Profile for Tami Brady > Reviews

Content by Tami Brady
Top Reviewer Ranking: 26

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowerment Coach" (Calgary, Canada)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The A-Z of Baby Animal Names: Book 1
The A-Z of Baby Animal Names: Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Oh So Cute!, May 23 2014
I can see The A-Z of Baby Animal Names being a book that grows with your child. Initially, I read through the ebook with my four year old granddaughter. We started at page one and continued through linearly. Her attention was on the pictures (oh how cute!) and what the babies of each animal was called. Every so often, I’d also throw in a fact that I thought she might find interesting, several of which she was very eager to tell Mommy when she got back.

With my six year old grandson, the process was very different. He was much more interested in the facts about each of the animals. Often, we’d read about an animal and he’d come up with questions that we’d have to do research to answer. So, for him, picking an animal at random and embracing his natural curiosity seems a far better strategy.

Professor Atlas and the Summoning Dagger
Professor Atlas and the Summoning Dagger
by Paul Maguire
Price: CDN$ 16.60
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Professor Atlas and the Summoning Dagger, Oct. 24 2011
Tyler and Brandon are the best of friends who win a contest to spend time with their hero Professor Atlas. These seventh graders find out that they will be traveling to Britain to help Professor Atlas with his latest adventure. Upon meeting Professor Atlas, the boys learn that they will be helping the Professor find the lost Summoning Dagger of Mercastus. It is said that the dagger had been lost after Hallswich Castle had been destroyed. A prophecy handed down from generation to generation stated that the dagger waited to find its rightful owner.

In true adventurer form, Professor Atlas, Tyler, and Brandon immediately find themselves in hot water. Evidentially, they aren't the only ones looking for the dagger. Professor Atlas` old rival Blackjack hijacks them demanding to know the location of Hallswich Castle. Although they manage to escape, it won't be their last run in with Blackjack.

Professor Atlas and the Summoning Dagger is quite the adventure. Not only do the boys find their lives in danger several times but they also travel to the past to actually meet Mercastus. Loved this story completely and can't wait for more adventures from this trio.

Cancer Warrior: Where the Mind Goes
Cancer Warrior: Where the Mind Goes
by Ruth Levine
Edition: Perfect Paperback
5 used & new from CDN$ 37.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Cancer Warrior, Oct. 19 2011
I very much believe that there's a reason for everything. Sometimes, especially during the really tough challenges that life seems to throw at us, it's just so very hard to see the hidden gift. In retrospect, perhaps these experiences provide the greatest gifts because they are so very hard fought.

Ruth Levine is the Cancer Warrior. She's an extraordinary woman in so many ways. In 2006, she was diagnosed with stage four colorectal cancer. Facing chemotherapy, radiation, and major surgery, she made a pledge to herself that she would focus on healing. To that end, she built herself up physically, mentally, and spiritually to face come what may. Then, even in her darkest moments, she not only believed she would win the battle against cancer but she knew that the cancer was meant to make her a better occupational therapist.

Whether our life lesson comes in the form of cancer or something else that shakes us to our core, we need to stay strong and positive. This story is a wonderful example of that faith and courage. Be well Ruth.

Cheating Mother Nature: What You Need to Know to Beat Chronic Pain
Cheating Mother Nature: What You Need to Know to Beat Chronic Pain
by C. C. S. P. William D. Charschan D. C.
Price: CDN$ 22.21
7 used & new from CDN$ 21.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheating Mother Nature, Oct. 7 2011
It seems that family doctors are becoming more like receptionists. You stop by their office, they get some basic information about your symptoms, and then hand you off to a specialist. Depending upon your issue, you may actually see more than one specialist for any given set of problems. While it's comforting to have a "specialist" (read expert) looking out for you, you've got to wonder how all these specialists are going to come up with one all-encompassing plan to cure your ills.

Unfortunately, the reality is that each specialist will look at your symptoms through their own set of rose colored glasses. Thus, each specialist will likely come up with a different plan, one that doesn't necessarily take into account possibilities beyond their own particular speciality. Cheating Mother Nature looks specifically at the nature of chronic pain. The way pain is treated (or managed) depends entirely upon the perception of the doctor. Thus, conditions like Fibromyalgia can be viewed in a variety of different ways.

Still, you've got to wonder if all these tests and specialists are actually helping to find the root cause of the problem. Do all these tests and different viewpoints actually help our family doctor make a diagnosis and come up with an integrated plan? Are we even looking to cure problems anymore or are we just looking to add yet another medication to manage symptoms?

Mack Dunstan's Inferno
Mack Dunstan's Inferno
by Paul Collins
Price: CDN$ 14.78
16 used & new from CDN$ 8.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Mack Dunstan's Inferno, Sept. 20 2011
This review is from: Mack Dunstan's Inferno (Paperback)
You can't take it with you. When you pass over, all your wealth and possessions are left behind. Unfortunately, what we do take with us is our regrets and our fears.

Max "Mack" Dunstan, famous actor and head of the NRA, finds himself taking a tour of Hell. As he travels he meets the famous and the infamous but probably the ones that are most surprising are the average people who don't seem to deserve to be in Hell. After all, they were certainly not evil.

Slowly, Mack comes to release that Heaven and Hell are merely labels. Each person merely sees him or herself, their personal reality manifested. If they are stuck in anger and hate or regret and guilt, then their afterlife will reflect that. However, if they choose to let go and rise above these self-judgements then a different world emerges.

I think the journey changes Mack in a meaningful way. He starts off pretty arrogant expecting that Heaven awaits him. He's lived a good life and feels he has no vices. I don't think the man has ever really looked below the surface of himself. Complete denial.

Poems of Awakening
Poems of Awakening
by Betsy Small
Price: CDN$ 13.25
17 used & new from CDN$ 10.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Poems of Awakening, Sept. 12 2011
This review is from: Poems of Awakening (Paperback)
Poems of Awakening is a collection of poems to be read during savasana. Savasana, also known as the death pose, is meant for deep relaxation. The book is divided into seven parts: My Body Effervesces, Deep Quiet, Now I Become Myself, Healing and Renewal, May My Heart Always Be Open, How a Beautiful Day is Spent, and The All-surrounding Grace. Each section creates a different feel and overall theme gradually relaxing and deepening the experience.

I have to admit, that I tend to practice yoga in silence. My life is chaotic so I see the mat as a bit of a refuge. I like to completely ignore the outside world and get fully immersed in each breath. With this said, I know a lot of people who swear that listening to music or poetry during a session deepens their experience. Reading through the poems in Poems of Awakening, I could definitely feel that possibility.

The way the collection is set out, teachers can pick out as many or few as they like to read to their classes. They could also record them for class use in association with music. Hopefully, at some point, the author does an audio version of this collection.

The Most Important Question
The Most Important Question
by H. Constance Hill
Price: CDN$ 11.25
13 used & new from CDN$ 3.08

4.0 out of 5 stars The Most Important Question, Sept. 12 2011
Albert Einstein has been quoted as saying that the most important question we can ask ourselves is "Is he universe a friendly place, or not?" It's a simple yes or no question. Yet, how we answer it says a lot about how we view the world and our place within it.

The Most Important Question brings this important question to young middle grade aged children. This is the story of a young girl, Alexandra Elizabeth, who asks Einstein what he feels is the most important question ever asked. As she waits for his response, the girl tries to guess what he will say. Upon hearing the question, she has her own answer but begins to explore why she feels that way.

Living Deliberately
Living Deliberately
by Hrvoje Butkovic
7 used & new from CDN$ 10.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Living Deliberately, Sept. 12 2011
This review is from: Living Deliberately (Paperback)
Are you living deliberately? Is life something that happens to you? Are you constantly in reaction mode? Or do you make each moment count? Do you make decisions based upon who you want to be and how you want to live?

Living Deliberately asks the reader to decide for him or herself how they want to live life. Not only what's important and where to focus energy each day but also deeper at what you believe (and whether that works for you). Essentially, making sure that every aspect of your life and being are being experienced deliberately, or as much so as humanly possible.

Peppered throughout the book are stories of average everyday people. These people illustrate common problems or automated reactions. Then, looked at in a different light, the individual opens themselves up to a different way of seeing their situation. Really, a lot of our judgments are just a lack of perspective.

Just a Bunch of Crazy Ideas
Just a Bunch of Crazy Ideas
by Pardu S. Ponnapalli
Price: CDN$ 18.24
5 used & new from CDN$ 10.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a Bunch of Crazy Ideas, Sept. 12 2011
Some of my fondest memories of university were those informal gab sessions in the common room. You'd walk into the room and two or three guys would be adamantly discussing how to solve world hunger or which Star Trek captain would win in a fistfight. Before long, others had joined in the conversation. Everyone was welcome.

Just a Bunch of Crazy Ideas reminds me of those times. We were all so filled with ideas, most of which had very little to do with what we were studying. Afterwards, paying the bills and living our lives took precedent and no one ever made good on any of those crazy ideas.

As with all of those gab session in the university common room, Just a Bunch of Crazy Ideas presents some good ideas and some not so good ideas. Take them as you will. Laugh at them or be inspired by them. Please, please find a better way to deal with cat litter odour but don't you dare change my hockey game.

We Are Love
We Are Love
by Jennifer Black
Price: CDN$ 15.47
21 used & new from CDN$ 11.60

5.0 out of 5 stars We Are Love, Sept. 12 2011
This review is from: We Are Love (Hardcover)
"Love lights up everything you see. Love is who You are."

We Are Love is a beautifully written and illustrated picture book that is made for sharing. It's filled with gentle words with lots of smiling faces, beautiful scenes, and cute little animals. Reminding us what is really important in life.

Perfect anytime, this book seems to naturally encourage cuddling. The first time we read this one, it had been one of those trying mornings. Yet, within a few pages my little guy was snuggling. By the end, I noticed even I felt relaxed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20