capability. My only complaint is that it is a fair bit heavier than my old unit and sometimes causes my hands to cramp while holding it for any length of time.

The Absent One: A Department Q Novel
The Absent One: A Department Q Novel
by Jussi Adler-Olsen
Price: CDN$ 12.27
34 used & new from CDN$ 3.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Great author, hooked on the first page, Oct. 8 2014
This author has become one of my favourites. The Q department is a "throw-away" department formed when a cop goes awry and the police chief needs to figure out what to do with him. The chief puts the cop in charge of a department that only looks into cold cases. As might be expected, the Q department begins having some success. This is a great series with believable characters and stories that hook you on the first page. Adler-Olsen is very easy to read. Highly recommended.

Nielsen-Massey Vanillas Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste, 32 Ounce
Nielsen-Massey Vanillas Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste, 32 Ounce
Offered by Golda's Kitchen
Price: CDN$ 50.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great price, Oct. 8 2014
Love this vanilla. I only use this now instead of store bought vanilla extract. The paste seems to have more flavour and I love seeing the vanilla seeds in my baking. Seems expensive, but this is a very large bottle that goes a long way compared to the cost of pure vanilla in the stores.

Visconti Spectrum 36 Ladies Large Soft Leather Checkbook Wallet Purse (Black)
Visconti Spectrum 36 Ladies Large Soft Leather Checkbook Wallet Purse (Black)
Offered by KingsLeatherShop
Price: CDN$ 64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality, brilliant design, Oct. 8 2014
Absolutely love this wallet. Made of a very soft leather and the design is perfect for me. I like to have the top flap folded back so that I always have access to my cards without taking wallet out of purse, and this allows me to do that. The different coloured pockets make it easy to find things in a dark purse, and also just makes the wallet fun. A friend liked it so much that she is going to order her own.

BESTEK Portable charger universal adapter travel converter voltage 220V to 110V + UK/US/AU/EU plug + 4.2A four USB charging port for tablets,iPad,cell phone,iphone,samsung ect. MRJ201GU
Offered by CCDirect
Price: CDN$ 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for travel charging unit, Oct. 8 2014
Great gizmo to consolidate electronic charging. I needed a decent power bar for travel, that wasn't heavy, and wasn't three pronged, so that I could use it in other parts of the world. Most extension cords and power bars are three pronged. I stumbled on this and decided to give it a try. The gizmo is roughly the size of a paperback book, and is very light (probably lighter than the book!). It has 3 regular outlets, several USB ports and has a built in converter. The unit comes with a cord that has a european plug default, but it also comes with adapters so that you can use it throughout the world. I took this to the South Pacific for its first test and it passed with flying colours. I was in a very large room and the cord was long enough to reach just about anywhere I needed. I used it for my CPAP (mainly for cord extension), camera chargers, phone chargers and it worked well. My only minor complaint is that one of the 3 regular outlets takes a bit of jiggling to work, but once I knew that, it worked just fine. With this gizmo, I was able to consolidate an extension cord, power bar, converter and adaptors into one unit.

Publisher 2013 English (1PC/1User) (PC Key Card)
Publisher 2013 English (1PC/1User) (PC Key Card)
Price: CDN$ 119.00
24 used & new from CDN$ 119.00

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, Sept. 3 2014
Publisher is one of the top rated publishing softwares. One of the others is Serif. I downloaded a free trial version of Serif. The Serif software may have more bells and whistles, but it was not intuitive to use at all. Publisher will get the job done just fine as long as you don't want anything ultra fancy. It will be easy to learn especially if you use MS Word. There are a few things it won't do - you can't make your own bullets (which you can do even in Word), you can't easily align text boxes as a group, and there are limited available templates. However, with a bit of tweaking you can take a template and personalize it yourself. Another thing that is a bit aggravating is you can't just scroll to the next page in say, a newsletter, you have to click to get to the next page. I'm still learning how to tweak documents, but it was easy to come up with a professional looking newsletter in a few short hours. Highly recommended as an easy-to-use, basic publishing software.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9