ARRAY(0xb4663b34)

Profile for H. Mortensen > Reviews

Content by H. Mortensen

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

H. Mortensen "Panhelga" (Panama City, Panama)

Witness (Widescreen)
Witness (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Harrison Ford
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 29.98
9 used & new from CDN$ 8.45

4.0 out of 5 stars one of ford's best - viggo is in this too!, Dec 30 2003
This review is from: Witness (Widescreen) (DVD)
I love this movie, am deeply moved each time I see it. You can see the plot from other reviews, so I won't review it here. I've often wondered whatever happened to Lukas Haas' career - he was outstanding. This movie is a refreshing change for Harrison Ford, who previously was known only for Star Wars and Indiana Jones. He shows new depths and range in his acting abilities.
My main gripe is that mentioned by others - the "out of character" scene where Kelly McGillis lets Ford gaze at her while bathing. No Amish woman would ever do that. That was simply a cheap way to sneak in some modern nudity, into a culture where it would not be tolerated. Other than that, it's a nearly perfect movie, suspenseful, funny, romantic and interesting.
Has anyone noticed that Viggo Mortensen is in this? Look for him in the barn-raising scene. Little did I dream when I first saw this movie almost 20 years ago that while I was watching my heartthrob of the time (Ford) I was also watching my daughter's present heartthrob (Mortensen aka ARAGORN). Fun glimpse of his early career.

A Guide to the Birds of Colombia
A Guide to the Birds of Colombia
by Steven L. Hilty
12 used & new from CDN$ 125.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Native peoples laud volume, March 21 2000
In my linguistic work with a native people of Colombia I have found Hilty & Brown to be an invaluable resource for my learning of vocabulary and for adding countless items to the dictionary. The research done for this book is accurate. For example, when the authors say a given species is found in the area where our indigenous friends live, our friends verify that time after time.