Profile for Barbara > Reviews

Content by Barbara
Top Reviewer Ranking: 309

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Barbara "Nature Lover" (Ontario, Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
The INTENTIONAL SPINNER
The INTENTIONAL SPINNER
by Judith McCuin
9 used & new from CDN$ 24.09

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern, informative, practical and beautiful book, Feb. 17 2009
I am very pleased with this book! At first I hesitated to buy another spinning book because I already know how to spin but I was hoping to learn more--I'm learning lots more now! I decided to buy it because I've been reading the author's very helpful articles in Spin Off Magazine. The book is loaded with great colour photographs of yarns, wools, fibre, and everything to do with spinning fibre. Its visual presentation is excellent and the book is better than I expected.

The first section covers the different types of fibres - animal, plant & manufactured (there's history in this section but it's really very interesting and is accompanied by photos). Many different types of fibre are covered, both old and new.

The next section covers fibre preparation and spinning techniques - all fully illustrated. The info on drafting methods is invaluable. It also fully illustrates techniques to ply your fibre and yarn design - planning the perfect yarn.

There are four knitting projects included in the book as well - a shawl, socks, scarves and a kese (a bath loofah done on a loom).

The book finishes with how to care for your fibre (storage, dealing with moths, etc) and a bibliography and index. FYI - Not covered in this book is dyeing fibre. It's presumed you know how to set up a spinning wheel but you can get that info from the author's other fabulous book Teach Yourself VISUALLY Handspinning. I'm very happy with both books.

This book is a great mix of the historical and the practical aspects of spinning.

CHINESE in 10 minutes a day
CHINESE in 10 minutes a day
by Kristine K. Kershul
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Interesting and it gets you active using the language very quickly, Dec 2 2008
I've had this book for a while. I agree with the reviews that this is an excellent beginners book. The exercises, pictures, tear out cards and stickers to put on things around the house make this book unique and fun. I still have the stickers on my mirror, tv and fridge, etc. They make interesting conversation when company reads them and discovers they can speak Chinese words so easily.

This book takes away the fear of what has been known to be a difficult language to learn (it's not that bad actually - I think English grammar is way more scary). The book uses Pinyin which is the international alphabet. But it provides some pronunciation tips based on English sounds to help you learn the pinyin alphabet. The book doesn't focus on the Chinese script, so that's not the purpose of this book. The purpose is to give you a basic vocabularly and a comfort level that you can speak or know enough to survive your early days in China or casual conversation, shopping, etc. For that reason, I believe it's an excellent introductory book. I remember being very pleased and relieved when I started reading this book. Within less than a minute I was saying Na shi cha - That is tea. The very first page of the book has three simple sentences so you start talking immediately. Of course you have to make some effort to do the exercises, but they're fun so that makes it easy - and the feeling of success very early just encourages you to continue.

(If you want character books there are many that are good. Two books I highly recommend for that are Volume 1 250 Essential Chinese Characters and Volume 2 250 Essential Chinese Characters and there are Flashcards as well Chinese In A Flash. And for audio, I've tried Just Listen & Learn Chinese and Teach Yourself, which are okay, but my absolute favourites are Vol 1 Earworms Rapid Chinese and Vol 2Rapid Chinese (Vol 2) - I have these on my IPOD and listen all the time, even as background noise while doing other things.)

Wishing you many red envelopes (good luck).

The Beeman
The Beeman
by Laurie Krebs
Price: CDN$ 26.50
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is sweet!, Dec 1 2008
This review is from: The Beeman (Hardcover)
This is a lovely book with endearing illustrations of a grandpa called the Beeman and his grandaughter. The text is cleverly put together, and is poetic. For example, "Here is the beehive, where all the bees sleep, tucked into a box called a shallow or deep and then placed on a bench by the Beeman". The pictures are accurate, including all the beekeeping tools, smoker, hive tool, beehives, and extractor - the text doesn't go into lots of detail on them -- and not it's not needed either. I love this book and it's a great story and discussion tool for children to learn about beekeeping.

Beginner's Chinese Script
Beginner's Chinese Script
by Elizabeth Scurfield
3 used & new from CDN$ 16.12

2.0 out of 5 stars Gathering Dust, Nov. 29 2008
This book just didn't grab me enough to help me learn the script and I ended up getting very bored and putting the book back on the shelf. Right now, I don't even know where it is. If you want to learn Chinese simplified script, the absolute best books are: Vol 1 -250 Essential Chinese Characters and Vol 2 - 250 Essential Chinese Characters. These books are bigger (8 1/2 x 11) so the Chinese Script book has one advantage in that it's smaller in size and more portable. The Chinese Script book wasn't horrible but there are better books available.

And no, I did not find the Teach Yourself series of books/audio to be better - They're good but I have found Earworms Rapid Chinese Volumes 1 and 2 (Earworms Rapid Chinese and Rapid Chinese (Vol 2) ) to be the best - using natural conversation set to music.

The Aromatherapy Companion: Medicinal Uses/Ayurvedic Healing/Body-Care Blends/Perfumes & Scents/Emotional Health & Well-Being
by Victoria H. Edwards
Price: CDN$ 16.89
31 used & new from CDN$ 7.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Tons of Information, Nov. 29 2008
This book doesn't have the wow of colour photographs but it makes up for it with the shear volume of information presented. All aspects of aromatherapy are covered including a bit of the history of aromatherapy, how oils are extracted, a brief excerpt on the different oils and how they react, a whole chapter on Safety & Toxicity Guidelines - along with sidebars in the margins on oils that are NOT safe to use. There's a section on carrier oils and then we get to recipes for blends of oils as well as recipes for skin care products. There's even information on reflexology. This book is an excellent purchase.

All the Birds of North America
All the Birds of North America
by Jack Griggs
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, convenient waterproof cover, Nov. 23 2008
I use this birding book all the time. It basically stays outside all year round so it's available when I quickly want to look up a bird. I love it's plastic cover which keeps it from becoming a soggy mess.

I have never had trouble finding birds in this book. The drawings are detailed and make identification quick and easy. The little write-up on each bird is just enough to give some detail.

Vogue® Knitting on the go! Shawls
Vogue® Knitting on the go! Shawls
by Trisha Malcolm
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Surprise. The inside is BETTER than the cover, Nov. 21 2008
This little book was a real surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect inside, but ALL the shawls in the book are very nice. There's a little bit of a different twist to some designs which makes them interesting and unique.

The book covers basics, yarn weights, cast on and off, simple fringes, basic crochet for finishing edges on some of the shawls and has knit term abbreviations. Then we get to the patterns. As soon as I opened the book it was wow, ooh, ahhh. I was pleasantly surprised to find I liked the garments inside even more than the cover (in fact I probably like the cover shawl the least out of all the 19 designs to choose from).

Designs are a small indigo shawl with a few burnt orange stripes, a peonie pink scallop shall, a striped shawl in pink and mauve, there's an openwork shetland shawl, and a stunning triangle shawl that has open work around the neck and a solid centre - the colour choices for this one make it elegant and unique - just to describe a few.

Many of the shawls are triangles, some are rectangular. There's patterns, lace stitches, cables, ribbons and a dragonfly intarsia design that's pretty. A very cute shawl is the Sheep Shawl done in white with little knitted sheep faces--that's the only quaint or silly/cute one in the book--but I would make it!

This is a great purchase and I can't wait to warm up the needles and make some. Happy Knitting. By the way, if you like this book, you may also enjoy these books: Vogue Knitting on the Go: Ponchos, Vogue Knitting on the Go: Shawls Two and if you crochet, Vogue Knitting on the Go: Crocheted Shawls

Dk Handbooks Insects
Dk Handbooks Insects
by George C Mcgavin
14 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reference tool, Nov. 19 2008
This review is from: Dk Handbooks Insects (Paperback)
I use this book all the time when I want info about a particular insect. What I like best are the photos, sometimes multiple photos of an insect to show all its parts.

Each insect has a brief description with just a bit of information. The Order, Family, and Total Number of Known Species is shown with each specimen. Many are shown from egg, larvae pupa and adult stages. I particularly enjoyed seeing magnified photos of pubic lice, fleas and body lice (great EWWWWW!!! factor :) There's a key of symbols on each page that show whether they are predacious, herbivorous, etc. Also covered is the insects' distribution. There's actually more info than at first appears, once you take a moment to learn what the tiny symbols mean. For instance symbols to indicate the main type of food.

There's sections on Arachnids, Crustaceans, Myriapods, the life cycle of insects, the sensory system, food and feeding and arthropod behaviour.

Of course to my mind, no insect book is perfect unless it has a picture of a luna moth, and this one does. I recommend this book highly a reference tool.

Nail Art
Nail Art
by Klutz
Edition: Spiral-bound
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Follow Designs Step by Step, Nov. 18 2008
This review is from: Nail Art (Spiral-bound)
I've had this book for years and its very wear worn from so many children looking at it. I highly recommend this book for girls from 5 to 12 who would like to learn how to decorate their nails. (I won't speak to the polishes that came with the kit since I wasn't after them - I was more interested in getting my hands on design ideas for the nails).

The book is full of great, fun and interesting designs that are very easy to paint - most are done in anywhere from one to four steps. There are pandas, hearts, dots, stripes, easter designs, halloween designs, Christmas designs, tiger stripes, flowers and more flowers, happy faces, letters, puppy dogs and puppy paws, bunnies, birthday cake and candles, cats, birds, lizards, snakes, butterflies, mice, etc., etc. The book is jam packed with ideas.

The designs are easy to do. They often start with a dot for a head and then dots for ears and then tiny dots added for eyes - children can do them easily. The book covers colours as well and how to mix them to get difference shades.

I attended many little girl birthday parties where I did nail art on all the girls. The book came in very handy because the girls would look through it for designs to pick for me to do. I used acrylic paints right on top of their nail polish (once the polish was dried) and then sealed everything with a coat of clear polish. My two most favourite little girl comments were "You're so much better than the clown I had last year" and "How long have you been famous?" It was a hoot!!! :)

I highly recommend the book because of the number of designs, the easy step by step and the uniqueness of some of the ideas. The little polishes are just bonus--the book is the real lasting value.

556 Aromatherapy Formulas for Mind & Body
556 Aromatherapy Formulas for Mind & Body
by David Schiller
16 used & new from CDN$ 18.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Recipes, Nov. 9 2008
This is a fairly good aromatherapy book. What I do like is that after a little introductory info about armoatherapy it jumps into recipes for the oils. I also like that it has headings like Meditation, Relaxation, Sleep, Stress, Caring for the Body. All the recipies are listed under these headings.

What I don't like about the book is the lack of description. The recipes are printed very close together in lists - the layout isn't the best - and at first I couldn't tell where one recipe started and another finished. Once I figured that out it wasn't so bad. Also, there's not a single picture or drawing to enhance the experience of reading the book, but on the upside, this book probably gives out more recipes than most and that's probably because a lot of space wasn't given to photos.

At the back of the book are profiles of some of the main essential oils and their effects on the mind and emotions.

The book is a good purchase but once inside the appealing part is the info itself, not its visual presentation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15