Profile for Dena Leichnitz > Reviews

Content by Dena Leichnitz

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dena Leichnitz (Los Angeles, CA United States)

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
by Judith Viorst
Price: CDN$ 9.02
114 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Some books are timeless, April 18 2003
And Judith Viorst has created one of them. I didn't know who the author was until just today but Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day has been my all time favorite book since I can remember. Of course to all my adult friends, I would rather die than admit it. Even today, when I am having just one of those awful days, I tell people I am having an "Alexander" day. I think it also developed my love for poetry.
You hear all the time how it is important for kids to read, but it is just a cliche, it has lost all meaning. It is when you stop and think about authors like Judith Viorst or Dr. Seuss and how I know for myself it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have such a deep love for the written word and its magic it brings that you see its true value. Alexander is a classic, just as much as Moby Dick or Oliver Twist and everyone with a sense of whimsy (and especially those without it) need to read it.
I was reading another book Mrs. Viorst wrote and when I found out she wrote my beloved Alexander book, my face lit up. That's the power of Alexander, he makes 33 year old women's faces light up as they recall his tale of plight. (And a note to Alexander: I talked to my cousins in Australia, and your mother was right, they do have those kind of days there too. LOL)

I Wish I Had A Red Dress
I Wish I Had A Red Dress
by Pearl Cleage
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, Feb. 7 2003
I couldn't put the book down and ended staying up all night to read it. I liked the relationship between Joyce Mitchell and her girls. I read this book awhile back for a magazine called "Rapport" that I worked for doing book reviews. And it was one of the few books I gave a rave review too. ... but I would definitely recommend this book to everyone!

Imitation of Life [Import]
Imitation of Life [Import]
DVD ~ Lana Turner
Price: CDN$ 14.99
25 used & new from CDN$ 9.45

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best films ever!, Jan. 29 2003
This review is from: Imitation of Life [Import] (DVD)
Okay so I haven't seen the DVD specifically but I have seen the film and for a person who thinks filmmaking didn't even exist prior to Star Wars (I'm a 70's baby what can I say), I have to say I found this film both entertaining, thoughtful and downright aggravating. Anything that can make me feel all that is definitely worth recognition.
Juanita Moore is wonderful as the mother, Annie Johnson, who only wants her daughter to accept her. Susan Kohner portrays the hateful Sarah Jane, a bit too well, as she rejects everything being Black means in 1950's America and tries to pass herself off as White.
If you don't want to slap Sarah Jane and scream at her at the top of your lungs, then you might want to check your pulse. If Juanita's peformance as the dismissed mother doesn't touch your heart, then you might not have one. Imitation of Life is definitely a misnomer because there is no film out there that is more original.