Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amazon Customer "moviemancritter" (Santa Cruz)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Popular First Season
Popular First Season
DVD ~ Leslie Bibb
Price: CDN$ 19.93
23 used & new from CDN$ 15.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Outcasts + Popular Elite / Engagement = Popular, July 17 2004
This review is from: Popular First Season (DVD)
What can be said for Popular, that hasn't already. It was the freshiest, brilliantly written, and witty show that aired for the two years that it was on the air. All the characters will be remembered, because they were so unique. It sad to think that the ratings for the show went from 3 million to 900,000. But now people will finally have a chance to see what they missed.

Friday the 13th - From Crystal Lake to Manhattan (Ultimate Edition DVD Collection)
DVD ~ Betsy Palmer
Price: CDN$ 269.97
6 used & new from CDN$ 41.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Exactly the "Ultimate Collection", July 9 2004
When Paramount pictures, first announced that they had a "Friday the 13th" film's box-set in the works, they said that they would release the films uncut. But over the past few months they have announced that they could not find the uncut footage. So what fans are left with are all of 8 first films with their original edits in widescreen on 4 discs (2 movies per disc), with an extra disc of special features. Special FEatures expected on the set include 4 Commentaries, 3 Featurettes (about 15 minutes each), a feature length documentary, are all 8 original trailers. Althought its not quite the "Alien Quadrilogy" that paramount promised, it is still the cheapest and easiest way to buy all of the first 8 friday films.

Degrassi - The Next Generation: Season 1 [Import]
Degrassi - The Next Generation: Season 1 [Import]
DVD ~ Stefan Brogren
3 used & new from CDN$ 79.60

4.0 out of 5 stars The Next Generation Works, June 27 2004
This series, is a remake of the 1980's Television show "Degrassi" about a group of teenagers growing up together trough jr. high and highschool. The Original show lasted 4 years, and The Next Generation has just premired their fourth season and still going strong. The Show is basically a toned downed half hour version of Dawson's Creek with 12 major cast members instead of 5.

Alias: The Complete Third Season
Alias: The Complete Third Season
DVD ~ Jennifer Garner
Price: CDN$ 60.00
17 used & new from CDN$ 9.06

5.0 out of 5 stars J.J Abrams the Next Whedon?, June 26 2004
When I was growing up there were three shows that I always sat down to watch: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, and Popular. But as you probablly know all three of those shows have been over for well over a year (atleast populars been over for a couple years). So I was looking for another show to fill in the void, and the void was filled by the of the best looking, action packed, Plot Thickend, Spy Series I have ever seen: Alias. I was first introduced to Alias via watching the pilot episode of the series. I liked the series, but due to school and other things I never really got to watch it (and if you know the show you'll know that if you miss an episode, you might as well give up on the rest of the season).
But then about 9 months ago I purchased the first season DVD. I watched that puppy in 6 days!!! (Thats a record for me, it usually takes like 2/3 weeks to finish of a TVSet). And then I was hooked, but so I started to Tape the Third season of of ABC, while watching for Season two.
Now that I have seen all three seasons I can't wait for the Alias Marathon I have planned for September, because Alias is one of the greatest shows (next to Buffy), but if you don't believe me, this is what a review for the pilot said: "is "a spy-fi roller coaster of killer gadgets, double roundkicks, triple crosses, poignant confessionals, cliff-hangers, sliced-off fingers, conspiracies, outrageous outfits, exotic locales, flirtations, mythologies - and that's just before the first commercial break."

DVD ~ James Van Der Beek
Price: CDN$ 11.98
26 used & new from CDN$ 5.97

2.0 out of 5 stars WHY WHY WHY, June 22 2004
Okay, I was willing to overlook the music changes this time around, because I really enjoyed this show, and I grew up with this school. For better or for worse, Dawson's Creek will always remain in the back of my brain. Season 3 has alwasy been my favorite, but when i heard that they music changes where so drastic that the theme song is being replaced, I had to put my foot down!!!
Columbia why would you do this, or better yet, how could you? Don't you know that fans would rather have a MSRP of $80 or so for an additional disc (to lower compression) and to make ***MOST*** of the song???
I can't in good conscience recamend a DVD with the WRONG THEME SONG... Two stars is because I could never give DAwson a 1.

Everwood: The Complete First Season
Everwood: The Complete First Season
DVD ~ Various
Offered by Kay's Movies
Price: CDN$ 28.99
17 used & new from CDN$ 10.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Everwood!, June 10 2004
This series, which just finished it's second season on the WB network, is the perfect mix of comedy, drama, characters, and storylines. The show its self is about a family (the Browns) that move from New York City to the small town of Everwood after the passing of their mother.
From creator Greg Berlantini, comes a powerful series, that at first explores how a family must come to gripes with the death of a love one, but eventually evolves into a dramedy about getting on with one's life, with the beautiful Colorado Back Drop.
One of the best things Everwood has going for it is it's very talented cast. Treat Williams plays Dr. Andy Brown, Gregory Smith plays Ethram, Emily VanCamp plays Amy Abbott, while John Beasley, Tom Amandes, and Chris Pratt fill in the supporting cast. Not to mention the amazing Debra Mooney, who plays the tuff-as-nails Grandmother to the Abbott Clan.
Over the course of the 23-episode first season, the show manly surrounds the ongoing story of Collin Heart, a boy who was put into a comma after a car accident. But the overall arc of the season is not what makes this show so specail, its the stand-alone episodes which provide positive information on many subjects families should talk about but don't: Teen Drinking, Pregnancy, Abortion, Dieing Family Members, and so on.
Once again Warner Brothers had put together an amazing set of episodes from an ubelievably wonderful show, complamented by special features (4 commentaries, deleted scenes, and behind-the-scenes featurrettes). Also recamended "Gilmore Girls - The Complete First SEason."

Jeremiah: The Complete First Season
Jeremiah: The Complete First Season
DVD ~ Luke Perry
Price: CDN$ 84.59
6 used & new from CDN$ 34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sci-Fi fair, May 30 2004
When the series originally ran on the showtime network, I was only able to watch the pilot, for some reason. I really got into the show by watching the pilot movie, and really wanted to see the rest of the series. This Box-set is the perfect way to view the season in it's entirty.
The series itself is a mix of a couple series that have come before it. It has elements of firefly, stargate sg-1, dark angel, and Mad Max, but adds its own originally to it. But the one downside that I have found of this series is that a few people (at least in my group of friend) cannot stand Luke Perry, and if that is you, you should not even try to watch this, because no matter what anybody tells you this is definatly Luke Perry's show.

The Gatekeepers: Inside the Admissions Process of a Premier College
The Gatekeepers: Inside the Admissions Process of a Premier College
by Jacques Steinberg
Price: CDN$ 12.27
66 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Behind-the-Scenes Information, you normally wouldn't get, April 28 2004
About a week ago my English Teacher suggested us to purchase this book and read. She has been prepping us for the College process ever since September, and figured that the book would be a great way for us to understand what kind of thought that will be put into are applications. At first I was not excited about the book because I thought it would be dry and boring, but after reading the first couple pages, I could not put it down. Not only was the information very helpful, but the author really knows how to write a book, and he keeps you interested. I litterally could not wait to know what happens to the students protrayed in the book.
On the bad side though it did scare me a little, because I realized that different students are put on different pedistals. It really goes to show you that school are look for diversity and they will take some pretty major steps to get it (for example a minority student that attends a Prep School with a 3.2 GPA and a 1150 on the S.A.T.'s got excepted with a full ride with a non-minority student at the same prep school with a 3.9 GPA and a 1350 SAT did not).
The Other complant about the book is that it describes the admissions mostly for IVY or IVY-like schools (NOT STATE SCHOOLS), which for the first hundred pages make for confusing calculations (like when they say they like to see scores higher than 1350, for a state school that means 1000).
But all in all I am glad that I picked up the book and started to read, it was one in a long time that I could not put down, and one that I am happy that I have to put on my ever growing book shelf (Thanks Mrs. H!).

DVD ~ James Van Der Beek
Price: CDN$ 11.98
26 used & new from CDN$ 5.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back to the Creek, April 21 2004
Dawson's Creek was a series about 5 teenagers growing up in the small fictional town of Capeside. For the first 4 of its 6 years on Television it was considered the IT Teen TV and had its place as the WB Cornerstone set in Stone. The third season continues on the trail paved by seasons one and two: The characters begin another school year, boyfriends/girlfriends are found, life changes are made, and tears flow harder than rain... After reading this you will think that it is nothing more than a teen soap, and your right, but there is a major difference: After you watch this show, you remember the characters and take them with you where ever you go.
The third season might not be as good as seasons 1 and 2, but it is still better than most TV shows out there.

William Faulkner
William Faulkner
by Clarice Swisher
Edition: Library Binding
10 used & new from CDN$ 2.91

5.0 out of 5 stars A short trip to the Yoknapatawpha County, April 4 2004
This review is from: William Faulkner (Library Binding)
Last year, when I was assinged a report on the author William Faulkner, I knew nothing about him. I went to my school's library and checked out over 10 books. Out of the 6 non-fiction books that I checked out on the subject, this was the most complete, informative, and easy-to-understand. If it was not for this book, I doubt that I ever would have completed my Term Paper.
I highly recamend this book to anybody looking to learn about the life of one of america's most universal writers during the 1920s up until the early 60s.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6