Profile for Joseph P. McDonald > Reviews

Content by Joseph P. McDonald

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Joseph P. McDonald (Whittier, California United States)

Price: CDN$ 19.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 11.53

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare collection of music, Jan. 31 2003
This review is from: V1 Afterhours (Audio CD)
Although it contains a couple of tracks by The Human League and Depeche Mode most of the artists on this two CD set are obscure, at least to this U.S. listener. They may be familiar to some U.K. or German listeners or to the real hardcore Trance/electronic aficionados.
The collection of tunes are slow, dark and mysterious. They don't pound you the way some Hard House does but contain lots of power nonetheless, especially in the lower ranges. I've done searches on many of the artists and come up with very little, unfortunately. After listening to single tracks by Froyd, Momu or Vogon I'd buy anything I could find by these artists.
Although I didn't see it listed, it comes with a video enhanced CD. I had to download quicktime player to view it. I haven't tried it in my home DVD player yet. The tune by Balago, "Pendulos" started playing and some very weird but cool video started. The same genre as Eraserhead maybe? Extremely cool video.
The only thing that might resemble this CD that could be considered mainstream might be Jimmy Van M or perhaps Taylor's Synesthesia CD, Although this may be a little less intense and a little more flowing, it is every bit as interesting. Some of the finest electronic/esoteric material that will blow away any party. An important addition to my collection. If I have 300 electronic/trance CD's this is in the top 5, easily.

Price: CDN$ 19.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 11.53

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare collection of music, Jan. 31 2003
This review is from: V1 Afterhours (Audio CD)
Although I didn't see it listed, it comes with a video enhanced CD. I had to download quicktime player to view it. I haven't tried it in my home DVD player yet. The tune by Pendulos started playing and some very weird but cool video started. The same genre as Eraserhead maybe? Extremely cool video.

Armageddon
Armageddon
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 379.26
5 used & new from CDN$ 20.93

5.0 out of 5 stars All time favorite album, June 6 2002
This review is from: Armageddon (Audio CD)
In the era of the late sixties to the mid seventies this is probably one of the greatest, yet underrated rock bands of them all. Back then I always, and I mean always, looked past commercial radio for something more obscure, extremely hard rockin, underground. I found it in Armageddon.
Keith Relf is Armageddon. His vocals are otherworldly.
Martin Pugh's guitar work is in a word, unique. I've never heard anything like it before. Words like sizzle, razor sharp etc. don't begin to describe it.
Louis Cennamo on bass fits perfect.
Bobby Caldwell on drums sounds like a machine. Unbelieveable.
I feel this album will also appeal to the younger motorheads who weren't even around in 1975.
The original liner notes describe it as "highly sophisticated, tangibly moody and breathlessly intense." It is every bit of that. I wore out my first copy and picked up a another one in 1978. It is an ornament that will remain sealed. I then procured a white label promo and played that one almost to death. I have around 2,500 LP's from my party days. This one stands alone as my all time favorite Rock album.
The Import CD does not contain the original liner notes, although it does give a good but brief bio of the group inside. And where the original L.P. had the lyrics printed on the inner sleeve the CD doesn't contain them. But don't let those minor omissions stop you from enjoying one of the greatest underground rock albums ever.
This album should be played LOUD.

Sound Of Trance And Hard House
Sound Of Trance And Hard House
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 87.02
2 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great deal, April 7 2002
I gave this set five stars partly because of price. It's a good bargain. It also contains some downright outstanding tunes. A buddy of mine who is a veteran technoid listened to the four Hard House CD's and was simply blown away. I'd guess every one of those tracks are over 120 bpm. The trance set has some old favorite artists and tunes that have been updated some. A very, very good deal for someone new to this genre and looking to bulk up their collection.

Rings of Steel
Rings of Steel
Price: CDN$ 24.95
9 used & new from CDN$ 3.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Good hard rockin CD, Jan. 19 2002
This review is from: Rings of Steel (Audio CD)
If you like Ramstein or Nitzerebb you will surely like this one. Hard rockin industrial stuff with some electronic sounds that combine to make some great tunes. While many groups throw in a slow easy song or two this group keeps hammering at you. And they sing in English too. Great hardcore music that won't disapoint anyone.