Profile for Stephane Thinel > Reviews

Content by Stephane Thinel

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stephane Thinel "King of Space" (Laval (near Montreal, Quebec))

Page: 1 | 2
Rising Stars Compendium
Rising Stars Compendium
by J. Michael Straczynski
Price: CDN$ 39.46
25 used & new from CDN$ 39.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Deep refelctions were made on the subject, Oct. 10 2011
Right now. I am almost half-through the book. I consider it a 5 star book but here's why first it looses 2 Stars

The book is heavy. It really needs to be read sitting at a desk or table. Not just because of weight but also the way the book is assembled. It is section-glued book. In my case, The glue seems dry and not resistant enough, even with the book laying at all time on a desk while reading, the glued sections all break loose when the get to the left side, due to their weight and lack of adhesive quality. It is a book printed in China and I guessed Topcow and/or Image had no representative to verify quality at time of production. The binding of the book will be so severely damage at the end of the reading there's need to be a serious cost in review to be paid in star attributes.

Now the story and art
Good simple writing. Nothing that will be studied in literature but no one could say no reflections were done on the subjects of the books. I just can easily imagine the discussions Straczynski and others must have had around a pint or coffee talking about the themes of the book. I am so sure it was not a lets-think-of-it-as-we-go attitude. The art is easily approachable by anyone, professionally done and clean layout(in a compendium that is great, other wise it gives and headache I have experienced) and I just love the colouring, bright and shiny colours, magnified with the glossy paper used for the book, as for lettering, nobody can say Dreamer's design are not effective. Standard maybe, but the job is well done.

Again I am real happy of how profound an thoughtful the story goes with his subjects, but I will not be able to lend you my copy at the end of the reading. Parts of it, yes.... :-/

Stitches: A Memoir
Stitches: A Memoir
by David Small
Price: CDN$ 16.60
7 used & new from CDN$ 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it, Dec 12 2010
This review is from: Stitches: A Memoir (Paperback)
You're wondering what a graphic novel really is?
There is your answer.
You too will rate it a five stars.
Trust life and buy this book.
I could not voice it more strong.

The Walking Dead Book 6
The Walking Dead Book 6
by Robert Kirkman
Price: CDN$ 23.16
55 used & new from CDN$ 19.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong, Oct. 22 2010
I love this book because;

-- We see Rick's group trying to deal with more and more "inhumanities" they have to do in order to survive.

-- I love the dialogue, the reflections, the drawing adding intensity (as if needed) to the truth about themselves they share.

-- Could there be an happy ending in sight? Somehow, after all Rick's group has been through, with all the events that made this group get tighter and tighter, can they join other groups? Can other groups that survived this long accepted then? Is all humanity condemn to be in little groups forever?

Is the basic premise of the Walking Dead series and the reason why I will be waiting impatiently for book 7; "What happens to people surviving an apocalypse for a long time" I want to know... Until now, i agree with what Kirkman says about it

The Professor's Daughter
The Professor's Daughter
by Joann Sfar
Price: CDN$ 15.16
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, Oct. 17 2010
First of all, a very heartfelt Bravo to the writing of Joann Sfar. The way the story begins and how it goes from point-to-point, you've got to master the trade, and man, the writer's job that was done here is simply remarkable.

The drawing is respectful of the rea of the sory adn I am in love with the colouring technique used all along the book.

I am very impressed by this book; I am now a big fan of this duo, Joann Sfar and Emmanuel Guibert. Once again, Bravo, Bravo on a job very well done!

French Milk
French Milk
by Lucy Knisley
Price: CDN$ 12.64
55 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea for a travel journal, but lacks deepness, Oct. 16 2010
This review is from: French Milk (Paperback)
It is a very interesting way of making a travel's journal or any kind-of-journal for events in life.
I love the structure.

But it misses deepness in the writings.

This is a travel of one month in Paris the author made with her mother, a few months before graduating. She turned 22 during the trip.

The author give hints that her life will changes, now that she is entering adulthood more precisely, but we never read or see real drawing of theses questions.

Really, this diary became more of a notebook of what they ate, where they shop and museums they saw. It got boring at a certain point.

2 stars for the structure of the book, it's the first one I see like this and would like to see more people talking about life events using this method, but zero stars for the story. Too much unnecessary anecdotal details in it.

New Battlestar Galactica Omnibus
New Battlestar Galactica Omnibus
by Greg Pak
Price: CDN$ 16.62
23 used & new from CDN$ 8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, March 6 2010
I am a very big fan of the new BG. But i doesn't mean I buy anything with BG on it. Even for this book, specially for a graphic novel one, I was expecting a kind of quickly produce money-grab. I was wrong, very wrong. Artwork coloring and scenario all are up to par, so much that for once a precept inthe introductions turn out tru. Paul Leonard, co-producer of BG write that the stories in this book are missed opportunities for the cable show. I totally agree with him. This is a damn good book Dynamite has produce.

Cartoon History of the Universe 1
Cartoon History of the Universe 1
by Larry Gonick
Price: CDN$ 18.77
46 used & new from CDN$ 2.10

5.0 out of 5 stars It is that good as everybody says, Feb. 4 2010
I bought it for a general introduction to history and was influenced buy the other reviews and it turned out it was the right move. It is funny, based on valid and accepted researches at the time of writing, and is a fast and funny way to get an introduction to world history. You won't loose your money, buy it with confidence!

Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall
Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall
by Bill Willingham
Price: CDN$ 12.26
38 used & new from CDN$ 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It made me be in peace with a problem I had with Fables, Dec 25 2009
The review publish here by N. Manning is quite complete. I have nothing more to add constructively.

I've read all the 12 TPB books available at this time of writing, before getting into this one.
What bothered me the most was the change of artists, of methods used to represent the worlds and the fables characters. The many mini-stories we find in this book, all drawn with differents approach, somehow calmed me and made me appreciate what have been artistically tried in the 12 TPB I've read before. i'm okay now. I dont need Snow, BigBy, Rose Red, Beast and all the others to always look the same. It's alright to have fun in representing them in different ways. That is the main thing I got from this book. And it's big one for me, for my appreciation of the Fables collection.

Bone: One Volume Edition
Bone: One Volume Edition
by Jeff Smith
Price: CDN$ 31.31
37 used & new from CDN$ 22.54

5.0 out of 5 stars I agree with the other reviews, Dec 11 2009
It is a good story,and I particularly appreciate the little drawing details and expressions that made me concentrate more on the art than the words.

Yes it is true, after the middle of the book, the story gets more events, but not necessary important meaning ones, but we have to remember this book was written in a 12 years period and was first publish in a Mickey Mouse magazine I think.

Previous to learn the existence of this one volume edition, i bought the first of the 9 books of bone, the ones in colors. Comparing the two, I miss the colors in this one volume edition, even if it is said Bone was made to be a B&W project. It is way more economical(the reason why I went this way) to get this one volume edition, but to do it again, I would suggest get the color ones.

The other reviews say pretty much what I think, no need to repeat it, Read them and jump in the Bone's world, B&W or colors

Fables Volume 9: Sons of Empire
Fables Volume 9: Sons of Empire
by Bill Willingham
Price: CDN$ 15.15
50 used & new from CDN$ 9.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the words, mellow on the drawings, Nov. 26 2009
I love the stories include in this book. the main general story evolves a little while we spend the majority of time with other characters. My one negative point is concerning the "Invited" artists; some draw the characters so differently, You need to be told or guess who that is. Wait 'till you see Pinocchio, you'll understand what I mean

Page: 1 | 2