ARRAY(0xb43c7360)

Profile for Romance Addict > Reviews

Content by Romance Addict

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Romance Addict

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, Great Romance, Great Characters, July 9 2004
This is a great romance and a great science fiction story. The universe beyond earth as described by the author is imaginative and fascinating. I love the premise of an adventerous woman seeking passage on the first space vessel to have contact with earth. The characters in the book are mature adults (no lame empaths or mystical healing heroines in this sci fi story) who are able to work out their problems by discussing them. The heroine is intelligent, thoughtful, and can rescue herself. And the hero is everything a romance reader wants in a hero - commanding, gentle, respectful, and hot. This is a fascinating, fun-filled adventure - a very satisfying read. I easily rate this book 5 stars. It is part of my keeper collection! If you like sci fi romance, don't pass this gem up.

Contact
Contact
by Susan Grant
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sci Fi Story - Lot of Action, Light on Romance, July 9 2004
This review is from: Contact (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a great science fiction story. The universe beyond earth as described by the author is imaginative and fascinating. The characters in the book are mature adults (no lame empaths or mystical healing heroines in this sci fi story)to whom you can relate. The heroine is intelligent, thoughtful, and can rescue herself. This book seemingly has everything most sci fi romances do not - the only problem is that it is very light on the romance. It is more a story of a group of earthlings escaping from bad aliens. I loved the story and greatly admire the author for her imagination and excellent writing skills. I could have easily rated this book 5 stars if there had been more focus on the relationship. As it is, this is a great story. If you like sci fi with a lot of action, I highly recommend this book. If you are looking for a sci fi with a heavy emphasis on romance, this might not be the book for you.

35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, Great Heroine - I Loved It!, July 9 2004
This is a great romance and a great science fiction story. The universe beyond earth as described by the author is imaginative and fascinating. The characters in the book are mature adults (no lame empaths or mystical healing heroines in this sci fi story)who are able to work out their problems by discussing them. The heroine is intelligent, thoughtful, and can rescue herself. And the hero is downright sexy. I easily rate this book 5 stars. It is part of my keeper collection! If you like sci fi romance, don't pass this gem up.

The Legend of Banzai Maguire (2176 Series, Book 1)
The Legend of Banzai Maguire (2176 Series, Book 1)
by Susan Grant
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Story - Slow Start and Little Light on the Romance, July 9 2004
This is a great science fiction story. The future earth as described by the author is imaginative and fascinating. The characters in the book are mature adults (no lame empaths or mystical healing heroines in this sci fi story)to whom you can relate. The heroine is intelligent, thoughtful, and can rescue herself. This book seemingly has everything most sci fi romances do not - the only problem is that it is very light on the romance, as the main characters do not meet until 1/3 of the way into the book. Due to their very short relationship, the consumation of their relationship occurs before they barely know each other and is very forced (not the act itself, just the manner in which it is included in the book). I could have easily rated this book 5 stars if there had been more focus on the relationship. As it is, this is a great story and a great start to the series. If you like sci fi, I highly recommend this book. If you are looking for a sci fi romance, this might not be the book for you.

After the Ashes
After the Ashes
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Characters/Great Read, April 6 2004
I really enjoyed this book. The characters are three dimensional and interesting people. The secondary characters are fully developed interesting people also. The author did an excellent job with building up [intimate moments] throughout the book. The first [intimate moment] happens towards the beginning of the book, which usually means the rest of the book will be boring. Not so in After The Ashes. The [intimate moments are]hot and exciting throughout the book. This is a wonderful debut for the author. I highly recommend this for lovers of western romance.

Never Marry A Cowboy
Never Marry A Cowboy
by Lorraine Heath
Price: CDN$ 7.59
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Writing Could Not Save This Book, March 24 2004
The plot in this book was pathetic, and even the author's excellent writing could not save it. The event to bring the lead characters together was a fake wedding. The premise is the heroine is dying and her wish before she dies is to have a wedding ceremony. WHO WANTS TO HAVE A FAKE WEDDING???? I could have believed that she would wish for a temporary marriage, a night of passion, a party held in her honor, etc... But I cannot believe that anyone would want just a wedding ceremony as their dying wish. The hero (who apparently works for the Make A Wish Foundation) grants her dying wish.
My second big problem with the book is the heroine's treatment of the hero. She rejects him when she learns of his deep, dark secret. The secret was nothing terrible, so it was difficult for me to believe that anyone would be horrified by it. I think the hero deserved a lot better than the lame, sickly heroine.
In summary, this book was not believable. Most of it did not make sense to me. I would pass on this one.

Never Love A Cowboy
Never Love A Cowboy
by L Heath
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK Read-Not Up To The Standards Of Author's Other Works, March 24 2004
This is the second novel in the author's Englishman in Texas trilogy. The second novel is not as good as the first, and, in no way, compares to the author's Texas series. This is the story of Harry, sent to Texas from England to learn about life by his father. Harry pursues Jessye, but only for sex. Due to his upbringing he has no heart left to give. One of my problems with this book is Harry's whining over his upbringing. I never heard a man whine about the lack of love in his childhood, and I hope I never do - it is a real turn-off!
There are plot twists and a lot of unbelievable coincidences throughout this book. I don't want to give anything away, so I won't describe them. My general complaint is that things became very unbelievable and really hurt the plot of the book.
In summary, this is an enjoyable book, but it is not a keeper.

The Cowboys (Matt)
The Cowboys (Matt)
by Leigh Greenwood
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars It was OK/Not Worthy of the Hype, March 17 2004
This book was a passable western romance. Unlikely coincidences and the heroine prevented this story from being better. I found the frequency of sexual molestation to be too coincidental and not necessary for the poignancy the author was trying to achieve. Further, the heroine was somewhat of a shrew. When she turned away from Matt after his confession, I wanted him to leave her and find somebody worthy of his love. The author was never able to justify the heroine's bad behaviour and redeem her.
One item about the book that I really liked was that the hero was a virgin. Overall, I applaud the author for dealing with a difficult topic (sexual molestation of children), but this book is definitely a grade C.

Silver Lining
Silver Lining
by Maggie Osborne
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Had So Much Potential/Male Lead Ruined It, March 17 2004
This book had so much potential! I love the premise - forced marriages is one of my favorite plots. However, the forced marriage in this book was in doubt in my mind. I never saw the reason for it, which put this whole book on shaky ground for me. I also did not like the hero in this book. First, he unfairly blamed Louise for the marriage. Second, he never did anything great or wonderful to make Louise fall in love with him. Overall, he was rather boring and at times annoying. I never found myself cheering for the main characters to stay together. In the end I wish Louise had packed up her bags and found herself a real man. Another reason I really disliked this book was the villification of Philadelphia. She was a young woman who was wronged by the hero. Instead of letting that story lead to some poignant moments and difficult decisions, the author villified her. One bright note in the book is the main heroine Louise. She was strong and smart, and she learns to value herself. I always like books with strong heroines. Overall the book is not bad, but it is not great either.

Prairie Moon
Prairie Moon
by Maggie Osborne
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Story, March 17 2004
I loved this book. As others noted in their reviews, it is a bit slow. However, I did not mind this. The majority of the book describes the travels of the main characters. During their journey they learn to overcome the hurdles of their past and fall in love. It is a beautiful love story between two people who were never likely to fall in love. I also like the fact that the main characters are mature and discuss their issues (with the exception of one secret which I understood). If you like your stories poignant and mature, then I recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4