Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amazon Customer "stephstress" (Cypress, CA United States)

A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One
A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One
by George R.R. Martin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 10.79
105 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy for the non-fantasy reader, July 18 2004
My husband, an avid fantasy reader, has tried for years to get me interested in the genre. One evening when I was desperate for something to read, he handed me this book and begged me to give it a chance. I was hooked from page one! The writing is exceptional, and the characters--especially the women--are well developed. What strikes me most about Martin's work is that it is brutally honest and the characters act and think like real people...they don't seem at all like the stereotypical "heroes" I've encountered in other books. One word of caution to those who don't read a lot of fantasy, be sure to give yourself a few chapters to get into this book. Until I figured out how this world worked I found myself confused a lot, and I kept having to ask my husband to clarify certain points. Once I "got it" though, I had no trouble reading. This book (and entire series) is so amazing it transcends genre and can appeal to any reader.

Search For Joyful
Search For Joyful
by Benedict Freedman
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect Mrs. Mike, March 27 2003
This review is from: Search For Joyful (Hardcover)
You will thoroughly enjoy this book if you don't expect it to be Mrs. Mike and if you are looking for a fluffy, easy-to-read escape from reality. Even though the writing is mediocre and sometimes overly dramatic, I still found myself racing through the pages to find out who what happens next. It was a guilty pleasure that I don't regret buying!