countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools
Profile for Robert Badgley > Reviews

Content by Robert Badgley
Top Reviewer Ranking: 135

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Robert Badgley (St Thomas,Ontario,Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SophiaGlobal Compatible Ink Cartridge Replacement for Canon PGI-5 and CLI-8 (15 Pack)
Price: CDN$ 29.64
6 used & new from CDN$ 29.64

5.0 out of 5 stars funny that I do not see it listed now, July 7 2016
I bought this big pack for my Canon IP3300 printer;funny that I do not see it listed now,as it originally was(?).Be that as it may,I have already inserted some fresh cartridges from this pack into the printer and they work beautifully.
For the amount of ink here,to get a Canon equivalent would cost far past $100.00,in fact probably nearer $200.00.What a total bargain and the quality is none too shabby either.Recommended.

Hollywood Monster: A Walk Down Elm Street with the Man of Your Dreams
Hollywood Monster: A Walk Down Elm Street with the Man of Your Dreams
by Robert Englund
Price: CDN$ 22.99
16 used & new from CDN$ 16.82

3.0 out of 5 stars A promising book,with little substance., July 4 2016
I suppose when one gets the cachet that Mr.,Englund has gotten vis a vis becoming/playing one of the most iconic monsters in filmdom,he has a right to say what he wants and how he says it.I guess the latter is what I had the problem with.
Mr.Englund comes across as one of your best frat buds,with all the accompanying bad language.He goes on a swear tear through a good portion of the first part of the book.When he finally gets to his time on the NOES sets he settles down and the language becomes more,shall we say,"respectable".After this,coming down the home stretch and realizing that he better get back on track,the bad language starts rearing its ugly head once again.Maybe the trouble is I just came off re-reading one of Bruce Campbell's books and even though his writing style mimics his smart ass persona,his language is straight down the line.Swearing takes no brains or talent.
Then we have the problem that this book is a light read....a VERY light read.There is no real depth to his stories, as we breeze through every aspect of his career.It is all potatoes and no meat.In the "acknowledgements "section of the book Mr,.Englund addresses this very issue saying"....economy and my desire to give an affectionate survey....prevents that attention to detail".I disagree.The only thing standing in your way Mr.Englund was YOU.As a HUGE fan of you and your iconic character I was,ofr instance, longing to hear of on set antics on NOES,inside jokes,the camaraderie,or lack thereof with your co stars,etc., etc..Instead we got bupkiss.Total blandsville.Most all I read any good fan already knew beforehand.
In conclusion Mr.Englund's book is as shallow as waxed paper.It was like reading a slightly fleshed out Wikipedia entry.It seemed as if I was riding down Hollywood Blvd. at three in the morning with Mr.Englund at the wheel,and flooring it.Not a bad ride but the scenery is a total blur.
He also seemed more concerned in keeping up that Krueger-like image in his writing style and with all the accompanying bad language.A frat brother I didn't need to read.I don't mind an irreverent tone ala Bruce Campbell,for example,but there has to be a happy medium....somewhere.It was just not in this book.I look forward to Mr.Englund's next book when maybe,just maybe,he can deliver the goods he didn't in this one and really make "the flesh whole".

Buster Keaton: The Shorts Collection 1917-1923 (5 Discs)
Buster Keaton: The Shorts Collection 1917-1923 (5 Discs)
DVD ~ Roscoe Arbuckle Buster Keaton
Price: CDN$ 44.24
14 used & new from CDN$ 40.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Stone Face in a must have set!, July 3 2016
As the liner notes explain in this boffo five disc set of Buster Keaton's works with his mentor and good friend Roscoe Arbuckle,and his own works thereafter,these films are not copies of past releases but totally reconstructed elements/films from around the world.For instance we have two versions of The Blacksmith.The one we thought was the original turns out was a test/preview print that was never intended for general release.Now we finally get that version AND the released version,with about four minutes of entirely different footage.Then there is the original ending of Coney Island.As Keaton would use a similar gag in his Seven Chances years later,for some reason in this set they use the film version we are all familiar with(instead of inserting at the end where it should be) and have opted instead to have you view it as a stand alone bit of footage.That I cannot understand.Speaking of Coney Island,I should tell you also that the producers have opted to have a singer accompany the musicians on this track.All the songs are period pieces mostly relating to Coney Island.While I was aware that this was something usually smaller theatres did back in the day,this might catch many off guard who might never have heard it done before.I thought it worked fairly well.
You will not get Keaton's early works in any better condition and completeness than you see them here.Heretofore to buy all of these shorts in previous sets(and not nearly in the condition they are presented in here) you would have had to have paid a kings ransom.Now they are here all together and in great condition at a relatively reasonable price.It is a set no Keaton fan or silent film buff should be without.

Life of a Song
Life of a Song
Price: CDN$ 17.18
28 used & new from CDN$ 12.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, May 3 2016
This review is from: Life of a Song (Audio CD)
I loved it and I loved Joey and I love Rory...

Hard To Find Jukebox Classics 1957: Rhythm & Rock
Hard To Find Jukebox Classics 1957: Rhythm & Rock
Price: CDN$ 17.81
18 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Some nice rare songs mixed in with the usual and common classics., April 26 2016
This is,sonically speaking,a wonderful release.The tunes have been remastered very well and sound better than ever.There are a lot of great tunes on this CD."The Fool" and "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and...." were two of the reasons I bought this in the first place.Both of Charlie Grace's hits are here;"Fabulous" being the one that ruined his career with a law suit by Presley for plagiarism.His other "Butterfly" was a hit not only for him but Andy Williams as well.I am however disappointed that songs from Berry,Holly,Little Richard and Sam Cooke are included.These are quite common material to be had from numerous sources.Also common are "Silhouettes","Ain't Got No Home" and "Little Bitty Pretty One".I am also baffled as to why four songs from 1956 and one from 1955(!)are included? The best here are such tunes as the original and rare versions of "Lucky Lips"(later done by Cliff Richards),"Chain Gang"(later done by Sam Cooke) and "Sittin' in the Balcony"(later done by Eddie Cochran).Each song has a story behind it and there is a nice booklet included to fill in those facts.

Portrait Of A Legend: 1951-1964
Portrait Of A Legend: 1951-1964
Price: CDN$ 20.00
44 used & new from CDN$ 7.84

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST single CD release yet., April 23 2016
I have been looking for years for a release on CD that would do Mr.Cooke's legacy proud...and this is it.This one has all of Sam's major releases and his minor ones.His A Change is Gonna Come,is one of my faves and one that is usually left out of compilations.The sound is great and full.Also included is a hidden 31st track! It is about a half a minute talk with Sam by an announcer unknown(there is no explanatory note in the booklet)who asks Sam to hum some soul.
In conclusion, here you have the best general release on CD of Sam Cooke that you will ever find.I always listen for Lou Rawls backing vocals and with the great sound he is definitely in the house on the appropriate tracks.For the depth of music here and the good price,this is THE one to get.

Hits from Outer Space
Hits from Outer Space
Price: CDN$ 18.97
16 used & new from CDN$ 11.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint of heart...depending where your heart is!, April 23 2016
This review is from: Hits from Outer Space (Audio CD)
This 12 track,48 minute CD is a lackluster release for the good doctor.I have always loved every one of his eclectic releases but this one marks,for me,my first Demento disappointment.Exactly half the song list is taken up with tunes that are above the three minute level,four,five and one almost 12 minutes long! We have songs from Leonard Nimoy,good ol' Weird Al and Billy Mumy.The CD's song quality range from very good to poor.Leslie Fish's tunes(there are two) could have been left out altogether.It is too bad that some of William Shatner's songs couldn't have been obtained for inclusion.
In conclusion this release is a real let down.Very short on time and short on the number of quality songs included.Save your hard earned money and beam this CD to the Klingon home world....better them than us!

His New Swingin Band / Today / Plays Neil Hefti
His New Swingin Band / Today / Plays Neil Hefti
Price: CDN$ 27.56
21 used & new from CDN$ 8.82

2.0 out of 5 stars Harrys brilliance is handicapped by the remastering., April 7 2016
This release by Avid Jazz from England is a mixed bag,sound wise.These of course are taken from records,reprocessed,mastered and this is what we get.An all too common practice these days to get around proprietary International laws.Some are good ,others are terrible.This set falls somewhere in between.
Comparing them against the Verve releases which own the original MGM sessions,these fall short.The old reverb trick is used on many if not most of the music here to "enhance" it and it is too overdone for my liking.Along with the strong reverb is the remixing of the records so that many instruments in the originals that you hardly noticed,now are front and centre.The first rule in this kind of situation is to do as little as possible.Clean them up with your choice of noise remover,sure, but let the recordings "speak" for themselves.The crew that did this needed a muzzle.This set in a word?......poor.

Unreleased: Songs From The Vault Collection Vol. 02
Unreleased: Songs From The Vault Collection Vol. 02
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 27.74
14 used & new from CDN$ 11.78

2.0 out of 5 stars I will have to ask the boss for a LOT more gold!, April 6 2016
Here we go again,another consumer rip off.Tom,where are you when we need you? I just never thought it would come from the very family that he came from.There are around 200 songs to be released in this particular series and this set gives us just 17 more to listen to.The songs this time around are far and away more livelier than the first one.I can actually stay awake.In this one you will get to hear some good ol' American music mixed with some alternate takes of his own material,among others rare ones.Good stuff which on its own stands at a five star.
However this CD clocks in around 37 minutes give or take.We have room for more than twice that amount of music.You see where I am heading,right? As with the newly released "Old Time Favourites",Universal and the Connors clan intend to string this series out as far as they can to squeeze every ounce of gold out of Tom's loyal fans.Sure,they are entitled to earn a good buck off of this stuff,but when they stretch it out to this extent,it becomes too obvious we are all getting taken to the cleaners.As a loyal fan whose been one since the early 70s,who has bought about every record and CD he ever put out(and met that very humble man),this is far too much to take.Both this series and the other mentioned above should be black listed by every Tom fan in the country.I can't see Tom ever buying in to this kind of tactic and I for one will not let this one just fly by without saying something.Tom meant too much to too many folks in this great land, to let it stand.

Stompin' Tom Sings Old Time Favourites Volume 1
Stompin' Tom Sings Old Time Favourites Volume 1
Price: CDN$ 8.00
14 used & new from CDN$ 8.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for the music,two for the greed behind it all!, April 6 2016
The rip off continues....unfortunately.Between the Connnors estate and Universal music,both seem to be out to make what they can on Tom's memory before it all comes crashing down.
Yes,it is GREAT to see a release of those two rare 60 song albums,no doubt about it.I have the original two albums and from what the liner notes say the sound has been remastered/improved for this release.From what I can discern,some but not a whole lot.I am glad also that these albums are seeing the light of day because they kind of dispel the myth among some fans that Tom sang just his own material and/or nothing but Canadian tunes.The man had to start somewhere and early on he played dive after dive and smokey beer joints from one end of this country to the other.So he HAD to have a handle on a good repertoire in order to please those tough audiences;whether it was Canadian or American songs.
What I especially have a problem with is when it is so blatantly obvious that my pockets are getting picked,slowly but surely.This CD is just over 30 minutes in length,with 15 songs.With 60 songs on the first original set/records that's four CD's in all to be released.And then there is ANOTHER four CDs for the second set to come.Why not two,two-CD sets? In fact knowing the song lengths they may be able to squeeze each set onto just three CDs.That can be debated,but what cannot is the amount of money they will extract from we fans for the "honour" of hearing this material when all is said and done. This is not the only release they are hosing us with.The other series called "Unreleased Songs from the Vault" is also milking us slowly but surely, as they snail pace their way along with CDs around the same length as this one and around 200 songs to come in total !
In conclusion, all Stompin Tom fans will feel good about these rare tunes finally seeing their first CD release ever.But when all is said and done it will be bitter sweet when they add up exactly all they have paid for them in the process.Buy if you must.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20