ARRAY(0xb3ed02dc)

Profile for D. Berube > Reviews

Content by D. Berube
Top Reviewer Ranking: 140

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

D. Berube (Ottawa, ON Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
INNOVA 3030 Diagnostic Code Reader for OBDII Vehicles
INNOVA 3030 Diagnostic Code Reader for OBDII Vehicles
Price: CDN$ 71.04
3 used & new from CDN$ 71.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For the Basics, March 31 2014
If you're after something that shows live data or code descriptions this OBD scan tool is not for you. If though you're simply after something that can pull diagnostic and ABS codes (that you can then later read up on online), erase your check engine light AFTER you've completed repairs and/or verify your car is ready for emissions testing (if your jurisdiction has emissions testing) this scanner pretty much pays for itself after the first use.

Plus it's simple to operate, simply start the car, plug in the scan tool and once it finishes reading (which depending on the car can range from instant to a minute) you'll get either a green light (all monitors are ready, no codes set), a yellow light (1 or more monitors not ready) or a red light (codes set, monitors ready or not ready). Also because this is an OBDII scan tool, it works on any model of vehicle from 1996 to the present day and I can personally say I've used this scan tool on everything from Toyotas and Hondas to much more elaborate makes such as BMW's and Mercedes and regardless of the make, it performs as well on a BMW as it does on a Toyota.

So as long as you only need the basics and have a bit of patience (my only reason why I can't grant this tool a perfect rating) this is the perfect scan tool for anyone who does DIY car maintenance or is just starting out in the field of automotive repair.

HDE ® 2.5" Usb 2.0 Ide Hard Drive Hdd Case Enclosure - Black
HDE ® 2.5" Usb 2.0 Ide Hard Drive Hdd Case Enclosure - Black
Offered by HDE CA
Price: CDN$ 1.95
4 used & new from CDN$ 1.95

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Good For One Thing, March 31 2014
As the other reviewers have noted, this enclosure works but is extremely cheap (hence the price point). The 2 screws that are used to hold this enclosure closed are stupidly small, very hard to screw in as the holes are poorly formed and the total piece of junk screwdriver they include just makes it that little bit harder.

But with those negatives stated I will say the one reason you should order this enclosure is if you have an old IDE drive (do NOT order this if you have a SATA drive, there's a separate enclosure for that) from a laptop that you need to salvage the data off of (the reason I bought this enclosure myself). For this purpose this enclosure is the perfect solution as it's less than $10 shipped to your door and allows you to get the important data off your old drive and onto to something more reliable or at least up to date.

So as long as you keep in mind this is not an enclosure for creating an external backup drive but instead an excellent tool for your workbench to save old IDE hard drive data, you can't go wrong for the price, just be prepared for some frustration putting this thing together.

Method All Purpose Natural Surface Cleaner, Pink Grapefruit 28 Fluid Ounce (Pack of 8)
Price: CDN$ 31.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, March 5 2014
Sure there are cheaper cleaners that are eco-friendly, but I dare you to try this and not fall in love with scent, let alone the fact this stuff cleans really well. I've used it to clean everything from the kitchen, to the floor and even the bathroom and it does it all exceptionally well. I simply can't recommend this enough to anyone after a nice smelling, yet powerful cleaning product. The fact it's more friendly to the environment is just icing on the cake.

Method Laundry Detergent Refill, Free + Clear (85 Load)
Method Laundry Detergent Refill, Free + Clear (85 Load)
Price: CDN$ 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Detergent, Jan. 19 2014
method usually makes excellent cleaning products and this detergent is no exception. I've been able to get clean jeans with all matter of salt, grease and dirt in them with just 6 pumps of this convenient to use detergent that leaves no mess, has no scent and is better for the environment than your average bottle of Tide. Not to mention that this stuff is still gentle on your clothes color wise, I've yet to see any fading while using this detergent. I seriously can't recommend this stuff enough to anyone who is tired of lugging around the large bottle of detergent, wants something a little more sustainable but still wants some serious cleaning power.

M318e Usb Corded Mouse
M318e Usb Corded Mouse
Offered by OneDealOutlet Canada
Price: CDN$ 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Mouse, Jan. 15 2014
After my Logitech MX400 laser mouse was starting to have problems after some very hard use, I was in the market for a new laser mouse and stumbled on the Logitech M318e mouse in a local computer shop. Now technically this mouse is not aimed at the consumer market, it's aimed at business/commercial deployments as mine came in a standard brown box with nothing but the mouse and a small paper for warranty/information (but really, who needs the more fancy packaging that "consumer" mice come in). So after plugging the mouse in and installing the latest version of Logitech SetPoint from the Logitech website (completely optional, as it's not necessary for the mouse to work) I was off and running.

In terms of form and function, this mouse is a fantastic as it tracks accurately, is a five-button mouse (and with SetPoint installed, the buttons can be re-mapped to perform different functions) and is ergonomic for any user (though lefties will have a harder time using the back/forward buttons on the left side of the mouse). So if you're after an inexpensive, reliable and simple corded laser mouse, I can't recommend the Logitech M318e enough.

Logitech Wireless Desktop MK320
Logitech Wireless Desktop MK320
Price: CDN$ 39.99
12 used & new from CDN$ 29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech Does It Again, Jan. 15 2014
Now I'm a big fan of Logitech in general since they usually produce excellent products and the MK320 keyboard/mouse combo is no exception. I've had my set for over 2 years and I'm still on my original batteries for the keyboard (2 AAA) and replaced the mouse battery twice (1 AA) though that might be because the keyboard and mouse aren't used the majority of the time as they are media center controllers for use at my couch. Not to mention, the mouse and keyboard use the same receiver which I believe has been made smaller since I got my unit, but either way saves on space and USB port loss.

In terms of use, the response of the wireless keyboard is identical to the keyboard attached to the computer, though it does lack LED's to indicate if the Caps lock or other functions are on. It's also fairly comfortable to use and even offers some media controls including Play/Pause, Track Forward or Back, Mute and Volume Up or Down which makes it perfect for media center use. The mouse is fairly basic as it just features your standard right/left mouse click and a scroll wheel and it's also a bit smaller than a desktop mouse so I would not advise using it as your main mouse unless you have smaller hands or really prefer a small mouse. That said, my mouse tracks accurately on a black coffee table or my mousepad and considering I never actually physically turn off the mouse, some pretty good battery life.

So would I recommend this keyboard/mouse combo, absolutely. If you're in the market for a wireless combo and don't need some gaming grade gear this set offers excellent value for the money.

Underground Toys 02937 Doctor Who Future Sonic screwdriver
Underground Toys 02937 Doctor Who Future Sonic screwdriver
Price: CDN$ 27.99
9 used & new from CDN$ 27.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but Flawed, Sept. 20 2013
Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars :3.0 out of 5 stars
Just like my review of the 11th Doctor's sonic screwdriver, this replica of River Song's sonic screwdriver is indeed fun to play with but it's not without it's faults. First off, in my unit at least the LED that provides the light for the screwdriver isn't pointed straight, it's off at a slight angle. Then there's the fact the screwdriver has a plainly visible seam running down the middle of it and the paint job isn't exactly done with the greatest of care. Then there's the fact that several pieces of this screwdriver do not look very solidly attached, which for me is alright as this unit is mostly for display only but I would not recommend buying this for your son or daughter who is a fan of Doctor Who and actually plans to play with it.

But for all my negatives, the screwdriver does indeed light up in two colors and has the neural relay which lights up when depressed for several seconds (this button with a short press triggers the screwdriver to light up in either red or blue) and to the casual eye, still looks great. So while again I wouldn't recommend this "toy" for young Doctor Who fans, for the adult collector who only plans to play with it occasionally and doesn't want to break the bank on higher priced replicas, this sonic screwdriver would be a welcome addition to your ever growing Doctor Who merchandise collection.

Zyliss Quick Blend Whisk
Zyliss Quick Blend Whisk
Price: CDN$ 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, June 2 2013
This review is from: Zyliss Quick Blend Whisk (Kitchen)
Let me start by saying, I absolutely love this whisk. I've used a few other whisks in the past but this one takes the cake for a couple of reasons. For one, this thing is built very well with some heavy gauge wire, unlike most other whisks in this price range. Two, the wires in this whisk do NOT cross each other, which means there's far less buildup on this whisk than traditional designs and thirdly, this thing has a well designed handle, which just makes using this that little bit better. I seriously can't recommend this whisk enough if you ever make batter, whisk eggs or conduct any other cooking task than might require you to combine ingredients together.

Panasonic ESRT51S Rechargeable Wet/Dry Shaver (Silver)
Panasonic ESRT51S Rechargeable Wet/Dry Shaver (Silver)
Price: CDN$ 70.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, May 31 2013
Now I'll say this is the first electric shaver I've owned, in the past I've simply used the disposable blade system razors and on occasion I still will but this shaver is pretty good. First off, it does get very close on hairs, though you may need more than one pass to get them all depending on the hair thickness and speed at which you attempt to shave. Also, the wet/dry feature is quite useful since although you'll get the best results out of this shaver using it wet in the shower with a bit of shave gel/cream, it still does a good job dry if you're in a rush or need to do a quick touchup. Plus this razor once you adjust to it, causes no irritation to the skin during a shave, a huge plus.

Of course this shaver isn't without faults, the biggest one for me is the battery only shows in 20% increments, so you're never exactly sure how much charge the battery really has and you absolutely can't use this shaver while it's plugged in, it only functions while running on the battery. That said a charge lasts quite a while, especially if you don't shave every day so you can easily deal with this limitation.

So while this won't replace the traditional razor if you want baby smooth results, it certainly will cost you less per month and does an excellent job for an electric razor. As a result while I can't give it a perfect score, I can highly recommend this razor to anyone looking to either cut back on shaving costs, or is simply looking a convenient shaving solution that works anywhere.

Kinivo BTH220 Bluetooth Stereo Headphone - Supports Wireless Music Streaming and Hands-Free calling
Offered by BlueRigger Canada
Price: CDN$ 44.99
5 used & new from CDN$ 26.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad for the Price, May 28 2013
Now despite this being my first set of Bluetooth headphones, I knew going in these wouldn't be the holy grail of headphones as Bluetooth just doesn't allow for that, but still I find these headphones do have some notable problems. First off, the range of these headphones is completely variable, they work just fine 6-10 feet away while my phone is stationary but if I attempt to go running with these on, these headphones will randomly cut out despite my phone being about a foot away from my head. Also, even with tweaks on my Galaxy S II, I still find these headphones awfully quiet compared to my Panasonic HTX-7's which are by no means the loudest headphones on the market to begin with.

That said, for my stated negatives, these are lightweight, fold up for storage, connect quickly and sound quality is pretty good considering these are Bluetooth. In short, though I wish I could run with these, I would recommend this set of headphones to anyone who needs a pair of cheap Bluetooth headphones for those long bus rides or for nice casual walks but runners should look elsewhere as these headphones will just be a source of frustration.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7