Profile for CoffeeGurl > Reviews

Content by CoffeeGurl

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

CoffeeGurl

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Secrets: Volume 1
Secrets: Volume 1
by Alice Gains
Price: CDN$ 13.94
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Insatiable romantic erotica!, April 29 2004
This review is from: Secrets: Volume 1 (Paperback)
I loved this erotic anthology. It awoke my senses from beginning to end. And the best part is that this wonderful series illustrates various sub-categories of romantic erotica -- contemporary, historical and fantasy. My favorite out of the four novellas is Bonnie Hamre's A Lady's Quest. This historical story centers on a young widow's tenacious need to find a lover that could replace her lust for Dougal MacDonald, the gorgeous seventh Duke of Sutherland and notorious womanizer. But she'd never envisaged Dougal's delectable intentions. I savored this story like fine wine. It was as sensual as it was erotic. The Gift is my second favorite novella. I loved the historical elements and delicious erotic scenes. The Spinner's Dream is the weakest one out of the four, but it entertained me nevertheless. And I loved The Proposal. The aforementioned novella reads like a toned down Black Lace novel.
This is a memorable erotic anthology. The novellas' descriptions are rich with sensuality -- guaranteed to satisfy the reader. They're lighter than Black Lace books, but not sugarcoated like the rather formulaic erotic romance novels in Kensington Brava. I cannot wait to pick up the other volumes. Highly recommended...

The Poet
The Poet
by Michael Connelly
Price: CDN$ 8.55
137 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully creative and clever!, April 29 2004
This review is from: The Poet (Mass Market Paperback)
The Poet is one great book! Connelly's premise was very creative and great for bibliophiles and I'm glad I gave it a whirl! The killer uses Poe's literary works as a basis for his murders. What a fabulous way for Connelly to merge his genius with the brilliance of Poe -- one of the genre's greats. I just could not put this one down. I read this till the wee hours of the night. This is a great beach read and Connelly at his finest!

Out of the Girls' Room and Into the Night: Stories
Out of the Girls' Room and Into the Night: Stories
by Thisbe Nissen
Price: CDN$ 13.14
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and disarming collection of short stories!, April 27 2004
Out of the Girls' Room and Into the Night has several of the most memorable short stories I've read as of late. This collection of quirky and disarming stories is thought provoking and disturbing at times. The ones that touched me the most were the ones centered on eating disorders, infidelity and death. "Grog," "The Mushroom Girl," "Flowers in the Dustbin, Poison in the Human Machine," and "Accidental Love" are my favorites. The aforementioned stories spoke to me. Are you in the bargain for a literary short story collection centered on women? I suggest you pick up this gem!

Continuum
Continuum
by Portia Da Costa
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Another hot novel from Portia Da Costa!, April 27 2004
This review is from: Continuum (Mass Market Paperback)
Joanna hadn't anticipated the strange occurrences that arise after she accepts a work sabbatical. No sooner does she take the work break than she is introduced to the dark and lurid world of domination and submission that centers on pleasurable spankings. Joanna finds herself in a continuum of surreal experiences as she, like an erotic Alice in Wonderland, tries to uncover the mastermind of the disarming, albeit smoldering pleasures...
I like the way the author illustrates this unique brand of BDSM. The novel is a dark and erotic delight. I loved the scenes centered on Kevin and Joanna, but the whole exploit with the transvestite Denis Davidson left me cold. The aforementioned scene was the least favorite parts of the novel. This is another great offering from Portia Da Costa. It isn't in the same realm as The Tutor, but it's a great erotic novel nevertheless. Black Lace has satisfied me (so to speak) once again with this great book. Highly recommended...

Rescuing Rose
Rescuing Rose
by Isabel Wolff
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Isabel Wolff's best, but better than most chick-lits..., April 25 2004
This review is from: Rescuing Rose (Paperback)
What happens when an agony aunt's life is torn apart? Who does she go to for advice?
Thirty-nine-year-old Rose loves to give advice for a living. In fact, she loves it so much that said career is the one responsible for the disintegration of her short marriage -- or at least that's what her husband says. Rose soon wishes that she, too, had her own agony aunt to help her with her crisis. But when she moves into a new home and her roommate is a sweet, handsome astronomy enthusiast ten years her junior, things turn rather interesting...
Isabel Wolff uses her signature wit and relationship insights in this new installment. She's one of the best chick-lit authors out there. However, the novel should've been a bit shorter. Wolff has a tendency to create various subplots and situations that sometimes seem out of place. The story drones on for far too long. And the "twist" between Rose and her husband is too predictable and contrived to take into account. All in all, Rescuing Rose isn't Wolff's best effort -- not quite as good as The Trials of Tiffany Trott and Making Minty Malone -- but it's better than most of Red Dress Ink's books this year. I nevertheless recommend Rescuing Rose as a fun, no-fuss read.

Ties That Bind
Ties That Bind
by Jaid Black
14 used & new from CDN$ 7.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Another scorcher from Jaid Black!, April 23 2004
This review is from: Ties That Bind (Paperback)
Ties that Bind is one of the most smoldering erotic anthologies I've read as of late, and Jaid Black's Sins of the Father is the highlight of the book. Candy Morgan is James's nemesis. Her father had promised him a lucrative career and a place in the family, but then he discarded James without a moment's hesitation. Now Candy must surrender to James's dark desires and commands if she wants to keep her side of the business running. But little did she imagine that James had an unexpected agenda...
The erotic scenes in Father are insatiable beyond compare! The novella is full of Black's signature eroticism and mouthwatering descriptions. She is a great new voice in erotic fiction. I haven't been able to put down her books and I look forward to reading more of her stuff. Lora Leigh's Surrender, the other novella in Ties that Bind, is also a scorcher. These quickie reads will burn a hole in your sheets! I shall look into reading more of Ellora's Cave authors in the future. In the meantime, I recommend this book along with Jaid Black's The Possession.

The Miracle: A Novel
The Miracle: A Novel
by John L'Heureux
Price: CDN$ 11.32
14 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another staggering effort from Mr. L'Heureux!, April 21 2004
This review is from: The Miracle: A Novel (Paperback)
Having read and loved A Woman Run Mad, I couldn't wait to read another one of John L'Heureux's novels. The Miracle is the dark, thought-provoking tale of a charismatic, albeit somewhat arrogant priest and his trials and struggles as his chastity and faith take a turn toward disaster.
Paul LeBlanc's life isn't the same after he is transferred from his South Boston parish to a small church in New Hampshire. When a teenage girl awakens after she had been pronounced dead from a drug overdose, Paul is convinced that the occurrence is a miracle. However, his life falls apart after he embarks on an affair with a woman and the teenage girl dies in an accident not long after the drug scare. There are some staggering, ironic twists throughout the novel.
The Miracle has the sort of disarming and dark language that I loved in A Woman Run Mad. John L'Heureux is a great author. I love his ironic language and disturbing stories. I look forward to reading more of his books. In the meantime, I highly recommend this gem...

Velvet Glove
Velvet Glove
by Emma Holly
10 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Another sexy read from Emma Holly!, April 21 2004
I've become addicted to Emma Holly's erotic novels and I couldn't wait to read another one of her Black Lace offerings. Velvet Glove is a smoldering novel that centers on BDSM and other mouthwatering scenarios.
Audrey is on the lookout for the perfect master, but things don't look too good when candidate number one, a influential millionaire, turns out to be a sadist and candidate number two, her old friend, is a big softy. But when she meets Patrick, a sexy barman and son of a famous politician, not only is the third candidate a charm, but she embarks upon a sexual odyssey that she hadn't envisaged. With sexy bondage scenes, man-woman-man threesomes and other scorching exploits, Audrey may have found the perfect dominant partner. But what's going to happen when she discovers that her sadistic ex-dom is stalking her? And will Patrick's misguided attempts to throw the stalker off affect his father's political career? There are various insatiable twists throughout the novel.
This isn't the best Emma Holly novel I've read. But her trademark building of tension, smoldering scenes and excellent plot development and characterization aren't lost in this book. I especially love how she illustrates S&M in a more positive light. Ms. Holly is one of the best erotica authors of this era and I shall continue to read her books with gusto. I recommend Velvet Glove...

Zagat Survey: New York City Restaurants 2004
Zagat Survey: New York City Restaurants 2004
by Zagat Survey
13 used & new from CDN$ 17.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent diners' guidebook!, April 19 2004
This book has a permanent place on my bookshelf. I can see why New York enthusiasts swear by this guidebook. The book is arranged alphabetically, but diners can also locate restaurants divided by location, type of food, top ratings, most popular as well as by any special features. It also features the restaurants with the best New York Times reviews. Are you planning a trip to the Big Apple? I highly recommend this book for a fabulous meal in New York.

One Dark Night
One Dark Night
by Jaid Black
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great erotic thriller from Jaid Black (4 1/2 stars)!, April 19 2004
I loved Jaid Black's The Possession and couldn't wait to pick up another one of her smoldering books. I haven't been able to get copies of the books she wrote for Ellora's Cave, so I settled for her first mass market release. One Dark Night kept me turning the pages from beginning to end. It's full of the erotic scenes that I adored in The Possession. And this novel has a compelling story and memorable characters to boot.
Dr. Nikki Adenike wants to make her submissive fantasies come true. So she sets out to search for the perfect dominant male on a D/s personals web site. But little did she know that her online Mr. Right is "Lucifer," a sadistic serial killer with a penchant for powerful career women. She finds safety on the arms of Detective Thomas Cavanah, who awakens passions she's never allowed herself to envisage. There are some staggering twists throughout the novel.
Ms. Black is still rather new at writing, so I agree with a previous reviewer's criticism regarding some loose ends in Black's writing -- Nikki's stupidity regarding her safety, various line repetitions, Thomas's strange possessiveness, etc. But said loose ends don't make the novel less appealing. I for one loved it. The erotic bondage scenes between Thomas and Nikki were hot, hot, HOT! And I thought the whole pistachio thing was very cute. I so look forward to reading more of Jaid Black's work, even if I have to read her stories on my computer screen.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20