Profile for Barbara > Reviews

Content by Barbara
Top Reviewer Ranking: 354

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Barbara "Nature Lover" (Ontario, Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Beginner's Chinese Script
Beginner's Chinese Script
by Elizabeth Scurfield
2 used & new from CDN$ 17.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Gathering Dust, Nov. 29 2008
This book just didn't grab me enough to help me learn the script and I ended up getting very bored and putting the book back on the shelf. Right now, I don't even know where it is. If you want to learn Chinese simplified script, the absolute best books are: Vol 1 -250 Essential Chinese Characters and Vol 2 - 250 Essential Chinese Characters. These books are bigger (8 1/2 x 11) so the Chinese Script book has one advantage in that it's smaller in size and more portable. The Chinese Script book wasn't horrible but there are better books available.

And no, I did not find the Teach Yourself series of books/audio to be better - They're good but I have found Earworms Rapid Chinese Volumes 1 and 2 (Earworms Rapid Chinese and Rapid Chinese (Vol 2) ) to be the best - using natural conversation set to music.

The Aromatherapy Companion: Medicinal Uses/Ayurvedic Healing/Body-Care Blends/Perfumes & Scents/Emotional Health & Well-Being
by Victoria H. Edwards
Price: CDN$ 16.89
27 used & new from CDN$ 9.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Tons of Information, Nov. 29 2008
This book doesn't have the wow of colour photographs but it makes up for it with the shear volume of information presented. All aspects of aromatherapy are covered including a bit of the history of aromatherapy, how oils are extracted, a brief excerpt on the different oils and how they react, a whole chapter on Safety & Toxicity Guidelines - along with sidebars in the margins on oils that are NOT safe to use. There's a section on carrier oils and then we get to recipes for blends of oils as well as recipes for skin care products. There's even information on reflexology. This book is an excellent purchase.

All the Birds of North America
All the Birds of North America
by Jack Griggs
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, convenient waterproof cover, Nov. 23 2008
I use this birding book all the time. It basically stays outside all year round so it's available when I quickly want to look up a bird. I love it's plastic cover which keeps it from becoming a soggy mess.

I have never had trouble finding birds in this book. The drawings are detailed and make identification quick and easy. The little write-up on each bird is just enough to give some detail.

Vogue® Knitting on the go! Shawls
Vogue® Knitting on the go! Shawls
by Trisha Malcolm
16 used & new from CDN$ 2.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Surprise. The inside is BETTER than the cover, Nov. 21 2008
This little book was a real surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect inside, but ALL the shawls in the book are very nice. There's a little bit of a different twist to some designs which makes them interesting and unique.

The book covers basics, yarn weights, cast on and off, simple fringes, basic crochet for finishing edges on some of the shawls and has knit term abbreviations. Then we get to the patterns. As soon as I opened the book it was wow, ooh, ahhh. I was pleasantly surprised to find I liked the garments inside even more than the cover (in fact I probably like the cover shawl the least out of all the 19 designs to choose from).

Designs are a small indigo shawl with a few burnt orange stripes, a peonie pink scallop shall, a striped shawl in pink and mauve, there's an openwork shetland shawl, and a stunning triangle shawl that has open work around the neck and a solid centre - the colour choices for this one make it elegant and unique - just to describe a few.

Many of the shawls are triangles, some are rectangular. There's patterns, lace stitches, cables, ribbons and a dragonfly intarsia design that's pretty. A very cute shawl is the Sheep Shawl done in white with little knitted sheep faces--that's the only quaint or silly/cute one in the book--but I would make it!

This is a great purchase and I can't wait to warm up the needles and make some. Happy Knitting. By the way, if you like this book, you may also enjoy these books: Vogue Knitting on the Go: Ponchos, Vogue Knitting on the Go: Shawls Two and if you crochet, Vogue Knitting on the Go: Crocheted Shawls

Dk Handbooks Insects
Dk Handbooks Insects
by George C Mcgavin
14 used & new from CDN$ 3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reference tool, Nov. 19 2008
This review is from: Dk Handbooks Insects (Paperback)
I use this book all the time when I want info about a particular insect. What I like best are the photos, sometimes multiple photos of an insect to show all its parts.

Each insect has a brief description with just a bit of information. The Order, Family, and Total Number of Known Species is shown with each specimen. Many are shown from egg, larvae pupa and adult stages. I particularly enjoyed seeing magnified photos of pubic lice, fleas and body lice (great EWWWWW!!! factor :) There's a key of symbols on each page that show whether they are predacious, herbivorous, etc. Also covered is the insects' distribution. There's actually more info than at first appears, once you take a moment to learn what the tiny symbols mean. For instance symbols to indicate the main type of food.

There's sections on Arachnids, Crustaceans, Myriapods, the life cycle of insects, the sensory system, food and feeding and arthropod behaviour.

Of course to my mind, no insect book is perfect unless it has a picture of a luna moth, and this one does. I recommend this book highly a reference tool.

Nail Art
Nail Art
by Klutz
Edition: Spiral-bound
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Follow Designs Step by Step, Nov. 18 2008
This review is from: Nail Art (Spiral-bound)
I've had this book for years and its very wear worn from so many children looking at it. I highly recommend this book for girls from 5 to 12 who would like to learn how to decorate their nails. (I won't speak to the polishes that came with the kit since I wasn't after them - I was more interested in getting my hands on design ideas for the nails).

The book is full of great, fun and interesting designs that are very easy to paint - most are done in anywhere from one to four steps. There are pandas, hearts, dots, stripes, easter designs, halloween designs, Christmas designs, tiger stripes, flowers and more flowers, happy faces, letters, puppy dogs and puppy paws, bunnies, birthday cake and candles, cats, birds, lizards, snakes, butterflies, mice, etc., etc. The book is jam packed with ideas.

The designs are easy to do. They often start with a dot for a head and then dots for ears and then tiny dots added for eyes - children can do them easily. The book covers colours as well and how to mix them to get difference shades.

I attended many little girl birthday parties where I did nail art on all the girls. The book came in very handy because the girls would look through it for designs to pick for me to do. I used acrylic paints right on top of their nail polish (once the polish was dried) and then sealed everything with a coat of clear polish. My two most favourite little girl comments were "You're so much better than the clown I had last year" and "How long have you been famous?" It was a hoot!!! :)

I highly recommend the book because of the number of designs, the easy step by step and the uniqueness of some of the ideas. The little polishes are just bonus--the book is the real lasting value.

556 Aromatherapy Formulas for Mind & Body
556 Aromatherapy Formulas for Mind & Body
by David Schiller
15 used & new from CDN$ 18.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Recipes, Nov. 9 2008
This is a fairly good aromatherapy book. What I do like is that after a little introductory info about armoatherapy it jumps into recipes for the oils. I also like that it has headings like Meditation, Relaxation, Sleep, Stress, Caring for the Body. All the recipies are listed under these headings.

What I don't like about the book is the lack of description. The recipes are printed very close together in lists - the layout isn't the best - and at first I couldn't tell where one recipe started and another finished. Once I figured that out it wasn't so bad. Also, there's not a single picture or drawing to enhance the experience of reading the book, but on the upside, this book probably gives out more recipes than most and that's probably because a lot of space wasn't given to photos.

At the back of the book are profiles of some of the main essential oils and their effects on the mind and emotions.

The book is a good purchase but once inside the appealing part is the info itself, not its visual presentation.

The ROM Field Guide to Birds of Ontario
The ROM Field Guide to Birds of Ontario
by Janice M. Hughes
7 used & new from CDN$ 72.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Identifier Book, Nov. 9 2008
I use this book often because it has really clear colour photos of the birds which helps me to identify them easily. It has over 400 pages and on each page is a specific bird with sections describing appearance, voice, habitat, behaviour, and current status. Each page also has the map of Ontario shaded to show the bird's range. The book is colour coded into sections based on species.

The habitat and behaviour info is brief but helpful (more info would be nice).

I recommend this book if you're interested in birds from Ontario - it saves flipping through pages of birds that don't reside here and the colour photos help with the identification.

Nourrir les oiseaux dans sa main
Nourrir les oiseaux dans sa main
by HUGH WIBERG
5 used & new from CDN$ 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars These Tips and Hints Work, Nov. 9 2008
I have the English version of this book. After reading a newspaper article about the book I bought it and then set right away to following the hints and tips listed in the book. I did my bird feeding in my backyard and I had fanatastic succcess. I started in 2001 and I'm still hand feeding Red Breasted Nuthatches today (2008). The book is full of photos and tips and tricks on how to successfully hand feed wild birds. The author includes heart warming stories of his encounters with specific wild birds, often over many years.

Ritual
Ritual
by Mo Hayder
Price: CDN$ 16.57
7 used & new from CDN$ 3.04

3.0 out of 5 stars An Okay Book, Nov. 9 2008
This review is from: Ritual (Paperback)
I have to admit I was disappointed with this book, the third book written by Mo Hayder with the character Detective Caffery. Her first two books Birdman and The Treatment were incredible but I didn't find this book to be any where near as good--those books I couldn't put down and I loaned to my friends with very high recommendations. That being said, this book did have an interesting and horrific crime, with a plot that built and built throughout the book but there was something missing that I can't quite put my finger on, but I just couldn't get into the story. I found the book easy to put down and I wasn't in any hurry to pick it up again. I am not sorry for the purchase because the author reveals a little more into the life of the lead character, detective Caffery and answers a few questions left open from the last book.

Her other books Pig Island and Devil of Nanking are amazing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14