Profile for Vira Prystay > Reviews

Content by Vira Prystay

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Vira Prystay (Vancouver, BC)

Monkey and Me
Monkey and Me
by Emily Gravett
Price: CDN$ 14.43
29 used & new from CDN$ 8.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for a toddler, April 7 2011
This review is from: Monkey and Me (Hardcover)
My daughter loves this book. We have previously checked it out of the library several times and it remains a favorite. The illustrations are lovely, the verses are easy for her to remember. A definite five stars book.

Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals
by Jamie Oliver
36 used & new from CDN$ 6.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Good educational resource, April 16 2010
Jamie Oliver is on a mission to change how our families eat. I have to admit that some recipes just burst with flavor and are very easy to make. Some my family didn't appreciate quiet as much, though I did. I'd say it's a book for a cook who ran out of ideas on simple healthy meals. Most of it is fast and flavorful. The only issue for me was that some recipes call for items that I do not normally keep in my fridge and they require additional trips to the grocery store.

Planet Earth: The Complete Series
Planet Earth: The Complete Series
DVD ~ David Attenborough
Price: CDN$ 59.99
39 used & new from CDN$ 14.46

5.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't watched it yet - watch!, March 4 2010
I think this one is the best collection of videos about our planet to ever exist. I have no doubt about it. The footage is mind-blowing and beautiful. The scenes shot from the helicopter have so much details that no operator on the ground would ever be able to capture. Watch it, get your kids to watch and keep it on your family for the grandchildren.

The Blue Planet: Seas of Life (5-Disc Special Edition)
The Blue Planet: Seas of Life (5-Disc Special Edition)
Price: CDN$ 39.93
29 used & new from CDN$ 29.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, March 4 2010
I love this DVD. The scenes offered to the viewer are beyond anything you could imagine. Truly breathtaking, beautiful, tragic... Will remain one of our faves.

The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl
The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl
by Ree Drummond
Price: CDN$ 20.05
51 used & new from CDN$ 18.08

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this woman!, March 4 2010
I love her recipes, as non-dietary as they are, I love her character, her kids and horses and dogs. She is outstanding and admirable. I've tried probably about 8 recipes from the book and all of them turned out fantastic (though I do feel the urgent need to hit the gym after those meals)

If you missed the "old" way of cooking, without counting the calories, enjoying the taste, savoring the meal - this book is a must have. You don't need to be a cowboy to appreciate her cooking style. In addition the dishes are not overly time-consuming and can be modified by you to your family's needs. The step by step pictures are fantastic, really gives you the feel of the process.

I say - buy it!

The Grand Central Baking Book: Breakfast Pastries, Cookies, Pies, and Satisfying Savories from the Pacific Northwest's Celebrated Bakery
by Piper Davis
Price: CDN$ 23.51
32 used & new from CDN$ 13.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginners, March 4 2010
The author goes into explaining the basics, the logic behind baking. As I cannot bake I found it very helpful. The recipes are relatively easy, all the steps are described and pictures look mouthwatering. I am yet to put the recipes to test, but I expect to be using this book for many years.

Good Night Sleep Tight: The Sleep Ladys Gentle Guide to Helping Your Child Go to Sleep, Stay Asleep, and Wake Up Happy
by Kim West
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book with some sensible suggestions, Jan. 11 2010
I would recommend this book to any parents who have doubts as to how to help their baby/toddler to sleep through the night or at least sleep for longer stretches of time. While it is not a panacea for all and any issues the author makes good points and has some good and gentle ideas to help with any changes that family might need to make in order to have a well-rested family in the morning.