Profile for J. P. Hillman > Reviews

Content by J. P. Hillman

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

J. P. Hillman "junplugged" (Farmingdale, New York USA)

The art of ragtime guitar.
The art of ragtime guitar.
by Green Note Music Publications
14 used & new from CDN$ 35.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Introduction to Ragtime Guitar and Complex Fingerst, March 20 2004
This book comes with 2 sheet records of all the music. It has photographs of the positioning of fingers on the fretboard. It has detailed discussion opposite each page of music covering how to transition figering and picking. The music is all original but is finely written with great melody and harmony. The songs have become part of guitar instruction by teachers in figerstyle. It includes historical old photos for a warm mood thru the book. Pages are heavy and beige. The guitarist is on the cover and is Richard Saslow. This is a treasure. He's dressed from the period of the height of Ragtime. What happened to Green Note Music Publications and Schirmer Books? If you find this anywhere, get it! A great learning experience and you play stuff that sounds amazing and complex, but not hard to learn from this book.

The Songwriter's Idea Book
The Songwriter's Idea Book
by Sheila Davis
20 used & new from CDN$ 3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for identifying your mind as well as song ideas, June 13 2001
I refer to this book weekly and have owned it for 4 years. I spoke the author in 1997 and thanked her for her contribution to this subject. Her 3 books are 3 volumes of my songwriting bible. It is her books that finally gave me the ability to be happy with my own songwriting for the first time in my timespan of over ten years of not liking my lyrics. In this book, the author helps you identify your style of work and how it affects your first drafts. This info also has helped me in other parts of my thinking process. No other author, so far, has been as complete and detailed in their presentation of the songwriting process as Sheila Davis. Brilliant.