ARRAY(0xa982f840)

Profile for MichelBourgeois > Reviews

Content by MichelBourgeois
Top Reviewer Ranking: 249

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

MichelBourgeois (Moncton New Brunswick)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
St. Vincent
St. Vincent
Price: CDN$ 11.93
20 used & new from CDN$ 10.79

5.0 out of 5 stars St. Vincent, Feb. 27 2014
This review is from: St. Vincent (Audio CD)
I'm not quite sure how she does it, but Annie Clark has just delivered yet another masterpiece. Two of her previous CDs would have to be in my top ten of all time ("Strange Mercy" and her collaboration with David Byrne "Love This Giant"). This one is just as amazing. "Digital Witness" is certainly an extension of the sounds of "Love This Giant", lyrically it seems to relate how people interact with each other in this digital age. On "Prince Johnny", her voice is sublime. The quality is faultless throughout. She's certainly a true artist that continually evolves. On track to become my favourite recording this year.

El Prado
El Prado
Price: CDN$ 16.59
15 used & new from CDN$ 10.68

5.0 out of 5 stars El Prado, Feb. 19 2014
This review is from: El Prado (Audio CD)
This is an epic work of art from a band comprised of members from New Zealand, the States and Canada. The 1st single is one of the best songs you'll hear all year "Leave The Door Wide Open". No fillers on this one at all. You'll hear comparisons from The National and also touches of BLue October, but in all a wholly satisfying package. What an addition to an already stellar lineup from Arts & Crafts. A truly satisfying discovery :-)

Happiness: Deluxe Edition
Happiness: Deluxe Edition
Price: CDN$ 22.77
21 used & new from CDN$ 6.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness, Jan. 8 2014
Happiness is the excellent debut from this British duo. It's filled with well-crafted melancholic pop songs that alternate between synth-propulsed beats and gorgeous ballads. Favourites include "Wonderful Life", "Better Than Love" and the amazing ballds "Stay" and "The Water" . Also included on this deluxe edition, you get a great cover of Kylie Minogue's "Confide In Me" A great debut.

Exile (CD/DVD)
Exile (CD/DVD)
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 21.74
23 used & new from CDN$ 15.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Exile, Jan. 8 2014
This review is from: Exile (CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
Exile is this British duo's 2nd CD. A little less pop than their debut which I loved as well. I have to admit it took me a few listens to fully appreciate this one. I have both editions, and if I were to recommend one it would be to get the deluxe issue. Two excellent extra songs on this one, the propulsive "Heaven" and the beautiful ballad "Guilt" Theo Hutchcraft has a beautiful voice, and it suits perfectly to the noirish-pop music. In all an excellent CD.

Hearts & Knives
Hearts & Knives
Price: CDN$ 25.52
17 used & new from CDN$ 9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Hearts & Knives, Dec 17 2013
This review is from: Hearts & Knives (Audio CD)
I have to admit I wasn't really aware of Visage's music except for the New Romantic classic "Fade To Grey" . Almost 30 years since their last album, they released "Hearts & Knives" in May of this year. The first song I heard from the CD was the 1st single "Shameless Fashion" . It reminded me a lot of the 80's music that I loved (OMD/The Human League/ Duran Duran). Immediately the song felt like a classic, so I decided to purchase this upon release. I absolutely love most of the album. "She's Electric (Coming Around)", "Never Enough", "Dreamer I Know", + the aforementioned "Shameless Fashion" are my favourites on a very satisfying release. For me, this was a great discovery, and I'm sure existing fans were pleased as well. For fans of New Romantics, New Wave and Synthpop music, this is definitely for you.

The Next Day Extra [2 CD + DVD]
The Next Day Extra [2 CD + DVD]
Price: CDN$ 29.70
36 used & new from CDN$ 20.07

5.0 out of 5 stars .... and the next and another day, Dec 17 2013
When The Next Day came out in March of this year, it quickly became my favourite CD of this year. After the near ten-year gap since his last recording "Reality", his fans were pretty much resigned to the fact that he would probably never record again. But then he released The Next Day, and not only is it a great recording, it's become one of my favourites ever. This expanded Extra edition adds 10 songs to the standard issue. 3 of these were already on the deluxe issue (Plan/I'll Take You There/ So She), 2 remixes (Love is Lost/ I'd Rather Be High) + 5 additional songs. The best of the lot for me would be "The Informer" which could have easily been on the 1st edition. It's just a classic Bowie song with great vocals, lyrics and music. A close second would be "God Bless The Girl". In all, just a great addition to an already epic album.

Aventine
Aventine
Price: CDN$ 11.30
20 used & new from CDN$ 10.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Aventine, Oct. 15 2013
This review is from: Aventine (Audio CD)
Aventine is Agnes Obel's follow-up CD to the beautiful "Philharmonics". This one, in my opinion, is even better starting with the haunting instrumental "Chord Left". The next 3 songs are my favourites off the album "Fuel to Fire/ Dorian/ Aventine". The rest of the songs are just as stunning as well though. The mostly piano and string- based music itself is very stark and calming. To describe the beauty of this CD, I would call this classical pop. Definitely on my top 3 for the year.

Warring
Warring
Price: CDN$ 15.23
23 used & new from CDN$ 7.77

5.0 out of 5 stars The Darcys, Sept. 17 2013
This review is from: Warring (Audio CD)
What an absolutely amazing way to start the beginning of fall. The music releases the last couple of months have been a bit disappointing. Warring, the new release by Canadian band The Darcys is an epic work from start to finish. From the very first minutes of opener "Close To Me", you can feel the buildup of tension and drama. You can tell the band has taken care of making sure every note has its place, and has created an amazing work of art. Aesthetically, the band reminds of the Scandinavian bands that I love like Kashmir, Mew, Turboweekend, VETO... Anyway, if you're looking for intelligent artful rock music with soulful electronic edges, you certainly should give this a try.

Trouble Will Find Me
Trouble Will Find Me
Price: CDN$ 12.00
34 used & new from CDN$ 7.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Grace..., May 23 2013
This review is from: Trouble Will Find Me (Audio CD)
As with any other recordings by The National, it can take a few listens to fully appreciate all that it encompasses. That's why I wanted to wait until I had listened to it a few times before I gave my opinion on it. Their last CD " High Violet" is probably my favorite album of all time and I still listen to it every few days. As always, what makes The National special is a few things: a) Matt Berninger's beautiful baritone, b) his heartfelt and poignant lyrics, c) Bryan Devendorf's underrated drumming, d) Aaron and Bryce Dessner's amazing musicianship. Their latest CD "Trouble Will Find Me" continues the path of excellent recordings since their 2nd album "Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers". My personal favorites on this right now are "Slipped" which is probably one of their best ballads they've ever recorded, and the uptempo songs "Graceless" and "Don't Swallow The Cap". The other songs are great as well, and I will probably add them to my favourite list as I continue to listen to this amazing CD. The National to me are the best band out there right now. If you've never listened to The National, you could start with this one or any one of their last 4 albums. They are that good.

Arts & Crafts: 2003-2013
Arts & Crafts: 2003-2013
Price: CDN$ 15.99
24 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Arts & Crafts, May 19 2013
This is an amazing retrospective of Canada's best independent label. The constant thing about Arts & Crafts is they keep on releasing class recordings not only from this country's best artists, but from great bands from around the globe as well. This 2-CD compilation consists of great songs such as "7/4 (Shoreline)" by Broken Social Scene, "Your Ex-Lover is Dead" and "Elevator Love Letter" by Stars, "I Feel it All" by Feist", "Being Here" by The Stills, "Rows of Houses" by Dan Mangan , "I'll Bring the Sun" by Jason Collett and "Are You Gonna Waste My Time" by Zeus. The 2nd disc includes b-sides or songs that hadn't been included on any other recording. One of the songs on that 2nd disc "Islands in the Stream" by Feist and The Constantines is worth the price alone. Also a new compilation called "X" is due out May 28th featuring collaborations by 20 of the label's artists on 10 songs comprising of interpretations and new music. I personnally cannot wait to purchase a copy (or 2).....Love Love Love this label :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5