Profile for Connie > Reviews

Content by Connie

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Connie (Canada)

BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-About Bakery
by Erin McKenna
Price: CDN$ 17.56
46 used & new from CDN$ 13.65

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it., May 5 2011
The cookbook is not worth it. If you are really trying to bake something gluten-free, look somewhere else. When you read the recipes, you crave them without a doubt... when you try to make them... it's a whole another story. Besides the fact that the ingredients are very pricey, the outcome is impossible to eat. I tried the flapjacks, they were hard as sole. I tried the lemon poppyseed loaf, it never got cooked through, it was gummy and it turned into a rock in 48 hours. The vanilla frosting never worked, it was like a soup... I'm an experienced baker and I've been baking gluten-free for over a year and I never had a problem with other gluten-free cookbooks. I'm very careful with measurements, I have an oven thermometer, so, it's the recipes that are wrong... I don't have the time to start experimenting with proportions or other ingredients... If they make a recipe book, it's for the recipes to work... And these, DON'T. Don't waste the money on this one.

Doughnuts: Simple and Delicious Recipes to Make At Home
Doughnuts: Simple and Delicious Recipes to Make At Home
by Lara Ferroni
Price: CDN$ 13.68
46 used & new from CDN$ 1.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, Feb. 7 2011
I just made one of the recipes in the book and it's amazing. I can never go back to buying doughnuts...
The recipes are well written and easy to follow. It takes time to make them but they are worth it.

The Art and Soul of Baking
The Art and Soul of Baking
by Sur La Table
Price: CDN$ 27.72
38 used & new from CDN$ 15.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Feb. 7 2011
This book is a must-have!
Excellent recipes, well written and explained.
I love making recipes from this book.

Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
by Suzanne Goin
Price: CDN$ 28.84
27 used & new from CDN$ 28.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, April 4 2010
I like that the book is divided in menus, making it easy to combine courses and desserts for a meal. I tried two different desserts and they are both great. The financiers turned out amazing, even though I twitched the recipe a bit, adding the fruit to the batter, instead of serving it after. For my taste, it made a big difference, making the financiers much lighter. The pastel vasco turned out great! The only thing that I find annoying is that the measurements for butter, for example, are done in tablespoons. I would rather have them in sticks, oz or gr... I have to calculate each time I'm baking something. I always find it easier to have the measurement in volume but also in weight. Is much accurate that way.
It is indeed a great book.

The Thin Commandments: The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss
The Thin Commandments: The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss
by Stephen Gullo
Price: CDN$ 34.94
55 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, April 4 2010
An amazing book, full of easy to follow steps and easy recipes to start, and continue, your diet. I bought it for my husband and he lost 22 lb in 6 weeks and he is still losing weight. The only thing is that, living in Canada, I had to make a whole research to find the places here where to buy the different foods the author recommends for the diet. An excellent purchase!

The Mominatrix's Guide to Sex: A No-Surrender Advice Book for Naughty Moms
The Mominatrix's Guide to Sex: A No-Surrender Advice Book for Naughty Moms
by Kristen Chase
Price: CDN$ 12.99
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, April 4 2010
The book doesn't live up to the expectations. It has some funny parts where you feel completely identified but, in the end, it really doesn't give any real advice or help.