Profile for Adrie > Reviews

Content by Adrie

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Adrie (Boston, MA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Beacon Street Collection
Beacon Street Collection
Price: CDN$ 8.79
28 used & new from CDN$ 1.52

5.0 out of 5 stars From An Ex-No Doubt Fanatic, Oct. 2 2002
Ok, I'm about to come out of the non-gay closet and say that I used to be crazy-obsessed with No Doubt. Somehow, I overcame this affliction, however I still have much affection for the band. Anyway, in my opinion this is the best No Doubt album. It's really, really fun. It makes me want to get up and dance. It's back from when No Doubt could still be considered a ska band, and obviously the sound goes along with that. This is an extremely energetic bunch of songs that will get your lazy [toosh]moving.

White Oleander: A Novel
White Oleander: A Novel
by Janet Fitch
Price: CDN$ 11.55
196 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Only The Most Perfect Book I've Ever Read, Oct. 2 2002
This is a completely beautiful story. It is at once sad, enfuriating, and optimistic. Astrid, the protaganist, faces so many difficulties and challenges that the reader can't help rooting for her. She is treated so badly by so many people. This book is extremely moving, I cried throughout the whole thing. Fitch is an extremely talented writer, not only does she create a captivating story, but she does so in some of the most beautiful language I've ever read. She also reveals many insights into our world in general. As sad as this book is, I think that its ultimate message is one of hope. And it is really very uplifting in an odd way.

Dog Handling
Dog Handling
by Clare Naylor
Price: CDN$ 14.56
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Clean Fun, Oct. 2 2002
This review is from: Dog Handling (Paperback)
I wanted to read this book after reading Naylor's book: Love:A User's Guide (really great book, read it). So I read this book and I was not disappointed in the least. It's a classic story, really. Or maybe it's more like every girl's fantasy: dumped by a boyfriend, devastated, and reunited with your first love. Naylor's writing style is very casual and conversational: she makes you feel like a friend. The characters she creates are charming and enjoyable. Just a really fun book, not exactly deep, but extremely entertaining. P.S. I reread this book immediately after I finished it cuz I just wanted more.

Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
by Sophie Kinsella
Price: CDN$ 12.27
198 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A Real Disappointment, Oct. 2 2002
I really, really loved the original book. I'm totally a shopaholic, and I could totally relate to Becky's plight. It was honestly the funniest book I've ever read. Needless to say I couldn't wait to read this sequel, my hopes were so high. However, I didn't enjoy this book at all. Becky seems to have lost a lot of her spunk, and honestly her character just depressed me in this sequel. Funny moments in this book were few and far between......I don't know. It wasn't horribly bad, it was just sort of pointless. I felt as though this book was a waste of my time.

When The Pawn...
When The Pawn...
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 20.29
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Album By An Amazing Artist, Sept. 26 2002
This review is from: When The Pawn... (Audio CD)
Let me start my review off by saying that is probably going to be biased. I absolutely LOVE Fiona, and in my opinion she can do no wrong, but I am trying to be objective in regards to the music.
I think that the songs Fiona writes are very easy to relate to. She writes about failed relationships and her own insecurities and failures. These are topics that I can very easily relate to. The words that she chooses are absolutely perfect for the emotions that she is expressing---they are true poetry.
I found the music on this CD much more catchy than that on her first album, Tidal. Some people say that this album is overproduced and I can see their point, but I don't think that it at all takes away from the songs.
My personal favorite songs are Paper Bag and Fast As You Can: what can I say. Oh my God. They are so original--music, lyrics, delivery, everything.
The only problem that I have with this CD is that it makes me realize that I will never be able to express my emotions as eloquently as Fiona

Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
Price: CDN$ 14.93
116 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is Her Best Album: Don't Let Anyone Tell You Otherwise, May 3 2002
Alright, this album does not suck. It is not weird. It is not a disappointment (as some pathetic reviewer said in a review for her new album)
This album is incredible, emotional, beautiful. It is amazing. It is better than Jagged Little Pill and Under Rug Swept (which both are also really good)
After an artist breaks with a really big album such as Jagged Little Pill, their followup becomes hugely overhyped and in almost every case the album is considered "weird" just because it doesn't sound just like the first. And when a followup does sound just like the one before everyone says the artist is uncreative and a fluke. That's not right.
Ok, enough politics, must focus on music. Favorite song: The Couch (if you hear it once you will be dying to hear it again, and if you hear it more than once, you will start singing it, and you will be glad, because the song it beautiful, and even if your family thinks you're crazy for busting out with this song over the car radio, they're just jealous). Joining you is also incredible, Baba to me is incredibly funny, but I think it's supposed to be. Needless to say my least favorite song on this is the one hit Thank U I do like it though. Most of the songs are about dysfunctional relationships: always a great topic in music. I love UR I could really relate to it as a late-teenage girl trying desperately to find myself.
Anyway, if you liked Alanis' first album, or if you didn't you really should try it. Just don't expect another Jagged Little Pill. This really is on a whole different level. Not to say that it's necessarily superior. It really is different, but not so incredibly different the same basic themes (relationships,religion) and sounds are still there, they are just changed a little bit.
I love this album. Buy it. It will make you feel good inside, trust me. Just one of these songs would do that. But there are 17 whole songs on this album. It's really a gift. We are lucky to have this album, and we are lucky to have Alanis.

Confessions of a Shopaholic
Confessions of a Shopaholic
by Sophie Kinsella
Price: CDN$ 11.91
253 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Um, Do You Like To Laugh?, May 3 2002
Ok, I have two confessions to make. One: I am a shopaholic + in many ways this book was painful (I'm not kidding). Second: I had never laughed outloud at a book before until this one (And now my roommate thinks I'm crazy).
Well being a shopaholic, I've wanted to read this book for a while, but I haven't had the time (too busy shopping, ya know?). Anyway this book is absolutely hysterical. The predicaments that the main character gets herself into, are just sooo funny. Ok I loved Rebecca Bloomwood, I thought she was a great character, really believable. A lot of people might think she was shallow or self-absorbed. But isn't everybody at times? And if you say no, you're just lying, and you're not fooling anyone. It's so obvious. And anyways she has her deep moments, I will defend a fellow shopaholic to the death (real, fictional, it doesn't matter).
Anyways, this story is a lot like a fairytale, you know there will be a happy ending. The excitement is on seeing the trials and tribulations that Rebecca goes through. And they are funny as hell. Seriously, if you have a sense of humor you will love this book. If you love to shop and have a sense of humor about it you will absolutely adore and treasure this book.

Empire Records (Sous-titres français) [Import]
Empire Records (Sous-titres français) [Import]
DVD ~ Anthony LaPaglia
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 160.47
6 used & new from CDN$ 16.47

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect movie......well, not entirely perfect, April 12 2002
This is by far my favorite movie of all time. I like teen movies, but teenage movies today are so different than the older ones. Today in teen movies, every character is either perfectly popular or a nerd. Empire Records has none of that. Every character is real....and you definitely know someone that is like each of the characters. No character in this movie is perfect, and that's perfect. The plot of this movie is completely predictable, but sometimes you gotta love predictable movies, at least you know there'll be a happy ending. The music in this movie is great: early/mid 90's alt-rock. There are so many great lines in this movie, that you can't help but throwing into your everyday language. After you've watched the movie about 30 billion times, you'll wish you worked in a record store. But definitely NOT a chain like Music Town. You wanna work for Joe at Empire Records. Why did I write this review: because dad says there are 24 usable hours in a day!

Riding In Cars With Boys Movie Tie In
Riding In Cars With Boys Movie Tie In
by Beverly Donofrio
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book about a girl in "trouble", March 12 2002
I was in the bookstore looking for a book to keep me busy. Drew Barrymore is one of my favorite actresses and seeing her on the cover is what inspired me to read the book. I hadn't seen the movie so I didn't really have a good idea of what to expect.
I'm really glad I read this book. It was quick, easy to read, and very interesting. It's about a girl who gets pregnant in high school, leading her to marriage and a family. I had a couple of friends that had babies in high school and it was NOT easy for them. Beverly is not your typical mother, but she seems to be a good one. She really cares for her son and they develop a close relationship. In the course of the book you really see Beverly grow: getting rid of her scumbag husband, getting an education, and following her dream of becoming a writer. Although her family tends to criticize her, there is no doubt that they love her; and it is great to see her relationship with them evolve.

The Landmark Thucydides: A Comprehensive Guide to the Peloponnesian War
The Landmark Thucydides: A Comprehensive Guide to the Peloponnesian War
by Robert B. Strassler
Price: CDN$ 18.77
44 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Recommended: But Only For Peloponnesian War Buffs, Feb. 15 2002
I'll admit that I would never have chosen this book on my own. Never in a million years. I was assigned this book for my international relations class, and when I picked it up at the bookstore, I was horrified! However, it wasn't really as bad as I'd expected.
Unless someone is EXTREMELY interested in ancient Greek history, I don't think that this would be an enjoyable book. However, I did learn a lot from it. Thucydides gives very good descriptions of leaders of different regions and how they came to power. I also liked the fact that there were "authentic" speeches throughout the text. These are probably more interesting, if they never really happened, because they show Thucydides' own thoughts on the war and on the Athenians and the Peloponnesians. I found the maps throughout the text distracting as it was very hard to locate places on them. Perhaps if the maps had been simpler, it would have taken less time to locate places.
This book is very detailed, and I personally don't think that all the details are that interesting. I would have been much happier with a more concise book of "highlights"

Page: 1 | 2