Profile for C. J. Thompson > Reviews

Content by C. J. Thompson

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

C. J. Thompson "Arctic John" (Pond Inlet, Nunavut Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Flesh Of The Living (2012)
Flesh Of The Living (2012)
DVD ~ N/A
Price: CDN$ 15.95
11 used & new from CDN$ 15.95

1.0 out of 5 stars that this is absolutely the worst movie I have ever come across, July 20 2016
This review is from: Flesh Of The Living (2012) (DVD)
I can say, quite unequivocally, that this is absolutely the worst movie I have ever come across. Occasionally you hear it said that a movie is so bad that it's good... that doesn't apply here. It is so amateurishly bad in everything from the technical aspect of sound and camera work to script and acting. I turned it off after about 20 minutes.

Christmas Horror Story
Christmas Horror Story
DVD ~ Various
Price: CDN$ 18.88
3 used & new from CDN$ 18.88

2.0 out of 5 stars that this might be a tongue-in-cheek sort of production that I might enjoy. Instead it is a 'serious' horror movie that, July 19 2016
This review is from: Christmas Horror Story (DVD)
Oh drear, oh dear,,, I rather thought, after reading the reviews, that this might be a tongue-in-cheek sort of production that I might enjoy. Instead it is a 'serious' horror movie that. not even loosely combines three threads that really don't resolve, If there was decent gore, or lots of gratuitous nudity,this movie might redeem itself. Otherwise it is is just schlock that ain't worth the money....

The Bible Problem
The Bible Problem
Price: CDN$ 1.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, April 14 2015
This review is from: The Bible Problem (Kindle Edition)
This reads like a recording of someone babbling while drunk or stoned. The author introduces one rant by saying 'where do I begin?' .... Presimably this is the sort of thing you decide before you publish...

Lancaster: The Second World War's Greatest Bomber
Lancaster: The Second World War's Greatest Bomber
by Leo McKinstry
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and entertaining, Sept. 5 2011
I found this to be a very good book on the whole. During the first few pages, I rather thought that it was going to be a 'rah-rah' tale of stiff upper-lipped English heroes thrashing the hun but I quickly realized that it was actually a well written history that not only details the story of the Lancaster but also presents a well balanced and sometimes scathing overview of the entire British strategic bombing program. It is an entertain read generally but my one criticism of the book is that it is not terribly well organized. The author tends to skip around a bit to much; touching on a topic only to revisit it many times throughout the narrative. He doesn't become repetitive at all, but the jumping about did rather detract from my overall enjoyment.

Taste of the Orient
Taste of the Orient
by Alison Granger
18 used & new from CDN$ 5.07

4.0 out of 5 stars A long time favourite, Sept. 3 2011
This review is from: Taste of the Orient (Hardcover)
I have owned this book for almost 25 years and I received it as a gift back when my library of cookbooks boasted only a dozen or so volumes. It covers 12 different cookery regions in the far east and provides a wide range of interesting, easy to follow and (mostly) well illustrated recipes from each region, along with some informative introductory textual material as well. My collection now includes many books about each of the cuisines covered in this book so it is now a little bit out of date for me. It is too old and worn to be worth passing on to anybody else so I am retiring it from my overcrowded shelves, but I have no hesitation in recommending it as a useful and interesting cookery book.

Indonesian Street Food Secrets: A Culinary Travel Odyssey
Indonesian Street Food Secrets: A Culinary Travel Odyssey
by Keith Ruskin Miller
13 used & new from CDN$ 46.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely put together, Sept. 2 2011
This is a great introduction to Indonesian food. Great illustrations and well chosen, easy to follow recipes. The introductory material is very good, especially the section on native Indonesian foodstuffs. I mislaid the CD that came with the book not long after I purchased it but I wasn't impressed with it as adding significantly to what is found in this nice little book.

Authentic Recipes from the Philippines
Authentic Recipes from the Philippines
by Reynaldo G. Alejandro
10 used & new from CDN$ 9.54

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice introductory volume, Sept. 2 2011
I know there are Philippino restaurants outside of the Philippines but I have yet to encounter one. I have several cookbooks that include recipes from the Phillipines but this is the first book I have purchased which is dedicated to the topic and I very much enjoyed reading all the introductory material at the beginning. The photography is excellent and the recipes very interesting. I have only tried a couple so far but I love browsing through them.

Authentic Recipes From Singapore
Authentic Recipes From Singapore
by Djoko Wibisono
10 used & new from CDN$ 1.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Sept. 2 2011
This is another great publication from the 'Authentic recipes from ..." series. I especially like this volume as Singapore is one of the world destinations I would like to visit on a culinary tour. My wife was lucky enough to visit Singapore this year and I gave her this book to take with her. She found it a great introduction to the cuisine and helped her to focus her food explorations so she could later tell me about the great meals she experienced.

Authentic Recipes from Malaysia: [Malaysian Cookbook, 62 Recpies]
Authentic Recipes from Malaysia: [Malaysian Cookbook, 62 Recpies]
by Wendy Hutton
Price: CDN$ 17.95
12 used & new from CDN$ 2.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, Sept. 2 2011
The 'Authentic recipes from ... " series is very good and this particular volume in the set is no exception. The illustrations are excellent, the recipes well chosen and easy to follow, and the textual material on Malaysia and its cuisine very interesting. There are more comprehensive books on the subject available but this is a terrific introduction.

Killer Department
Killer Department
by Robert Cullen
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
17 used & new from CDN$ 7.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, Sept. 2 2011
The subject of serial killers is an absorbing,if gruesome subject, and the story of Andrei Chikatilo is particularly fascinating, especially given how prolific was his murderous 'career'. This book is interesting and well written and is a good complement to another book on the same subject entitled Red Ripper. That book puts the focus on Chikatilo himself and is a very personal portrait of the killer, while this book focuses on the investigation and the investigators, with only a chapter or so dealing with Chikatilo's personal history. On the whole, I think I preferred the former but that is just a matter of personal taste and I would recommend both books to those with an interest in the topic.
Comment Comment | Permalink