ARRAY(0xb6bc9828)

Profile for Timothy P. Young > Reviews

Content by Timothy P. Young

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Timothy P. Young (Rawlins, WY, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Deliver Us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism
Deliver Us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism
by Sean Hannity
66 used & new from CDN$ 0.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a review of the book, More of Hannity Himself, April 2 2004
I just want to say that I have heard his show and he appalls me. As a veteran of the US army, to hear his desire to commit our troops across the globe...when he never served. He disgusts me.
Not to mention the fact that he won't let a dissenting voice on his program finish a sentence. And Mr. Hannity, if you're reading, feel free to contact me and I'll provide a few dozen examples, just from the past few months.
This man is a demagogue, and he's dangerous. Buy his book if you like, but beware.

Detective
Detective
by Parnell Hall
Price: CDN$ 17.51
11 used & new from CDN$ 8.28

3.0 out of 5 stars A good beginning, but... (3.5 stars, really), Feb. 17 2004
This review is from: Detective (Paperback)
I'll be quick. My first exposure to Parnell Hall was "Juror," an early novel in the Stanley Hastings series. I loved it and read as much as I could.
So eventually I found myself venturing back to the beginning, with Detective. I was disappointed, but not for the reasons you might think.
First off, it's good. Damn good. Stanley bursts out nearly full drawn, working for the ambulance-chasing attorney's office, dealing with family, and so on. He bumbles when he should, and comes through when he should. Good stuff, here.
No, my disappointment was a fan's disappointment: where are the familiar characters (only his boss and wife make first appearances here)? Why isn't he more worried? Where are the colorful descriptions of his clients, who invariably call him away from important moments?
Not here, that's where they are.
Truthfully, I felt the same way when I first read Fer De Lance, by Rex Stout (his intro to Nero Wolfe).
So here's the deal: if you want to start here, DO IT! It's good, with solid prose and compelling page-turners that will keep you with it until the last page. If you came in in the middle...you might be disappointed.
Still, it's great to know that such a great series started somewhere. I recently read that Hall is on his 15th Hastings mystery. Let's hope he makes it to 78, like Rex.
Happy chasing!

Workbook
Workbook
Price: CDN$ 13.75
14 used & new from CDN$ 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Alternative Folk with Killer Guitars, Feb. 17 2004
This review is from: Workbook (Audio CD)
And if that sounds boring, I'm sorry. This record is anything but. I can understand how the lack of fuzz guitar could seem strange after so many years of great Husker Du punk/rock product. It bothered me, too, back in the day when I bought this on cassette.
However, I learned quickly that his clean electric guitar sound brought his "folk" rock tendencies to the fore, highlighting the best vocals of his career and spotlighting some of his best playing (Sunspots, the instrumental that opens the record).
Moving right along, this album boasts at least one masterpiece of pop, "See A Little Light." Ringing guitars and a catchy course can make even the most cynical Mould fan smile and wonder if he's been listening to Marshall Crenshaw.
Of course, Mould is from Husker Du at this point, so we need our angst factor: "Wishing Well" and "Compositions for the Young and Old" fulfill this nicely. Both are folk/rockers with great lyrics smothered in a wall of sound concocted by Mould. Strangely enough, the approach works. By straining a little to hear his words, we feel closer to the artist. Kudos to Mould in his producer hat, overseeing the mix.
With contributions from Anton Fier (drums, Golden Palominos), Tony Maimone (bass, Pere Ubu), and Jane Scarpatoni (cello, Tiny Lights), this is an alternative album a folkie can love, a folk album a punk can dig, and just an -expletive deleted- great record. I can't reccommend it more highly. Seriously. Buy the damn thing and give the man a retirement plan. I mean this.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete First Season
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete First Season
DVD ~ Sarah Michelle Gellar
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 49.06
18 used & new from CDN$ 6.60

4.0 out of 5 stars The Slayer...INTRO, Jan. 31 2004
To the first season of Buffy. It's the perfect place to begin, to start in your quest to join the....
Oh, who am I kidding? It's A Hot Chick Defeats Supernatural Menace With Subplots. And it happens every week. Not to say that it's not good. It's incredible. Like watching a horror-comedy with teen angst elements every week. I hate to be pushy, but Dawson's Creek could have benefited from a demon here or there--it would have kept things lively. That's one of the many reasons Buffy rocks. It's also consistently well written, and well acted to boot. Gellar, Hannigan, and Brendan are fantastic, and Stewart-Head exercises a keen and careful eye over them as Watcher.
It's all good..villains, subplots, everything. Mark Metcalf is a standout as the Big Bad Vamp of Season 1. Buy it, rent it, watch it...first rate.

Reser.D./Mr.P.
Reser.D./Mr.P.
DVD ~ Harvey Keitel
Offered by niff78
Price: CDN$ 32.97
13 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It's NOT THAT VIOLENT!, Dec 4 2003
This review is from: Reser.D./Mr.P. (DVD)
I'll keep you for only a minute. For a discussion of this film's virtues/demerits, read other comments. I just want to say that most of the violence is implied, it's offscreen. True, we sit through a LOT of bleeding, but the actual violence quotient is much lower than it is in most blockbuster action films. The word: no explosions, 3 people shot on camera. All else is in your mind, you sick b----ds.
It's also one of the most riveting movies ever. I was slack-jawed after the opening scene, and stayed that way. The ONLY reason to skip this if you hate crime drama. Fans of Scorsese or "Usual Suspects" type stuff should get off on this.

Dark City
Dark City
DVD ~ J.K.Rowling
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 15.53
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful to look at, Nov. 14 2003
This review is from: Dark City (DVD)
Dark City is the best example I've ever seen of bringing a "comic book" sensibility to the big screen. I saw it first at the Pusan International FIlm Festival years ago and was captiviated.
The look of the film is tremendous. It's a highly stylized, art-deco world not unlike the first Batman movie, but a little darker, a tad more claustrophobic. And the effects are well-handled without exception. Add in a murder mystery, and you've got yourself an alternate reality worthy of exploration.
The performances are uniformly good, if a little mannered. The standout is Richard O'Brien (the butler from "Rocky Horror") as the lead "bounty hunter," Mr. Hand. He's creepy and belongs completely to the world of the film. Rufus Sewell, Jennifer Connoly, and William Hurt are more than passable, and Kiefer Sutherland's perfomance as a Lorre-esque psychologist must be seen to be believed.
If you surrender to the conceit of the film, you'll enjoy this immensely. If you are grounded in "reality," you might have some problems. I think this is a wonderful, stunning movie.

Blue
Blue
Price: CDN$ 10.00
52 used & new from CDN$ 3.02

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good That It's the only Joni I Need, Oct. 27 2003
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
I'll keep it short. Blue is one of the finest folk albums ever. Mitchell's songwriting is sharp, her vocals crystalline and incredibly emotional, and yes, she even wrings smiles out of us (My Old Man, California) while simultaneously devastating us (River, the title track).
Musically sparse, finely wrought...I feel it's her finest work.
PS> And not to anger any of the Joni fans who like her jazzier stuff, but I just can't relate to her when she gets jazzy. She's an artist, and it's her right, but I don't have to like it. You'll say I miss the point, and that may be so. However, you also miss the point by not accepting her earlier work for the strengths it has. And that's as diplomatic as I can put it.

The Wind
The Wind
Price: CDN$ 14.25
23 used & new from CDN$ 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Coda--Rest In Excitement, Mr. Z!, Sept. 9 2003
This review is from: The Wind (Audio CD)
First of all, a personal note: I received this album from Amazon.com on Saturday, September 6th. The very next day he died in his sleep (to fellow fans: I'm avoiding the pun, here). I'm glad that it happened that way, because I was able to listen to hear the record for the first time as a piece of music by a dying artist, and not as an elegy. I just feel that's important.
As a piece of work, it's closest in nature to "Life 'll Kill Ya." The arrangements tend towards the sparse, without a lot of embellishment. It's mostly Warren's slightly weak but still potent vocals over some pretty basic tracks.
A lot's been mentioned of the guests on this record, but don't worry--it's still Warren's, all the way. In all cases, they enhance and expand, not control the song. Except in one case, the nasty, rude, cynical (and therefore beautiful), "Disorder in the House," a crunchy, dirty rocker with great lyrics ("I'm sprawled across the davenport of despair") lifted to new heights by the growling, howling guitar work of none other than Bruce Springsteen. Simply fantastic.
Other highlights include the tender "Keep Me In Your Heart," the dirty blues of "Rub Me Raw,", and the funniest song since "For My Next Trick I'll Need A Volunteer," "Numb As A Statue."
But truthfully, my first indication that the album was a winner came in the first line of the first song: "Sometimes I feel like my shadow's casting me." A universal truth opening an incredibly personal record.
I'm glad that Zevon got to make the most of his remaining days, and that he was able to release this for us. RIE, Warren Zevon. I'm going to dry my eyes now.

Misfits
Misfits
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 24.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 19.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Misfits is just that, Sept. 4 2003
This review is from: Misfits (Audio CD)
Not saying there aren't good things here. Rock'nRoll Fantasy is as good as anything they've ever done, but the reviewers here seem to be close to rabid in their passion for the Kinks.
It's a good record. A few good Ray Davies' societal watchdog things. But it's no classic. A fan's-only record if I ever saw one.
The music's ok, but sanitized. A very thorough scrubbing was done on these tracks to make sure that no stray feedback or echo gets into your ears. I hate that.
If you're not a fan, find a best-of somewhere and stay away from this. Not too great.
A Kinks K----
I can't even be witty and name it. Sorry. It's just not that good.

Word of Mouth
Word of Mouth
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 34.34
6 used & new from CDN$ 6.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Record, Awful Artwork, Sept. 4 2003
This review is from: Word of Mouth (Audio CD)
Seriously. This is one of the least attractive album covers I've ever seen. Why would anyone pick this up unless they were a Kinks fan already? Major misstep by the Brothers Davies.
The record itself is good, if not great. It boasts Dave Davie's second best song, "Living on a Thin Line," a paen to the middle class and poor stuck in an economy that increasingly favors the rich, and "Good Day," a bit of Ray Davies whimsy that is clever fun until the biting bridge ("So have a good day today, because it may be your last, make it last..."). Not to mention a bunch of good-but-typical Ray Davies social observations ("Too Hot," "Do It Again," "Sold Me Out," et al).
Musically, it's early '80's Kinks. Smooth, textured, with the most passion coming through in the vocals rather than the music. It's a bit keyboard heavy, but that's ok. I personally prefer a rawer sound, but that's me.
It's definitely worth your time if you're a budding fan, still worthy if you like good songwriting, but ultimately expendable if you're looking for something that will jump-start your psyche.
To be fair, I think that Ray Davies was trying to get on the radio, the bland medium that we all listen to too often (and I was a DJ for 7 years, so I know whereof I speak).
If you look past the slickness and the worst album cover in my collection, you'll find a nice bunch of songs. A couple are special, one or two are expendable, but this is mostly a nice little collection by a band pushing its way through middle age.
All that said, I still like it and it's a fun little rocker of an album...good pop sometimes, a couple of bits of should-have-been-rawer nastiness, but still pretty damn groovy. A worthy effort.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6