Profile for nympid x > Reviews

Content by nympid x

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

nympid x "I, Zombie" (Over there)

Page: 1 | 2
Relationship Of Command
Relationship Of Command
8 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amongst my favourites, June 9 2004
This review is from: Relationship Of Command (Audio CD)
A good way to describe at the drive-in is that they have that special something. Music sounds better coming from them. Everytime I listen to this album I get blown away by how good they are. I'm always hearing something new in the songs, like "wow, was that riff always there?" You don't get that with alot of bands. My favourite songs on this album are 'Cosmonaut', one of the albums darker moments, and 'Invalid litter dept.' just for being what it is. In my musical tastes, this song has everything I look out for in other songs. So to rap things up. Buy this album, and learn how to love music.

A Crow Left Of The Murder
A Crow Left Of The Murder
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Heading in the right direction..., May 31 2004
I really like where Incubus is going. Gone are the annoying turntable solo's and rapping heard in earlier albums. In are phycadelic influences and experimentation. Mike's guitar work really stands out in this album (on songs such as 'sick sad little world' and 'priceless' although, I hate that song) but doesn't completely shadow everyone else. There are, unfortunatley, lowlights. The latest single 'Talk shows on mute' is nice but nothing special, and as I said before, although 'priceless' is a step in a different direction for Incubus, it really sounds stupid. This said, the highlights! The album closer 'Leech' is really cool, with constant shifts through out. 'Zee Deveel' has cool guitars, a great chorus and says 'whoo' at the beggining (Which rules. Then my undisputed favourite song on the album (Or of all incubus songs, or of all songs ever) is 'Here in my room'. It's shows that Incubus know how to use quiet to HUGE effect, it's to bad this songs ends on a slightly annoying note ("That kind of girl..")
So then, buy 'a crow left of the murder', good listening ensues...

String Tribute to Tool
String Tribute to Tool
Price: CDN$ 19.89
18 used & new from CDN$ 9.42

3.0 out of 5 stars Songs you've already heard but different..., May 31 2004
This review is from: String Tribute to Tool (Audio CD)
This CD has a really nice concept, and for the duration, translates Tool's music into strings quite well. But, and there is a but, tribute albums are always slightly lacking. For example, It is given that this CD won't succeed the originals, nor will any tribute album, whether it's done with strings or guitars, you'll never beat Tool. Secondly, The strings play exactly what you will here on the original. I was hoping to hear altered versions with different parts BASED on the original Tool songs, like String instrumentals inspired by Tool songs, rather than Tool songs with different instruments. Finally, how can you re-create the power of Tool's music with no drums? Danny Carey's playing is nothing sort of phnomenal by anyones standards and should be recognised on this CD, even if it is a STRING quartet. So to some it up, imagine if when recording, Adam Jones picked up a violin by mistake but caried on to play the same thing. That's basically what you're getting.

Mer De Noms
Mer De Noms
Price: CDN$ 15.04
49 used & new from CDN$ 3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, May 31 2004
This review is from: Mer De Noms (Audio CD)
A perfect circle. Wow, what a band. In my list of all time favourtie music, APC are second only to 'you know who'. So anyway the CD...
The hollow - Great start with a damn good bridge.
Magdalena - The most gothic track on the album. Really cool.
Rose - Almost Indian sounding. Good.
Judith - Oh, you know...
Orestes - Possibly my favourite on here.
3 Libras - Beatuiful. Almost made me cry.
Sleeping Beauty - Took me awhile to get into but it is good.
Thomas - Awesome but a bit short.
Renholder - Cool Instrumental.
Thinking of you - Who doesn't love this song?
Brena - Slower and emotional.
Over - Nice.
I actually prefer this to 'Thirteenth step', although that's a great album aswell. This CD is worth every penny you buy it for. So do.

St. Anger
St. Anger
Offered by langton_distribution
Price: CDN$ 43.87
19 used & new from CDN$ 2.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Linkin Park's best album yet..., May 31 2004
This review is from: St. Anger (Audio CD)
...but no, Linkin Park didn't make this album, Metallica made this album. Just sit back for a second and think about that. It's sad really, isn't it. Now I'm not going to point the selling out finger, and to all those who use that term, If you feel that strongly about it, just don't listen to it, but I do believe that the reason this Cd is er... 'lacking' in some parts is because of the standards set before. I don't really care about solo's missing or whatever, as sometimes they sound a bit silly really. It's just, in Metallica's previous efforts, songs were like... ten different riffs, each that could've held one song on their own, shoved into one song. Now it's like... One (or two) riffs played over and over, for seven minutes. The same goes for the lyrics. That said, this CD does have a redeeming factor in 'the unnamed feeling' which I actually like more than some of the old Metallica stuff. Infact, the three stars are mainly just for the one song (Maybe half a star because Frantic would've been good were it not so repeatitive) So anyways, 'St.Anger' a let down, if they released the unamed feeling, just by the single and you'll be better off.

Nevermind
Nevermind
Offered by Ramble On Imports Canada
Price: CDN$ 3.81
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Being over rated isn't necessarily a bad thing, May 15 2004
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
Was Kurt Cobaina musical genius? No. Is Nevermind the most ground breaking album you will ever? No. Are Nirvana a great band? Yes. This is just an album's worth of good songs, nothing more, nothing less. Just like every other album ever made ever, 'Nevermind' has it's highs and lows. The high's being 'On a plain' and 'Lounge act', the lows being 'smells like teen spirit'. There are better albums, as are there worse. But really, who cares?

We Have Come For Your Parents
We Have Come For Your Parents
Offered by langton_distribution
Price: CDN$ 13.95
23 used & new from CDN$ 1.40

4.0 out of 5 stars You're all hypocrites..., April 12 2004
Everyone seems to be bitching about how Amen aren't 'punk' or whatever. A few reviews have said that the lyrics are great but the music sounds nu-metal. The part I find funny is that 'punk' is supposed to be about fighting against conformity, yet you're whinging because they're not conforming to the 'punk' sound. Secondly I'd like to point out, who cares? If you don't listen to this album on the count that someone says it "isn't punk enough", then you don't deserve ears to listen to it anyway.

Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance - PlayStation 2
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance - PlayStation 2
15 used & new from CDN$ 7.88

5.0 out of 5 stars A good progression, April 6 2004
I love Mortal Kombat games, I would have no problem with saying that they are my absolute favourite video games of all time. This is a great progression for the game, adding new dimensions to the game play. And of course, I can always rely on MK games to kick ass due to one character, Scorpion. In this game, Scorpion is even more badass (if that is possible) and makes this game extra awesomeness.

Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat
DVD ~ Christopher Lambert
Price: CDN$ 7.49
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The most badass movie ever, March 26 2004
This review is from: Mortal Kombat (DVD)
This movie rules. It has almost every aspect of awesomeness in it. Badass fighting, badass ninja's, badass soundtrack, badass Christopher Lambert. BAD-ASS! If you didn't like this movie, then 'what the hell?' How could you be such an idiot? Go punch yourself in the groin for being so stupid.

Downward Spiral
Downward Spiral
Price: CDN$ 8.00
40 used & new from CDN$ 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, March 20 2004
This review is from: Downward Spiral (Audio CD)
Like so many other reviews on this album, it took me awhile to appreciate. Infact, the only reason I'm giving it four stars (as apposed to five) is because I think that I still have some appreciating to go. This album does have songs that are instantaneously likeable, such as 'Ruiner' and 'Hurt'. It also has songs that take awhile, like 'the becoming' and 'piggy' (I myself loved this song the first time round, but I can understand if some people don't get the seemingly incoherent verse/chorus'). This said, the real gems on this record are the ones that are both of these aspects. Take the beautiful 'A warm place', when I first heard it, I felt depressed, it was a sad song, but still great. Now I've come to realise it's actually very romantic, in a sort of tradgic, Reznor way. Before, I 'liked' 'a warm place', now, I 'love' it. This is proof that industrial music doesn't have to (or need) angry, screaming vocals. This is what it sounds like when it's done right.

Page: 1 | 2