Profile for Barbara > Reviews

Content by Barbara
Top Reviewer Ranking: 470

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Barbara "Nature Lover" (Ontario, Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Vogue Knitting on the Go! Ponchos
Vogue Knitting on the Go! Ponchos
by Trisha Malcolm
9 used & new from CDN$ 14.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Cover and the Inside Too, Oct. 29 2008
I just love it when the inside of a book fits with its cover. If you like the poncho on the cover you won't be disappointed by the any of the stylish and trendy patterns inside. There's a few pages covering knit techniques, types of yarns and a few stitches, and basic crochet (needed for trim on a few patterns). There's a good assortment among the 21 patterns. A few of my favourites are a sheer bobble poncho done in soft pink mohair, there's a lovely ribbed off the shoulder poncho done in a ribbon yarn and my favourite is a mohair poncho with a fur lined neck and arm slits. Oh and then there's a soft light green gossamer lace knit poncho that I feel I must make as well. All the patterns are appealing. The book shows at least two photos of each poncho and the instructions are brief and to the point. Note there are some children's sized ponchos as well. I'm very happy with this book because there's so many patterns in it that I want to do that I feel I've more than got my money's worth with this one. If you enjoy this book you will also enjoy Vogue's Book: Vogue Knitting on the Go: Shawls Two Also, two of my most favourite shrug/wrap/poncho books are: Poncho a La Carte andWrap Style: Innovative to Traditional, 24 Inspirational Shawls, Ponchos, and Capelets to Knit and Crochet

Vogue® Knitting on the Go! Shawls Two
Vogue® Knitting on the Go! Shawls Two
by Trisha Malcolm
Price: CDN$ 10.79
30 used & new from CDN$ 2.92

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile addition to the knit library, Oct. 27 2008
This little book of 22 shawls is well worth the purchase. There is an excellent variety of styles and stitches used such as moss, garter, stocking stitch, as well as lace patterns. There are many different brands of yarn used and all the sweaters are by different designers. Some are bold using cables like the cover photo, others are light and delicately patterned like a red lace shawl done in a leaf pattern that is absolutely beautiful. There's a unique small shawlette that dangles from a ribbon around the shoulders--clever design. Even the blue triangular shawl done in the seed stitch with a picot hem is lovely. This book is a winner. It covers some knit basics such as tension, gauge and blocking, yarn types and basic crochet stitches. Only the edges on a few shawls require crochet. All the patterns are very tempting, making this book a very worthwhile addition to the knitting book shelf... that is when not knitting one of its fabulous patterns :) An excellent purchase. If you enjoy this book you'll also love: Vogue Knitting on the Go: Ponchos and if you like wraps and shawls this is one of my favourite books: Wrap Style: Innovative to Traditional, 24 Inspirational Shawls, Ponchos, and Capelets to Knit and Crochet Happy knitting everyone.

Cure For The Common Life: Living In Your Sweet Spot
Cure For The Common Life: Living In Your Sweet Spot
by Max Lucado
59 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A helpful guide to finding that special niche, Oct. 22 2008
This book is easy to read and serves as a good reminder that people really do have sweet spots. It's a good encourager to go for it, citing many examples of how people found the courage to leave their 'security' to find their dreams fulfilled doing what they truly love and were meant to do. I think that saying, do a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life holds very true.

I agreed with the book but I remember years ago questioning about recipes when cooking sweet things that needed salt added. That just didn't make sense to me. Then someone explained that the salt just makes the sweet sweeter. I think sometimes we need to have a salty job for a while so that when we find that sweet spot we'll appreciate it that much more.

The book is faith based and quotes scripture to back up the concepts. It has exercises at the back--answering questions and writing about experiences--all engineered to help you find your sweet spot.

Wishing you lots of sweetness in your life, and yes I recommend the book.

Chance and the Butterfly
Chance and the Butterfly
by Maggie De Vries
11 used & new from CDN$ 6.35

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Story, Oct. 21 2008
This is a very true to life story about a boy called Chance and a butterfly called Matilda. It's really well written, building suspense with each thing that happens until we're just not sure what the outcome will be until the end.

Chance, a foster child, keeps getting into trouble at school and has a problem controlling his actions. His class has caterpillars and he is fascinated by them and takes one home. The suspense builds and builds as we are left to wonder what will happen to the caterpillar he named Matilda. Will she live or die? The details of the interaction between the foster family, the teacher and students are very realistic as well as the touching and sometimes sad feelings that many foster children experience.

The caterpillar facts are masterfully woven into this story. This book is a real page turner and I enjoyed the story immensely.

Earthly Bodies & Heavenly Hair: Natural and Healthy Bodycare for Every Body
Earthly Bodies & Heavenly Hair: Natural and Healthy Bodycare for Every Body
by Dina Falconi
Price: CDN$ 12.34
27 used & new from CDN$ 12.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving this Book!!!, Oct. 17 2008
I bought this book based on its many positive reviews - so it's only fair that I now report on it. I like the book very much and recommend it. Because I'm an aesthetician I have lots of books on skin care, making body products, etc., and this one has a lot of appeal because it jumps right into the recipes without a lot of other information to take up space. There are 14 sections, such as Facial Care, Lip, Mouth & Tooth Care, Hair & Scalp, Body Treatments, etc., etc. There's even a section Especially for Men. After just a couple introductory pages and some info on skin types we jump right into our first recipe Basic Cleansing Oil with Essential Oils and off we go.... The recipes are laid out clearly with the list of ingrediants and directions.

What I appreciate the most are the recipes for natural deodarants. I've made the Witch Hazel and Essential Oil deodarant using Rosemary & Peppermint and I absolutely LOVE IT - so fresh and natural. I've been wanting to get away from those chemical clog poring deodarants. I'm glad I purchased this book and I recommend it highly. I can't wait to make some hand creams and lip balms as well.

Out of all the skin and body care books I own, I would say that if you can only get one book - get this one.

The Complete Illustrated Guide to Aromatherapy: A Practical Approach to the Use of Essential Oils for Health and Well-Being
by Julia Lawless
20 used & new from CDN$ 2.65

5.0 out of 5 stars An Aromatherapy course in a book, Oct. 17 2008
As an esthetician, I appreciated using this book when learning about aromatherpy. I enjoy the pictures which help balance the text so it doesn't seem like too much reading. The book is very visual. Part One covers various uses for aromatherapy and its applications: Simple Aromatherapy such as aromatic bathing, massage, vaporizing; Cosmetic Aromatherapy for the health of the skin and hair, rejuvenation, and skin care routines; Aromatherapy & Perfumery where you create your own blends and scents. Part Two covers using aromatherapy for massage and it has details/photos on massage techniques. Part Three covers medical uses of essential oils for the skin - disorders and problems and first aid. Part Four is an index of the various oils and their uses.

The book has about 220 pages and is full of details, essentially in my mind it's an aromatherapy course in a book. If you wanted to just dive into recipes for theraputic use only this may not be the best book as you'd have to spend some time reading through to find what you want but the book has value in that it gives lots of details about the oils listed. If you are looking for a book to help with skin or health disorders and first aid for the body, this is an excellent book to use.

Algonquin Seasons: A Natural History of Algonquin Park
Algonquin Seasons: A Natural History of Algonquin Park
by Michael Runtz
13 used & new from CDN$ 6.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Candy for the Nature Lover, Oct. 17 2008
You must see Algonquin because there is no place like it but if you cannot go in person, this book well represents the provincial park. There are over 100 pages of photos of the wildlife indigenous to the park: loons, owls, moose, bears, chipmonks, frogs, foxes, beavers, raccoons, various birds, insects, flowers, etc. At the back of the book is a section called Window to the Past with black and white historical photos.

The Life of the Bee
The Life of the Bee
by Maurice Maeterlinck
Price: CDN$ 23.33
8 used & new from CDN$ 21.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Historical Reading, Oct. 17 2008
This review is from: The Life of the Bee (Paperback)
I believe this book was originally published in 1901 in Italian and then translated into English - but I'm not completely certain if that's correct.

What I am enjoying the most about this book is the way that bees and beekeeping are described. I find the writing somewhat poetic and romantic and it reminds me of a time when people took the time to describe things in detail. Here's an excerpt regarding the eviction of the drones in the fall: "Indelicate and wasteful, sleek and corpulent, fully content with their idle existence as honorary lovers, they feast and carouse, throng the alleys, obstruct the passages, and hinder the work; jostling and jostled, fatuously pompous, swelled with foolish, good-natured contempt; harbouring never a suspicion of the deep and calculating scorn wherewith the workers regard them, of the constantly growing hatred to which they give rise, or of the destiny that awaits them."

A Kingdom of Dreams
A Kingdom of Dreams
by Judith McNaught
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.92
93 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My All Time Favourite, Oct. 17 2008
I've been reading romantic historical fiction since I was a teenager and I've read just about every author out there. This book is my all time favourite. I've read it probably about 6 or 7 times. I just keep coming back to read it again. A wonderful story with a great heroine. All Judith's books are great but this was the one I enjoyed the most.

Langstroth's Hive and the Honey-Bee: The Classic Beekeeper's Manual
Langstroth's Hive and the Honey-Bee: The Classic Beekeeper's Manual
by L. L. Langstroth
Price: CDN$ 14.40
27 used & new from CDN$ 12.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Historic Book by the 'Father of Beekeeping', Oct. 17 2008
The front cover says 'The Classic Beekeeper's Manual' and so it is. Originally published in 1878, this book was written by the man who invented the movable frame hives that are still in use worldwide today (picture the classic wooden box beehive). The techniques used in this book are also still used today. Mentioned in the book are the 3 casts of bees Queen, Worker and Drone, Combs, Propolis, Ventilation, various kinds of swarms, pests and diseases, loss of the queen, robbing, feeding, wintering bees, etc. There are 25 very detailed artists' plates depicting hive construction and some bee anatomy.

It's interesting to read about beekeeping as described in the 1800's. Here's an excerpt: "A clergyman told me, that he attended a funeral, where, as soon as the coffin was brought from the hosue, the bees gathered upon it so as to excite much alarm. Some years after this occurrence, being engaged in varnishing a table, the bees alighted upon it in such numbers, as to convince him, that love of varnish, rather than sorrow or respect for the dead, was the occasion of their conduct at the funeral." The beeswax used to make the varnish would have been what attracted the bees.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13