Profile for Carmen > Reviews

Content by Carmen

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Carmen

Night Street
Night Street
by Kristel Thornell
Price: CDN$ 14.56
29 used & new from CDN$ 5.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to match the artist, June 22 2012
This review is from: Night Street (Paperback)
Night Street is a dreamy book, filled with passion for art. The life of Clarice Beckett is imagined, although she was a real artist living at the beginning of the twentieth century who painted some wonderfully modern pieces in Australia. She was virtually unknown during her life due to her gender and the different nature of her work, but when her pieces were rediscovered she became part of Australia's artistic history. Kristel Thornell has depicted her life as introverted, secluded and consumed by her painting. Indeed, the author evoked the artist in the book - the writing was dreamy, tonal, illuminating, and lyrical. It is hard to believe that this is her first novel.

Gathering of Waters
Gathering of Waters
by Bernice L. McFadden
Price: CDN$ 12.78
38 used & new from CDN$ 6.83

3.0 out of 5 stars Magical quick read, May 22 2012
This review is from: Gathering of Waters (Paperback)
This was a wonderfully wrought story which delved into the world of a family line in the prescient town of Money, Mississippi. There is something magical that moves through the entire length of the narrative, and I appreciated the mix of the fantastical and worldly. I read this book quite quickly - its size is deceptive and the story moves along at a quick pace. In fact, that was the main thing I disliked - I wished more time and attention had been taken with the characters. It seemed that just as we got to know them a little bit, they were gone. People's motives were spelled out because they were in and out of the story so quickly and if we had lingered on them longer, their actions would have seemed somehow more natural.

Man Overboard!
Man Overboard!
by Curtis Parkinson
Price: CDN$ 10.79
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for boys., April 20 2012
This review is from: Man Overboard! (Paperback)
When the package first got here, my 11-year-old son stole it out of my hands, saying, "Finally, a book for me!" He disappeared for half a day, and when he emerged he made me order Curtis Parkinson's older books so he could read those as well. I also enjoyed this young adult book - it was fast-paced, full of dilemma, mystery, and a wee bit of romance - just right for a boy of a certain age. The combination of ships, Nazis, kidnapping, and a diabolical plan were spot on. Is he an author I would read more? No. But for my boys, he is the kind of writer that I will direct them toward.

Absolution
Absolution
by Patrick Flanery
Price: CDN$ 20.06
6 used & new from CDN$ 6.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first novel, April 17 2012
This review is from: Absolution (Hardcover)
This book was tremendously well written! I loved the four-pronged narrative and the divergence in each story. South Africa itself felt like another character, the way it affected so many decisions and brought up such a host of emotions in the human characters. The themes of guilt, loss, and entrapment were thoroughly explored in Sam and Clare, and the relationship between the two of them felt genuine. How much do you let another person know that you know? When can you trust enough? Who will be the first to speak? I will be on the lookout for more books by Patrick Flanery.

Harbor
Harbor
by John Ajvide Lindqvist
Price: CDN$ 23.99
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique and interesting, Oct. 21 2011
This review is from: Harbor (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Lindqvist did a good job of slowly introducing the supernatural into this story, making it more believable than if he had hit us over the head with it at the beginning of the book. I found that even with 500 pages the read was fairly quick. It is reminiscent of a Stephen King with the way it entwines reality with mysterious and unexplainable happenings.