Profile for js > Reviews

Content by js

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

js

The Mixer Bible: Over 300 Recipes for Your Stand Mixer
The Mixer Bible: Over 300 Recipes for Your Stand Mixer
by Meredith Deeds
10 used & new from CDN$ 25.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful recipes, but more pictures needed, Feb. 11 2012
When I received my Kitchenaid Pro 600 Stand Mixer, I received several books. This is one of them. I used many recipes, but the bread recipes are hit with my family. My kids can't believe their mother bakes homemade bread...and they can't believe they are eating homemade bread everyday. I have to bake twice a week, 4 loaves to keep up with them. When I bought bread from store, 1.5 loaves would last us the whole week. The day I bake bread, 2/3 of one loaf is gone after cooling. I found the recipes easy to follow. I wish there were more pictures though.

Baking
Baking
by James Peterson
Price: CDN$ 30.72
27 used & new from CDN$ 16.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for a beginner baker, Feb. 11 2012
This review is from: Baking (Hardcover)
When I received my Kitchenaid Pro 600 Stand Mixer, I received a few books on baking. This book was one of them. I was given this book because the use of the Stand Mixer is incorporated into many of the recipes. I love the explanations given as well as the pictures. For a beginner like me pictures are a great help. However, I found numerous spelling errors. Some of the recipes I used succeeded, some failed - will keep trying.

KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder
KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder
Price: CDN$ 71.99
11 used & new from CDN$ 60.00

5.0 out of 5 stars "Healthier" ground beef, Feb. 11 2012
I used to buy a lot of ground beef. However, I was told unsavoury parts "may" be added to the ground beef as well as a lot of fat, so I stopped buying. When my son gave me a Kitchenaid Pro 600 Stand Mixer, I got this food grinder attachment so I can make my own. The grinder works well, no problems. Manual says to grind meat that is partially frozen. Follow that advice. If the meat is totally defrosted, some splattering will occur in front of the grinder. My family loves the pasta meat sauce, meatballs, dumplings, etc. I found grinding very lean meat to be a bit dry when cooked, so I added a little fat (when grinding) that I trimmed from roast/steak. Overall, I found the food grinder to be a perfect compliment to my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.

KitchenAid KFP1333CU 13-Cup Food Processor, Contour Silver
KitchenAid KFP1333CU 13-Cup Food Processor, Contour Silver
4 used & new from CDN$ 295.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Food Processor, Feb. 11 2012
My son bought me this food processor in the fall of 2011. I have been using this processor almost everyday for making salads, stir fry, soups, etc. My son loves Asian radish that is thinly julienned (like the way sushi restaurants rest sashimi on a bed of thinly julienned radish). I used a Japanese Mandolin for this job, but no longer. There is a lever at the front that I can use to adjust the size of vegetable slices and juliennes. It works really well. I use this adjustable lever all the time - don't need to remove and replace discs to get different sized vegetables. The lid and work bowl, when closed, is well sealed. I don't have any leaking issues. Flour was a problem with my old food processor. My old Oster food processor would leak flour all over the outside of bowl and kitchen counter. I no longer have this problem. The controls on the base are a good size. I never press the wrong button and it is easy to press. The processor is light enough for me to carry from kitchen shelf to counter. The large work bowl opening to feed vegetable into processor is wide enough to put food in without a lot of cutting beforehand, and the small opening is a good size for smaller items. It is powerful enough for all my tasks. It is easy to clean and comes with a case full of accessories. I like it when manufacturers put accessories in a container so I don't lose parts. The work bowl is BPA free. I've been switching to glass storage containers since 2010. I have been getting rid of my old Rubbermaid plastic food containers, so it is nice knowing the plastic work bowl is BPA free. Overall, I enjoy using the Kitchenaid Food Processor as it saves my hands from slicing and cutting a lot of vegetables. Btw, I save any leftover chunks of vegetables that doesn't get sliced in the processor. I found out many years ago that most food processors have this issue. I learned watching the Food Channel to save any leftover chunks of vegetables like carrots that doesn't get sliced or julienned. I just collect them and freeze them until I make vegetable soup stock. Enjoy!