Profile for Kenneth Garrett > Reviews

Content by Kenneth Garrett

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Kenneth Garrett (Kansas City, Missouri United States)

Transformers Armada:..Autobots
Transformers Armada:..Autobots
DVD ~ Various (Anime)
Price: CDN$ 83.09
9 used & new from CDN$ 24.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Battle to Save the Reputation of Transformers, July 13 2004
As an avid Generation 1 Transformers fan I must say that I am extremely disappointed with Armada and its successor Energon and must fully concur with all of the reviewers who have written prior to this entry.
Armada and Energon's plot are terrible at best. This is the first time since I watched Generation 1 and Beast Wars that I hoped that the Decepticons would destroy and obliterate the Autobots and their human sidekicks.
The humans in Armada and Energon are annoying and hold no special purpose. In comparison, Spike, Sparkplug and Chip from Generation 1 were not put in every episode in an attempt to try to help the Autobots. In many episodes in Generation 1, we did not see any human counterparts that played a pivotal part in deciding the victor of the battle between the Autobots and Decepticons. However, in Armada and Energon the Autobots cannot win without their human companions.
I disagree somewhat with the voice casting in Armada and Energon. In Generation 1 we had great voice actors for the Autobots and Decepticons. For example, Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, Chris Latta, Neil Ross, Michael Bell, Scatman Caruthers, Casey Kasem and other greats portrayed my heros that I have watched growing up. In Armada, I am pleased with the voice casting of Megatron (David Kayle), Optimus Prime (Gary Chalk), Hot Shot, Starscream, and Demolisher. Mr. Kayle has done an extremely wonderful job since he started with Megatron back in Beast Wars and the same complement is extended to Mr. Chalk, but the other voices are sub par at best. For example, Ironhide in Energon sounds like Carlos...ridiculous.
Real Transformers should be ashamed of the latest incarnations of the Transformers story line. I have not seen a suitable Transformers story since Beast Wars and Beast Machines and odds are that I never will again.
Now to the DVD review, first off I would like to congratulate Rhino for releasing box sets of Transformers Generation 1, Jem, and G.I. Joe. However, they completely destroyed the credibility of the Armada DVD's such as this release. For one, the DVD jumps from one episode to the next as opposed to going through the episodes in a sequential order, not that it would matter to me what order they put the episodes in because they were all bad.
In conclusion, the best thing about the Armada release is the cheap price. This DVD is selling for a cheap price because the Armada and Energon television show is a cheap product.
To the executives at Rhino STOP releasing Armada and Energon DVD's and release Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light also done by our friends at Sunbow and contains the same voice actors and writers who appeared in Generation 1 Transformers, Jem and G.I. Joe. Rhino please complete the Sunbow dynasty.

Transformers Armada: Flashbacks [Import]

Offered by newtownvideo_ca
Price: CDN$ 2.79
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Defective Volume 9, Jan. 1 2004
As with any other fan of DBGT I was excited to see this next saga of DBGT. However, as me and my friend Smithers watched the first volume of the Super 17 saga we were shocked to see that the DVD was defective do to the pixalation of the screen at four different parts of the DVD. I exchanged the DVD thinking that it was just my DVD that was causing the mysterious pixalation. However, after I exchanged the "defective DVD" I was suprised to see that the new DVD was pixalating at the same exact place as the first DVD. This is annoying and I hope Funimation corrects this mistake because I hate to pay money for a defective product.

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero!/The Revenge of Cobra [Import]
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero!/The Revenge of Cobra [Import]
DVD ~ Michael Bell
Price: CDN$ 146.85
8 used & new from CDN$ 19.98

5.0 out of 5 stars The G.I. Joe Series is Finally coming to DVD!!!, Jan. 22 2003
This DVD starts out with two great episodes.
In "A Real American Hero," the G.I. Joe team faces their greatest challenge ever. The ruthless, evil, terrorist organization named Cobra has developed a powerful device that allows them to turn objects into beams of energy and transport them anywhere in the world.
In the second feature "Revenge of the Cobra" Cobra commander steals a powerful device capable of changing the world's weather patterns, and uses it to launch an attack on Washington, D.C. Only the G.I. Joe team can stop him.
These two G.I. Joe movies are great and I cannot wait until more episodes from the series are released.

Transformers: Heroes [Import]
Transformers: Heroes [Import]
DVD ~ Frank Welker
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 56.01
8 used & new from CDN$ 5.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformers HERO'S real REBIRTH, June 25 2001
I received the corrected version of this DVD and it is excellent. Complete with scenes from the past episodes of the episode Rebirth and the future episodes of Rebirth from the cool narrator, this DVD is a must. This is the final episode ever shown in the United States of this classic show. One comment I would like to make. I do not like the choice of pictures that Rhino uses for this DVD or the Villians DVD. On the villians cover it shows Cyclonus, well he was never in the episode The Ultimate Doom except as his prior form ((Skywarp) I have a good theory about why Cyclonus is Skywarp due to Transformers the Movie's vague error that has haunted Transformer fans for years). The hero's DVD version has Optimus Prime but he is not the main focus of this episode. Other than that the Rebirth is digitalized and the three part episode looks better than ever. Targetmasters and Headmasters attack.