Profile for Shahriar Manzoor > Reviews

Content by Shahriar Manzoor

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Shahriar Manzoor (Bangladesh)

Programming Challenges: The Programming Contest Training Manual
Programming Challenges: The Programming Contest Training Manual
by Steven S Skiena
Price: CDN$ 60.03
32 used & new from CDN$ 60.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for Newcomers, July 6 2003
I have been arranging programming contests for a 2/3 years and was a not so successful contestant in my contestant days. The reason behind this was I think that I made some mistakes and there was no one to guide me through the tunnel of programming contests. There are class people in this world who does well in programming contest autometically but others need help. But if you are a new comer then it is quite obvious that you will feel helpless for significant amount of time. This book will help you to get out of that situation. It will introduce you to Valladolid online Judge system which is the now the only judge with more than 1000 programming contest problems.
Please remember one thing "The small mistakes that you make in your regular programming assignments are not seen by your teachers. Programming contest does not allow you to make those mistakes." This book will allow you to come out of those mistakes. Some useful routine are also prepared for you in this book. The reason for which I have given this book four stars are (not five)
a) I expect a lot in future from the writers of this book. So when they will produce next volume (I dearly hope that they will produce a second volume) how will I give that six stars? :)
b) The cover page is not convincing. I am not an art critic and I don't think many programming contestants are.
cheers