biss boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno
Profile for D. Berube > Reviews

Content by D. Berube
Top Reviewer Ranking: 333

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

D. Berube (Ottawa, ON Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
niceeshop(TM) RCA Female to F Type Male (Inch) Coax Adapter Connector-Silver
niceeshop(TM) RCA Female to F Type Male (Inch) Coax Adapter Connector-Silver
Offered by niceEshop
Price: CDN$ 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job Beautifully, Jan. 5 2016
If you're looking to bring your Atari 2600 with you into the modern age of flat panel displays or simply need a way to hook it up to to a older CRT, look no further than this adapter. Simply screw the adapter onto the coaxial input on the back of your TV, plug the output cable from your Atari into the other end, turn to channel 3 and you'll be enjoying River Raid, Jungle Hunt and all your other favorites on your TV in no time. Just be prepared to order this adapter ahead of time as it is shipped from China and does take a few weeks to arrive but considering the price, it's worth the wait.

Ammex XNPF48100 Xtreme Powder Free Nitrile Gloves, 230mm Length, Beaded Cuff, Extra Large, Pack of 100 (Blue)
Price: CDN$ 13.32
4 used & new from CDN$ 13.32

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Disappointing Disposable Glove, Jan. 5 2016
Like some other disposable gloves I've tried I'm less than impressed with these Ammex Xtreme gloves as they aren't terribly durable (I've actually torn or broken these ones open easier than the Ammex GlovePlus I've also reviewed and currently use for oil changes and basic maintenance tasks) and considering their durability, they are a poor value for how much they cost (around $2 less for a box than the GlovePlus). In my case I've relegated my box to bulb changes (which are used once for a bulb change and depending on the location of the bulb, they sometimes don't even survive the duration of a bulb change) until it's empty and then I'll try something else as these are far too expensive to end up being that disposable. That said, I find the fit of these gloves to be a bit on the larger side for an XL (just like the GlovePlus) so they are easier to pull off once done with them.

In short, if you're after something for automotive work, look elsewhere but for basic household cleaning tasks, if you're after something a little more durable than the sub $10 box at your local big box store these might be worth a purchase, just don't expect them to last significantly longer.

TEKTON 30605 Fiberglass Handle Rubber Mallet, 32-Ounce
TEKTON 30605 Fiberglass Handle Rubber Mallet, 32-Ounce
Price: CDN$ 12.49
5 used & new from CDN$ 12.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Addition to Your Tool Collection, Jan. 5 2016
I've purchased a few TEKTON products in the past and they continue to impress me with the quality they deliver at such affordable price points. This rubber mallet is no exception, the fiberglass handle is strong, lightweight and keeps your striking force in the tool, not your hands while the nice 32oz. head can deliver a good blow to whatever your need to pressure to move either out or into place without leaving marks on delicate surfaces. So if you're after a good rubber mallet, this TEKTON is a highly recommended choice.

GearWrench 81012P 120XP Full Polish Flex Teardrop Ratchet, 1/4-Inch
GearWrench 81012P 120XP Full Polish Flex Teardrop Ratchet, 1/4-Inch
Price: CDN$ 25.33
10 used & new from CDN$ 25.33

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Ratchet, Jan. 5 2016
I have to say I debated quite hard as to what rating to give this 1/4 ratchet as although I do love this ratchet I can by no means call it a perfect. That said, I'll start with what I love, this ratchet does have a great feel to it and the 120XP feature certainly makes it very handy. I've used the ratchet many times in tight spaces and can get a fastener moving easily that my older big box store ratchet could maybe get a single click out of (sometimes with great effort). Not to mention this ratchet has the flex head, which further improves this ratchet's access to tight areas.

My one gripe though is although the direction switch is flush with the head of the ratchet (so in theory this prevents accidental switching of direction) I still find it easy to kick the switch over while using this 1/4 model as it offers little resistance when touched. That said, while this can be annoying, at the price point of this 1/4 model and it's numerous advantages over similarly priced ratchets (pretty much nothing in this price range competes with this), I can't bring myself to dock the ratchet a star for it.

In general if you're after a nice 1/4 ratchet without dropping the big bucks to your local Snap-On, Mac or Matco dealer, this GearWrench 120XP is a compelling choice that I can't recommend enough despite that switch being a slight annoyance. There's simply nothing else I've seen that offers a better value for your money.
In conclusion, if you're after

Corsair Vengeance K70 Black Cherry MX Brown (CH-9000067-NA)
Corsair Vengeance K70 Black Cherry MX Brown (CH-9000067-NA)
3 used & new from CDN$ 305.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A Keyboard Worth The Asking Price, Dec 18 2015
For awhile I had debated whether spending over $100 on a keyboard was worth while, till now I had always used sub $30 Logitech keyboards and usually been quite happy. Lately though my cheap Logitech keyboard ($10 refurb unit) had been annoying me as it has no media controls and wasn't the best keyboard for typing for extended periods. So when this Corsair came up on sale, I finally relented and purchased a Cherry MX Brown switch model and I haven't regretted that purchase since the day I first brought this keyboard home. It's a dream to type on, has the satisfying mechanical feel/sound without being obnoxiously loud and of course media control with a volume wheel (which I love having, it makes adjusting the volume of something very quick and easy with one motion).

Of course you also you get red backlighting that honestly isn't that great. Though you can switch between lighting the entire keyboard or just your main gaming keys, the lighting is far from even on the top row of number keys (the symbols on the tops of the keys are much brighter than the numbers on the bottoms of the keys) and honestly the backlighting isn't the reason I purchased this board, so on my unit, I keep the lighting turned off almost all the time. Finally to round things off you do get a USB port on the back which does offer convenience to plug in a USB drive or other USB accessory should your PC not be in easy reach.

So while I may not be the biggest fan of the lighting, it's far from being something I could dock a star for, especially since it's easily disabled. So as long as you're after a keyboard that doesn't carry the full RGB back-lighting of higher Corsair models or some of the competition (such as the Logitech G910 Orion Spark), this is a fantastic choice of keyboard to round out a good PC build.

K-D Tools KD3358 Wheel Weight Tool
K-D Tools KD3358 Wheel Weight Tool
Offered by CanadaAutoSupply
Price: CDN$ 39.54
5 used & new from CDN$ 39.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Perfect, But Still An Excellent Tool, Nov. 1 2015
While this is a great wheel weight hammer/removal tool, I can't say it's perfect as the tip of the tool that actually pulls weights off on my tool is just wide enough that it struggles to pull some wheel weights that have very small holes in their clips off which results in me reaching for one of the tools that is supplied by my shop. That said, unlike those tools, this one has a hard plastic cover on the hammer which transmits more striking force to the weight than the soft rubber used on the shop ones while still preventing marring/damage to the new weight or the rim and as long as the hole isn't too small in the weights clip, this tool has pulled off weights that the others simply refused to.

Also, as other reviews on Amazon.com have noted, there are 2 version of this tool. The unit I received from my seller was the original KD Tools version whereas most sellers these days will send the GearWrench version. Functionally speaking, they are the same tool, the only difference between them is KD version has a red handle whereas the GearWrench version is nearly all black. Should it matter which version you get, no, this is an excellent wheel weight tool regardless of what version you receive for most clip-on weights and were it not for the fact it struggles with those stupidly small holed weights, I would gladly give it a perfect rating

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)
Offered by Westpac Technology
Price: CDN$ 119.50
37 used & new from CDN$ 119.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Upgrade, Nov. 1 2015
I bought a 250GB 850 EVO to replace an aging 60GB SSD that was simply too small for my needs these days and I must say, I don't regret spending these couple of extra bucks on an EVO drive over some of the competition's cheaper options as Samsung makes switching to your new SSD very simple with their drive migration tool (available from their website, no redemption codes necessary) and their Magician software makes optimizing your existing Windows installation for SSD use very simple if you've never used an SSD before. Am I using the full potential of this drive, no, in my benchmarks SATA II (the maximum supported by the laptop it's installed in) limits this drive to roughly half it's rated read and write speeds (274MB/s read, 262MB/s write) but even performing at half it's potential, it still outdoes the old SSD it replaced in bootup time and general system performance.

In short, if you've got an older PC/laptop that's getting awfully slow with age, buying an 850 EVO will breathe new life into it, even if you can't use it's full potential and it will make this process easy for anyone to perform as long as you can use a screwdriver to install it (and if installing in a laptop, have an external hard drive enclosure handy, as it makes duplicating your old drive much easier).

King Canada K-2538H Arctic Flex-Hybrid Polymer Industrial Air Hoses, 25-Feet x 3/8-Inch
Offered by ToolTown Canada
Price: CDN$ 34.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 23.42

4.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Air Hose, Oct. 20 2015
I have to say, I wanted to love this hose and while I don't regret purchasing it, it didn't blow me away either. While the hybrid polymer does make this hose very flexible and pretty much completely kink resistant, under pressure this hose does not like to lay flat or coil consistently (something my older, less kink resistant hose was much better at), which it makes it very hard to store out of the way neatly while working during the day.

That said, this hose is proving to be far more durable than others I've used in the past, largely due to the built in strain relief at each end (a common failure point on cheaper hoses I've tried) and fairly resistant to everyday shop exposure to various chemicals and abrasion (it's been pinched many times by car hoists without so much as a blister) so while I can't give this hose a perfect score on account of being a pain to get to lay flat or coil neatly under pressure, I can say if that kind of thing doesn't bother you much, this King air hose offers good durability at a fair price.

Monoprice 10-Feet USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Extension 28/24AWG Cable (Gold Plated) (105434)
Price: CDN$ 4.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Performance, Oct. 20 2015
Though this feels like a quality cable and at first this cable was exactly what I was looking for, I have to say I'm disappointed with this product's performance over time. I originally bought this cable to add some extra length to my HTC's charging cord (which I had done with a shorter extension cable in the past) and for the first few weeks it did so wonderfully, but lately the cable triggers my One M8 to warn of slow charging or quite a few times left me surprised to find out many hours later it's hasn't charged my phone at all. Unplug and replug the cable back in though and it often resolves the issue until the next time I go to use it. On the other hand, the minute I switch back to that existing cable I've had for many years all the problems disappear. Needless to say, as a result of this inconsistent performance I can't give this any higher than a 2 star rating as it does technically "work", it just doesn't always work when you want it to.

Knipex 7402250 10-Inch High Leverage Diagonal Cutters, Comfort Grip
Knipex 7402250 10-Inch High Leverage Diagonal Cutters, Comfort Grip
Offered by UrbanInspirations
Price: CDN$ 107.65
9 used & new from CDN$ 45.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, Long Lasting Cutters, Oct. 7 2015
If you're after a pair of diagonal cutters, these Knipex cutters should be high on your list. I've used many of the cheap ones available at your local hardware or big box store and even some more expensive brands such as Mac and these Knipex ones are hands down the best I've used. They will cut through many things those others cutters take some effort to cut (wire, valve stems, nails), thanks to the long handles, without so much as a scratch. My pair still close perfectly and I've yet to mark the cutting blades despite spirited use, something my old cutters could not do after a month of use. I will say though, unless you're going to use them all the time, you could probably get away with purchasing the standard dipped handles (which are usually cheaper). The comfort grip handles, while nice to hold, are far from necessary with the effort these cutters require to cut materials. But whether you purchase the standard handles or the comfort grip ones, if you're after an excellent pair of diagonal cutters, Knipex has you covered with these diagonal cutters.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10