Profile for D. Berube > Reviews

Content by D. Berube
Top Reviewer Ranking: 139

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

D. Berube (Ottawa, ON Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Zyliss Quick Blend Whisk
Zyliss Quick Blend Whisk

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, June 2 2013
This review is from: Zyliss Quick Blend Whisk (Kitchen)
Let me start by saying, I absolutely love this whisk. I've used a few other whisks in the past but this one takes the cake for a couple of reasons. For one, this thing is built very well with some heavy gauge wire, unlike most other whisks in this price range. Two, the wires in this whisk do NOT cross each other, which means there's far less buildup on this whisk than traditional designs and thirdly, this thing has a well designed handle, which just makes using this that little bit better. I seriously can't recommend this whisk enough if you ever make batter, whisk eggs or conduct any other cooking task than might require you to combine ingredients together.

Panasonic ESRT51S Rechargeable Wet/Dry Shaver (Silver)
Panasonic ESRT51S Rechargeable Wet/Dry Shaver (Silver)
Offered by NextDay
Price: CDN$ 75.65
4 used & new from CDN$ 75.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, May 31 2013
Now I'll say this is the first electric shaver I've owned, in the past I've simply used the disposable blade system razors and on occasion I still will but this shaver is pretty good. First off, it does get very close on hairs, though you may need more than one pass to get them all depending on the hair thickness and speed at which you attempt to shave. Also, the wet/dry feature is quite useful since although you'll get the best results out of this shaver using it wet in the shower with a bit of shave gel/cream, it still does a good job dry if you're in a rush or need to do a quick touchup. Plus this razor once you adjust to it, causes no irritation to the skin during a shave, a huge plus.

Of course this shaver isn't without faults, the biggest one for me is the battery only shows in 20% increments, so you're never exactly sure how much charge the battery really has and you absolutely can't use this shaver while it's plugged in, it only functions while running on the battery. That said a charge lasts quite a while, especially if you don't shave every day so you can easily deal with this limitation.

So while this won't replace the traditional razor if you want baby smooth results, it certainly will cost you less per month and does an excellent job for an electric razor. As a result while I can't give it a perfect score, I can highly recommend this razor to anyone looking to either cut back on shaving costs, or is simply looking a convenient shaving solution that works anywhere.

Kinivo BTH220 Bluetooth Stereo Headphone - Supports Wireless Music Streaming and Hands-Free calling
Offered by BlueRigger Canada
Price: CDN$ 44.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 26.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad for the Price, May 28 2013
Now despite this being my first set of Bluetooth headphones, I knew going in these wouldn't be the holy grail of headphones as Bluetooth just doesn't allow for that, but still I find these headphones do have some notable problems. First off, the range of these headphones is completely variable, they work just fine 6-10 feet away while my phone is stationary but if I attempt to go running with these on, these headphones will randomly cut out despite my phone being about a foot away from my head. Also, even with tweaks on my Galaxy S II, I still find these headphones awfully quiet compared to my Panasonic HTX-7's which are by no means the loudest headphones on the market to begin with.

That said, for my stated negatives, these are lightweight, fold up for storage, connect quickly and sound quality is pretty good considering these are Bluetooth. In short, though I wish I could run with these, I would recommend this set of headphones to anyone who needs a pair of cheap Bluetooth headphones for those long bus rides or for nice casual walks but runners should look elsewhere as these headphones will just be a source of frustration.

Underground Toys DR115 Doctor Who Tardis 4-Port USB Hub Station
Underground Toys DR115 Doctor Who Tardis 4-Port USB Hub Station
Offered by Real Merch Ltd UK
Price: CDN$ 26.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any Doctor Who Fan, March 27 2013
Well if you're like me, you love looking at a certain websites Doctor Who section and I always kept looking at the Doctor Who TARDIS USB hub, well finally I said screw it and bought one while at Ottawa Comiccon. Needless to say this has to be my favorite PC gadget I've ever bought, it's beautifully detailed, well put together and the novelty of the hearing the TARDIS taking off and seeing the light on top flash every time I connect something like my smartphone to it, simply never wears off (or alternatively whenever you press the button on the front).

As to how it functions as a hub, beautifully is the word, I've never seen a slowdown caused by it, it never loses track of the devices connected to it and I've never had anything not work on it (though my external USB drive will not trigger the TARDIS sound effects when plugged in). That said, one key note is while this hub does have the option of using an AC adapter for extra juice for those demanding devices, the hub does NOT include one, so if you need the extra power, you'll have to buy one yourself.

That said, would I recommend this hub to any Doctor Who fan, yes, a thousand times yes, it's useful and looks downright awesome.

Doctor Who Eleventh Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver Wiimote Controller
Doctor Who Eleventh Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver Wiimote Controller
Offered by The Digital Vault
Price: CDN$ 179.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Save Yourself The Trouble, March 19 2013
This is one of those shut up and take my money products, I mean it's a Wii controller shaped like a sonic screwdriver, what Doctor Who fan with a Wii wouldn't enjoy this. Problem is, the only enjoyment you'll ever get out of these is looking at them (hence why I give them a 2, they are still awesome to look at) because these controllers are downright horrible. I ended up with 2 of them after the first one flat out refused to work, the replacement isn't much better. While it can connect with a Wii, the tracking is terribly inaccurate and fails as it's one job, being a controller. Plus to top it all off, after buying these, I read up on them a little more and it seems those who do get working versions, often end up with dead/non-charging batteries (which aren't replaceable, due to these remotes using built in rechargeable batteries).

In other words, unless you want to spend money on getting non-functioning remotes that happen to be nice to look at, I would strongly suggest passing on this product. It's a real shame too, I would have loved for this product to have worked properly.

Underground Toys 03407 Doctor Who 11th Sonic Screwdriver
Underground Toys 03407 Doctor Who 11th Sonic Screwdriver
Offered by GameSeek UK
Price: CDN$ 21.63
28 used & new from CDN$ 21.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun But Not Perfect, Feb. 23 2013
Now I'll preface this by saying I wanted to love this product, as any big fan of Doctor Who would but this replica of Matt Smith's sonic screwdriver falls short. For starters, this isn't a quality product, the seams from the plastic molding are plainly visible, there's exposed screw heads plainly visible and the toy itself has issues. Mine sometimes refuses to light up in the extended position without shaking (due to a poorly designed contact system) and the cap that covers the button on the bottom doesn't like to stay closed.

That said, the novelty of being able to extend the screwdriver, watch it light up and make the noise of the sonic screwdriver doesn't wear off and considering the price of this toy, it's not a terrible deal. So while I would be aware of the quality of this "toy", at the price, it's a reasonable purchase for any Who fan who can't afford some of the higher priced replicas but still want to get in on some sonic action.

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - PlayStation 3
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - PlayStation 3
Offered by VGP Video Games Plus
Price: CDN$ 20.21
27 used & new from CDN$ 17.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely A Fun Time, Feb. 7 2013
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Now if you go into Civilization Revolution expecting a full-on PC like Civilization experience, you will be disappointed, but if you understand that in the quest to make this game more appealing to the console crowd, some aspects of this game are simplified or sped up, you'll have a great time. Seriously, this is one of the favorite games for PS3 that I still enjoy playing from time to time as although the game can get challenging, especially towards the beginning as you sometimes struggle to get up and running, it's fairly quick paced (games finish in hours, not days) and offers up a decent multi-player experience should you wish to play against some friends or complete strangers.

If you can score this game for a decent price, I would highly recommend it if you want to play Civilization without it becoming a major time commitment (which the PC versions can unfortunately become).

Underground Toys DR48 Doctor Who Tardis Talking Cookie Jar
Underground Toys DR48 Doctor Who Tardis Talking Cookie Jar
Offered by Real Merch Ltd UK
Price: CDN$ 39.99
11 used & new from CDN$ 34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for fans of Doctor Who and Cookies, Feb. 7 2013
Needless to say if you love Doctor Who and cookies, this is something you should seriously consider. While it's not bigger on the inside and may in fact never lead you on adventures in time, it does hold your cookies, looks absolutely awesome (even people who know nothing about Doctor Who still think it's cool) and hearing the TARDIS dematerialization noise every time you close the lid on this cookie jar is just the icing on the cake.

So what are you waiting for, stop reading the reviews and add this to your Doctor Who collection now.

Army Of Two
Army Of Two
Offered by 1stVideo
Price: CDN$ 33.79
10 used & new from CDN$ 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Alright, Just Don't Pay Much For It, Jan. 13 2013
Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Army Of Two (Video Game)
Now I'll preface by saying I bought this game near it's original release but not much has changed between then and now. Anyway Army of Two is your run of the mill third person shooter with some new twists including back to back segments where you and your partner (whether A.I or an actual person) face back to back to take on your enemies. Now the game itself isn't the most compelling and believe me, if you play with the computer as your teammate you will have times where you wish you could shoot him instead as the A.I in this game is brainless and uncoordinated. That said, it can be great fun if you have someone with you to play the game with.

The problem is nowadays, you're partner has to be at your TV since EA discontinued the online servers for Army of Two over a year and a half ago, making a chunk of the game completely worthless, online co-operative multiplayer or the regular multiplayer system.

So in closing if you can pick up Army of Two cheap somewhere and have a buddy to play it with, I'd recommend it, just don't expect to get 80 hours of solid gameplay here.

The Dark Knight Trilogy Limited Edition Giftset (Batman Begins / The Dark Knight / The Dark Knight Rises) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Offered by Expedited Logistics
Price: CDN$ 36.50
8 used & new from CDN$ 35.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Boxset with a few Issues, Jan. 10 2013
Well as any fan of Batman could tell you when this set was released it was excellent value, all 3 movies on Blu-Ray for less than $40, along with special features and a abridged version of The Art and Making of the Dark Knight Trilogy (and I mean abridged, it's mostly photos with a bit of text, unlike the original book). Of course the movies themselves are excellent although Warner Brothers took some shortcuts on this set. Besides the much abridged version of the book included, Batman Begins doesn't include near the amount of special features, hence they are included on the same disc as the movie itself, unlike the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises which include separate bonus features discs. Finally, the packaging itself, while beautiful sticks out on your shelf like a sore thumb because it's not Blu-Ray sized, let alone DVD sized so to someone like me, it's rather annoying. Finally this set was a limited production run for the holiday season so nowadays unless you get lucky, prices are nowhere near as reasonable.

So where do I stand with this, well I love this set and it finally checks off adding Batman to the Blu-Ray collection but at the current prices, I can't advise to pick up this set for yourself with what this set includes. You would be better off either waiting for the inevitable trilogy release that will include even more content or just buying the movies separately (as both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight can be picked up dirt cheap nowadays).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8