Profile for Holly Rose > Reviews

Content by Holly Rose

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Holly Rose (Texas)

Offered by Everything 80s
Price: CDN$ 5.98
20 used & new from CDN$ 2.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Her favorite out of the Baby Einstein collection, May 2 2004
This review is from: Baby Beethoven (DVD)
It's hard to explain why some of these are a hit and some aren't. It could really depend on the individual baby. My daughters two favorites are Baby Beethoven and also the Numbers Nursery. She likes Mozart and Bach too but this one puts a serious smile on her face. Maybe she just really likes Beethoven!!!! I will say that she absolutely hates the Neptune video. Who knows why?

Baby Einstein - Baby Neptune - Discovering Water
Baby Einstein - Baby Neptune - Discovering Water
DVD ~ Julie Aigner-Clark
Offered by Everything 80s
Price: CDN$ 29.99
18 used & new from CDN$ 3.14

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT a good one at all, April 23 2004
My 9 month old daughter who loooooves Baby Eienstein videos totally hates this one. I don't know why but this one simply was a total waste of money. Whatever their formula is that makes babies love these videos was lost on this one. It is well known among other moms that this is the one to stay away from.

How to Prepare for the Praxis with Audio CD with CDROM
How to Prepare for the Praxis with Audio CD with CDROM
by Robert Postman
22 used & new from CDN$ 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Nov. 17 2003
Absolutely excellent. I aced it because of this book. It is exactly like the test. Worth every penny. Don't take the test without using this book.

Because Each Life Is Precious: Why an Iraqi Man Risked Everything for Private Jessica Lynch
by Mohammed Odeh Al-Rehaief
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars God Bless Him!, Nov. 11 2003
This is an amazing story about an amazing man. God Bless America and one of our precious new citizens

Measure Of A Man
Measure Of A Man
Offered by _betterworldbooks_
Price: CDN$ 3.59
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't I give it 10 stars??, Oct. 15 2003
This review is from: Measure Of A Man (Audio CD)
Clay Aiken has a gorgeous voice. I haven't heard a truly talented singer like this in a very long time. They realized that Clay's voice is made for the ballad. If you like fast rock songs you won't like this. If you like Clay Aiken you will adore this CD. Now it is important to say that of course there area couple of songs I don't care for. However most of the times you buy a CD and there are 1 or 2 songs you like. Not so with this one. Every single song is good. Some are better than others but they are all good and they all show off his talent.
I have to say that Clay Aiken justifies reality television. If we have to put up with some of the ridiculous reality tv shows just to get Clay Aiken out of it then it's all worth it. This young man was just a regular guy in NC going to college to be a special ed teacher. Most of the people who know him from college said they did not even know he could sing. How is that for humility???? Clay has an amazing personality to go with his amazing voice. He is so humble. People that attended college with him did not even know he could sing. He is so modest. For young kids they like to look up to singers this is one their parents can actually be happy with them looking up to. Clay is just a totally amazing guy and I hope he goes very far with his career. There is no one else who deserves this as much as he does. What a gem.

by Steve Ray
Price: CDN$ 14.40
29 used & new from CDN$ 9.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Former baptist, Sept. 9 2003
Stumbled across this book by accident or maybe it was divine providence. I was a very happy southern baptist until I read this book. Then I was horrified. This book very plainly laid it all out for me and I found myself reading everything I could get my hands on after this to back up his claims.
I am now in RCIA. That is the year long class you must go through to convert to the catholic church. My entire family is converting. Praise God for this book!

by Steve Ray
Price: CDN$ 14.40
29 used & new from CDN$ 9.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Footnotes alone are worth the money, Aug. 29 2003
This book is the first one I ever read on the subject of catholicism. It is the single most influential book in my conversion to the catholic church from the southern baptist church. What makes this book different from other conversion stories is the massive amount of footnotes and research backing up everything. For that reason it doubles as both a story/testimony and as an encyclopedia of sorts. I don't recommend reading this book unless you are ready to go where God leads you.

Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution: Completely Updated!
Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution: Completely Updated!
by Robert Atkins
Price: CDN$ 8.54
229 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive Overeater/Food addict, Aug. 16 2003
Thank you Dr. Atkins. You have given me my life back. Why did it take me so long to try this diet? I certainly had tried every other diet at least three or four times. People think this is just a diet book but it is so much more than that. Only a portion of the book is about the actual diet itself. Dr. Atkins explains in detail why we can't succeed on diets and why we have these cravings. All my life I thought I had some sort of character defect. That I had no willpower. That I was weak or irresponsible. Why can't I stick to a diet?? The cravings are real and intense. I craved cake, donuts, and other items like this as if I was a drug addict. I couldn't fathom the idea of giving them up so I didn't care how many people told me atkins worked. I wasn't going to give up bread, pasta, cake etc. I was an addict. I finally got desperate enough and obese enough that I was ready to have a gastric bypass surgery and it was my doctor who told me that even for the gastric bypass patients, after the sugery the diet they are given is basically the atkins diet...low carb. He told me that I needed to try it first and see if it did not help relieve me of these horrible cravings that I couldn't beat. I had tried everything else. I really thought I had a mental disease that kept me overeating. Dr. Atkins explains very well that some of us are insulin resistant or have hyperinsulinemia. There is a biological reason for why we crave sweets and other foods like this. You will go through withdrawal for at least a week but when it's over with you will be free!!!!!! For the first time in my entire life I am free of these cravings, I am not hungry at all. I have to remind myself to eat. He taught me so much about how my body works. Now I know that if I suddenly find myself craving sweets again, that means something I ate triggered it. I can go back and find that there were hidden carbs in that food or maybe too much sugar but there is ALWAYS a reason if I start to have cravings again. Dr. Atkins taught me that intense cravings are NOT normal and that you do not have to live with them every day. You do not have to go through your life craving constantly and always being hungry. Not only that you will get your life back. Your energy level will improve. I never realized that I was walking around in a carb fog. I was depressed, tired, in pain, with mood swings and no energy at all. After only a few weeks I felt like I had been cured of a terminal disease. From someone who has been on diets for 15 years, this is not a diet. This is a way of life. People that say you gain the weight back don't understand that this is not a diet...it's a long term way of life. They gained the weight back because they started eating their addictive foods again which started the craving cycle back up again and took them back into that hell. Alcoholics don't get sober and then go have a beer, ok? You have to really read this book though. Dr. Atkins has the answer. He is the only person who knew what was wrong with me and cured it. Something Weight Watchers, Meridia, Overeaters Anonymous,in-patient treatment programs and therapists could not ever do for me. He tells you in intricate detail the do's and don'ts and if you accept what he offers you will be free of these cravings and get your life back. He has everything in this book from how to deal with your cravings if they come back, how to deal with things emotionally etc. This book saved my life, literally. Dr. Atkins is my angel in heaven. I hope that if you suffer from compulsive overeating or a binge eating disorder you take the time to read this book through, every word, twice and then give it a try. Get online too and find the "active low carb support forum" and find others on atkins. There is a way out of this hell. You are not mentally deficient or lacking in willpower. You have a biological disorder and there is a cure.

Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program
Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program
by Dr Heller
134 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but...., Aug. 14 2003
This is one of my top favorite books. Basically you have Atkins, this book and Protein Power. All versions of the same thing. Personally, I liked this book best of all as far as how they wrote it. It was very readable, and they explained things in understandable terms. They do explain the idea of hyperinsulinemia very well. Even though they are both doctors they both had weight problems and speak from experience. They do not gloss over the why's of low carbing but they also don't tell it to you in textbook terminology so that you really do understand it. I will admit that I don't like the idea of a Reward Meal. I am a true carb addict and for me , personally, I don't feel I could handle even one donut. According to this book you don't have to banish the bad carbs such as donuts, cookies etc. forever much the way you will on atkins and others. However as a true food addict I know my trigger foods. If you are truly addicted to certain foods then even one bite of a donut is too much. I might be just too afraid to find out but for me the risk is not worth it. So I don't follow the reward meal. I still liked the book a lot and it is highly recommended if you are going to low carb.

Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
by Christian B. Allan
Price: CDN$ 13.68
48 used & new from CDN$ 7.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this a textbook?, Aug. 13 2003
For me personally this was marketed as a book for the average Joe (at least by the title, the cover, and even the "blurb" on the book jacket) however it read like my science textbook from college. Unless you have an affinity for the sciences you may end up completely lost and in a fog. If you want to know in depth the science behind low carbing this is it. No doubt about it. However I will have to read the book probably 3 more times to "get it". If you want to know more than a little bit but not as much as God himself then I recommend instead going with Protein Power or Carbohydrate Addicts or even Atkins. All those books explain the same thing. Not in as much detail but unless you have a degree in chemistry you may not even understand what these authors are talking about. That is just me though...I don't have the attention span for textbook reading.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3