Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools
Profile for Stephane Thinel > Reviews

Content by Stephane Thinel

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stephane Thinel "King of Space" (Laval (near Montreal, Quebec))

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Transmetropolitan, Vol 1: Back on the Street
Transmetropolitan, Vol 1: Back on the Street

5.0 out of 5 stars Dirty and funny, July 12 2015
I didn't know nothing about this serie when I bought this first book. I just bought it because it was from Vertigo and had like 6 or 7 books in the serie, so I taught if I like it, I would have a new serie to read. Turns out I don't like it, I love it!

At the end of the 20th century, there was great writing for a mature audience in some publishing houses like Vertigo. With his wit, humor, and irreverence but spot-on commentary, Transmetropolitan is a must read of this period I would say. Imaginative drawing too.

The Strain Volume 3 The Fall
The Strain Volume 3 The Fall
Price: CDN$ 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok for the 2 previous books, but it gets to me now...., July 12 2015
The story is ok ,but for an experienced reader, there is know big thrills to come

I said on the two first books that I understood that the drawing was under the extreme pressure of a monthly issue. I say now that I am angry a these drawings. I just can't stop imagining what the artists really wanted to do ( they are some major hints that we get to see). To clarify, this anger is directed to the editors team, not the artists.

I won't buy volume 4 for the moment,. I am not in a good mood.

The Strain Volume 2
The Strain Volume 2

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story in a fast read, July 11 2015
I specially loved the bonus part at the end of the book where some of the creative processes are demonstrated. Maybe i am nit in a good mood but because of the fast drawing imposed by a monthly deadline, i cannot be 100 hooked on this serie. I really wish I was.

The Strain Volume 1
The Strain Volume 1

3.0 out of 5 stars It starts slow for my taste, July 11 2015
Good story with typical drawing of a 20 pages monthly schedule (it's not a bad thing, just an observation. I totally understand the constraints related to this fact)

I am not ready to say that this book is essential in every library yet, but for the price i got it (4$), I was at the better end of the deal (still want every artists and writers and editors to be well paid thought so they will produce more).

Workaholic - English edition
Workaholic - English edition
Offered by Immateriel
Price: CDN$ 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Simplistic story and drawing, Sept. 21 2014
The drawing an the lettering are well done. I like the use of Chinese ink, it forces to be methodical in the drawing. There is nothing spectacular in the drawing, just well done.
The story is simple and is lacking some development. It could have use more pages to go deeper, they are a little t of unexplored possibilities there.

I got this ebook for free and I appreciate that. I would not recommend to pay more than a
Couple of dollars if you would have to.

Strange Worlds Comic 001
Strange Worlds Comic 001

1.0 out of 5 stars A simple .pdf scan of the pages that were badly cut with scissors! Really lazy job, Sept. 7 2014
I really love these classic comics. They really were imaginative in their ways to tell a story. But I hate, I despise that this ebook is simply a scan in .pdf of the pages that where cut from an original magazine. You can even see on the binding edge that the pages were cut with a blade and that the cut is not straight, it's wavy! A really minimum effort went into producing this ebook and it does show.

Rising Stars Compendium
Rising Stars Compendium
by J. Michael Straczynski
Price: CDN$ 69.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Deep refelctions were made on the subject, Oct. 10 2011
Right now. I am almost half-through the book. I consider it a 5 star book but here's why first it looses 2 Stars

The book is heavy. It really needs to be read sitting at a desk or table. Not just because of weight but also the way the book is assembled. It is section-glued book. In my case, The glue seems dry and not resistant enough, even with the book laying at all time on a desk while reading, the glued sections all break loose when the get to the left side, due to their weight and lack of adhesive quality. It is a book printed in China and I guessed Topcow and/or Image had no representative to verify quality at time of production. The binding of the book will be so severely damage at the end of the reading there's need to be a serious cost in review to be paid in star attributes.

Now the story and art
Good simple writing. Nothing that will be studied in literature but no one could say no reflections were done on the subjects of the books. I just can easily imagine the discussions Straczynski and others must have had around a pint or coffee talking about the themes of the book. I am so sure it was not a lets-think-of-it-as-we-go attitude. The art is easily approachable by anyone, professionally done and clean layout(in a compendium that is great, other wise it gives and headache I have experienced) and I just love the colouring, bright and shiny colours, magnified with the glossy paper used for the book, as for lettering, nobody can say Dreamer's design are not effective. Standard maybe, but the job is well done.

Again I am real happy of how profound an thoughtful the story goes with his subjects, but I will not be able to lend you my copy at the end of the reading. Parts of it, yes.... :-/

Stitches: A Memoir
Stitches: A Memoir
by David Small
Price: CDN$ 17.77
16 used & new from CDN$ 17.77

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it, Dec 12 2010
This review is from: Stitches: A Memoir (Paperback)
You're wondering what a graphic novel really is?
There is your answer.
You too will rate it a five stars.
Trust life and buy this book.
I could not voice it more strong.

The Walking Dead Book 6
The Walking Dead Book 6
by Robert Kirkman
Price: CDN$ 29.30
45 used & new from CDN$ 29.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong, Oct. 22 2010
I love this book because;

-- We see Rick's group trying to deal with more and more "inhumanities" they have to do in order to survive.

-- I love the dialogue, the reflections, the drawing adding intensity (as if needed) to the truth about themselves they share.

-- Could there be an happy ending in sight? Somehow, after all Rick's group has been through, with all the events that made this group get tighter and tighter, can they join other groups? Can other groups that survived this long accepted then? Is all humanity condemn to be in little groups forever?

Is the basic premise of the Walking Dead series and the reason why I will be waiting impatiently for book 7; "What happens to people surviving an apocalypse for a long time" I want to know... Until now, i agree with what Kirkman says about it

The Professor's Daughter
The Professor's Daughter
by Joann Sfar
Price: CDN$ 18.95
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, Oct. 17 2010
First of all, a very heartfelt Bravo to the writing of Joann Sfar. The way the story begins and how it goes from point-to-point, you've got to master the trade, and man, the writer's job that was done here is simply remarkable.

The drawing is respectful of the rea of the sory adn I am in love with the colouring technique used all along the book.

I am very impressed by this book; I am now a big fan of this duo, Joann Sfar and Emmanuel Guibert. Once again, Bravo, Bravo on a job very well done!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3