Profile for Kris > Reviews

Content by Kris

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Kris (Minneapolis, MN)

The Burning Times: A Novel
The Burning Times: A Novel
by Jeanne Kalogridis
Price: CDN$ 18.89
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Let down, March 6 2002
I was somewhat disappointed in this book. I was expecting something more informative in terms of historical reference and contemporary lives, attitudes, beliefs, etc. I found the writing increasingly simplistic and annoying and by the final few chapters was skimming rather than reading the novel, simply to get to the end. If the rituals and practices described in this book were properly researched and accurately described, fine and good, but as something that was supposed to be a picture of 14th Century France, I got no sense of that. It could've been written about any period of history. Not something I'd recommend to other readers.

Ramses: The Son of Light - Volume I
Ramses: The Son of Light - Volume I
by Christian Jacq
Price: CDN$ 24.22
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Children's fiction?, March 21 2001
I wish someone had told me this was a children's book before I bought it. Then I might not have found the overly simplistic writing style quite so annoying. It was really difficult to form any attachment or even interest in the characters as they were all so superficially drawn and breaking off each incident and anecdote after a couple of paragraphs made it very hard to gain any sense of continuity. I read the book to the end as I was truly interested in Ramses' fate, but I doubt I'll buy any more in this series. Which is a shame as I find history and especially ancient Egypt fascinating. Nice try, shame about the outcome.

The Right Hand Of Amon
The Right Hand Of Amon
by Lauren Haney
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Dullsville, Jan. 22 2001
Although I read the book to the end, it was a struggle. The characters were superficial, the background descriptions unsatisfying and the denouement not particularly gripping. Having been spoilt by Lindsay Davis's wonderful Falco series, I was hoping for something more evocative of daily life in Ancient Egypt but I never got a real sense of anything in this story. I won't be reading any more adventures of Lt Bak.

The Bad Girl's Guide to Getting What You Want
The Bad Girl's Guide to Getting What You Want
by Cameron Tuttle
77 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-empowerment for women of the 90s, Jan. 17 2001
I loved this book. It is a hilarious, tongue-in-cheek guide to living in the modern world for women of all ages and backgrounds. With helpful advice on everything from scoring a job interview to finding an apartment, this is the best self-help book to come along in years. Can't wait to buy and read the Guide to the Open Road and any further tomes from Ms Tuttle.