Profile for dimpossibility > Reviews

Content by dimpossibility

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

dimpossibility

TOPPING VX1 2×25W T-AMP Tripath Class-T AMP Stereo Hi-Fi Power Amplifier USB DAC
Offered by Banff Sky
Price: CDN$ 118.50
3 used & new from CDN$ 78.80

1.0 out of 5 stars DAC is 16-bit, May 27 2014
The ad says it's USB circuitry can handle 24/96, but the actual DAC (the Burr-Brown PCM2704) is spec'd as 16-bit and 48kHz. Do not recommend for people searching for true 24/96.

Not a Conspiracy Theory: How Business Propaganda Hijacks Democracy
Not a Conspiracy Theory: How Business Propaganda Hijacks Democracy
by Donald Gutstein
10 used & new from CDN$ 6.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Chock full of important Canadian press and political history, July 31 2010
I first heard of Don Gutstein in a brief magazine notice of a book release with an interesting title, the one that became the title of this book. I went to the book release at a medium sized cafe with about a hundred other people. While I cannot recommend his ability to captivate a live audience, I was impressed by the depth of his research and his obvious concern that Canadians are not being told much truth either in the press or by politicians. When I read the book I was rewarded for my patience by thoughtful, well-researched investigative reportage. In this way Gutstein is like one of Canada's Noam Chomsky-like figures: towering investigative research matched with deep historical understanding. Read this book if you want to know more about how the press and powerful elites run the show in Canada.

Bright-sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America
by Barbara Ehrenreich
Price: CDN$ 18.50
69 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Ehrenreich does it again, July 31 2010
What to say about Barbara Ehrenreich except "Thank you!" I first read a few online articles from her a dozen years ago and was hooked. Then I read Nickel and Dimed, the best expose and analysis of the underclasses in the USA that I'm aware of. When I later read Bait and Switch, which demonstrated how the program in Nickel and Dimed had succeeded so well (in stealing the little the underclass had) that the ruling elites moved the program into the middle classes, I was shocked. The audacity by the elite classes was astounding and the carefully-constructed "acceptance" by the lower and middle classes was disheartening.
And now comes Bright-Sided, her effort to explain how the "positive psychology" movement has attempted to shift the blame of so much personal and societal anguish on to the shoulders of those who the trickery was foisted on, rather than on the true cause of the pain: a social system based on the economics of rob-from-the-poor-to-give-to-the-rich. She does it in her usually witty way, never failing to wince at the injustice while detailing it in sometimes savage prose. While not as personal as the other two books I noted (in which she lives and works with members of those classes), it is more probing of one of the tools that the elite use to get their way: make the robbed feel responsible for the robbery. As long as we have such a corrupt system there will never be a time we do not need such people as her.
On a final note I ask how much longer, in a shrinking world with a burgeoning human need-greed, can this go on?

Rhythmatist (Rm)
Rhythmatist (Rm)
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 64.95
3 used & new from CDN$ 44.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid nearly unknown gem, July 31 2010
This review is from: Rhythmatist (Rm) (Audio CD)
I really can't say enough about this brilliant little gem. Oh, there are some rougher edges, but overall I do not understand how this occasionally entrancing, eclectic work has been so overlooked. A mix of African voices, human and otherwise, and rhythms in a solid backbeat swirl of electronic and percussive sounds, it is unlike any other record I have ever heard. I am truly sorry it has not been heard by more.

A Brief History of Neoliberalism
A Brief History of Neoliberalism
by David Harvey
Price: CDN$ 24.65
46 used & new from CDN$ 11.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview of neoliberalism, July 31 2010
I watched David Harvey in an online video interview. He made several interesting points about the nature of our social system with special reference to how economic concerns of elites had, through manipulation of non-elites, trumped all other concerns. Curious to know more, I purchased this book. I was not disappointed. Harvey is a smart fellow with a good grasp of both history and economics. His analysis of the rise of liberalism, neoliberalism, and neoconservatism is detailed and persuasive. While I recommend the book, I confess that at times I felt he was too academic, preferring to match some often important insight he was making with his strict Marxist outlook. These moments are few and the book is not the worse for them. If you can, please search him out online for interviews, forums, and such. He is a better, more interesting, speaker than a writer.