Profile for C. J. Thompson > Reviews

Content by C. J. Thompson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 367

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

C. J. Thompson "Arctic John" (Pond Inlet, Nunavut Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lancaster: The Second World War's Greatest Bomber
Lancaster: The Second World War's Greatest Bomber
by Leo McKinstry
Price: CDN$ 16.14
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and entertaining, Sept. 5 2011
I found this to be a very good book on the whole. During the first few pages, I rather thought that it was going to be a 'rah-rah' tale of stiff upper-lipped English heroes thrashing the hun but I quickly realized that it was actually a well written history that not only details the story of the Lancaster but also presents a well balanced and sometimes scathing overview of the entire British strategic bombing program. It is an entertain read generally but my one criticism of the book is that it is not terribly well organized. The author tends to skip around a bit to much; touching on a topic only to revisit it many times throughout the narrative. He doesn't become repetitive at all, but the jumping about did rather detract from my overall enjoyment.

Taste of the Orient
Taste of the Orient
by Alison Granger
20 used & new from CDN$ 4.07

4.0 out of 5 stars A long time favourite, Sept. 3 2011
This review is from: Taste of the Orient (Hardcover)
I have owned this book for almost 25 years and I received it as a gift back when my library of cookbooks boasted only a dozen or so volumes. It covers 12 different cookery regions in the far east and provides a wide range of interesting, easy to follow and (mostly) well illustrated recipes from each region, along with some informative introductory textual material as well. My collection now includes many books about each of the cuisines covered in this book so it is now a little bit out of date for me. It is too old and worn to be worth passing on to anybody else so I am retiring it from my overcrowded shelves, but I have no hesitation in recommending it as a useful and interesting cookery book.

Indonesian Street Food Secrets: A Culinary Travel Odyssey
Indonesian Street Food Secrets: A Culinary Travel Odyssey
by Keith Ruskin Miller
12 used & new from CDN$ 41.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely put together, Sept. 2 2011
This is a great introduction to Indonesian food. Great illustrations and well chosen, easy to follow recipes. The introductory material is very good, especially the section on native Indonesian foodstuffs. I mislaid the CD that came with the book not long after I purchased it but I wasn't impressed with it as adding significantly to what is found in this nice little book.

Authentic Recipes from the Philippines
Authentic Recipes from the Philippines
by Reynaldo G. Alejandro
7 used & new from CDN$ 29.54

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice introductory volume, Sept. 2 2011
I know there are Philippino restaurants outside of the Philippines but I have yet to encounter one. I have several cookbooks that include recipes from the Phillipines but this is the first book I have purchased which is dedicated to the topic and I very much enjoyed reading all the introductory material at the beginning. The photography is excellent and the recipes very interesting. I have only tried a couple so far but I love browsing through them.

Authentic Recipes From Singapore
Authentic Recipes From Singapore
by Djoko Wibisono
Price: CDN$ 17.95
16 used & new from CDN$ 5.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Sept. 2 2011
This is another great publication from the 'Authentic recipes from ..." series. I especially like this volume as Singapore is one of the world destinations I would like to visit on a culinary tour. My wife was lucky enough to visit Singapore this year and I gave her this book to take with her. She found it a great introduction to the cuisine and helped her to focus her food explorations so she could later tell me about the great meals she experienced.

Authentic Recipes from Malaysia: [Malaysian Cookbook, 62 Recpies]
Authentic Recipes from Malaysia: [Malaysian Cookbook, 62 Recpies]
by Wendy Hutton
Price: CDN$ 12.96
27 used & new from CDN$ 12.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, Sept. 2 2011
The 'Authentic recipes from ... " series is very good and this particular volume in the set is no exception. The illustrations are excellent, the recipes well chosen and easy to follow, and the textual material on Malaysia and its cuisine very interesting. There are more comprehensive books on the subject available but this is a terrific introduction.

Killer Department
Killer Department
by Robert Cullen
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
15 used & new from CDN$ 24.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, Sept. 2 2011
The subject of serial killers is an absorbing,if gruesome subject, and the story of Andrei Chikatilo is particularly fascinating, especially given how prolific was his murderous 'career'. This book is interesting and well written and is a good complement to another book on the same subject entitled Red Ripper. That book puts the focus on Chikatilo himself and is a very personal portrait of the killer, while this book focuses on the investigation and the investigators, with only a chapter or so dealing with Chikatilo's personal history. On the whole, I think I preferred the former but that is just a matter of personal taste and I would recommend both books to those with an interest in the topic.

The Sterling Cook Book - Karnataka Cuisine
The Sterling Cook Book - Karnataka Cuisine
by Ranee Vijaia Kuttaiah

3.0 out of 5 stars Not terribly impressive, Aug. 14 2011
There are not a lot of books on Karnataka cuisine and this is the only one I own. For that reason alone I am not sorry I purchased it but I have to say, though, that it is not a great book at all. It is tiny in size, has very few recipes and even fewer illustrations. The recipes are fairly clear but they are short to the point of being almost terse. A purchase price of more than five or six dollars is too much.

Parsi Kitchen
Parsi Kitchen
by Jeani Mohindra
Price: CDN$ 8.96
16 used & new from CDN$ 1.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much to the book but nicely written, Aug. 14 2011
This review is from: Parsi Kitchen (Paperback)
This is just a tiny little book with only 50 recipes, but what those that are provided are nice easy to follow. More photographs would have been nicer and the book would be much improved with a larger format.

Delights From Maharashtra
Delights From Maharashtra
by Aroona Reejhsinghani
3 used & new from CDN$ 12.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, Aug. 14 2011
There is not much to recommend in this book. The physical product is very poor and the pages are already falling out despite the book being relatively new. The recipes are not very well written and give the impression of having been hurriedly and sloppily put together. One recipe entitled 'Peanut potatoes' lists peanuts in the ingredients but then never mentions them in the instructions. Another recipe contains 'Kheema' in the title, which usually refers to minced meat of some type, but there is no meat mentioned anywhere in the body of the recipe itself. I would have only given two stars except I quite liked the pickle and chutney recipes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20