march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for D. Berube > Reviews

Content by D. Berube
Top Reviewer Ranking: 336

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

D. Berube (Ottawa, ON Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Ammex Gwon Gloveworks Orange Nitrile Glove, Latex Free, Disposable, Powder Free, X-large (box Of 100)
Offered by GDC Warehouse
Price: CDN$ 39.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A Standout Winner, May 17 2016
I've tried quite a few different models of disposable gloves and none have been as impressive as these Ammex Gloveworks. These gloves are thick with ribbing to improve grip and I find these reduce the amount your hands sweat while wearing them compared to other gloves I've tried (most likely due to that ribbing allowing for better air circulation) which would alone be enough to get me to continue buying them. But the real selling point with these gloves is their durability, I've yet to actually rip a pair in use despite snagging them multiple times and exposing them to various chemicals. They simply refuse to break which means I can re-use a pair for many, many tasks and this box of 100 will outlast any other brand/model I have tried to date all while costing no more than some of those other brands did. Simply put, if you're after a durable disposable glove that keeps your hands drier, look no further than the Ammex Gloveworks HD.

Astro Pneumatic 78810 10-Piece Torque Limiting Extension Set
Astro Pneumatic 78810 10-Piece Torque Limiting Extension Set
Price: CDN$ 138.08
11 used & new from CDN$ 138.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A Comprehensive Torque Stick Set For Anyone, March 27 2016
Although the set I have is a MAXIMUM set from Canadian Tire, this Astro Pneumatic set is identical right down to the color coding on the torque sticks, the only difference is the branding on the sticks and case. With that said, I can't recommend these torque sticks enough if you work with tires/wheels enough since they allow you to quickly get a wheel to the specified torque value on each stick as long as you don't overpower them. Many impact wrenches on the market will overpower any torque stick if they are used on to strong a setting so you will have to experiment with your setup to see what settings result in the correct torque being applied.

That said this set is as accurate as the sets from the professional tool brands when used correctly and this set is far more comprehensive since you have a stick for pretty much every torque spec used by auto makers in one set (65, 75, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140 and 150 ft lbs) so you can put wheels on everything from a smart car to a fullsize 2500HD pickup. Add that to the fact this set is less expensive than those professional brands prices for a 5 stick set and it makes this set an excellent buy for anyone who wants to quickly install wheels back onto a vehicle fairly accurately (though I would still double check with a torque wrench when finished, as no torque stick can be dead accurate).

Astro Pneumatic 45040 4-Piece Non-Marring Scraper Set
Astro Pneumatic 45040 4-Piece Non-Marring Scraper Set
Price: CDN$ 13.30
9 used & new from CDN$ 13.30

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Plastic Scraper Set, March 27 2016
My initial reason for buying this set was to remove stick-on wheel weights as my supposedly purpose made scraper was quickly disappearing due to chipping and I figured this couldn't be any worse. For that purpose, this set has far surpassed my expectations as the smaller size out of this set I have dedicated for removing weights despite being a bit dirty, has barely a scratch on the scraping edge despite often needing to hit the end of the scraper with a weight hammer to get the weights to start coming off, all while leaving the wheel finish unharmed. The others I have used to clean windshields of old stickers, remove old sealants and various other cleaning tasks that require a scraper and again they show almost no wear while leaving surfaces unmarred. Needless to say, I can't recommend these Astro Pneumatic scrapers enough since this set cost less than half what the "purpose made" tool did and this set has far outlasted it.

IMPACTO WGRIGGXL Dryrigger Oil and Water Resistant Glove, Yellow/Black
IMPACTO WGRIGGXL Dryrigger Oil and Water Resistant Glove, Yellow/Black
Price: CDN$ 37.45
5 used & new from CDN$ 37.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable Work Gloves, March 27 2016
I bought these to keep my hands from being abused by the vibrations of an pneumatic impact wrench and obviously to keep my hands clean at the same time and these gloves have done both of these tasks very well. Other than a few loose threads and being much dirtier than the day they arrived, they are otherwise undamaged despite spirited use. They also live up to the oil and water resistant claim although if you do get these wet enough, your hands will start feeling damp as these gloves do not have an inner lining to isolate the outer glove materials from your hands, so don't buy these if you want or need something waterproof. Also you will give up dexterity wearing these gloves as the protection these offer means they are on the thick side so often I have to pull one glove off to start a nut or insert a valve core but for the durability and protection these gloves offer I say it's well worth the slight inconvenience. In short if you're after a durable pair of work gloves that offer resistance against water, oil, vibration, these Dryrigger gloves are definitely worth trying out.

Ken-Tool 30171 Wheel Lock Removal Kit - 13 Piece
Ken-Tool 30171 Wheel Lock Removal Kit - 13 Piece
Offered by CanadaAutoSupply
Price: CDN$ 207.65
4 used & new from CDN$ 203.51

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Set But Far From Comprehensive, March 27 2016
Although I own the Matco version of this set, other than the name on the outside of the case, they are identical and I have to say while I don't regret purchasing the set as it's come in quite useful on a number of occasions, I will say for being a "Deluxe" set the coverage this set provides isn't very good. Many McGard wheel locks (the makers of most OEM wheel locks) are just not covered by the sizes of fluted extractors included in this set and unless the locks were torqued correctly, the other extractors which are smooth and rely solely on friction to grip, will just slip off leaving you rather frustrated. In my case I had to supplement my set with a set of fluted 1/2 drive extractors just to deal with most of the wheel locks on the roads today since it's rare for me to find wheel locks torqued to the correct specification (most are overtightened).

That said, when the fluted extractors included do fit, they do grip well and are even easy to get the locks out of thanks to the included punch in the kit. In conclusion, if you deal with the need to get wheel locks off on a regular basis, this set will certainly add to your arsenal of methods of removing them but don't expect this set to be the end all solution.

Liberty Glove & Safety 2018W Nitrile Industrial Glove, Powder Free, Disposable, 8 Mil Thickness, X-Large, Blue (Box of 50)
Price: CDN$ 10.33
4 used & new from CDN$ 10.33

4.0 out of 5 stars An Inexpensive and Durable Disposable Glove, March 6 2016
Out of all the disposable gloves I've tried so far, these Liberty disposables are one of my favorite brands as these gloves are very durable (I rarely rip of one of these gloves open despite repeated use) and often the only reason I put on a new pair is because these gloves just get too dirty to continue using. This means in the 2 months since I ordered my box of gloves, I still have over half of the 50 gloves box remaining (whereas with the 100 in a box Ammex gloves I have reviewed, I would usually be nearing the end of a box) and I almost exclusively use these gloves while working.

That said, while I do love the durability, I am not a fan of the sizing of these particular gloves as although they do fit my hands correctly, these gloves are awfully short in length. For me they barely cover my wrist once put on so often I find my forearms getting dirty whereas the GlovePlus and Greasemonkey gloves I've used tended to cover more, hence why I can't give this particular model a 5-star rating. That said, Liberty does make a 12" long model of these gloves, so if you'd like your gloves to cover more, definitely order those instead (which I'll do once my initial box runs out).

That said, for the price point of these gloves, I've yet to find anything else that competes with the durability of these Liberty gloves so while you may only get 50 in a box and this particular model is on the short side for length, if you're after a relatively inexpensive disposable gloves and don't mind the shorter length, look no further as these gloves are built to last.

Bosch SBID21 Impact Tough Insert Bit Set, 21-Piece
Bosch SBID21 Impact Tough Insert Bit Set, 21-Piece
Price: CDN$ 12.43
11 used & new from CDN$ 12.43

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Pratical Bit Set, March 6 2016
If you own a drill and deal with Torx, Robertson or Philips head fasteners, this Bosch set certainly comes in handy. I use my set with a Bosch drill and these bits have have yet to be damaged in any noticeable way or strip screw heads when the appropriate size is used. The real selling point though like many others have pointed out is the case these bits come in. Though my set lives in a toolbox, with the case opened, the magnets built into the case keep it from moving around in the drawer and the magnets in the top mean I can store my socket adapters for the drill on the flat top surface without them flying around when I close the drawer of my toolbox. This keeps my drill parts well organized and ready to grab at a moments notice. Not to mention this set includes multiples of the most common sizes, so even if you do break or lose a bit, you have backups ready at a moments notice.

In short, at the price point of this set, I can't recommend it enough as the case alone makes this set well worth the money, but the fact the bits are well made and in the most common sizes, have backups at the ready makes this set an absolute steal compared to what's offered at your local big box store.

GearWrench 84946 Metric High-Strength Wheel Protector Impact Socket Set, 3-Piece
Price: CDN$ 33.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 33.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Set, March 6 2016
If you own a vehicle with a nice set of alloy wheels or work in a shop and deal with alloys wheels on a regular basis having this GearWrench set of thin-wall impact sockets will certainly be a welcomed addition to your toolbox as the included plastic protectors that slide on to these sockets will keep wheels from being scratched but can be easily removed if you need that little bit of extra clearance (often an issue on aftermarket wheels that support more than one bolt pattern). Not to mention this set comes with 17mm, 19mm and 21mm sockets so you do have coverage for most domestic and foreign vehicles on the roads today, though you will have to buy a 22mm socket separately for larger vehicles such as later model Honda Odysseys, or larger vehicles such as pickup trucks and SUV's.

One key note though is don't purchase this set expecting them to become the only impact socket set you'll ever need. Any thin-wall socket, regardless of manufacturer, will eventually break so if you don't need the thin-wall clearance or protection features of these sockets (say putting on or taking off winter steel wheels), stick to standard impact sockets and these should last for years to come. But even with that disclaimer, I have to say these GearWrench versions have been holding up well in my shop use and I see no reason why these won't last as long as the "professional" brands offerings (though I will update my review if I ever break one). Plus, I do appreciate the color coding the protectors on the sockets as it makes it quite easy to grab the right size quickly.

So while this isn't a complete set for your average technician, at the price point and quality GearWrench delivers here, I can't deduct a star for not including a 22mm and I would definitely recommend picking up a set of if you deal with alloy wheels and would like to keep them looking nice.

niceeshop(TM) RCA Female to F Type Male (Inch) Coax Adapter Connector-Silver
niceeshop(TM) RCA Female to F Type Male (Inch) Coax Adapter Connector-Silver
Offered by niceEshop
Price: CDN$ 2.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job Beautifully, Jan. 5 2016
If you're looking to bring your Atari 2600 with you into the modern age of flat panel displays or simply need a way to hook it up to to a older CRT, look no further than this adapter. Simply screw the adapter onto the coaxial input on the back of your TV, plug the output cable from your Atari into the other end, turn to channel 3 and you'll be enjoying River Raid, Jungle Hunt and all your other favorites on your TV in no time. Just be prepared to order this adapter ahead of time as it is shipped from China and does take a few weeks to arrive but considering the price, it's worth the wait.

Ammex XNPF48100 Xtreme Powder Free Nitrile Gloves, 230mm Length, Beaded Cuff, Extra Large, Pack of 100 (Blue)
Price: CDN$ 9.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Disappointing Disposable Glove, Jan. 5 2016
Like some other disposable gloves I've tried I'm less than impressed with these Ammex Xtreme gloves as they aren't terribly durable (I've actually torn or broken these ones open easier than the Ammex GlovePlus I've also reviewed and currently use for oil changes and basic maintenance tasks) and considering their durability, they are a poor value for how much they cost (around $2 less for a box than the GlovePlus). In my case I've relegated my box to bulb changes (which are used once for a bulb change and depending on the location of the bulb, they sometimes don't even survive the duration of a bulb change) until it's empty and then I'll try something else as these are far too expensive to end up being that disposable. That said, I find the fit of these gloves to be a bit on the larger side for an XL (just like the GlovePlus) so they are easier to pull off once done with them.

In short, if you're after something for automotive work, look elsewhere but for basic household cleaning tasks, if you're after something a little more durable than the sub $10 box at your local big box store these might be worth a purchase, just don't expect them to last significantly longer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11