ARRAY(0xb3ed02dc)

Profile for Melissa Ann Minners > Reviews

Content by Melissa Ann Mi...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Melissa Ann Minners "wildkarrde3" (Bronx, NY USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Slave Ship: Star Wars (The Bounty Hunter Wars)
Slave Ship: Star Wars (The Bounty Hunter Wars)
by K.W. Jeter
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
77 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and Slow, June 3 2002
I read any and every Star Wars book that I can get my hands on. The Bounty Hunter Wars series was no exception. About now, I'm wishing that I wasn't such a die-hard fan! I've always bben intrigued by the bounty hunters in The Empire Strikes Back and I usually like to know the secrets behind the characters in the background of the trilogy. However, this novel doesn't give much insight into anyone except Bossk. This is the sequel to Mandalorian Armor, and the second book in The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. A dancing girl that escaped from Jabba the Hutt's Palace is searching for keys to her past. She knows she wasn't always one of Jabba's slaves, and that Boba Fett is somehow involved. In this part of the trilogy, Boba Fett has healed from his injuries in the Sarlaac Pit and is on his way to an unknown destination in a stolen ship with Neelah (the slave dancer) and Dengar (his savior) in tow. Along the way, Neelah forces information about Boba Fett out of Dengar. There are some scenes with Prince Xizor, but each scene seems to be a repeat performance of the first. Kud'ar Mub'at started off as an interesting character, but then became increasingly annoying. What happens to his character is pretty predictable considering that the author finds it necessary to remind us several times how Kud'ar Mub'at came into power in the first place (I won't tell you what happens in case you decide you still want to read this series). The book starts slow, gets slower, and finally, at the end, begins to pick up speed. However, by then, most people would have lost interest. I'm still trying to figure out what Neelah has to do with all of this. At least in this sequel, we finally begin to realize why Kuat Drive Yards' Administrator wants Boba Fett dead. Hopefully, the third book in the series will be the best. If you're a die-hard fan like I am, then you'll read this book. Otherwise, I suggest you ship this series - you won't be missing much.

The Mandalorian Armor: Star Wars (The Bounty Hunter Wars)
The Mandalorian Armor: Star Wars (The Bounty Hunter Wars)
by K.W. Jeter
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.89
71 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Boba Fett Fans May Find This Disappointing, June 3 2002
I bought this book because I read every Star Wars book that I can get my hands on. I actually thought that this would give me further insight into the minds of the mysterious bounty hunters that we all wondered about in The Empire Strikes Back. In this, I was not disappointed. I got to learn more about Dengar and Bossk and how the Bounty Hunter's Guild was disbanded. However, if you were looking for insight into the character of Boba Fett, look somewhere else. The only info about Boba Fett that you'll come away from this book with is: 1. Boba Fett is ruthless, 2. He has no friends, 3. He's as tough as nails. These things true Boba Fett fans already know. I thought maybe we would learn a little about his past, but all we learn is that Boba Fett likes to erase all ties (human or alien) to his past. As for Jeter's portrayal of the bounty hunter, Zuckuss, I found it to be lacking. Zuckuss is supposed to be a findsman - a warrior. In this book, he's nothing but a sniveling coward, mostly hiding behind Bossk. Once in a while, he may show some intelligence, but those moments are few and far between. If you like Prince Xizor, you may be pleased with HIS portrayal - as power hungry and obnoxious as ever. He's the only character that has ever made me want to root for Darth Vader. The most intriguing storyline is that of Neelah, an escapee from Jabba's Palace who's searching for clues about her past. This is why I rated this book with 3 stars instead of 2. I'm actually looking forward to finding out what her tie with Boba Fett is. As for Dengar, another disappointment. After reading Tales of the Bounty Hunters, I had the feeling that Dengar was tougher than he's portrayed in this novel. And there seem to be a couple of discrepencies with other expanded universe novels. If you're a diehard Star Wars fan like me, you struggle through this series. Otherwise I suggest you skip it - You aren't missing much.

Riding in Cars With Boys
Riding in Cars With Boys
VHS
5 used & new from CDN$ 1.12

4.0 out of 5 stars A Deeper Stretch For Drew Barrymore, May 14 2002
An intelligent girl makes a less than intelligent decision that changes her life. When Beverly (Drew Barrymore) gets humiliated by the man of her dreams, she throws herself into the arms of the man who defends her honor. Little does she know that Ray (Steve Zahn) is not exactly the knight in shining armor she was looking for. Now Beverly's pregnant at fifteen and the baby's father is not the man she wants to spend the rest of her life with. And what about the rest of her dreams: College? A writing career? We travel along with Beverly through twenty years of growth and changes as she attempts to raise her son AND follow her dreams.
I enjoyed this film and its inspiring message. It's almost hard to believe that this is based upon a true story - that of author Beverly Denofrio. Drew Barrymore does a great job with a difficult role and is very convincing as a both a 15-year-old pregnant high school student and a 35-year-old career-oriented mother. No, this isn't all drama, which tends to lend to its authenticity. Life definitely has its quirky moments. There's a particularly funny scene when Beverly talks with her best friend Fay (Brittany Murphy) about how to tell her parents about her pregnancy.
This is a great movie with some inspiring performances by Drew Barrymore, Steve Zahn, and Brittany Murphy. Although, some folks might see this as a "chick flick", I thinks it's worth checking out!

Star Wars: Infinities: A New Hope
Star Wars: Infinities: A New Hope
by Christopher S. Warner
17 used & new from CDN$ 1.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars: What If...?, May 12 2002
Star Wars fans have often wondered "What if...?" What if R2D2 and C3PO hadn't used the escape pod? What if Luke Skywalker had simply refused to help Ben Kenobi reach Alderaan? What if the Death Star hadn't been destroyed? What if Luke had completed his training before his fateful duel with Darth Vader? Well, now a new series of Star Wars comic books by Dark Horse Comics seeks to answer these questions and more. The series is called Star Wars Infinities and the concept is simple: Show the fans what the Star Wars trilogy could have become had certain events been altered.
The first movie to see such treatment is Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. In a 4-part miniseries, Star Wars Infinities tackles the question: What if the Death Star hadn't been destroyed? I just purchased the Trade Paperback version - a compilation of the four comic series. The first couple of pages offer a brief synopsis of events as they occurred in A New Hope. Then we get to see an alternate series of events centered on the Death Star trench run. "Alter one event and a new future comes to be. Splinter a link and a new chain is forged." Luke's photon torpedoes enter the reactor port, but nothing happens. What follows is an amazing turn of events that takes place over five years, during which we watch the fall of the rebellion, the rise of a new dark order, and the nurturing of a new hope.
I don't want to reveal too much about the storyline, because I think this is definitely a series that Star Wars fans should look into. Toted as "The World of Endless Star Wars Possibilities, Star Wars Infinities lives up to it's name! Great thought was put into the events as they might have occurred. The writing was excellent. Star Wars characters that we've grown to love and love to hate are perfectly captured in this series. A definite must have for collectors.
Now for the gripes, and believe me there are very few! For one thing, it seems that the writers completely forgot one of the main characters. Wedge Antilles was flying away from the Death Star with Luke, Han and Chewie when they received word that the mission was a wash. He's there one minute, and the next he's gone. Completely disappeared without a trace. Oops! My other gripe is only really half a gripe. It concerns the artwork. The cover art is exceptional (all 4 covers are showcased in a Cover Art Gallery). However, the interior art teeters from brilliant (as in the drawings of Leia, Ben, and Vader) and Manga-like (Luke and Han sometimes look like the original characters and sometimes appear to be characatures).
Those few simple gripes, however, definitely take nothing away from this series. I am greatly anticipating the next installment of this series: Star Wars Infinities: The Empire Strikes Back is due out in July. Make your way to your nearest comic book store or search for this series on the internet. This is definitely a series to keep an eye on!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4